Source: Clippers will let LeBron James pick his coach and GM

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,462

Re: Source: Clippers will let LeBron James pick his coach and GM 

Post#41 » by Slava » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:40 am

supaflash wrote:LeBron comes to the Clips, convinces Phil Jackson to become coach/GM, or maybe brings back Jerry West too... Clips end up with #1 Pick... instant dynasty

If you knew anything about their history you would know how stupid that sounds even on a message board.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#42 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:45 am

BullSoxChicago'sFinest wrote:
espnespn wrote:Source: Clippers will let LeBron James pick his coach and GM. about 11 hours ago via web
@benmaller

WOW the Clippers are desperate.

wicked_crossova wrote:Pretty pathetic on the Clippers part

Why is it pathetic or desperate?? It's exactly what Cleveland's been doing for years, and it's what a lot of teams would do if they knew they had a realistic chance next year.

I hate Lebron but he'd bring in wins and massive $$, what more would you want as a team?? Too many owners are happy with less than that. You guys act like we're talking about Gerald Wallace or something

Cleveland let LeBron pick Ferry and Mike Brown? Really? That's news to me...
JigenDaisuke
Starter
And1: 74

Post#43 » by JigenDaisuke » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:48 am

I would be completely shocked if Lebron went to the Clippers. If they didn't have such a terrible history I would say maybe. It is LA but I think he would take the Knicks first. Knicks or back to the Cavs I think thats it.
Puertorique
Banned User

Post#44 » by Puertorique » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 am

I think it was last year that one of the Dolan's mentioned that they would offer Lebron his own Channel after he was to sign in NY as a incentive. The network would be national also.

Neither that or what the Knicks did would be considered tampering because they are "rumors" and no one approached Lebron or his agent or went on national TV with the idea. When the talk is going on inside the organization it does not qualify as tampering.
rocketsballin
RealGM
And1: 354

Post#45 » by rocketsballin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 am

lakers vs clippers game's could get violent in the crowds
Clip34life
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#46 » by Clip34life » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:54 am

j-far wrote:
BullSoxChicago'sFinest wrote:
Free Rider wrote:They could give him ownership interest and let him rename the team and he still wouldn't play for the Clippers. It's pretty much the only city where he wouldn't be the alpha dog if he signed. Why compete for L.A.'s affections with Kobe when you can be master of your own domain everywhere else. If people rule out Chicago because of Jordan's legacy despite him not having played there for over a decade then how is L.A. even a consideration where Kobe is far more popular than LeBron?

Actually I can see it as something he could do. He's a huge attention whore, but he's also very driven in a cocky and arrogant way. He knows it's always him vs Kobe (just like when he was younger it was 'Detroit' as his roadblock and he would bring it up in commercials) and a guy like that just might attack it head-on

No he won't take it on. He's got his insecurities like confiscating the tapes of that dunk, withdrawing from dunk contest etc. and competing in Kobe/Lakers' shadow will be a risk even Lebron and Wade wouldn't attempt.

Yes I would be trembling to be in the same city as a declining Kobe Bryant.
I really like 1840s merchant vessels. Basketball on the other hand, I can take it or leave it...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,051

Post#47 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:59 am

Lebron James can just bring Maverick Carter to be the GM and the Coaching staff can consist of Romeo Travis, Dru Joyce III, Willie McGee and Sian Cotton. The Clippers would need to negotiate a new arena, but it's possible, and the clincher would be if David Stern moves the Clippers to the Eastern Conference.
Clip34life
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#48 » by Clip34life » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:59 am

roxfashoballin wrote:lakers vs clippers game's could get violent in the crowds

Nicholson vs. Crystal. Epic.
I really like 1840s merchant vessels. Basketball on the other hand, I can take it or leave it...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,462

Post#49 » by Slava » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:12 am

Clip34life wrote:
Yes I would be trembling to be in the same city as a declining Kobe Bryant.

Yeah that and the fear of a season ending injury for signing there. Who hasn't seen that coming? :lol:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ripthecord
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#50 » by ripthecord » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:13 am

Why would LBJ goto the clippers thats worse than being in ohio
Jeezo1
Freshman

Post#51 » by Jeezo1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:17 am

ripthecord wrote:Why would LBJ goto the clippers thats worse than being in ohio

Hmm. Having a chance to play in one of the biggest markets in the U.S. in L.A., the beaches, the weather, the nightlife, Hollywood, or living in Cleveland which was voted one of the worst cities in a recent article?

