Source: Clippers will let LeBron James pick his coach and GM

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager
And1: 0

Re: Source: Clippers will let LeBron James pick his coach and GM 

Post#81 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:23 pm

SuigintouEV wrote:Scenario 1

Clippers: You can have whoever you like
Lebron: I pick Mike Brown and Danny Ferry
CLippers: BUt they're under contract with the cavs
Lebron: I know *****, i picked the cavs.

+1
Clip34life
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#82 » by Clip34life » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:24 pm

LApwnd wrote:man and I thougth Clev are desperate to keep Lebron, Clipps are just plain out pathetic :lol:

If LeBron does sign with the Clippers, it will set a precedent for what teams will be expected to do to get a superstar, shifting the power to superstars and further diminishing the power of GMs and coaches.
I really like 1840s merchant vessels. Basketball on the other hand, I can take it or leave it...
Clip34life
Analyst

Post#83 » by Clip34life » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:24 pm

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:
SuigintouEV wrote:Scenario 1

Clippers: You can have whoever you like
Lebron: I pick Mike Brown and Danny Ferry
CLippers: BUt they're under contract with the cavs
Lebron: I know *****, i picked the cavs.

+1

Wow this hating on the Clippers is hilarious. I'm getting the feeling that some people are actually feeling threatened...
I really like 1840s merchant vessels. Basketball on the other hand, I can take it or leave it...
Clip34life
Analyst

Post#84 » by Clip34life » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:26 pm

jman23 wrote:
@ndrew wrote:Clippers ARE desparate. Some coaches are under contract and will not be willing to go just because they were "picked". Will you like to hear: Shut up, coach. I chose you that's why we are going to run this play." That's just too much pressure. You are not building organizations like that. Lebron is not instant championship. Ask Cavaliers and they will tell. You do not let players dictate the way you move THAT much. Primadonnas...
:lol: I busted out laughing when i saw this......so true.

Yeah that's so true. That's why Kobe wants Mike K, so he can tell him to shut up and do what he wants. So true you guys, so true.
Clip34life
Analyst

Post#85 » by Clip34life » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Mofoo wrote:I would like to see that happen. Would be really interesting to see Clippers being the primary team of LA at least for a while. This being said, if Lebron is to leave Cleveland I think it will take more than a mediocre team letting him pick his coach.

Somehow Wade&Lebron@NY sounds more of a story.

You can make the curse argument, the owner argument, or the injury argument, but at least in regards to the starting 5, you would not be able to call the Clippers mediocre with LeBron.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#86 » by LApwnd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Clip34life wrote:
jman23 wrote:
@ndrew wrote:Clippers ARE desparate. Some coaches are under contract and will not be willing to go just because they were "picked". Will you like to hear: Shut up, coach. I chose you that's why we are going to run this play." That's just too much pressure. You are not building organizations like that. Lebron is not instant championship. Ask Cavaliers and they will tell. You do not let players dictate the way you move THAT much. Primadonnas...
:lol: I busted out laughing when i saw this......so true.

Yeah that's so true. That's why Kobe wants Mike K, so he can tell him to shut up and do what he wants. So true you guys, so true.

forget picking a gm/coach, Lebron should be the 1st to do all 3 at once...He'll surely be the GOAT of everything :D
oikosnomos
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#87 » by oikosnomos » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:43 pm

I think everyone can agree that having a player choose his gm and coach is bad idea for an innumerable number of reasons. I would be surprised if even the most arrogant of players would think they are the right people to be making such decisions.
DrunkOnMystery
Starter

Post#88 » by DrunkOnMystery » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:46 pm

lj4mvp wrote:
Puertorique wrote:I think it was last year that one of the Dolan's mentioned that they would offer Lebron his own Channel after he was to sign in NY as a incentive. The network would be national also.

Neither that or what the Knicks did would be considered tampering because they are "rumors" and no one approached Lebron or his agent or went on national TV with the idea. When the talk is going on inside the organization it does not qualify as tampering.

when the talk is leaked outside the organization it's tampering. LeBron isn't a free agent now, is eligible for an extension, and isn't even a free agent this summer unless he opts out of his current contract. Anything a team other than Cleveland does that can be perceived as influencing either of those decisions (opting out, signing an extension) is tampering.

And an owner providing LeBron a second revenue stream outside of his NBA contract (i.e. his own tv channel) violates the CBA

By that logic, a team saying "We're clearing cap space to make a run at Lebron when he's a free agent" is tampering. And it isn't.

And as for the leaking, that falls under the same statute as trading Z and knowing he was coming back: as long as there's no hard evidence that it was intentional and prearranged, neither the league or Cavs could say anything about it.

And even if the league did decide that it was a violation, nothing really meaningful would come of it. They aren't going to void the contract of a superstar going from a small market to LA. Believe me, I'm a Magic fan. WE already had that happen to us, and the league did pretty much nothing.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#89 » by supaflash » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Tirion wrote:
supaflash wrote:They should let him change the name and the logo and jerseys too

Hmm... power struggle going on between the Buss fam and Phil Jackson... Jackson praising Bron... Bron retiring MJ's jersey, taking over Kobe's best player status...

LeBron comes to the Clips, convinces Phil Jackson to become coach/GM, or maybe brings back Jerry West too... Clips end up with #1 Pick... instant dynasty

Phil Jackson is a very outspoken left-wing liberal. Donald Sterling is a closest thing to a rich, radical right-wing republican you can get. Basically he represents everything that Jackson despises. Also Sterling fired and humiliated Jerry West's close friend and former teammate Elgin Baylor, who in turn filed a lawsuit against Clippers for racial discrimination. So there.

