Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden now?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Is it still too early or Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden over Durant?

It is still too early to decide
57%
Portland made a huge error taking Oden over Durant
43%

Total votes: 167

quackquack
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden now? 

Post#261 » by quackquack » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:52 pm

erekose200 wrote:No, some fan bases are definately bigger homers then others. Note that when Durant is getting criticised Thunder fans don't try to take over.

Thunder fans?
deadfeather
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#262 » by deadfeather » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Malinhion wrote:(2) the fact that you brought it on yourselves with the hype machine.

You know, I think this is really the root of it all here. As if from high school Blazer fans created a hyperbowl out of Greg Oden, created a Greg Oden watch on ESPN during his college tenure, then miraculously Portland wins the lottery the year he enters the draft and hyperbowls themselves as being an immediate dynasty.

It started out as envy/respect Portland got both Roy/Aldridge in the same draft. To jealousy that the same team that owned the 2006 draft lucked out and won the 2007 lottery, to hatred when analysts during the draft called the stroke of luck as making Portland a possible dynasty.

Since then every little hiccup Portland has is hyperbowled out of proportion. Oden has microfracture knee surgery to repair some thinning cartilage on a non weight bearing portion of his knee. Oden states to the media he noticed something may have been wrong when he experienced some nagging pain getting off the couch one day. It's spin to other fans is AS IF he had to have total reconstruction surgery to his knee after suffering a heinous career ending like injury after simply getting off his couch. Skip to the next season, Oden hurts his ankle coming down on Bynums foot during his first game of the season... the spin? Injury prone Oden blows out his knee again after simply playing five minutes of NBA basketball. Skip to the all star break, Magette collides his metal knee brace into Oden good knee, the collision chips some bone off Odens knee and he is out for 15 games. The Spin? Oden is now officially an injury prone bust of epic proportions.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#263 » by Malinhion » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:45 pm

What is a hyperbowl?

Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,993

Post#264 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Malinhion wrote:For the third time today, do you guys ever get tired of playing the victim?

deadfeather wrote:Since then every little hiccup Portland has is hyperbowled out of proportion.

Hmmm...you might be on to something.

Although, it's certainly not isolated to Blazers fans. Toronto fans are just as defensive about Bargnani, and lord knows there's a huge chunk of my own Laker fan base that gets whipped into a frenzy any time Kobe is sleighted even marginally.

Frankly, I think all fan bases will do this to a certain degree.

All that aside, Blazers fans have made a great case. I was squarely in the Portland-screwed-up camp, and while it still can't be completely judged at this point, I now recognize that Oden had a much bigger impact last season that I had realized.

So ultimately, the victimization stance of some aside -- AZ Blaker's whining takes the proverbial cake -- this has been an excellent, informative thread.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#265 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:Can't be confirmed yet, but it's looking ominous.

For the Portland fans saying "well we were #1 in offense last year, thus Durant wouldn't do anything more for us than Oden"... sorry, but that's bull. We'll see if that holds up in a few years when Roy, Aldridge, and Oden (who will still get 10 mil even if he's a "bust"... call it the Darko/Kwame 'someone will still believe he can break out' rule. Plus I think Oden's floor is Chandler/Dalembert as a player), are making 45 million together and you have as much depth as everyone else. Once those rookie contracts start running out, Portland like most teams will have to rely on their top 3-4 guys. At which point a Roy, Durant, Aldridge trio would've locked up contendership for a decade, while Roy, Aldridge, and Oden is either going to turn out really, really good, or really, really disappointing (they'd probably be level with where Utah and New Orleans are right now... which is still likely a playoff team, but overall, pretenders)

What's with all the hate simply because Portland drafted well and has a terrific young team? If you have a shot at a very talented SF or a very dominant C, you go with the C every single time. Find me 3 GM's that would have taken Durant instead of Oden. Oden was the choice then and he's still the choice. The guy deserves 3 years before y'all start raggin on him calling him a bust, particularly considering he had MF surgery. The hate on this board is just ridiculous. If y'all are that dissatisfied with your own team, rag on them and don't complain about every other team in the league.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
gordeng
Junior
And1: 12

Post#266 » by gordeng » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:26 am

deadfeather wrote:
Malinhion wrote:(2) the fact that you brought it on yourselves with the hype machine.

You know, I think this is really the root of it all here. As if from high school Blazer fans created a hyperbowl out of Greg Oden, created a Greg Oden watch on ESPN during his college tenure, then miraculously Portland wins the lottery the year he enters the draft and hyperbowls themselves as being an immediate dynasty.

It started out as envy/respect Portland got both Roy/Aldridge in the same draft. To jealousy that the same team that owned the 2006 draft lucked out and won the 2007 lottery, to hatred when analysts during the draft called the stroke of luck as making Portland a possible dynasty.

