Anthony Randolph: Making Hollinger look stupider by the day

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 51

Re: Anthony Randolph: Making Hollinger look stupider by the day 

Post#21 » by A_wildstabatanything » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:14 am

I was very high on Randolph before the draft and I'll be happy to see him make Hollinger eat it.

DeRozan will be the next guy to #### all over Hollinger's projections.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#22 » by killacalijatt » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:16 am

kingofkingz wrote:
frsh90 wrote:people here will find every way to deny Randolph's talents.. product of the system, summer league star, pt vs. weak squads, etc

??? we all are saying he is a good player, we just want him to do it in the regular season before we proclaim him a star. Also Daye has looked better than him so should we go around calling Daye great?

PS Imma go to sleep, its 1:10 here in the east coast. Bash Away.

He put similiar to better stats then Beasley in less minutes played IN THE REGULAR SEASON,
yet Beasleys gonna average 20ppg this upcoming season right?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#23 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:23 am

Chevelle2 wrote:Stupider?

:lol:

Actually stupider is a word :wink:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#24 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:28 am

As for Hollinger... his system is clearly far too raw right now to properly judge prospects. The guy ranks players' athleticism based on their steals and blocks, their court vision and ballhandling from their turnovers, etc. It's too basic. I think developing a system going in-depth on prospects is a good idea, but to do it every play and situation needs to be analyzed for these players. The problem with Hollinger is that he's one man and his financial resources are limited. Guys like Darryl Morey and Marc Cuban have much more advanced stat machines (that they're just not showing to anyone), because they have millions to spend on developing them. Apparantley they have stuff like "Ginobli scores or sets up a bucket 43.6% of the time when he goes left and 52.5% of the time when he goes right off a Tim Duncan pick and roll", for basically every player in the league. That's the stuff a real draft system needs to do... instead of ranking players' athleticism on steals and blocks, they need to find out their individual %s finishing in traffic, how much their first step allows them to penetrate, etc. Draft Express' numbers and analysis actually aren't bad.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#25 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:12 am

Some people still don't get my point, I'm not saying he's a star but at this point his floor is mediocrity which is still WAY better than JH "projected" for his future.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,669

Post#26 » by Roger Murdock » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:21 am

The thing is, Anthony Randolph still could be a bust, so wait a few years before making this post.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#27 » by BROWN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:11 am

What would classify him being a bust? He was the 14th pick in the draft, and so you don't expect anything more than just a role player at best.. He's already past that, and he's been inserted into the starting lineup of a Don Nelson squad. If anybody knows anything about Nellie, is that the guy hates playing young guys.. (Diogu, O'Bryant, Belly ...)

As far as bust goes, that shouldn't be talked about, most warrior fans believe he's going to be IT, there franchise player. He has great work ethic, he's driven and he plays with heart. He has the athleticism, the skills, and the IQ to be one, now if he doesn't reach that franchise player tag, then you can consider him a bust.

One year out of his rookie season, he can no longer be called a bust from what everyone expected out of him coming into the draft.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,605

Post#28 » by dc » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:52 am

Jase wrote:Somehow, I can see Don Nelson messing this up....

A lot of people think Nellie was somehow keeping Randolph down last year. In fact, all he was doing was coaching him, making him practice properly, and do what the coaching staff was asking of him.

Randolph had a rocky start to his rookie season. He spent the first couple of months finding out that playing time in the NBA must be earned. Nelson kept Randolph on the shelf for what seemed like forever to the 19-year-old.

But it paid off.

"He's been absolutely terrific," Nelson said. "Once he established his work ethic in practice, it's carried over to the games. He's been a model citizen and a perfect 19-year-old after the first 25 games or so. He's seen the light. I think he's going to be very good."

Randolph said he appreciates the hard line that Nelson took with him.

"He was trying to teach me that you have to work hard to play in this league," the slender forward said. "It helped me in the long run.
It's a very big adjustment [from high school or college]. Here, there's no such thing as a day off. In high school, it was a cakewalk."

