Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden now?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Is it still too early or Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden over Durant?

It is still too early to decide
57%
Portland made a huge error taking Oden over Durant
43%

Total votes: 167

J-Hawk04
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden now? 

Post#221 » by J-Hawk04 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:02 pm

IIRC, all the coaches and reporters out at USA mini camp were all saying Oden was a big surprise and looked great and most labeled him the best defensive big man at the camp. This is strictly my opinion, but i think Oden is going to come back healthy with a vengeance, and a heck of a lot more of confidence in himself.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Post#222 » by Joker » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Ask us again in February.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,570

Post#223 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:31 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:
Dr Mufasa wrote:If Roy and Durant could conserve energy by spreading the offensive load, they could both be LOCKDOWN defenders. Roy was in college and has the size and mobility for it and beside a Durant or Lebron I believe he'd settle into a Pippen like role. Durant of course should grow into a great defender with his length, and as he plays off the ball a lot he'd fit in great offensively beside Roy. That's why I think a Roy/Durant combo would've not only been great, but potentially truly scary. They could've been an offensive/defensive wing combo at a level not seen since MJ and Pip

So in your opinion, Durant should grow into a great defender.

Why is it alright to speculate that Durant can be a great defender when he has never shown any signs of being a great defender? Using your methodology, which is strictly opinion, it is equally likely that Oden stays healthy, gets his fouls under control because he will be in shape and able to rotate quickly and will also get the 15 ppg his PER suggests he would get if he stayed on the court. All this while be a defensive shot blocking monster that rebounds at an elite level. At least my opinions are based on something factual where your Durant defense opinion is just that.

He's a SF with a 7'2 wingspan, of course that gives him great defensive potential. I don't know if he'll reach if he's carrying the load offensively, but if he was beside a Roy, sure. I think Durant will be an elite defender eventually though because he's great at playing off the ball, which should give him the energy to try on the other end. It'll probably take him 5 years like it did Lebron, but I'm confident he'll get there
D-31
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#224 » by D-31 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:45 pm

farzi wrote:
TJ11 wrote:Seeing how he's already better than Portland's best player (Roy), yes it can be said that Portland colossally messed up by taking Oden.

Roy on last years Thunder would have won several more games.

Oden on last years Thunder would have won several more games.

Dr Mufasa wrote:He's a SF with a 7'2 wingspan, of course that gives him great defensive potential. I don't know if he'll reach if he's carrying the load offensively, but if he was beside a Roy, sure. I think Durant will be an elite defender eventually though because he's great at playing off the ball, which should give him the energy to try on the other end. It'll probably take him 5 years like it did Lebron, but I'm confident he'll get there

He's also skinny as a twig and if he tries to bulk up, you know his shooting numbers are going to drop. There's no way Durant is ever going to become a good defender simply because he's only concerned about shooting and not making his teammates better.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,321

Post#225 » by JordansBulls » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:47 pm

J-Hawk04 wrote:IIRC, all the coaches and reporters out at USA mini camp were all saying Oden was a big surprise and looked great and most labeled him the best defensive big man at the camp. This is strictly my opinion, but i think Oden is going to come back healthy with a vengeance, and a heck of a lot more of confidence in himself.

He better.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
karlmoats
Ballboy

Post#226 » by karlmoats » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 pm

Not yet. The Blazers have some very interesting pieces in place this season. It takes a year or two to get over an injury of that magnitude. I mean yeah, the Blazers would probably redo it knowing what they do now but I still think Oden's bound for a big season this year.

The kid is still only 21 years old. Let's watch what Roy, Alridge and Co. get out of Oden this season. With a real PG, I think Oden gets more looks so his points and rebounds should soar. No doubt about it, Kevin Durant will be a superstar. I'm just not willing to rule out Oden's stardom yet.

