Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,531

Re: Where would Peak Wade rank today? 

Post#101 » by Pelly24 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:40 am

Peregrine01 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
I think it's problematic to use Lillard in this comparison.

#1, he isn't "significantly slower" than Wade. If anything Lillard has one of the quickest first steps of any guard in this era. His main issue when getting into the paint is his size.

#2, Lillard is probably the second greatest pull-up 3 shooter in NBA history. And probably the second most dangerous high pick and roll player in NBA history. His shooting threat forces defenses to stretch out which gives him driving lanes that Wade wouldn't get.

Wade’s 3/4th quarter sprint time was 3.08 seconds, 5th in his class.
Lame agility was 2nd in his class, 10.56 seconds, half the test is lateral though

lillards 3/4th quarter sprint time was 3.34 seconds, 25th in his class.
lillards agility was 23rd in his class, 11.15 seconds

Agree it’s not a one to one comparison but it’s almost as if ur trying to argue lillard is a better slasher lol

First step as in burst. Lillard was never great end to end or laterally (one reason why his defense was always suspect). But he's one of the best guards I've seen in this era getting a first step on guys.

Yeah bro, Wade is way faster and more explosive than Dame in every respect when it comes to on the ground stuff. Wade is arguably the fastest guard of all time, and he arguably has the best combo of speed and power of all time for any guard. My only point in mentioning Dame was that his finishing numbers were incredible last year.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,531

Post#102 » by Pelly24 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:56 am

OhayoKD wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
If it didn't matter why did you bring it up?

Yes, Wade was a great finisher, but you're talking like he would shoot 60% from the field or something.

What matters is that Damian Lillard, who is significantly slower than Wade and smaller than Wade with a standing reach about 7 inches lower than Wade (7'11" versus 8'6") shot 67% at the rim last year.

If Wade shot at a similar rate and volume as Damian Lillard he would be dramatically less valuable at basketball.

Your problem is you keep using "raw" production when impact which is dictated by "relative" production. I don't understand why you're struggling with this so much. Wade has to exceed the pace everyone has improved, not simply increase his counting numbers or percentages.

If you are not willing to argue that, then you don't have a serious argument for Wade improving.

I think the thing is that maybe you're assuming that everyone has improved, and I don't know if that's true, I just think the rules and points of emphasis have changed. Even aside from numbers, my question and point kind of just becomes this: In an NBA playoffs run, how many players are going to be more effective than Wade if put in a moderately good to perfect situation. And, having watched Wade dominate in his prime, and just considering his skills and GOAT-level athleticism and very good IQ and excellent defensive ability, I don't think I would put more than 2 or 3 players above him. It's not even really a matter of him improving. Teams couldn't stop Wade between 2005 and 2010, and I don't see why they would be able to do so now. I don't see how that's hard for people to accept. He was the most athletic guard in the league, he was one of the best cutters in the league, he was a great playmaker and he would be on the ball even more today, probably spamming tf out of P&R and getting a bunch of kick-out three assists. Regardless of actual numbers, everyone else scoring well too, a lot of these guys are pretenders in comparison to wade, who we've seen eviscerate defenses in the playoffs, too. The point is, there's no real reason why what he did then wouldn't work now, and now, as then, it would also work in the playoffs.

So yeah thats my real, truest point. There's no struggling for me to understand anything. Unlike most of these players, Wade has a championship and a legendary, MJ-esque run to a finals MVP. He has three chips. He's the GOAT guard shot-blocker. Idk. Simply put, we're talking about prime Wade lol who was seen as somewhat close to LeBron, or as close as it got, and 2009 LeBron would obviously be the first or second best player in the league, with only Jokic having an argument over him.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#103 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:06 am

Peregrine01 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
I think it's problematic to use Lillard in this comparison.

#1, he isn't "significantly slower" than Wade. If anything Lillard has one of the quickest first steps of any guard in this era. His main issue when getting into the paint is his size.

#2, Lillard is probably the second greatest pull-up 3 shooter in NBA history. And probably the second most dangerous high pick and roll player in NBA history. His shooting threat forces defenses to stretch out which gives him driving lanes that Wade wouldn't get.

Wade’s 3/4th quarter sprint time was 3.08 seconds, 5th in his class.
Lame agility was 2nd in his class, 10.56 seconds, half the test is lateral though

lillards 3/4th quarter sprint time was 3.34 seconds, 25th in his class.
lillards agility was 23rd in his class, 11.15 seconds

Agree it’s not a one to one comparison but it’s almost as if ur trying to argue lillard is a better slasher lol

First step as in burst. Lillard was never great end to end or laterally (one reason why his defense was always suspect). But he's one of the best guards I've seen in this era getting a first step on guys.

