Dirk Nowitzki is the most underrated Star in the NBA

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

_SRV_
Analyst
And1: 2

Re: Dirk Nowitzki is the most underrated Star in the NBA 

Post#81 » by _SRV_ » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Dirk didn't have amazing good teams, he had good teams, but he still had inferior talent than every championship superstar. Dirk has failed miserably against GS, but if he wins a ring (won't happen) it will all be forgotten, KG was putting empty stats in Minny back in the day and now he's on top of the world.
Also, every superstar had a great supporting cast behind him, can people really compare having guys like Shaq, Pierce, Ray Allen and Rondo, or Manu and TP to Josh Howard and JT, really? That's comparable in your eyes? For what Dirk is doing he is the most underrated superstar in the league.
xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Kobe gets bailed out more than Wall Street.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#82 » by 83SixersRocked » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:56 pm

DunkOnFace wrote:underrated is the new overrated and vice versa...seriously these two words are all but meaningless on realGM

Agreed 100%.

Having said that, I do agree with the title of the post, IF you're going by the amount of press he gets. Of the premier players in the league, it's the guys that play above the rim that get the most press (unless they have a crazy girlfriend), and he's not a human highlight film kind of player. The players respect him; they have to. IMO he's sure-fire HOF, and if he played in a city with a larger market he'd have a bigger buzz around him. Does he care? I think he'd rather have a title.
etopn23
Head Coach
And1: 160

Post#83 » by etopn23 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:50 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Dirk is a fantastic player, but it's not just about who has the best #2 player, it's the team and Dirk does have some good teammates.

Anyway, I don't see Dirk getting serious MVP consideration this season unless he can carry the Mavs to the 60-win level. Being 2nd in the West isn't good enough, the Mavs have to be up there with the top teams.

He's always going to be penalized by the fact that he's a 7ft PF who doesn't rebound better, defend better, and protect the paint better.

He's not having a career year stat-wise, and I don't believe he's even top-3 in any single category.

What?
Cthulhu
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#84 » by Cthulhu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 am

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=977848&start=45

And this is why I make this thread.
SadKingsFan
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#85 » by SadKingsFan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:55 am

Cthulhu wrote:Umm, "consecutive playoff failures"? Leading a mediocre team to the NBA Finals is a failure?

The guy is one of the best playoff performers of all-time. He's putting up 26/11 in the playoffs, I think it's only FOUR guys have EVER done that. Among those that haven't: TD, KG, Malone (both of em), MccHale, Webber, DRob, ect.

He had one bad series against a team that was just a nightmare matchup for that Mavs team, and would have been a 4/5 seed had they been healthy/ had Harrington/Jax all year. In that series, Dirk was doubled and tripled, his teammates did NOTHING, his coach was outcoached and he still put up 20/11/3, albeit on a terrible shooting %. And that's the worst.

So that mitigates a 26/11 playoff career, including almost a dozen 30/15 games, a 50 point game, and a 30/11 average in Elimination Games?

Right.

Just stop. Are you kidding me? Mediocre? That team was from that. You can make your point without making up outrageous things.
Puertorique
Banned User

Post#86 » by Puertorique » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 am

BCT wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:Yep, you're right. 32 year old Stackhouse, out of the NBA Croshere and can't get off the Bobcats bench Diop are all studs. Dirk has basically played with 80s Celtics caliber teammates. Who cares if their stats suck. On any given night Josh Howard can score 50 points. Silly me. Lock thread. Lets start a new one, Dirk v. Maurice Taylor.

Let's cut to the meat of the matter here...What the hell do you want from us?

Do you want everyone to agree with you or do you just want to argue?

Nobody really gives a damn about Dirk either way so you are spinning your own wheels man.

If Dirk retired right now the league wouldn't lose any money or miss a beat. Lord forbid we lose the German market.

I don't think anyone here really knows what the hell you are after with this thread.