Since then every little hiccup Portland has is hyperbowled out of proportion. Oden has microfracture knee surgery to repair some thinning cartilage on a non weight bearing portion of his knee. Oden states to the media he noticed something may have been wrong when he experienced some nagging pain getting off the couch one day. It's spin to other fans is AS IF he had to have total reconstruction surgery to his knee after suffering a heinous career ending like injury after simply getting off his couch. Skip to the next season, Oden hurts his ankle coming down on Bynums foot during his first game of the season... the spin? Injury prone Oden blows out his knee again after simply playing five minutes of NBA basketball. Skip to the all star break, Magette collides his metal knee brace into Oden good knee, the collision chips some bone off Odens knee and he is out for 15 games. The Spin? Oden is now officially an injury prone bust of epic proportions.

http://www.answers.com/hyperbole
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#267 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:32 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Malinhion wrote:
AZ BLAZER wrote:That is what I and most Blazer fans use in these types of debates becasuse most fans of other teams just throw out a comment like "oden is a bust," or "Oden is made of glass." They are just throwing crap out to get a rise without having any numbers to back up their opinions. It is much like posters that throw random crap out about Bargs being a bust and Raps fans coming out in force with per/36 numbers and pleading for more time before opinions are formed.

Blazers fans do a plenty good job getting a rise out of themselves. They don't need any incitement.

if that is my goal, there are much better websites for "rises" then RealGM

Link!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
retrospect24
Starter
And1: 37

Post#268 » by retrospect24 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:10 am

Malinhion wrote:What is a hyperbowl?

:lol: :lol:
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#269 » by JordansBulls » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:10 pm

Malinhion wrote:I agree with them, for the most part.

1. Its way too early to judge Oden.
2. Roy is better than Durant.

Getting supremely defensive about it at every occasion is just annoying.

So is this a make or break year for Oden?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#270 » by BballFanAddict » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

No, with clarification.

If Oden does not improve this year over last year then I believe a case can be made that he will never live up to any of the hype. However, if he only marginally improves ( lets say double / double and 1.5 to 2 blocks) then the kid will show his progression is going well.

Anyone who thought Oden would tear it up after one injury plauged college year had delusions of grandeure. Big men take longer to develop because they play a "Man's Game" as opposed to wings and guards who mostly fly about the perimeter with little physicality (outside of screens and with the hand check rules they float around pretty much at will).

Really, all Oden has to do this year is improve overall in the eyes of his fans and teammates to be successful, because according to a lot of people he already is a bust. I personally will give him at least 2 more years.
AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Post#271 » by AZ BLAZER » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:51 pm

BballFanAddict wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

No, with clarification.

If Oden does not improve this year over last year then I believe a case can be made that he will never live up to any of the hype. However, if he only marginally improves ( lets say double / double and 1.5 to 2 blocks) then the kid will show his progression is going well.

Anyone who thought Oden would tear it up after one injury plauged college year had delusions of grandeure. Big men take longer to develop because they play a "Man's Game" as opposed to wings and guards who mostly fly about the perimeter with little physicality (outside of screens and with the hand check rules they float around pretty much at will).

Really, all Oden has to do this year is improve overall in the eyes of his fans and teammates to be successful, because according to a lot of people he already is a bust. I personally will give him at least 2 more years.

+1

Defense and rebounding is what he was drafted for. If he develops a go to move and can put up 15 ppg, great. He should be able to do that through free throws, put backs and just one offensive move per quarter.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#272 » by Patterns » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:44 pm

BballFanAddict wrote:

Big men take longer to develop because they are raw and usually drafted for size and athleticism. Guards take less time to develop because their skills are already there.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,091
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#273 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Malinhion wrote:For the third time today, do you guys ever get tired of playing the victim?

deadfeather wrote:Since then every little hiccup Portland has is hyperbowled out of proportion.

Hmmm...you might be on to something.

Although, it's certainly not isolated to Blazers fans. Toronto fans are just as defensive about Bargnani, and lord knows there's a huge chunk of my own Laker fan base that gets whipped into a frenzy any time Kobe is sleighted even marginally.

Frankly, I think all fan bases will do this to a certain degree.

All that aside, Blazers fans have made a great case. I was squarely in the Portland-screwed-up camp, and while it still can't be completely judged at this point, I now recognize that Oden had a much bigger impact last season that I had realized.

So ultimately, the victimization stance of some aside -- AZ Blaker's whining takes the proverbial cake -- this has been an excellent, informative thread.

LOL at this guy, reading through threads, looking at analysis, and making informed decisions.

SMH Sedalle. SM Effin H.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#274 » by JordansBulls » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 pm

Patterns wrote:Big men take longer to develop because they are raw and usually drafted for size and athleticism. Guards take less time to develop because their skills are already there.

Huh!! Big men are the ones that come into the league as superstars from the get go.

Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, DRob, Ewing, Sampson, Walton to name a few

For guards who came in a star? MJ, Magic, Oscar and West
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
EtchenBa
Starter
And1: 573

Post#275 » by EtchenBa » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Why the hell did you bump this?
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#276 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:12 pm

EtchenBa wrote:Why the hell did you bump this?
Cheers. :beer: — Mags

Return to The General Board