Anthony Randolph: Making Hollinger look stupider by the day

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Re: Anthony Randolph: Making Hollinger look stupider by the day 

Post#41 » by BROWN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:LOL I'd never guess you two would come after my post.

First off, Randolph can get picked over beasley all he wants for Team USA, I could care less. Second, he isn't a tweener. He has the ability to play SF and PF. I guess Wade is a tweener too because he has the ability to play PG and SG. LeBron too.

Second, why do GS fans continue to post his height at 6'7 ? He doesn't play basketball without shoes on. Usually most NBA players wear shoes when they play basketball, so Beasley is 6'8.5

Third, I find it hard to believe that a player that couldn't get more then 20 minutes on a team 25 games under .500 is better then the Heats 6th man who put up better stats and got more minutes on a better team.

But I mean, I guess that's some Warrior fans for ya. The same ones that think Anthony Morrow is the best undrafted player of all time after his rookie year. And the same fans who thought Brandon Wright was the next Chris Bosh. And the same fans who thought Bellani (or however you spell his name) was some great up-and-coming player. Oh well.

If Beasley were to have been invited to the USA camp, and Randolph wouldn't have, I can bet you would've cared and use that to argue your point that Beasley is "hype".
You can't justify height by mentioning guys who play a complete different position. How many tweener powerforwards are there that have made an impact on a great variety? at max 5. Randolph is 6'11 and close to 220 pounds now. Randolph had to fight to get his minutes, it wasn't handed to him on a plate like Beasley. In there last months, when both got significant amount of PT, Randolph played much better, but in that case it's true that Randolph was on a lottery team, and Beasley was playing for playoff positing. Anyways, allot of people on this board and blinded by his potential and don't want to admit that the kid is going to be good. I guess they haven't watched enough basketball to see a star at a young age. It's aright they will be eating their words in a few years.
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant
And1: 64

Post#42 » by FlashTheKilla » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:31 pm

The fact that you think that Beasley was handed his minutes on a plate makes you lose all credibility.
Monterey
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#43 » by Monterey » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:Third, I find it hard to believe that a player that couldn't get more then 20 minutes on a team 25 games under .500 is better then the Heats 6th man who put up better stats and got more minutes on a better team.

The most stupidest thing I've ever read. I am now dumber from reading that. No really? He got better stats because he was the 6th man, with more minutes on a better team? I never realized that.
MaryvalesFinest wrote:Draft picks-A+, Earl Clark is already the best defender in this draft class and has the potential to be the second best player.

:lol:
BROWN
RealGM

Post#44 » by BROWN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:32 pm

FlashTheKilla wrote:The fact that you think that Beasley was handed his minutes on a plate makes you lose all credibility.

Compared to Randolph, Beasley was given a buffet.. Think before you speak child.
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by FlashTheKilla » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:35 pm

brownwarriors wrote:
FlashTheKilla wrote:The fact that you think that Beasley was handed his minutes on a plate makes you lose all credibility.

Compared to Randolph, Beasley was given a buffet.. Think before you speak child.

Simply due to the expectations that were put forth. We gave Beasley a shot at the very beginning because he was the #2 pick, but then when we realized that he just was not ready he was fighting his ass off for more minutes the entire season.
I am Ra
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#46 » by I am Ra » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:41 pm

celticsfanforlife wrote:Reminds me of a young KG to be honest...but maybe even more athletic :o

:lol: oh my lord. How are their games similar?
BROWN
RealGM

Post#47 » by BROWN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Still doesn't change the fact he was given his minutes on some nice silverware. Randolph played it the traditional way, a rookie fighting for minutes starting from the beginning, as oppose to Beasley who was given the chance, then he got it taken away cause he didn't live up the expectations, or couldn't handle playing that role, so he was degraded, that says allot about a guy ... eh?
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#48 » by eslr » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Randolph is overhyped because GS fans keep pumping him as their franchise player......the next great thing. Maybe he will be, but he isn't even close right now. Offensively he has a long, long, long ways to go.

It's a little annoying because GS fans on this boar did the same thing with Brandan Wright until Randolph came along. Seems like there's a ton of bandwagons to jump on and off of.
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by FlashTheKilla » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Of course he gets degraded, he's an immature 19 year old kid. But he fought through it, and he's in the process of becoming a more complete player, as evidenced by his improved statistics in every area towards the end of the season.