Even if it is the Clippers. I'd rather be in L.A.
HootieRules
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#52 » by HootieRules » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:21 am

Shocked by some of the responses in this thread. The Clippers are getting desperate? Well duh. It's the freaking Clippers. What do they have to lose? I think this is brilliant.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#53 » by longfellow44 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:34 am

I'm going to have to agree this is a brilliant move by the clippers. That team would be dirty. I'm all for doing something like this. I see no problem with giving you superstar this kind of control, he want's to win and you want to win If this kind of thing get's him to sign with your team then I say do it. And I would think that team would quickly become better than the lakers, there's just too much talent if Lebron signs with them. All they would need is to find a coach that likes to play a little bit uptempo and it would simply be amazing.

Draft Greg Monroe with the 10th pick
resing outlaw
sign sergio

Davis/Sergio
Gordon/Outlaw
Lebron/Outlaw
Griffin/Monroe
Kaman/Jordan

Pretty amazing team
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,390

Post#54 » by Dr Aki » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 am

this is a brilliant move if this is true... his own coach? his own GM?? i could imagine the clippers luring coach K out to call the shots on the clipper bench. we already know lebron looks great in red, white and blue, why not do it for the clippers as well? changing his number to #6 anyone??

lebron in the pacific division?? espn would go bonkers 4 times a season + playoffs if lakers and clips meet in a hallway series... can you imagine the headlines?? BATTLE FOR L.A.! LEBRON VS KOBE!

not to mention the night-life! kobe is quite the reclusive superstar, is lebron the outgoing, partying type? due to sheer accessibility, lebron would be a giant media darling.

LA might be a laker town, but lebron could very easily split tinsel town in half
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,051

Post#55 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:52 am

It is Donald Sterling, but the Clippers are set at four of the five starting positions, and the one position they have available for a star or superstar is the 3. Lebron James has everything to gain if he stays with Cleveland or signs with an Eastern Conference team, so I doubt he has any intentions on coming out West.

This is a wise move by the Clippers and if they fail at signing Lebron, they can just turn their attention to another top free agent. Desperate is the New York Knicks who traded another future first round pick, giving Houston the option to swap future first round pick, and trading last years lottery pick. So, the Knicks are the one team that are invested invested the most, but Cleveland should also be looked at as a desperate team now that they have a payroll that exceeds $80 million.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,709

Post#56 » by dockingsched » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:08 am

any team not doing everything possible to get lebron isn't doing enough.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
babythug23
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#57 » by babythug23 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:17 am

He can do that anywhere he goes. EVEN in cleveland
LBJ
Pro Prospect
And1: 11

Post#58 » by LBJ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:26 am

If LeBron's smart he stays in the East because it's still a much easier conference with Orlando being their only serious threat (hope the trade made them weaker). You have the Celtics aging and looking really bad during the regular season. No matter how good a team is, you never want to turn it on and off cause it's not that easy in the playoffs. But a healthy Boston on high gear would still be a great challenge for the Cavs.

Plus, I agree with whoever said he would not be the darling in LA competing with Kobe so he wouldn't go. Plus Clippers have had a really bad history doubt LeBron would want to be a part of that. You see their jersey and you just think SUCK in your mind. For me, every time I see the Clippers jersey I'm just reminded of a really **** franchise.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#59 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:27 am

its a saavy play by the Clippers, and I never thought I would hear myself saying that. They had absolutely NO chance before this, none, 0%. But now they have figured out a way to put a carrot out there. And its not as if they have ever been any good at picking their own coaches and GMs anyway. Might as well let LeBron do it.

Kobe is getting old. His era in L.A. will be over in a few years. This could be the only way the Clippers could ever have of stepping up and stealing the Lakers' thunder when they go into decline. Los Angelites are used to winning. Put a soon to be 2x MVP in the city as the Lakers start to sink, some of them will start wearing Clippers jerseys.
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#60 » by Canomad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:35 am

It_Was_Typed wrote:We all know they're going to overpay for Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay this summer.

Return to The General Board