Ariza throws punch at Derozan. [suspended 1 game]

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Re: Ariza throws punch at Derozan. 

Post#141 » by basketball royalty » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 am

MHZ wrote:People need to calm down a bit. I know if it happens to somebody on your team, all of a sudden you're required to become Mother Theresa, and just be so concerned about everybody's well being out there.

To act like he tried to hurt him, or anything like that is pretty foolish. Pretty hard to premeditate something when it's a split second reaction on a loose ball. Was it stupid? Absolutely, and he deserves a suspension, but let's not make it out to be more than it is.

If that is your first reaction then you are a douche. I mean it was a clean steal, not like he took a shot before to get his juices flowing. He should be gone for 1-2 games for that.
props to Turbozone for the sig
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,697

Post#142 » by knicksNOTslick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:04 am

I think it should be 2 games. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure, Ariza didn't connect but you can't encourage people from taking frustation shots at unsuspecting players.

But if you think about it, had he connected, it might not be just a 5 game suspension. Just imagine how Jack would react if Derozan's on the floor hurting. It had the potential to lead to a fight and who knows what else. It would be 5 games PLUS whatever might have happened afterwards.
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#143 » by JimmyTD3 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:13 am

Trevor Ariza = Stephen Jackson.

look at the height, the weight, the shooting percentages, the punching of people. The career trajectory (go from really good role player to a mediocre primary shooter) is there too. Seriously, how wierd
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#144 » by Storm Surge » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:14 am

Ariza wasn't even throwing a punch, he was throwing an elbow if there even is such a thing. Clearly Ariza was caught between throwing his hand in frustration and being mad at DeRozan for stealing the ball.

If he was trying to hit DeRozan, he would have led with the fist and not an elbow. If Ariza wanted to hit DeRozan, he would have thrown a punch and with his reach he would have made contact with DD easily. You clearly see on the replay that either Ariza was holding back or he wasn't even trying to hit anyone.
Raconteur
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#145 » by Raconteur » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:16 am

RapsGM wrote:Bosh is a certified bum. It seemed like he didnt even want to go over there. Ariza just lucky that Rasho was on the bench and being restrained by the assistant coaches.

Most of the players on the court didn't even know what was happening, Bosh went there hessitantly because he had no idea what was happening but saw his buddy Jack confronting Ariza. Triano had to explain what happened. IMO Bosh was smart not to jump into something without thinking. This isn't hockey, the players came to play the game not fight.
by turbo zone.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 808

Post#146 » by Ito » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:33 am

i asked and no body responded.. did shaq get suspended when he try to punch brad miller? He missed... but i cant remember if he got suspended... if he didnt, no reason for Ariza to get suspended
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#147 » by basketball royalty » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:35 am

Ito wrote:i asked and no body responded.. did shaq get suspended when he try to punch brad miller? He missed... but i cant remember if he got suspended... if he didnt, no reason for Ariza to get suspended

I am pretty sure he did, don't remember for how long though, prob just a game or two.
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#148 » by LakersSquad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:47 am

Rallyks wrote:was watching the raps/rockets game... Ariza, in the midst of a 0-9, 4 TO game, turns the ball over to Derozan and then takes a swing at the back of Derozans head... getting himself ejected. Although, he didn't connect, it was a stupid play and he should be suspended.

EDIT: Heres a link.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/2009/1 ... index.html

Ariza's a good dude Deronzan must have done something
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#149 » by LakersSquad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:49 am

ScaLoPhobiA wrote:from twitter:

clutchfans Ariza ejected after throwing a punch towards DeRozan. Ariza is 0-9 from the field so not surprisingly he missed.

:lol:

:lol:
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#150 » by rdtx2005 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:50 am

LakersSquad wrote:
Rallyks wrote:was watching the raps/rockets game... Ariza, in the midst of a 0-9, 4 TO game, turns the ball over to Derozan and then takes a swing at the back of Derozans head... getting himself ejected. Although, he didn't connect, it was a stupid play and he should be suspended.

yeah.. steal the ball from him
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#151 » by basketball royalty » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:50 am

LakersSquad wrote:

Rhianna too I guess.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 808

Post#152 » by Ito » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 am

basketball royalty wrote:
LakersSquad wrote:

Rhianna too I guess.

Oh but she did do something. Derozan didnt do nothing.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#153 » by sanity » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:15 am

Man... if that would've connected Demar would have easily been knocked out cold. Guess a miss is the difference between being suspended for 1 or 2. games instead of 20+.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#154 » by Volcano » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 am

How much is your sentence reduced when you try to murder someone but fail?
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,146

Post#155 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:03 am

I'm sure it's easier to get parole and stuff if no one died and you "rehabilitated"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 887288309#
Carmelo got 15 for a punch and run*'

Like someone said before, I think he meant to swing but didn't actually mean to hit him.
I say:
2 games for this
5 games for a real missed punch
15 games for connecting

*(Not sure how many were for the punch and how many were for hurting the games image by running like a girl)
p3scador
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#156 » by p3scador » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:20 am

Damn it Ariza is on my fantasy team... nice reflexes from Derozen though
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#157 » by Dupp » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:39 am

its hard to tell if he was actually trying to hit him. i thought he was at first, but can't be 100%.

i gotta say though trying to hit someone in the back of the head is as dog act as they come, i dont care if it was an elbow or fist it's spineless. so if he was actually trying to hit him the guy is a punk. being frustrated at his own poor shooting is hardly an excuse.

people have likened him to kg, ron and jackson in this thread. though jackson and ron have done some not so good things and kg is just an idiot on the court it's not really the same at all.
aznkillabeezZz
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#158 » by aznkillabeezZz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:09 am

He shouldnt be suspended. He was 0-9 . Everybody knew he had a 0 percent chance of connecting with that swing. He was just punching air out of frustration.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#159 » by chefy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:57 am

Cammo101 wrote:The best part of this whole thing is Toronto's point guard is their enforcer.

lol
lovedef
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#160 » by lovedef » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm

a 1 game suspension is needed. If nothing is done, Rudy,Derozan who will be the next?
www.trade-keys.com NFL jersey,NBA jersey,MLB jersy,NHL Jerseys

Return to The General Board