How come there is no age limit for players from overseas?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

How come there is no age limit for players from overseas? 

Post#1 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 9:34 pm

I had never thought of this before, but I heard JA Adande kind of bring up this point on Around the Horn.

How come there is a mandatory age limit for players entering the NBA if you're born in the US, but if you are a player from overseas you can come over at the age of 18 ( Adande was talking about about Rubio)

thoughts?
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
MichaelH
Senior
And1: 0

Re: How come there is no age limit for players from overseas? 

Post#2 » by MichaelH » Thu Sep 3, 2009 9:37 pm

NCAA promotion
Orlando 97, Dallas 82
Cthulhu wrote:Orlando has to shoot out of their a** from three just to win games. Sad.
RAblaze
Senior
And1: 877

Post#3 » by RAblaze » Thu Sep 3, 2009 10:47 pm

At 18, most European players have played a few years of professional ball. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but it seems it would make them more prepared for the NBA then High Schoolers.
MitchSlapped
Starter
And1: 32

Post#4 » by MitchSlapped » Thu Sep 3, 2009 11:00 pm

I think you need to be 18 or turning 19 by seasons tip off.
a_sensei
Analyst
And1: 658

Post#5 » by a_sensei » Thu Sep 3, 2009 11:36 pm

The rule is the same for overseas players. It would really surprise me that JA didn't know this. It's the reason that Ricky Rubio couldn't put his name in the draft the year before. There is no "one year of college" rule. American players are free to play another year of high school (if eligible), play JC ball, or go overseas (like Jennings). No player is eligible for the NBA draft that will not be 19 by season tip off.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#6 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 11:42 pm

a_sensei wrote:The rule is the same for overseas players. It would really surprise me that JA didn't know this. It's the reason that Ricky Rubio couldn't put his name in the draft the year before. There is no "one year of college" rule. American players are free to play another year of high school (if eligible), play JC ball, or go overseas (like Jennings). No player is eligible for the NBA draft that will not be 19 by season tip off.

thanks for the clarification....didn't know that
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#7 » by evilRyu » Thu Sep 3, 2009 11:57 pm

a_sensei wrote:The rule is the same for overseas players. It would really surprise me that JA didn't know this. It's the reason that Ricky Rubio couldn't put his name in the draft the year before. There is no "one year of college" rule. American players are free to play another year of high school (if eligible), play JC ball, or go overseas (like Jennings). No player is eligible for the NBA draft that will not be 19 by season tip off.

that's what i thought as well
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 955

Post#8 » by Devin 1L » Thu Sep 3, 2009 11:57 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:I had never thought of this before, but I heard JA Adande kind of bring up this point on Around the Horn.

How come there is a mandatory age limit for players entering the NBA if you're born in the US, but if you are a player from overseas you can come over at the age of 18 ( Adande was talking about about Rubio)

thoughts?

This is an age limit for both. You've got to be 19 during the calendar year and, if American, one year removed from High school.

Technically, there could be 18 year old Americans as well. For example, had this rule been in place when I graduated, and I were a prospect, I could have been drafted as an 18 year old. I graduated at 17 (no grade skipping) -- a few months later turned 18, after one year of university I was still 18 (when I would be drafted) -- a few months after being drafted I'd turn 19 (during the calendar year).
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#9 » by Dr Aki » Fri Sep 4, 2009 12:19 am

maybe JA was talking about how there isnt an age limit outside the NBA compared to the NBA

maybe cos hes talking about how rubio has had 4 yrs of professional experience compared to at most 1 yr of NCAA basketball for american players
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,403

Post#10 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Sep 4, 2009 1:19 am

The age limit is stupid. Adults should be allowed to play. So many of the best players in the NBA never went to college
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#11 » by Heat3 » Fri Sep 4, 2009 2:10 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:The age limit is stupid. Adults should be allowed to play. So many of the best players in the NBA never went to college

This isn't about the players, it's about protecting the stupid teams from themselves. How many garbage players declare for the draft and don't ever contribute and if they do take years to become a mediocre talent? Very few can contribute right away. Every highschool star can't be Kobe or Lebron. Many are Dorell Wright's or worse. Drafting these crap players ruins the basketball product and thus hurts the league.

Anyway, the NBA can do whatever it wants. It's a private organization. Playing in the league is not a right, it's a privilege.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Return to The General Board