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/d ... 5a9e1.html
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#29 » by boogydown » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:56 pm

People it's the summer league. Morrison is scoring 21PPG in the summer league....................
Ben_Dover
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#30 » by Ben_Dover » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Eveybody who keeps saying "It's just Summer League", you need to realize the hype for Randolph started last year, not this Summer League.
He was looking great in REAL games during the REGULAR SEASON. So by the end of last year Randolph was making Hollinger look stupid for what he said.
Randolph's continued great play in the Summer League was just bonus AND was expected by anyone who watched him play last year.

I mean for Hollinger to say this about the Warriors 14th pick in the draft last year:
"gambling on Randolph with a high first-round pick looks like the basketball equivalent of hitting on 19 in blackjack"
Well... Yup! this does make him look stupid. Seriously this kid is good.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#31 » by boogydown » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Ben_Dover wrote:Eveybody who keeps saying "It's just Summer League", you need to realize the hype for Randolph started last year, not this Summer League.
He was looking great in REAL games during the REGULAR SEASON. So by the end of last year Randolph was making Hollinger look stupid for what he said.
Randolph's continued great play in the Summer League was just bonus AND was expected by anyone who watched him play last year.

I mean for Hollinger to say this about the Warriors 14th pick in the draft last year:
"gambling on Randolph with a high first-round pick looks like the basketball equivalent of hitting on 19 in blackjack"

Nobody said Randolph was a bust (well some may have). He shows a lot of potential, it's just that he isn't looked upon as much because the draft was extremely talented. In this years draft, he could very well be a top 3 player.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#32 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:10 pm

boogydown wrote:
Ben_Dover wrote:Eveybody who keeps saying "It's just Summer League", you need to realize the hype for Randolph started last year, not this Summer League.

Nobody said Randolph was a bust (well some may have). He shows a lot of potential, it's just that he isn't looked upon as much because the draft was extremely talented. In this years draft, he could very well be a top 3 player.

Well JH still would have prly said according to his stats he's late 1st at best.
crzy
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#33 » by crzy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Do people not realize that Randolph put up 17/11 in the last month of the season last year? When he finally got starter minutes.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#34 » by Wade2k6 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 pm

He has some nice potential, but gets way overhyped on these boards. He's a 3rd or 4th option on a championship level team, much like Odoms role in his prime.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#35 » by Sid the Squid » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:46 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:He has some nice potential, but gets way overhyped on these boards. He's a 3rd or 4th option on a championship level team, much like Odoms role in his prime.
Well this "3rd of 4th option type" just got picked by TeamUSA over your 6'7 tweener boy Beasley.

How do you like them apples?
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#36 » by GswStorm3 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:He has some nice potential, but gets way overhyped on these boards. He's a 3rd or 4th option on a championship level team, much like Odoms role in his prime.

Overhyped lol. It's so hilarious how bitter you are because you still can't accept he'll be a better player than your 6'7 Small Forward Beasley.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,037

Post#37 » by RamonSessions7 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Yes! Jumping to conclusions of Randolph vs. Hollinger has now turned into jumping to conclusions on who is better between two players who have only played limited minutes in a rookie year.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#38 » by Wade2k6 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:09 pm

LOL I'd never guess you two would come after my post.

First off, Randolph can get picked over beasley all he wants for Team USA, I could care less. Second, he isn't a tweener. He has the ability to play SF and PF. I guess Wade is a tweener too because he has the ability to play PG and SG. LeBron too.

Second, why do GS fans continue to post his height at 6'7 ? He doesn't play basketball without shoes on. Usually most NBA players wear shoes when they play basketball, so Beasley is 6'8.5

Third, I find it hard to believe that a player that couldn't get more then 20 minutes on a team 25 games under .500 is better then the Heats 6th man who put up better stats and got more minutes on a better team.

But I mean, I guess that's some Warrior fans for ya. The same ones that think Anthony Morrow is the best undrafted player of all time after his rookie year. And the same fans who thought Brandon Wright was the next Chris Bosh. And the same fans who thought Bellani (or however you spell his name) was some great up-and-coming player. Oh well.
celticsfanforlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#39 » by celticsfanforlife » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Randolph will be a top 5 big beast in the league in the next 3 years..guaransheed...he is going to be crazy good...

Reminds me of a young KG to be honest...but maybe even more athletic :o
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#40 » by J-Rich- » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:20 pm

dcash4 wrote:summer league success doesn't equal pro success. thread is at least a yr premature.

regular season equals pro success though which he showed last season.

Return to The General Board