The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,419

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING) 

Post#961 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 pm

I'll say this: I have basically zero confidence in him contending for another ring in LA. I think if he's 90-95% of the player he was last season the Cavs would be real contenders with him and probably a couple other teams but chances are his list for leaving LA is pretty small. Probably Cavs or Knicks.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,777

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING) 

Post#962 » by nzahir » Wed May 15, 2024 2:07 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
nzahir wrote:Say Bron does go back to Cle (would need a guarantee from Mitchell ofc), how else would/could they improve?

Who are some top tier trade targets with Mobley, Garland, and their picks?

Garland seems like a perfect fit with LeBron.

As does Mobley. They need his defense. Problem with Garland is he’s injury prone. I trade Allen for wing help and a half decent backup big.

The issue with Garland in this hypothetical is that Mitchell and Garland backcourt is too small

And maybe they could convince Cp3 to come join for the mle?

Mobley and Allen don't stretch the floor enough

Maybe you can move Mobley and some picks into someone like JJR?

Or move Allen for a stretch 5 like Turner and then keep Mobley? Move Garland for Bridges and salary? Sign cp3

But now that I think about it, need to move guys for Lebron in a S&T.

Allen (to a team like OKC that sends LA back a 1st and something else), Levert, and a Cavs 1st to LA?

The question is, is Lebron better off winning in LA with AD (who is still better than Mitchell I think) and getting a 3rd guy and some hopefulyl decent role guys or going to Cle and having Mitchell as his #2 and having some other solid pieces around them (would be more well rounded than LA)
nzahir
RealGM

Post#963 » by nzahir » Wed May 15, 2024 2:08 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:I'll say this: I have basically zero confidence in him contending for another ring in LA. I think if he's 90-95% of the player he was last season the Cavs would be real contenders with him and probably a couple other teams but chances are his list for leaving LA is pretty small. Probably Cavs or Knicks.

Do you think we contend if we can get Mitchell or Young?

Or what other options can LA get that may help more?
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#964 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:39 am

nzahir wrote:Do you think we contend if we can get Mitchell or Young?

I think the problem right now is its LeBron's team on top of the inept f/o there. If he goes back to Cleveland I think it'd be easier for him to accept a clear #2/3 role than if he stays in LA.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#965 » by nzahir » Wed May 15, 2024 3:31 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
nzahir wrote:Do you think we contend if we can get Mitchell or Young?

I think the problem right now is its LeBron's team on top of the inept f/o there. If he goes back to Cleveland I think it'd be easier for him to accept a clear #2/3 role than if he stays in LA.

Who is the 1a/1b? Mitchell? Is that better than AD (and maybe a guye like Mitchell, Trae, Lavine?)
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#966 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:37 am

nzahir wrote:Who is the 1a/1b? Mitchell? Is that better than AD (and maybe a guye like Mitchell, Trae, Lavine?)

It's the depth in Clev that matters. Mobley and a bunch of 3 pt shooters that LA doesn't have on top of Mitchell/Garland(whichever stay if not both) and still being able to trade Allen for something. LeBron would actually be able to take it easy in the rs for once.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#967 » by nzahir » Wed May 15, 2024 4:56 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
nzahir wrote:Who is the 1a/1b? Mitchell? Is that better than AD (and maybe a guye like Mitchell, Trae, Lavine?)

It's the depth in Clev that matters. Mobley and a bunch of 3 pt shooters that LA doesn't have on top of Mitchell/Garland(whichever stay if not both) and still being able to trade Allen for something. LeBron would actually be able to take it easy in the rs for once.

What would LA take back for Bron?

Would they want someone like Garland or Allen (or a 3 teamer) or you think they would do Levert, Strus, filler and a couple picks?

I think if they want Garland it should be Garland and Levert for Bron and Reaves

Sign CP3 for vet min?

Would Indi do Turner for Allen and something small?

Mitchell, Strus, Bron, Mobley, Turner
Cp3, Reaves, Okoro, Dean Wade, Niang, ?

Still have the mle?

Maybe move Allen for a SF instead? Or move Reaves for a more physical guard?

