Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden now?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Is it still too early or Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden over Durant?

It is still too early to decide
57%
Portland made a huge error taking Oden over Durant
43%

Total votes: 167

deadfeather
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden now? 

Post#81 » by deadfeather » Sun Aug 9, 2009 5:40 pm

Flash3 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Flash3 wrote:Hey it's ok. I'll give Kwame a few more years to develop. 8-)

If Kwame was an elite level prospect, you might have a point, but as it stands, we haven't seen a guy with Oden's talent or better flop, unless it was injury related.

Injured, recovering, out of shape, Rookie Greg Oden was far better than Kwame has ever been.

Make a joke about him looking old, and the circle will be complete.

Valid points, but with someone with an early injury history into their career, how does it set a precedent of things to come? In his 1st 2 years he hasn't shown to be healthy and play even half a season, let alone get consistent minutes because of conditioning and all related to those injuries. I'd understand had he put 1-2 seasons together and played consistently in those seasons, and then something happened, fine.

But, I'm definitely giving him the benefit of the doubt, as he's EXTREMELY young and at the same time very raw, so he can grow out of these issues. But, as mentioned earlier, at this current time Durant would really supplant this team in more ways than one than Oden and the potential to be on the floor can, IMO.

He missed 21 games his second season. That means he played 3/4 of last season, not half.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#82 » by Flash3 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 5:45 pm

deadfeather wrote:
He missed 21 games his second season. That means he played 3/4 of last season, not half.

I went on to elaborate on that point. -- Read on.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
quackquack
Senior
And1: 0

Post#83 » by quackquack » Sun Aug 9, 2009 5:52 pm

Flash3 wrote:
farzi wrote:
Flash3 wrote:
Well coincidentally what is Oden? He wasn't any factor, or much I should say in his team getting there. He's got a great team around him with an even better coach.

Durant's team in OKC is only now coming together.

Portland went from one of the worst defensive teams to one in the top half of the league, and their rebounding numbers skyrockted from the season he sat out.

So, what are you arguing? He sat out (not in game) as you stated, and their numbers went up. OK and?

:roll:
deadfeather
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#84 » by deadfeather » Sun Aug 9, 2009 5:55 pm

Flash3 wrote:
deadfeather wrote:

... I don't see anywhere where you elaborate on Oden not being able to play half an NBA season. He missed one NBA season, came back, and played 3/4 of an NBA season.

If you meant play half his career games then that is different but still ignorant. He had microfracture surgery, not a consistent string of multiple injuries his first year to justify adding the year he was drafted into the equation. He wasnt even really injured that year he just had thin cartilage that was going to need to be fixed at some point in his career.

You people make it seem like got off his couch one day and his knee went out like Sean Livingstons.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#85 » by Joana » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:11 pm

Not definitely. However, the risk of that happening has increased substantially. I'm pretty sure that if he had the chance of going back in time, Pritchard would now pick Durant.
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#86 » by Sn0wman » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:14 pm

I think so, hes had the same number of seasons as Durant, he got injured and missed 1 season and alot of games, even if you give him more seasons to develop he still wont be in the all-star category. Durant's already there hes just improving every season, and Oden cannot catch up to him, cuz Durant keeps improving at a faster rate. Its like the Tortoise and the Hare, but this time the Hare wins. Plus teams and players hate the rebuilding stage, Durant would have been a better pick and would have had a much bigger impact on Blazers than Oden.
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#87 » by sabi » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:15 pm

Flash3 wrote:Valid points, but with someone with an early injury history into their career, how does it set a precedent of things to come? In his 1st 2 years he hasn't shown to be healthy and play even half a season, let alone get consistent minutes because of conditioning and all related to those injuries. I'd understand had he put 1-2 seasons together and played consistently in those seasons, and then something happened, fine.

But, I'm definitely giving him the benefit of the doubt, as he's EXTREMELY young and at the same time very raw, so he can grow out of these issues. But, as mentioned earlier, at this current time Durant would really supplant this team in more ways than one than Oden and the potential to be on the floor can, IMO.

Oh, Kwame is as old as Greg Oden. :lol:

You and others just keep posting the same arguments, that have already been refuted, over and over. Why not open a Durant ball sucking thread and leave Oden out of it b/c it's clear a lot of people here don't know much about him.
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#88 » by Cro_Ruption » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:24 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:Part of this debate seems motivated by a belief that Oden has had little positive impact on the Blazers while Durant's impact on OKC has been huge.

