Ariza throws punch at Derozan. [suspended 1 game]

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Re: Ariza throws punch at Derozan. 

Post#61 » by MHZ » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:34 pm

PopsMensahBonsu wrote:It wasnt much because he didnt connect but had it connected like he was trying to then he could of seriously hurt demar. It was similar to the bertuzzi incident. So i think this deserves a 2 game suspension at the least

Nice overstatement there.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#62 » by CB-Blazer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:
360 wrote:He shouldn't have done it, but to me, it doesn't look like he was actually trying to hit him. If he wanted to hit him, he would have extended his arm. Instead, he tucked it in and sort of swung at the air. Either way he should be punished for it but I don't think he really wanted to hit him.

I'm pretty sure he tucked his arm to get more force on the punch, but that's just my assessment of the ordeal. :o

Yeah, I don't think people realize how much an elbow with that much force behind could cause to the back of the head/neck.

The worst part of it was, is that he tried to hurt a completely unprotected player. Derozen had his back turned and was dribbling down court.

Ariza=pussy.
mcleex
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#63 » by mcleex » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 pm

I wonder what Triano was saying to the team .. he pointed at his elbow during the huddle and said some stuff
Hobo Gonzolez
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#64 » by Hobo Gonzolez » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 pm

youtube upload of the incident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrgd5v184Xs
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,455

Post#65 » by Slava » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 pm

Ariza might be known to the casual fan to be a shy and reserved guy who would just mind his business and do nothing wrong, which is true on most counts but his fiery temper has been very less documented or reported. Dude's got a real short fuse.

He got into Sasha's face during a timeout for missing a defensive rotation once when he was with the Lakers and there were reports that B Shaw had to hold him back just to calm him down.

That was vicious though, he'd get 1-2 games for that and could have been worse had it connected. He'd lose some respect points with his fans for throwing a punch on a rookie who had his back to him.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#66 » by 5DOM » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:37 pm

So what happened to the guy Bertuzzi punched?
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by MHZ » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

People need to calm down a bit. I know if it happens to somebody on your team, all of a sudden you're required to become Mother Theresa, and just be so concerned about everybody's well being out there.

To act like he tried to hurt him, or anything like that is pretty foolish. Pretty hard to premeditate something when it's a split second reaction on a loose ball. Was it stupid? Absolutely, and he deserves a suspension, but let's not make it out to be more than it is.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,455

Post#68 » by Slava » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

mcleex wrote:I wonder what Triano was saying to the team .. he pointed at his elbow during the huddle and said some stuff

I don;t think most raptors players and even Derozan had an idea of what happened. Everyone had their backs towards Ariza when the incident happened so I guess he must be telling them what happened. i don't think even Jack was confronting Ariza, looked much more like a "What did you do there?" kind of query.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,053

Post#69 » by Raptor_Guy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

5DOM wrote:So what happened to the guy Bertuzzi punched?

Never got to play hockey again
mcleex
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#70 » by mcleex » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Due to continued post-concussion syndrome, Colorado opted not to give him a qualifying offer after his rookie contract expired, and he has had minimal contact with the Avalanche ever since. Moore also turned down a two-way contract from the Anaheim Ducks.[1]

To date Moore has not been medically cleared to return to professional hockey. He has returned to his hometown of Thornhill, Ontario.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by MHZ » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:40 pm

He punched him from behind, then drove his neck into the ground, ending his career. It was clearly premeditated to get back at Steve Moore for a hit earlier in the season. Not even close to the same thing.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#72 » by Gus McCrae » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:41 pm

yeah,lost some respect for Ariza there. The thing that stands out to me the most is that Jarrett Jack is everything the Raptors need. Sucks that the hardest player on their team is a PG, but it's a good start. I always admire the players that stick up for their teammates.
DumbyTheWizard
Starter
And1: 58

Post#73 » by DumbyTheWizard » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:41 pm

j-far wrote:He got into Sasha's face during a timeout for missing a defensive rotation once when he was with the Lakers and there were reports that B Shaw had to hold him back just to calm him down.

He probably just hates Sasha so he took advantage of the situation and started yelling at him. That happens to everyone...
Kobe>Jordan>God wrote:I'm starting to suspect that Rivers isn't even a real doctor.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,040

Post#74 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:43 pm

It better be atleast 2 games. Skiles just got suspended for throwing an airpunch 20 feet away after a horrible call. Here Ariza throws a legit punch at a player in the middle of a game.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#75 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:44 pm

MHZ wrote:To act like he tried to hurt him, or anything like that is pretty foolish. Pretty hard to premeditate something when it's a split second reaction on a loose ball. Was it stupid? Absolutely, and he deserves a suspension, but let's not make it out to be more than it is.

He is just lucky he didn't connect. Rabbit punches are no jokes...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#76 » by Cammo101 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:45 pm

The best part of this whole thing is Toronto's point guard is their enforcer.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#77 » by 5DOM » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:45 pm

MHZ wrote:

He punched him from behind, then drove his neck into the ground, ending his career. It was clearly premeditated to get back at Steve Moore for a hit earlier in the season. Not even close to the same thing.

I know what happened (because it was on TV 24/7 for months). I meant what's Moore doing now.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#78 » by Jaykoolzboy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 pm

Cheap shot by Ariza, btw this has nothing to do with Ron Artest, LALF.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#79 » by TheDunc » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:52 pm

MHZ wrote:
PopsMensahBonsu wrote:It wasnt much because he didnt connect but had it connected like he was trying to then he could of seriously hurt demar. It was similar to the bertuzzi incident. So i think this deserves a 2 game suspension at the least

Nice overstatement there.

Overstatement because the punch didnt connect but both intents were pretty clear. Derozan just so happened to speed up fast enough or else he would of been knocked in the back of his head and maybe sent to the ground. The out comes were different but thats because derozan was able to avoid the punch. I dont see how im overstating this much :roll:
cuad
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#80 » by cuad » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:55 pm

:lol: It just doesn't look right when the Raptors stand up for their players. It looks like they were thinkin' uh oh we better pretend to be tough because they gave us all that business over the Chris Bosh incident.

Return to The General Board