Some potential there
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,296

Post#968 » by dcstanley » Wed May 15, 2024 1:21 pm

I think the Lakers have the scratch to acquire Mitchell. I think they'll be aggressive in trying to get that done.
Ian Scuffling
Junior
And1: 400

Post#969 » by Ian Scuffling » Wed May 15, 2024 1:38 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Are you implying a connection, here? :D
Ian Scuffling
Junior

Post#970 » by Ian Scuffling » Wed May 15, 2024 1:49 pm

Off topic, but I think Jokic heard some of those rumblings about him, when the Nuggets were down 2-0. That dude is good. Very good. Also, the troll that used a one game sample to try and denigrate Lebron's defense on Gordon. Wonder what his feelings are now as Gordon has been scoring much better this series than against the Lakers. Actually, I don't wonder, but it is hilarious.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,274

Post#971 » by McBubbles » Wed May 15, 2024 11:17 pm

Why in the **** **** is JJ Reddick a top coaching candidate?

What is it with the Lakers, and to a greater extent NBA players making **** FO decisions?

BEING GOOD AT DOING SOMETHING IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING GOOD AT UNDERSTANDING SOMETHING. How many times does this need to fail spectacularly before people realise that having zero coaching experience isn't conducive to being a good coach FFS.

Edit - Despite the fact that JJ Reddick never displayed anything other than an average basketball IQ, he will be referred to as super high IQ by fans and talking heads on account of him being well spoken and white.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,835

Post#972 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed May 15, 2024 11:54 pm

McBubbles wrote:Why in the **** **** is JJ Reddick a top coaching candidate?

What is it with the Lakers, and to a greater extent NBA players making **** FO decisions?

BEING GOOD AT DOING SOMETHING IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING GOOD AT UNDERSTANDING SOMETHING. How many times does this need to fail spectacularly before people realise that having zero coaching experience isn't conducive to being a good coach FFS.

Edit - Despite the fact that JJ Reddick never displayed anything other than an average basketball IQ, he will be referred to as super high IQ by fans and talking heads on account of him being well spoken and white.

It's genuinely odd to me how much momentum this is getting. The comparison I've seen made is to Steve Kerr, but Kerr was at least a GM for three years before he got that Warriors job. I think Redick is fine as an analyst, but I haven't heard anything from him that makes me think he's some kind of coaching prodigy. Not to mention the potential pitfalls of having someone go from LeBron's podcast partner to his coach within a matter of months.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#973 » by nzahir » Thu May 16, 2024 3:48 am

So looks like Cavs would move Garland if Mitchell stays......Lebron and Reaves for Garland, Levert and a 1st?

Or Lebron for Garland+Niang (if needed)?

Would need to get a 3 and d guard and or wing though
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,567

Post#974 » by GSP » Thu May 16, 2024 4:05 am

nzahir wrote:So looks like Cavs would move Garland if Mitchell stays......Lebron and Reaves for Garland, Levert and a 1st?

Or Lebron for Garland+Niang (if needed)?

Would need to get a 3 and d guard and or wing though

Theres no way in hell La is doing Bron and Reaves for Garland, Levert and a 1st lmao

I mean they already said they werent trading Reaves except for a star and Garland is pretty much another Dlo......
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#975 » by Heej » Thu May 16, 2024 4:18 am

:lol: c'mon man be serious now. Spot on up until that point

JJ maximizes his potential in everything he does imo and the slate of guests he's been able to pull on to his pod just goes to show how adept he is at the most important aspect of being a coach: connecting with people. I think in their pods LeBron is a much bigger yes-man than JJ is tbh.

The true test is going to be whether he has a sense for managing momentum and what adjustments can work. As well as taking the reins of the team when they start getting unstructured and undisciplined. Ham was too hands off with his approach and players complained about how they needed to be coached as well. I don't think JJ has that problem or desire to be accepted as badly.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,274

Post#976 » by McBubbles » Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 am

Heej wrote:

JJ maximizes his potential in everything he does imo and the slate of guests he's been able to pull on to his pod just goes to show how adept he is at the most important aspect of being a coach: connecting with people. I think in their pods LeBron is a much bigger yes-man than JJ is tbh.

The true test is going to be whether he has a sense for managing momentum and what adjustments can work. As well as taking the reins of the team when they start getting unstructured and undisciplined. Ham was too hands off with his approach and players complained about how they needed to be coached as well. I don't think JJ has that problem or desire to be accepted as badly.