Karl Moats
FantasySportsAtLunch.com, Writer
Check out my latest post: It's (Andre) Miller Time For The Blazers Big Men
http://fantasysportsatlunch.com/7/2009/its-andre-miller-time-for-portlands-big-men
Love/Hate It? Email me at tips@fantasysportslunch.com
sportsfreak475
Ballboy

Post#227 » by sportsfreak475 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:52 pm

Greg "The Fouling Machine" Oden!
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,570

Post#228 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:00 pm

D-31 wrote:
farzi wrote:
TJ11 wrote:Seeing how he's already better than Portland's best player (Roy), yes it can be said that Portland colossally messed up by taking Oden.

Roy on last years Thunder would have won several more games.

Oden on last years Thunder would have won several more games.

Dr Mufasa wrote:He's a SF with a 7'2 wingspan, of course that gives him great defensive potential. I don't know if he'll reach if he's carrying the load offensively, but if he was beside a Roy, sure. I think Durant will be an elite defender eventually though because he's great at playing off the ball, which should give him the energy to try on the other end. It'll probably take him 5 years like it did Lebron, but I'm confident he'll get there

He's also skinny as a twig and if he tries to bulk up, you know his shooting numbers are going to drop. There's no way Durant is ever going to become a good defender simply because he's only concerned about shooting and not making his teammates better.

His weight should only matter if he wants to move to PF. At SF it won't be a big deal if he's skinny, it's not like SFs are posting him up.
chaldean
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#229 » by chaldean » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:57 am

This season will decide it all.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#230 » by Flash3 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 am

D-31 wrote:

What are you trying to prove by continuously insulting the kid with mind numbingly (Please Use More Appropriate Word) comments that make NO sense to begin with?

D-31 wrote:Durant is comparable to career loser George Gervin, but not as good.

D-31 wrote:Durant HURTS his team. Durant isn't even as productive to team wins as Stephon Marbury was.

D-31 wrote:Right now Durant is nothing more than a ballhog who can't win anything.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#231 » by Guy986 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 am

Sour grapes.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,539

Post#232 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:31 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
scramm on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:45 am

Durant isn't crazy over-rated. The guy averages 25 a game on 48% shooting. That's a great SF.

G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

53 50 34.4 9.2 18.5 .498 0.0 0.1 .000 6.6 8.3 .797 2.7 4.2 6.8 2.2 1.3 0.4 2.9 2.7 25.1
This player averaged 25.1ppg(from the SF position btw) while shooting 49.8%. Would you consider him a good player? Most don't because he never helped his team win. Stats are very nice but until wins follow they are essentially meaningless.. Zach Randolph has put up good to great stats for several years but is not considered a good player because his teams lose,Jamaal Crawford has put up good numbers and this player,Orlando Woolridge, had several very good years statistically but never helped his teams win.
Both Durant and Oden are at the beginnings of their careers. It is still too early to judge either of them great or bust.

First of all, you're comments about Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph putting up good numbers are completely off base. They are two of the most inefficient players in the league at their respective positions. Unless you just look at PPG, RPG and APG and think "good stats". But I doubt you'll find many people here who ignore TPG, FG%, eFG% and PER when looking at a player's stats.

Durant will be 21 years old this year. Knocking him for last year is like knocking LeBron, Wade and Melo for not winning the gold in 2004. These guys were teenagers! Do you understand the concept of potential and maturity?

Some many all these players that put up 25 PPG on 50% as 20 year olds. LeBron and... that's it? Horrible company to be in, for sure.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager

Post#233 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:36 am

obinna wrote:Durant is not better than Roy, and what does Lopez have to do with anything?

Who knows such things? The season hasn't started yet. And I didn't see Durant or Roy on the court yesterday.

Durant wasn't better than Roy in May, but yes, there is a chance that in November, Durant will be the better basketball player. Durant passing Roy is a question of when, not if. And quite possibly this year.
J-Hawk04
Junior

Post#234 » by J-Hawk04 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:41 am

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
obinna wrote:Durant is not better than Roy, and what does Lopez have to do with anything?

Who knows such things? The season hasn't started yet. And I didn't see Durant or Roy on the court yesterday.