I don't like you. It's not because of what you said about Dirk, it's because you have no basketball knowledge and know that from this day forward nothing you ever say will be fully respected by the people at realgm. You make your remarks about Dirk like he is Devan George. No the NBA will miss Dirk, realgm would not miss you if you disapeared tomorrow though, I'm sure, me, many Maverick, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, Spurs, NBA fans in general agree with that also.
KOBE_PAUER
Banned User

Post#87 » by KOBE_PAUER » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 am

He is rated as a Superstar, and he was MVP once, So how he is underrated??? Underrated would be Gasol or Joe Johnson IMO.
Hitman33
Bench Warmer
And1: 97

Post#88 » by Hitman33 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:31 am

Sting3r wrote:You can bring up their stats so far this year and claim otherwise but you cant deny that the talent is their.

there
wang000hk
Sixth Man
And1: 253

Post#89 » by wang000hk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:23 pm

How is the 03-04 Mavericks is not talented?
Look at their rosters
Nash,Finley,Jamison,Walker in their prime,Howard and Daniels in their rookie year
That's one of the the most talented teams at that time
jourdy
Starter
And1: 960

Post#90 » by jourdy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:07 pm

wang000hk wrote:How is the 03-04 Mavericks is not talented?
Look at their rosters
Nash,Finley,Jamison,Walker in their prime,Howard and Daniels in their rookie year
That's one of the the most talented teams at that time

That team had the worst defense in the history of the game!
I remember those times :lol: :lol:
BCT
Banned User

Post#91 » by BCT » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Puertorique wrote:
BCT wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:Yep, you're right. 32 year old Stackhouse, out of the NBA Croshere and can't get off the Bobcats bench Diop are all studs. Dirk has basically played with 80s Celtics caliber teammates. Who cares if their stats suck. On any given night Josh Howard can score 50 points. Silly me. Lock thread. Lets start a new one, Dirk v. Maurice Taylor.

Nobody really gives a damn about Dirk either way so you are spinning your own wheels man.

If Dirk retired right now the league wouldn't lose any money or miss a beat. Lord forbid we lose the German market.

I don't think anyone here really knows what the hell you are after with this thread.

I don't like you. It's not because of what you said about Dirk, it's because you have no basketball knowledge and know that from this day forward nothing you ever say will be fully respected by the people at realgm. You make your remarks about Dirk like he is Devan George. No the NBA will miss Dirk, realgm would not miss you if you disapeared tomorrow though, I'm sure, me, many Maverick, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, Spurs, NBA fans in general agree with that also.

Oh sweet baby Jesus...My soul is crushed because some guy on the internet doesn't like me. Oh Lord have mercy on my soul!

Oh Lord he even volunteered the entire Real GM site as more people who don't like me. Oh sweet and wonderful Lord save me!...Save me from the judgement of master Puertorique! My soul is in despair and deep anguish because I am not a fan of Dirk Nowitski!

Save me Lord. For I know nothing about basketball and that's why I attend NBA games on the regular and coach young kids. Oh powerful Lord please have Puertorique be merciful with his oh so meaningful and credible judgment upon me.

Lord for we all know the mystical and powerful feats that Puertorique is capable of just with the mere thought of doing so. Lord I once saw Puertorique save a young horse from a burning barn by winking his eyes so I know that I am no match to him and his omnipotent eternal greatness.

Save me......
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 555

Post#92 » by BmanInBigD » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:03 pm

(Quote from BCT)

I don't think anyone here really knows what the hell you are after with this thread.[/quote]

I don't like you. It's not because of what you said about Dirk, it's because you have no basketball knowledge and know that from this day forward nothing you ever say will be fully respected by the people at realgm. You make your remarks about Dirk like he is Devan George. No the NBA will miss Dirk, realgm would not miss you if you disapeared tomorrow though, I'm sure, me, many Maverick, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, Spurs, NBA fans in general agree with that also.[/quote]

Oh sweet baby Jesus...My soul is crushed because some guy on the internet doesn't like me. Oh Lord have mercy on my soul!

Oh Lord he even volunteered the entire Real GM site as more people who don't like me. Oh sweet and wonderful Lord save me!...Save me from the judgement of master Puertorique! My soul is in despair and deep anguish because I am not a fan of Dirk Nowitski!

Save me Lord. For I know nothing about basketball and that's why I attend NBA games on the regular and coach young kids. Oh powerful Lord please have Puertorique be merciful with his oh so meaningful and credible judgment upon me.

Lord for we all know the mystical and powerful feats that Puertorique is capable of just with the mere thought of doing so. Lord I once saw Puertorique save a young horse from a burning barn by winking his eyes so I know that I am no match to him and his omnipotent eternal greatness.