Search your heart Heej you know I'm right :lol: Hell the Steve Kerr comparisons are probably just literally about the fact they were both white jump shooters. I'm not even joking. Luka Doncic, despite playing NOTHING like Larry Bird and being very similar stylistically to James Harden gets called Bird 2.0 all the time. Sports media really can't help itself with connecting (racialized) dots where there are none. Cough cough Kendrick Perkins. Hell I remember when people called Jeremy Lin "Mini Yao Ming". There's NOTHING similar about these two basketball wise or otherwise. LIN ISN'T EVEN CHINESE, and he wasn't even born in Asia lmao. But nah, 1 Asian looking person + Another Asian = they must be similar somehow :banghead:

And the true test is the only test. Being likable is less important than being competent. There were so many ass coaches for so long in the NBA that you could get by on being likable with bare minimum tactical accumen, but the talent level for coaching rn is so high I feel that if you have contender aspirations you need to be strong on that front.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
Heej
General Manager

Post#977 » by Heej » Thu May 16, 2024 1:44 pm

McBubbles wrote:
Heej wrote:

Search your heart Heej you know I'm right :lol: Hell the Steve Kerr comparisons are probably just literally about the fact they were both white jump shooters. I'm not even joking. Luka Doncic, despite playing NOTHING like Larry Bird and being very similar stylistically to James Harden gets called Bird 2.0 all the time. Sports media really can't help itself with connecting (racialized) dots where there are none. Cough cough Kendrick Perkins. Hell I remember when people called Jeremy Lin "Mini Yao Ming". There's NOTHING similar about these two basketball wise or otherwise. LIN ISN'T EVEN CHINESE, and he wasn't even born in Asia lmao. But nah, 1 Asian looking person + Another Asian = they must be similar somehow :banghead:

And the true test is the only test. Being likable is less important than being competent. There were so many ass coaches for so long in the NBA that you could get by on being likable with bare minimum tactical accumen, but the talent level for coaching rn is so high I feel that if you have contender aspirations you need to be strong on that front.

Hahaha trust me I agree bro. On literally everything including the racist comps. I just truly remember JJ as an above average but perhaps nothing super special IQ kinda guy. You gotta have some IQ to stick around for as long as he did despite being an F tier NBA athlete I should think lol. And guess being likeable vs competent isn't an either/or thing anyway. The good ones have enough of both I think. Completely agree that the coaching market inefficiency has essentially been cornered now.

The cats out of the bag as far as how stacked a Championship bench needs to be. The good franchises have eked out every possible edge, and the coaching disparity between the haves and the have nots is only going to grow. Lol @ the Lakers thinking that 70yo Chris Jent and Phil Handy are championship level assistants next to Darvin Scam. That's why I can trick myself into coping with the JJ hire. At least gamble on the young minds instead of the retreads. Ham failed, maybe this gamble can work.

I don't even know a veteran that's great that's gonna be available now anyway for that spot anyway. James Borrego might be the best choice but is he special? Idt so. Mannn, the Lakers f***ed up the golden hand they were dealt in 2019. Had LeBron and could've easily brought Ty Lue in after Walton. Made stupid moves like letting BroLo and Randle walk as well as trading Zubac for f***ing Mike Muscala. There are very few franchises in the league that I think could've misused their assets as poorly as the Lakers did lol.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Ian Scuffling
Junior

Post#978 » by Ian Scuffling » Thu May 16, 2024 2:19 pm

So right about 2019, Heej. They were golden and then did everything possible to **** it all up. Somebody once said tongue in cheek, that Pelinka is sabotaging Lebron so he doesn't get as many Championships as Kobe. I laughed at the jest out loud back then, but given the moves this dumbass has made since then, makes you wonder :) I don't really believe that, btw. It's just that he's been pretty bad at his job.
Heej
General Manager

Post#979 » by Heej » Thu May 16, 2024 3:44 pm

Ian Scuffling wrote:So right about 2019, Heej. They were golden and then did everything possible to **** it all up. Somebody once said tongue in cheek, that Pelinka is sabotaging Lebron so he doesn't get as many Championships as Kobe. I laughed at the jest out loud back then, but given the moves this dumbass has made since then, makes you wonder :) I don't really believe that, btw. It's just that he's been pretty bad at his job.

Lol it's wild that he's so bad at his job it's literally a joke. How many franchises would've done as bad a job as he did with the team? Maybe the Pistons, Wizards, Rockets, Bulls? Honestly the only one I'd clearly think is more poorly managed are the Pistons and Wizards
Ian Scuffling
Junior

Post#980 » by Ian Scuffling » Thu May 16, 2024 7:25 pm

I'm thinking the early 2000 Cavs would have effed it up, too. As a Cavs fan, it still stings that Boozer left. Guess who is agent was at the time? Rob Pelinka! LMAO, you can't make this stuff up.

Return to Player Comparisons