Durant's impact on OKC has been such that the team went from a 32 win season to a 20 win season in his first year. And in the following season, supposedly Durant's breakout season, OKC climbed all the way up to 23 wins from 20. A 3 win increase, and still 9 less then before he arrived.

Now, I know it's not all on Durant that OKC still sucked last season, but if he's such a phenomenal talent, with, as one poster put it "heart and the will to win", you'd expect more then a 3 win improvement. Brandon Roy took a 21 win team and led them to successive seasons of 32, 41, and 54 wins. Durant, with the mantle of RealGM greatness newly bestowed, ought to be able in 2 seasons to match what Roy did in 1, but apparently not.

On the other hand, in the know-little world of RealGM, Oden's impact on the Blazers is either ignored or dismissed:

In 2007/08, Portland ranked in the bottom half of the league in every rebounding category. IIRC, they were about 20th in overall rebounding pecentage, and about 18th in defensive rebounding rate and 23rd in offensive rebounding rate.

Contrast that to Oden's first season: Portland led the NBA in both overall rebounding percentage and offensive rebounding percentage. And they were 5th in defensive rebounding rate. Oden was the only roster addition to affect that. Rudy fernandez certainly didn't strengthen Portland's rebounding numbers. This was all due to Oden.

And that is a huge impact to portland's fortunes. To go from a weak rebounding team to the best rebounding team is a simple testament to what Oden will bring to the floor for the Blazers and it's something that is ignored here all the time...like in this thread

+1000000

Oden has a big impact on the Defensive end, hes a shot changer, shot blocker, rebounder. Once he gets his quickness back and becomes lighter he'll be a much better defender. We all know he's never going to have a good offensive game, like shaq or hakeem, or robinson, but imo he can be a Dwight Howard type of player, not on the same talent level but close to it,

Also to the kid that said Durant > Roy, do some research, Roys a 2x allstar, who let his team to 10+ twins every year. Durant went from 20 to 23. Do the math and tell me who the better player is. Put Artest on Durant every game for 6 straight games and see if he an score 30+ on him, i doubt it.
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#89 » by 5DOM » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:25 pm

farzi wrote:Portland was the most efficient offensive team last season. Adding another scorer would help, yes. But it would do nothing to improve their greatest weakness: defense. Infact, adding Durant over Oden would make it worse, and then we'd ahve what? Channing Frye as backup C?

So you would take a backup C over a legit #1/2 option on any team?
gswhoopsman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#90 » by gswhoopsman » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:29 pm

Bskey wrote:Why would you make this thread in the middle of the off season?

Lets let Oden play another season or two why don't we. Whether people are right or wrong about him, going off of a season of recovery, not to mention his rookie year is just of stupid.
Catchall:The Bucks traded him for Monta Ellis and did well in that trade.If they can move Biedrins and Jefferson without losing much more than Barnes and another pick, I will be genuinely impressed.Iguodala is a short-sighted contract. Overrated player.
Th3RaptorSwag
Analyst
And1: 507

Post#91 » by Th3RaptorSwag » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:43 pm

I wouldn't say they messed up taking Oden but Durant is definately better and I believe he will be better than Oden in the future also.
Toronto Raptors
Orlando Magic
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Flash3 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:51 pm

deadfeather wrote:
Flash3 wrote:
deadfeather wrote:

... I don't see anywhere where you elaborate on Oden not being able to play half an NBA season. He missed one NBA season, came back, and played 3/4 of an NBA season.

If you meant play half his career games then that is different but still ignorant. He had microfracture surgery, not a consistent string of multiple injuries his first year to justify adding the year he was drafted into the equation. He wasnt even really injured that year he just had thin cartilage that was going to need to be fixed at some point in his career.

You people make it seem like got off his couch one day and his knee went out like Sean Livingstons.

NOKGAI said to give the kid time of which I agreed, but as I also said:

Valid points, but with someone with an early injury history into their career, how does it set a precedent of things to come? In his 1st 2 years he hasn't shown to be healthy and play even half a season, let alone get consistent minutes because of conditioning and all related to those injuries. I'd understand had he put 1-2 seasons together and played consistently in those seasons, and then something happened, fine.

Given his issues to start his career, how do we know it can only get better for him and these are not going to linger on and on? As mentioned before, I'd understand had he been Amare-like (with his injuries, not play) where he put a few seasons together, then got the injury and had trouble putting consistent PT together, fine. But, he hasn't.