Save me......[/quote]

Well, some of your comments ARE ridiculous. Comparing Pau to him cuz he has a ring? Please. He's a failure and what's he ever done? This:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... tdi01.html

9 straight All-NBA teams, 4 first and 3 second-team. Maybe you should watch games w/o slobbering all over your Lakers. Let Kobe tell you how soft he is:

“He's tough," said Bryant. "That's what I like about him. He's not a punk. A lot of superstar players don't like to get touched. They're kind of finicky about how they go about things. Dirk's nasty and that's what I like about him. He'll take the gloves off and go at it. … If you look at some of the games that he's had against great players, it's amazing. I think his coming out party years ago was against Garnett. Garnett is a phenomenal player and Dirk was putting up 35 and 20 rebounds. That's ridiculous. I'm looking at that like, 'Whoa, Garnett's one of the best defensive players ever and he torched him.’’’
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,416

Post#93 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:28 pm

etopn23 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Dirk is a fantastic player, but it's not just about who has the best #2 player, it's the team and Dirk does have some good teammates.

Anyway, I don't see Dirk getting serious MVP consideration this season unless he can carry the Mavs to the 60-win level. Being 2nd in the West isn't good enough, the Mavs have to be up there with the top teams.

He's always going to be penalized by the fact that he's a 7ft PF who doesn't rebound better, defend better, and protect the paint better.

He's not having a career year stat-wise, and I don't believe he's even top-3 in any single category.

What?

It's league MVP, not conference MVP. As long as there's a viable candidate (and there are many) the MVP will come from one of the elite teams not one of the second tier teams.

So, unless Dallas steps up to the top tier, Dirk has basically no chance.
HouMac
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#94 » by HouMac » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Nobody's forgotten the '06 Finals and the '07 playoffs. That will forever haunt Dirk's standing in the league until he wins a championship, which let's face it, isn't happening. He's a Top 10 player in the league who has always lacked a certain 'IT' to be truly ELITE. That said, the guy probably isn't getting enough credit for leading his team to the 5th best record in the league so far. Dallas doesn't rank in the Top 10 on either end of the court.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,416

Post#95 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Yes, Dallas has the 5th best record, or you could say that they're tied for 7th best record. They've only won 5 out of their last 10 games, and if they keep it up, they could easily have the 11th best record in a week.

Fact is their winning margin is just +2.1, which just by coincidence happens to be 12th in the league.

Hollinger actually has them ranked 15th in the league.

So, stay tuned ...
BCT
Banned User

Post#96 » by BCT » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:55 pm

HouMac wrote:Nobody's forgotten the '06 Finals and the '07 playoffs. That will forever haunt Dirk's standing in the league until he wins a championship, which let's face it, isn't happening. He's a Top 10 player in the league who has always lacked a certain 'IT' to be truly ELITE. That said, the guy probably isn't getting enough credit for leading his team to the 5th best record in the league so far. Dallas doesn't rank in the Top 10 on either end of the court.

Dirk let Haslem treat him like a little girl in the 06 Finals and then turned around and got his heart taken away by the Warriors then next year.

From my point of view, Dirk has had more than enough credit thrown his way along with more chances at greatness than most most NBA players.

When the game gets grimy and serious 7ft elbow shooting players are not what is going to get the job done. POINT BLANK BOTTOM LINE END OF STORY
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#97 » by Mamba Venom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:42 pm

See 2-0 choke job... see #8 Warriors beating a 67 win team

Dirk gets a raw deal but he earned it in 2006 and 2007. He has to win to change the way people think of him just like everyone else does.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
BCT
Banned User

Post#98 » by BCT » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:17 am

Mamba Venom wrote:See 2-0 choke job... see #8 Warriors beating a 67 win team

Dirk gets a raw deal but he earned it in 2006 and 2007. He has to win to change the way people think of him just like everyone else does.

Bingo
mike_miller
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#99 » by mike_miller » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 pm

^ one player cant do it all..

dirks got an mvp right? hes not underrated..

but anyone with knowledge of basketball cant blame one player for loosing a series.

especially in 06.
TsunamiZC
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by TsunamiZC » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:17 pm

You are acting like a child. Dirk is not underated.

His help sucks this year, that is for sure.

What helped Dirk also hurt Dirk, and that was Don Nelson. He figured out how to use Dirk and his rare set of skills for a 7 footer, but he also hurt Dirk by putting together teams that were inept on defense, sure Dallas might go a full decade of 50+ win seasons but you can't really say some of those teams were really built to win the playoffs but they werent teams full of scrubs like you make it sound.

They didnt really have a chance untill Nelson stepped away and Avery started preaching defense. He is probably the best player has yet to win a ring that past 10 years but he is not underated. He gets his respect league wide, he also gets his critisism..but thats what happens when your the best player on a team that failed like it did, even if Avery set them up for it and then got outcoached. Winning changes everything and it will be this way untill he actually gets it done.

Return to The General Board