I was so serious.... Donald hasn't done enough Mitzvahs to get Phil or Jerry back on board :lol:

Just like Kobe a few years ago this is just a cruel tease to Clips fans. Its like playing a joke on your slow fat friend where you leave the car door open and right as he's about to get in you drive forward a bit... 'oh I won't do it again' (screeching tires) 'haha I promise not again...'

Seriously, just move that team to San Diego or Seattle already.
DrunkOnMystery
Starter

Post#90 » by DrunkOnMystery » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:52 pm

LApwnd wrote:forget picking a gm/coach, Lebron should be the 1st to do all 3 at once...He'll surely be the GOAT of everything :D

That's actually against league rules. You can't be a player/coach anymore.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#91 » by supaflash » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:53 pm

And yes, I just compared the Clips to a slow fat friend...

appropriate? I think so...

If this was a picture of the western playoffs, the hot chicks would be the Lakers, Nuggs, Spurs, Suns, Jazz etc.

The Fat girl is and will always be the Clips, on the outside lurking, looking in...

The King doesn't date fat chicks mmm kay....
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#92 » by LApwnd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm

DrunkOnMystery wrote:
LApwnd wrote:forget picking a gm/coach, Lebron should be the 1st to do all 3 at once...He'll surely be the GOAT of everything :D

Its the King we talking bout here, I'm sure Sterling will make this one exception
LA Titletown
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#93 » by LA Titletown » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm

pro2020 wrote:Lebron gets what he want's in Cleveland, why would he go anywhere else?

Why? Because he can get whatever he wants regardless of where he goes, and he is'nt stuck in Ohio. :lol:
LA Titletown
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#94 » by LA Titletown » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 pm

[quote="supaflash"]They should let him change the name and the logo and jerseys too

[quote]

They should. That would be a step in the right direction.

I personally dont want Lebron in LA. I would puke if the Clippers had a banner in Staples.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#95 » by INKtastic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:00 pm

DrunkOnMystery wrote:
lj4mvp wrote:
Puertorique wrote:I think it was last year that one of the Dolan's mentioned that they would offer Lebron his own Channel after he was to sign in NY as a incentive. The network would be national also.

Neither that or what the Knicks did would be considered tampering because they are "rumors" and no one approached Lebron or his agent or went on national TV with the idea. When the talk is going on inside the organization it does not qualify as tampering.

when the talk is leaked outside the organization it's tampering. LeBron isn't a free agent now, is eligible for an extension, and isn't even a free agent this summer unless he opts out of his current contract. Anything a team other than Cleveland does that can be perceived as influencing either of those decisions (opting out, signing an extension) is tampering.

And an owner providing LeBron a second revenue stream outside of his NBA contract (i.e. his own tv channel) violates the CBA

By that logic, a team saying "We're clearing cap space to make a run at Lebron when he's a free agent" is tampering. And it isn't.

That absolutely is tampering too - which is why teams don't say that. And teams have been warned by the league for that very thing.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
DrunkOnMystery
Starter

Post#96 » by DrunkOnMystery » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:03 pm

LApwnd wrote:
DrunkOnMystery wrote:

Its the King we talking bout here, I'm sure Sterling will make this one exception

I'm assuming you meant Stern, not Sterling, and no, he wouldn't.

That rule exists to keep teams from offering players additional salary outside the CAP, by offering them money for a second job. It's the only thing keeping the teams with the wealthiest owners from going to every bigtime free agent and saying: "Well, we can only offer you the MLE as a player, but we'll also hire you as an assistant coach, director of inner city relations, and about 8 other jobs we'll make up next week, and we'll pay you $Texas a year for each of them."
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#97 » by LApwnd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:20 pm

^^^I was joking man but honestly if it was allowed, I bet Clipp would be that desperate and let James do that.
Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,567

Post#98 » by Free Rider » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

lj4mvp wrote:[quote="DrunkOnMystery]

[/quote]

That absolutely is tampering too - which is why teams don't say that. And teams have been warned by the league for that very thing.[/quote]

Yeah but its also the reason why the tampering rules are an absolute joke. It's so easy to circumvent the tampering rules without officially breaking them that even an incompetent organization like the Clippers can get away with it without fear of any repercussions.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#99 » by INKtastic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Free Rider wrote:
lj4mvp wrote:
DrunkOnMystery wrote:

That absolutely is tampering too - which is why teams don't say that. And teams have been warned by the league for that very thing.

Yeah but its also the reason why the tampering rules are an absolute joke. It's so easy to circumvent the tampering rules without officially breaking them that even an incompetent organization like the Clippers can get away with it without fear of any repercussions.

The league has already warned the teams

From the memo:

“If a member of your organization is asked by the media about a potential free agent prior to the July 1 following the last season covered by the player’s contract, or about any other person under contract with another NBA team, the only proper response is to decline comment.”

“Penalties for tampering include suspension of the offending person, prohibition of the offending team from hiring the person being tampered with, forfeiture of draft picks, and individual and/or team fines of up to $5 million.”

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/cavs-ne ... 6a8cb588e0

If the topic of this thread can be tracked back to the clippers and the cavs file a complaint, the clippers can be blocked by the league from signing LeBron.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#100 » by USA » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:38 pm

This is the Clippers we are talking about. As good as Lebron is, he is not god.

Return to The General Board