Source: Clippers will let LeBron James pick his coach and GM

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Re: Source: Clippers will let LeBron James pick his coach and GM 

Post#121 » by INKtastic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:47 am

Puertorique wrote:
A team is allowed to talk about upcoming free agents within the team itself, not to another team, player or rep or media. So the Clippers, Nets, Knicks,Lakers, Cavs, whoever else can have inside talks about a upcoming FA. If you don't think any team talks about upcoming players then I'm pretty sure you would be surprised about the truth.

Now of course none of these teams come out and say anything in public because they would get in trouble for tampering for that. That is why you always see sources, not names. Because a source can be a writer over hearing someone inside the organization or the person may just be making it up for a good story to get people talking.

Lastly a team can't offer anything as part of a package to any player however once the player is signed he can do business deals with lets say a brother or son or uncle or friend etc... of the owner who signed him. In other words if Dolan signs Bron the person who is in control of Cablevision (I think his son) can offer Bron a National TV network.

Now do I think any of this happens? Probably not, just saying that yes a team can talk inside of the organization about Free agents, they can't go public themselves, a player can still find a way to make more cash off of a owner, be it directly or indirectly and the owners can find ways for extra incentives to offer players.

I clearly said if the press report can be tracked back to the team. Teams can certainly talk about things internally, but when their internal talks end up in the press, that is tampering.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Puertorique
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#122 » by Puertorique » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:02 am

lj4mvp wrote:
Puertorique wrote:
A team is allowed to talk about upcoming free agents within the team itself, not to another team, player or rep or media. So the Clippers, Nets, Knicks,Lakers, Cavs, whoever else can have inside talks about a upcoming FA. If you don't think any team talks about upcoming players then I'm pretty sure you would be surprised about the truth.

Now of course none of these teams come out and say anything in public because they would get in trouble for tampering for that. That is why you always see sources, not names. Because a source can be a writer over hearing someone inside the organization or the person may just be making it up for a good story to get people talking.

Lastly a team can't offer anything as part of a package to any player however once the player is signed he can do business deals with lets say a brother or son or uncle or friend etc... of the owner who signed him. In other words if Dolan signs Bron the person who is in control of Cablevision (I think his son) can offer Bron a National TV network.

Now do I think any of this happens? Probably not, just saying that yes a team can talk inside of the organization about Free agents, they can't go public themselves, a player can still find a way to make more cash off of a owner, be it directly or indirectly and the owners can find ways for extra incentives to offer players.

I clearly said if the press report can be tracked back to the team. Teams can certainly talk about things internally, but when their internal talks end up in the press, that is tampering.

Ehh, a few years back Phil Jackson made some comments about Chris Bosh going to LA and the NBA just gave them a warning. I would guess the tampering has to be pretty blatant and obvious for a real severe punishment.
goddago
Junior
And1: 0

Post#123 » by goddago » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 am

theDEATH wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Edrees wrote:Lebron took the cavs to the finals in his like third year, and before he got there they were like a 17 win team. i've never seen one player transform a franchise that quickly. he beat that pistons team by himself

Tim Duncan says he can show Lebron James his NBA Finals ring that he won during his sophomore season.

The Spurs only did as bad as they did the season prior to getting Duncan out of pure luck. They got hit with the injury bug that season but without it, were one of the top teams in the league. All those injuries, which seemed devastating at the time, were actually just a blessing in disguise.

Kinda funny how a poster with 86 posts has to remind a poster with 23000 posts the rest of the story.
Day in the Life
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#124 » by Day in the Life » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:42 am

Lol, if LeBron went to LA. I'd be glad, finally all the faker fans would go side with clippers. It's disgusting to see many current "Laker fans" as Laker fans back when I saw them as Clipper fans when we were doing bad (04-07).
Waynelophoto
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#125 » by Waynelophoto » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:37 am

This will definitely benefit Lebron and the Clips financially.

The clips' owner is pretty stingy tho, not sure how much the owner is willing to spend this summer.

my fantasy LA Clippers team:

C - Kaman
PF - Amar'e or Boozer
SF - Lebron
SG - Manu
G - Iverson ?
Facebook page: The Mask Mamba aka Kobe Bryant:

http://www.facebook.com/BlackMambaKobe24
Brunson2Spencer
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#126 » by Brunson2Spencer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:09 am

Waynelophoto wrote:This will definitely benefit Lebron and the Clips financially.

The clips' owner is pretty stingy tho, not sure how much the owner is willing to spend this summer.

C - Kaman
PF - Amar'e or Boozer
SF - Lebron
SG - Manu
G - Iverson ?

You realize the Clippers have space for only one max guy, right?
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#127 » by doozyj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:10 am

Waynelophoto wrote:This will definitely benefit Lebron and the Clips financially.

C - Kaman
PF - Amar'e or Boozer
SF - Lebron
SG - Manu
G - Iverson ?

Sterling is no longer stingy and has been spending quite a bit the last couple years.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,051

Post#128 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:28 am

goddago wrote:
Kinda funny how a poster with 86 posts has to remind a poster with 23000 posts the rest of the story.

The poster I replied to did nothing but praise Lebron James (gets old), so I simply replied with a fact, and there was no need for theDEATH to educate me on the Spurs situation since I already knew (Old enough unlike most here). I do respect his comment and taking the time to educate others. :wink:
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#129 » by Joseph17 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 am

darth_federer wrote:The Clippers should hire a guy like Jerry Colangelo and let him do his thing. I dont know how much power Lebron wants. You cant go to players and say you get to pick the coach and gm. That gives them too much power. On the other hand, some players might be turned off by that situation.

I cant see Lebron leaving Cleveland. He ll re sign there I think. I dont think he would tease fans in Cleveland and New York so much if he was leaving.

I think the opposite. If Lebron really wanted to stay in Cleveland, he would have told everyone that he's not leaving. That's basically what Kobe did.
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,802

Post#130 » by cwas2882 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 pm

AIfan3 wrote:Wow.. Just wow.. Why not have LeBron ref his own games while they're at it?

He doesn't already?

Return to The General Board