How big is this Wolves-Nugget series?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,419

How big is this Wolves-Nugget series? 

Post#1 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:16 pm

I'm thinking its pretty damn big in determining or at least shaping the legacies of quite a few players. If the Nuggets win I think its very likely that they repeat and Jokic pretty much cements himself as the player of the 20's with 3 mvps and 2 fmvps(while still only 29). If the Wolves win it suddenly opens the door for one of SGA-Ant-Luka or Tatum to take a huge step forward by getting a fmvp and whether one of those first 3 is now the best player in the current narrative and can follow it up with an mvp. I think its too late for Tatum to get that kind of push but even for him its a big deal.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,160

Re: How big is this Wolves-Nugget series? 

Post#2 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 14, 2024 10:30 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:I'm thinking its pretty damn big in determining or at least shaping the legacies of quite a few players. If the Nuggets win I think its very likely that they repeat and Jokic pretty much cements himself as the player of the 20's with 3 mvps and 2 fmvps(while still only 29). If the Wolves win it suddenly opens the door for one of SGA-Ant-Luka or Tatum to take a huge step forward by getting a fmvp and whether one of those first 3 is now the best player in the current narrative and can follow it up with an mvp. I think its too late for Tatum to get that kind of push but even for him its a big deal.

Candidly, I don't see this as a big legacy series for either team. I'm fairly confident OKC is going to win their series and that Boston will represent the West. I don't think either of these club as capable of beating Denver/Min, OKC and Boston 3 series in a row. I'd considering getting to the finals a big success for either club.

It probably matter more for Jokic. Given how insane his RS stats are and all the MVPs he needs to start racking up Final appearances.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,972

Post#3 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 10:38 pm

Eh. If the Nuggets win and lose next round it'll be no different for Jokic.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#4 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:42 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Candidly, I don't see this as a big legacy series for either team. I'm fairly confident OKC is going to win their series and that Boston will represent the West. I don't think either of these club as capable of beating Denver/Min, OKC and Boston 3 series in a row. I'd considering getting to the finals a big success for either club.

It probably matter more for Jokic. Given how insane his RS stats are and all the MVPs he needs to start racking up Final appearances.

Ok but this isn't really about the teams. This thread is more about the 4 players I mentioned and how big of a door will open up if the Wolves knock off the Nuggets. Personally I think if the Nuggets win there's around a 90% chance of them repeating(Jokic hasn't even found his usual playoff gear yet). If they lose its really pretty much up for grabs and Jokic goes from being a potential b2b champ to a 2nd rd loss on his resume.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#5 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:42 pm

One_and_Done wrote:Eh. If the Nuggets win and lose next round it'll be no different for Jokic.

I'd agree with that but imo if they win this series they're going to repeat(short of injuries being a factor).
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,160

Post#6 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 14, 2024 10:47 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

Ok but this isn't really about the teams. This thread is more about the 4 players I mentioned and how big of a door will open up if the Wolves knock off the Nuggets. Personally I think if the Nuggets win there's around a 90% chance of them repeating(Jokic hasn't even found his usual playoff gear yet). If they lose its really pretty much up for grabs and Jokic goes from being a potential b2b champ to a 2nd rd loss on his resume.

If your point is winning a title will help a player's legacy, I agree, but there isn't anything important about this series relative to OKC/DAL, CLE/BOS, NYK/IND. All this series gets you is closer to the finals. Nothing uniquely special about it.

As an aside, I think you're drastically under-selling Boston. They have basically steam-rolled through the first 2 rounds.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#7 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:53 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
If your point is winning a title will help a player's legacy, I agree, but there isn't anything important about this series relative to OKC/DAL, CLE/BOS, NYK/IND. All this series gets you is closer to the finals. Nothing uniquely special about it.

As an aside, I think you're drastically under-selling Boston. They have basically steam-rolled through the first 2 rounds.