Durant wasn't better than Roy in May, but yes, there is a chance that in November, Durant will be the better basketball player. Durant passing Roy is a question of when, not if. And quite possibly this year.

I tend to think that it will be a little later than this year that Durant passes Roy, my reasoning being that Roy is still improving, and is still approaching his peak. I just don't buy that Durant's rise is going to be so meteoric that he catches up and passes a still improving Roy all in one season. But that's my opinion, and it will be a very interesting comparison to keep track of this season.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#235 » by Esohny » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:45 am

Yes. And one didn't have to wait until now.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Visirale
Bench Warmer

Post#236 » by Visirale » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:07 am

J-Hawk04 wrote:IIRC, all the coaches and reporters out at USA mini camp were all saying Oden was a big surprise and looked great and most labeled him the best defensive big man at the camp. This is strictly my opinion, but i think Oden is going to come back healthy with a vengeance, and a heck of a lot more of confidence in himself.

If that's our gauge of future potential, Durant is the GOAT.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/new ... id=4352887
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#237 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 am

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:
scramm on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:45 am

Durant isn't crazy over-rated. The guy averages 25 a game on 48% shooting. That's a great SF.

G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

53 50 34.4 9.2 18.5 .498 0.0 0.1 .000 6.6 8.3 .797 2.7 4.2 6.8 2.2 1.3 0.4 2.9 2.7 25.1
This player averaged 25.1ppg(from the SF position btw) while shooting 49.8%. Would you consider him a good player? Most don't because he never helped his team win. Stats are very nice but until wins follow they are essentially meaningless.. Zach Randolph has put up good to great stats for several years but is not considered a good player because his teams lose,Jamaal Crawford has put up good numbers and this player,Orlando Woolridge, had several very good years statistically but never helped his teams win.
Both Durant and Oden are at the beginnings of their careers. It is still too early to judge either of them great or bust.

First of all, you're comments about Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph putting up good numbers are completely off base. They are two of the most inefficient players in the league at their respective positions. Unless you just look at PPG, RPG and APG and think "good stats". But I doubt you'll find many people here who ignore TPG, FG%, eFG% and PER when looking at a player's stats.

Durant will be 21 years old this year. Knocking him for last year is like knocking LeBron, Wade and Melo for not winning the gold in 2004. These guys were teenagers! Do you understand the concept of potential and maturity?

Some many all these players that put up 25 PPG on 50% as 20 year olds. LeBron and... that's it? Horrible company to be in, for sure.

Actually if you read my entire post I'm not knocking Durant. I am saying that it is still too early to judge him OR Oden. The stats he has put up are quite good but good stats without wins means very,very little. In Durants defense he has only played two seasons. Then again thats my point isn't it?WE need a few more seasons before judging these players. BTW did you realize Zachs career PER is 19.3(according to basketball reference.com http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/randoza01.html Durants is only 18.3
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
J-Hawk04
Junior

Post#238 » by J-Hawk04 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:10 am

Visirale wrote:

If that's our gauge of future potential, Durant is the GOAT.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/new ... id=4352887

I didn't saying anything about that's how we're going to judge a player's talent, just used it as an example to support that maybe he is improving a bit over this offseason.
RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Post#239 » by RapsVC15 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 am

EGame wrote:

No...

Durant pretty much outdid Roy in every statistical category across the board last season, and this was while teams were geared to stop him and him only. RThe only guy that took any sort of pressure off Durant was Green, and a raw rook in Westbrook.

It isn't Durant's fault that he doesn't have Aldridge, Outlaw, Oden, Fernandez, etc. and an owner with deep pockets backing him up.

*waits for Blazers fans to bring up Roy's amazingly awesome leadership abilities*
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager

Post#240 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:BTW did you realize Zachs career PER is 19.3(according to basketball reference.com http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/randoza01.html Durants is only 18.3

Durant's PER as a 19 year old is pretty irrelevant.

Did you know Randolph also posted a higher PER than LeBron in 2003-04? Randolph = GOAT?

Return to The General Board