And if you're talking about degradation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsDzac4fXg

These kids are boys playing in a league of men.

They all need to grow up in their own way. No rookie is exempt from this fact.

I think Randolph is going to be a great player, check my thread on your GSW board. It's on the 2nd page.

There is no need to shoot Beasley down in order to prop Randolph up. People are already starting to notice that he is going to be ridiculous.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#50 » by floppymoose » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:57 pm

It's been clear that Hollinger knows nothing about basketball for a long time. Anyone who saw Randolph at all at any point since he was drafted can tell that the kid has enormous potential. That justifies his draft position regardless of what happens next.

I'm sure a lot of GM's in the top 13 picks of 2008 regret passing on him.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#51 » by GswStorm3 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:LOL I'd never guess you two would come after my post.

First off, Randolph can get picked over beasley all he wants for Team USA, I could care less. Second, he isn't a tweener. He has the ability to play SF and PF. I guess Wade is a tweener too because he has the ability to play PG and SG. LeBron too.

Second, why do GS fans continue to post his height at 6'7 ? He doesn't play basketball without shoes on. Usually most NBA players wear shoes when they play basketball, so Beasley is 6'8.5

Third, I find it hard to believe that a player that couldn't get more then 20 minutes on a team 25 games under .500 is better then the Heats 6th man who put up better stats and got more minutes on a better team.

But I mean, I guess that's some Warrior fans for ya. The same ones that think Anthony Morrow is the best undrafted player of all time after his rookie year. And the same fans who thought Brandon Wright was the next Chris Bosh. And the same fans who thought Bellani (or however you spell his name) was some great up-and-coming player. Oh well.

Didn't Wade just call Beasley slow footed? Too short to play PF at 6'7, too slow to play any defense or blow past anybody at SF. That's the definition of a tweener.

Randolph simply has the better all-around game than Beasley and he's already grown to nearly 7 feet with the size advantage over Beasley. He showed his improvement on his jumper in the SL and that's exactly why he'll get a Team USA invite over Beasley which I know you care about despite you saying you don't.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#52 » by Sid the Squid » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Of course they care
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#53 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Anthony Randolph is a FREAK. He just doesn't compare. He's one of those guys where stats don't and CAN'T tell you how good a guy can become. Randolph has all the tools to be the next big thing.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#54 » by Wade2k6 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:15 pm

LOL And I'll continue to post that you don't play basketball without shoes on. Beasley is 6'8.5 with shoes on and considering you play basketball with shoes, I don't know why GS fans continue to post that he's 6'7. He is not too short to play PF.

The biggest advantage of him being a SF and PF is that at the SF spot he has the quickness to be able to get by the bigger SF's and the ability to post-up the smaller SF's. And at PF he has the ability to blow by just about anybody, while having a great mid-range shot to compliment that. He is not a tweener, he just has the ability to play both spots.

And Randolph doesn't have a better overall game. He plays better defense, while Beasley is better offensively.

Lastly, I like how you state that Beasley is 6'7 (without shoes on), but you say Randolph is "nearly 7 feet" when his pre-draft measurement was 6'9. If you are going to use the measurements of Beasley without his shoes on, why wouldn't you use the same for Randolph? I know damn well Randolph didn't magically grow 3 inches to become "nearly 7 feet". Obviously you're using Randolphs measurements with shoes on (6'10 .25) and using Beasleys measurements without shoes on (6'7) to make it seem like Beasley is more of a tweener.

EDIT: To GSstorm
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#55 » by GswStorm3 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:LOL And I'll continue to post that you don't play basketball without shoes on. Beasley is 6'8.5 with shoes on and considering you play basketball with shoes, I don't know why GS fans continue to post that he's 6'7. He is not too short to play PF.

The biggest advantage of him being a SF and PF is that at the SF spot he has the quickness to be able to get by the bigger SF's and the ability to post-up the smaller SF's. And at PF he has the ability to blow by just about anybody, while having a great mid-range shot to compliment that. He is not a tweener, he just has the ability to play both spots.

And Randolph doesn't have a better overall game. He plays better defense, while Beasley is better offensively.

Lastly, I like how you state that Beasley is 6'7 (without shoes on), but you say Randolph is "nearly 7 feet" when his pre-draft measurement was 6'9. If you are going to use the measurements of Beasley without his shoes on, why wouldn't you use the same for Randolph? I know damn well Randolph didn't magically grow 3 inches to become "nearly 7 feet". Obviously you're using Randolphs measurements with shoes on (6'10 .25) and using Beasleys measurements without shoes on (6'7) to make it seem like Beasley is more of a tweener.