But, as mentioned before, he's still young and very raw, let's see where he comes in 1-2 years.....
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Flash3 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:53 pm

sabi wrote:
Flash3 wrote:Valid points, but with someone with an early injury history into their career, how does it set a precedent of things to come? In his 1st 2 years he hasn't shown to be healthy and play even half a season, let alone get consistent minutes because of conditioning and all related to those injuries. I'd understand had he put 1-2 seasons together and played consistently in those seasons, and then something happened, fine.

You and others just keep posting the same arguments, that have already been refuted, over and over. Why not open a Durant ball sucking thread and leave Oden out of it b/c it's clear a lot of people here don't know much about him.

You do that, I'll stay out of it. -- That isn't my kind at all.

And, this is exactly where it stands right now with the way some are making it out to be in defending Oden, but it's still very early.....

5DOM wrote:
farzi wrote:Portland was the most efficient offensive team last season. Adding another scorer would help, yes. But it would do nothing to improve their greatest weakness: defense. Infact, adding Durant over Oden would make it worse, and then we'd ahve what? Channing Frye as backup C?

Champipple
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#94 » by Champipple » Sun Aug 9, 2009 6:55 pm

Bottom line for me is that it's still too early to tell. Probably by the end of this season we'll know for sure for both Durant and Oden.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#95 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Aug 9, 2009 7:10 pm

Didn't this JordansBulls guy post this last off season too ?

Anyway to answer the question...........the answer is NO. Why on earth would they take Durant when they had Roy ? Roy is already an All Star, Durant isn't. Roy has been the main cog in the turn around of the Blazers and has gotten his team to the playoffs, Durant hasn't.

As far as Oden, Portland needed in the worst way a big. A big who given by all the projection could be an All Star for many years. Portland has Durant's position filled 3 deep anyway, with Webster, Outlaw and Roy.

Oden is in the perfect situation in Portland, he won't be counted on to win games that's Roy's job. While Durant is counted on to help OKC win games, but his years will be wasted because it'll be a while before they win like Portland.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by Cro_Ruption » Sun Aug 9, 2009 7:13 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:Didn't this JordansBulls guy post this last off season too ?

Anyway to answer the question...........the answer is NO. Why on earth would they take Durant when they had Roy ? Roy is already an All Star, Durant isn't. Roy has been the main cog in the turn around of the Blazers and has gotten his team to the playoffs, Durant hasn't.

As far as Oden, Portland needed in the worst way a big. A big who given by all the projection could be an All Star for many years. Portland has Durant's position filled 3 deep anyway, with Webster, Outlaw and Roy.

Oden is in the perfect situation in Portland, he won't be counted on to win games that's Roy's job. While Durant is counted on to help OKC win games, but his years will be wasted because it'll be a while before they win like Portland.

this man knows whats he's talking about
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
dvdrdiscs
Junior
And1: 6

Post#97 » by dvdrdiscs » Sun Aug 9, 2009 7:25 pm

It's fair to give Oden more time due to his injuries but in the end, will he become a better player than Durant? Although I expect him to be sidelined a few more times in his career, assuming he's healthy from here on out, will he still be better than Durant? Probably not.
twinthunder3
Veteran

Post#98 » by twinthunder3 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 7:25 pm

It doesn't matter, its not like they are going to win the championship had they selected anyone else in the draft anyway.
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#99 » by sabi » Sun Aug 9, 2009 7:39 pm

Flash3 wrote:
sabi wrote:

You do that, I'll stay out of it. -- That isn't my kind at all.

And, this is exactly where it stands right now with the way some are making it out to be in defending Oden, but it's still very early.....

5DOM wrote:

So you think Oden won't improve and always be a backup? And if it's so early why are people making such definitive statements? Hope you guys don't mind eating crow later on.
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#100 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Aug 9, 2009 7:51 pm

One of the arguments that was not addressed I'd like to rehash: If you have Kevin Durant/Brandon Roy, it would be the closest thing to Jordan/'PIppen. But neither of those two had a real legitimate big man. You got Lamarcus Aldridge.

You got those 3 guys, what you need Oden for? Honestly, you can get away with a defensive oriented C.

C-Joel Pryzbilla(Ended up playing the majority of the mins anyway)
PF-Lamarcus Alridge
SF-Kevin Durant
SG-Brandon Roy
PG-Steve Blake

That team has outside shooting, slashing and post play in the SAME lineup.

Exactly what Portland Nation was looking for: THIS off-season.

The Oden pick is a BUST, in terms of both titles and level of play.

Return to The General Board