I really hope ur not trying to say 30-33 year old lillard will be a better slasher in this current era than peak Wade lol
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,961

Post#104 » by Oscar9992 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:30 am

It's just a my eye test, but Wade in 2006-2009 was just as good as Kobe of that same period. Kobe just much longer prime than D. Wade. Wade's prime was short. But at their best they very close.
Superjohnstarks
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#105 » by Superjohnstarks » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:44 pm

McBubbles wrote:
Rishkar wrote:
The Main Event wrote:
You might, but no GM in the league worth his salt would.

Why? Wade's defense makes him a better player than either, but on offense, he isn't providing the same combination of scoring and passing needed to elevate an offense. He's a fantastic finisher, but give me someone who can create open looks for their teammates while stretching a defense.

Wot?

I'm not asking rhetorically, but what do you think Wade did as a playmaker if not this?

Also Wade shot 45.2% from mid-range on 8.6 attempts per game in the 2006 post season run. For reference, that's about as efficient as Kobe's mid-range game in his most efficient mid-range shooting season.

Streaky or not Wade was doing more than keeping them honest, he was dominating from that part of the floor. He also shot a respectful 38.0% from 3, though on pretty low volume.

One fluke run doesn't make him a great midrange shooter his numbers are putrid from outside 3ft which is a stable throughout his career,he faded away pretty quickly once the modern era began
capfan33
Senior
And1: 579

Post#106 » by capfan33 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:05 pm

Superjohnstarks wrote:
McBubbles wrote:
Rishkar wrote:Why? Wade's defense makes him a better player than either, but on offense, he isn't providing the same combination of scoring and passing needed to elevate an offense. He's a fantastic finisher, but give me someone who can create open looks for their teammates while stretching a defense.

Wot?

I'm not asking rhetorically, but what do you think Wade did as a playmaker if not this?

Also Wade shot 45.2% from mid-range on 8.6 attempts per game in the 2006 post season run. For reference, that's about as efficient as Kobe's mid-range game in his most efficient mid-range shooting season.

Streaky or not Wade was doing more than keeping them honest, he was dominating from that part of the floor. He also shot a respectful 38.0% from 3, though on pretty low volume.

One fluke run doesn't make him a great midrange shooter his numbers are putrid from outside 3ft which is a stable throughout his career,he faded away pretty quickly once the modern era began

While I'm as leery of postseason sample-sizes as anyone, from 05 to 12, Wade shot 41.4% from 10-16 and 40% from 10-23 in the playoffs. He did elevate his game in that regard in his prime, even if it is probably a fluke to an extent.
Superjohnstarks
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#107 » by Superjohnstarks » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:18 pm

^^This is why NBA4lyfe think there are magnetic rims lol which may be true 06 nba commercials
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#108 » by OriAr » Sat Apr 6, 2024 10:06 am

I take Jokic, healthy Embiid, Luka and Giannis over him no questions asked.
So I guess top 5-10? I don't think he'd be much different than Tatum and SGA as far as level of play is concerned.
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,248

Post#109 » by rate_ » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:47 pm

If Wade didn’t have meniscectomy at Marquette he’s probably a TOP 15 player of all time at worst
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#110 » by ardee » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:36 am

OhayoKD wrote:The disparity in responses between this and the kobe thread are pretty wild. Kobe's case for "not optimized in era" is much stronger.

After 12.5 years on this board, I will just say though that it is not at all surprising given the visceral hatred of Kobe on here that for whatever reason refuses to go away.

As for the thread, peak Wade would be competing for no. 2 behind Jokic with Luka (same as Kobe).
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#111 » by ardee » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:40 am

OriAr wrote:I take Jokic, healthy Embiid, Luka and Giannis over him no questions asked.
So I guess top 5-10? I don't think he'd be much different than Tatum and SGA as far as level of play is concerned.

Wade was a historically great Playoff performer in an era where it was much harder to score on top of being an elite defender (best shotblocking guard of all time). His raw numbers in 2009 were comparable to SGA's today with better impact stats, and we have yet to see how SGA will hold up in the Playoffs.

If Wade played today his numbers would be similar to Luka's easily.

Man, these kinds of threads really make me feel old.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#112 » by DCasey91 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:04 am

;pp=ygUVMjAwOCBXYWRlIG1heGFtaWxsaW9u

Favourite player in High school. 0:30 lmao dude would manhandle every guard right now except for Luke but Wade is way too quick. Look at how many guys just end up on the floor

I do think he’s the closest stylistically to Lebron at his best.

“He ain’t 220” Gilbert Arenas. Wouldn’t surprise at all if Wade was up to 235/+ in the early 10’s.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,270

Post#113 » by McBubbles » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:34 pm

Superjohnstarks wrote:
McBubbles wrote:
Rishkar wrote:Why? Wade's defense makes him a better player than either, but on offense, he isn't providing the same combination of scoring and passing needed to elevate an offense. He's a fantastic finisher, but give me someone who can create open looks for their teammates while stretching a defense.

Wot?

Wot?

I didn't say he was a great midrange shooter. This is a discussion about his PEAK, not his career average, and his PEAK post season performance saw him stretch defences.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?

Return to Player Comparisons