EDIT: To GSstorm

If he has this quickness, why is Wade calling him slow footed? I love how you totally dodged that question.

Randolph's mid range jumper has improved a lot since the end of last season. It's now become very arguable that he's closed the gap on Beasley offensively since Beasley does not dominate the low block with any low post moves.

Maybe I didn't use the same double standard with the height, but with or without shoes Randolph was always taller than Beasley regardless.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#56 » by realfung » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:54 pm

No doubt AR4 will be a beast given him playing time and the most important thing is AR4 is very hungry for showing his talent and ablility.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#57 » by boogydown » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:55 pm

crzyyafrican wrote:Do people not realize that Randolph put up 17/11 in the last month of the season last year? When he finally got starter minutes.

Lot of people have good months.

Anyway, it makes me wonder why GS would want Amare. They have all the pieces, just need time now. I do expect this team to be pretty close to making the playoffs this season. I am not sure what you guys are going to do with all those guards, but Morrow seems like a guy you want off the bench. You still don't have a true PG.

If you break down last years draft though, it was one of the best.

1. CHI -- Derrick Rose - potential superstar
2. MIA -- Michael Beasley - potential all star, high scorer/rebounder
3. MIN -- O.J. Mayo - potential all star, extremely high scorer
4. SEA -- Russell Westbrook - potential all star, high scorer
5. MEM -- Kevin Love - potential all star, high scorer/rebounder
6. NYK -- Danilo Gallinari - unknown
7. LAC -- Eric Gordon - potential all star, extremely high scorer
8. MIL -- Joe Alexander - unknown
9. CHA -- D.J. Augustin - potential all star, extremely efficient PG
10. NJN -- Brook Lopez - potential all star, one of the leagues better centers
11. IND -- Jerryd Bayless - starter, high scorer
12. SAC -- Jason Thompson - starter, decent PF
13. POR -- Brandon Rush - unknown
14. GSW -- Anthony Randolph - potential all star, high scorer/rebounder

Besides Rose being the obvious #1, who is the top 10?
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#58 » by eslr » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:01 pm

boogydown wrote:
crzyyafrican wrote:Do people not realize that Randolph put up 17/11 in the last month of the season last year? When he finally got starter minutes.

Lot of people have good months.

...and FWIW, he didn't even put that up.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#59 » by Wade2k6 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:06 pm

GswStorm3 wrote:If he has this quickness, why is Wade calling him slow footed? I love how you totally dodged that question.

He is slow-footed defensively. Offensively, he has no problem getting by defenders.

Randolph's mid range jumper has improved a lot since the end of last season. It's now become very arguable that he's closed the gap on Beasley offensively since Beasley does not dominate the low block with any low post moves.
Yeah it might be arguable that he has closed the gap, but that certainly doesn't mean he's as good an offensive player as Beasley. And just to add, just because Randolph improves doesn't mean that Beasley can't either. It seems from the videos at Heat.com that Beasley has improved his handle a lot and has been working on his defense and intensity/energy.

I don't understand what Beasley not dominating on the block has to do with anything. Randolph certainly doesn't dominate the block, and Beasley is defininetly the better face up player right now. He is just a more skilled and talented offensive player.

Maybe I didn't use the same double standard with the height, but with or without shoes Randolph was always taller than Beasley regardless.

I agree with that. I've never argued that. But to use Beasleys height without shoes but use Randolphs height IN shoes is unfair. And while Randolph has the advantage in height, Beasley has the advantage in strength and weight.

And just to add, i just looked up Randolphs stats and he didn't average 17 and 11 for the last month, he averaged 15, 10.5, 1.6 on 47% in 32 mpg. Not to say those aren't good numbers, but they aren't 17 and 11. Beasleys last month he put up 20.5, 8.5, 1.6 on about 47% in 31 mpg.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#60 » by boogydown » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Randolph Stats end of the season

Last 8 games
15.1 PPG - 32.3 MPG - 10.6 RPG

Last month
11.7 PPG - 27.3 MPG - 8.8 RPG

So yes he didn't even come close to the 17/11 stats mentioned above.

These are Tyrus Thomas end of the year stats, not KG :)

Return to The General Board