Ok well in that case we can just agree to disagree about its relevance/importance which is fine. Boston to me is a good team but I'm not expecting White or KP to play like all stars in the finals which is what I think it would take.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,594

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 14, 2024 11:39 pm

I think the winner probably makes the finals. I don't like how OKC's size matches up and Doncic just seems too banged up. I'm not a huge Boston guy so I would probably pick Den/Min to beat them too.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,072

Post#9 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 15, 2024 12:01 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

90% is kinda insane. I'd give Denver a ~15% chance of winning the finals if they win this series. I think their chances of winning the WCFs are a little over a tossup if they win the Wolves series and I'd think they'd be moderate underdogs against the eastern conference rep
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,671

Post#10 » by Statlanta » Wed May 15, 2024 12:07 am

If Minnesota wins
Rudy Gobert gets legitimacy as a multiple time DPOY candidate eliminating an MVP
Karl Anthony Towns gets legitimacy as a second option type player and winning player
the greatest team in Minnesota franchise history and a chance of a championship
Face of the league status is up for grabs for Anthony Edwards

If Denver wins
Biggest hurdle out of the way in championship run
A chance to go back to back and the first team to do so since the overpowered Kevin Durant Warriors.
Legitimacy to Nikola Jokic's 4 year run of statistical dominance
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#11 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:11 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
90% is kinda insane. I'd give Denver a ~15% chance of winning the finals if they win this series. I think their chances of winning the WCFs are a little over a tossup if they win the Wolves series and I'd think they'd be moderate underdogs against the eastern conference rep

I would have said more like 70-90% but I just put 90. Regardless, 15% is way more insane to me. I mean this to me is sort of like going against LeBron in those 12-18 years unless you are the Warriors. I also think Jokic is probably going to elevate his game if they get by the Wolves and start putting out those 35/15/12 games he's known for while setting up his teammates for easy shots.
B_Creamy
Pro Prospect
And1: 850

Post#12 » by B_Creamy » Wed May 15, 2024 2:21 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

That sounds crazy. They have atleast a ~15% of winning the Finals right now before even winning the series. Your number assumed they do beat the Wolves which makes it sound even crazier.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,804

Post#13 » by LukaTheGOAT » Wed May 15, 2024 4:56 am

-Jokic further adds to his case for being a top 3 peak ever.

-Jamal Murray further adds to his case for being the best player to never make an all-star game.

-Denver further adds to their case for being one of the 3 greatest dynasties ever.
Read on Twitter
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,567

Post#14 » by GSP » Wed May 15, 2024 5:32 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:-Jokic further adds to his case for being a top 3 peak ever.

-Jamal Murray further adds to his case for being the best player to never make an all-star game.

-Denver further adds to their case for being one of the 3 greatest dynasties ever.

Murray has been mid all playoffs Tbh. I mean he is the best player to not make Asg but he hasnt even been a top 3 Nugget these playoffs.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#15 » by LukaTheGOAT » Wed May 15, 2024 5:51 am

GSP wrote:

Murray has been mid all playoffs Tbh. I mean he is the best player to not make Asg but he hasnt even been a top 3 Nugget these playoffs.

Agreed, but a lot of legacy is narrative driven, etc. To be honest, Victor Wembanyama is probably the true best player to never make an ASG, but I expect that won't be for too much longer.

Read on Twitter
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,330

Post#16 » by Colbinii » Wed May 15, 2024 1:00 pm

I think Jokic is on the way to cementing his 2-year run as equal or better than Hakeem's 1994/1995 2-year run.

It's really impressive stuff for Jokic and keeps the door open for him to finish really anywhere when it's all said and done.

As for Edwards/Gobert, it's incredible stuff. The Wolves have outscored the Nuggets with Gobert on the court, and this includes him missing all of Game 2 where Minnesota blew the socks off of Denver. It's pretty clear that he is one of the best defensive pieces in NBA history and is a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Edwards, still just 22, is putting together a GOAT level pre-23 career with an offensive game which is seemingly only stopped by himself in the post-season.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,436

Post#17 » by Outside » Wed May 15, 2024 1:13 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:-Denver further adds to their case for being one of the 3 greatest dynasties ever.

C'mon, that's just absurd. There's no need to jump on the hyperbole express just because Denver has turned it around in a second round series against an opponent that is apparently unable to respond to Denver's counters after game 2.

They don't even have a case to be considered a dynasty at this point, let alone one of the greatest. That is disrespectful to league history.

We should be able to enjoy the turnaround by Denver as a team and Jokic in particular without trying to make it into something it's not.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,911

Post#18 » by SK21209 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:45 pm

What possible argument is there for this last one
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#19 » by LukaTheGOAT » Wed May 15, 2024 5:57 pm

SK21209 wrote:

What possible argument is there for this last one

If things go as planned, you should see in a few years. Beautifully set up team.

Read on Twitter
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#20 » by LukaTheGOAT » Wed May 15, 2024 6:03 pm

Outside wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:-Denver further adds to their case for being one of the 3 greatest dynasties ever.

Stay tuned.

Read on Twitter

Return to Player Comparisons