Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
45%

Total votes: 40

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,594

Re: SGA vs. ANT: Next 7 years 

Post#21 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 15, 2024 3:07 am

I'd like Edwards advanced stats to be a bit better than .130 WS/48 and 3.3 to take him over a proven MVP candidate in SGA. For example 2017 Giannis as a similar athletic freak who was 2 years away from his real MVP form still had .210 WS.48 and 7.3 BPM.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#22 » by Heej » Wed May 15, 2024 4:05 am

O_6 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
O_6 wrote:18-10 vote edge for Anthony Edwards at the time of this post.

Pretty crazy how highly so many of us are projecting Edwards to be willing to take a gamble on his potential when SGA is a 25 year old who finished 2nd in EPM and 2nd in MVP for the #1 seed in the West. Two way beast who is good for an efficient 30 PPG while being a solid passer. Who already had a 1st team NBA appearance last year when he finished 5th in the MVP vote.

SGA looks locked in to be a Top 5 player with a chance to win atleast one MVP over these next 7 years, just wild how Edwards still seems to be the fairly clear choice so far in this thread.

This is kind of a time capsule post as I wanted to see how the vibe was in regards to this comp as of today, it will be really fun looking back at this post in 3 years time or so to see which option would've been the correct choice.

What do you mean a gamble on ANT's potential?

He is already a Top 5 post-season performer over the past 3 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, he's already really good and has been sensational in these playoffs. But he hasn't proven it over 82 games (not that I'd expect him to at that age), so it still is a gamble if he actually turns into "this guy" on a regular basis.

I'm sold on him, I think he'll be a future MVP. But let's not act like he's already an established MVP candidate like SGA has proven to be. It's why this is a fun debate imo. Is Edwards' potential ceiling so scary high that we're willing to roll the dice on that over the proven commodity of a player like SGA who is a Top 5 player in the league easily this year with a great Top 3 argument?

He's the best combination of skill and explosion we've seen since Jordan and Wade. The other 3 S-tier athletes in the league right now are Zion Ausar and Ja. Ant is the one that looks to be panning out with health and situation.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,184

Post#23 » by tsherkin » Wed May 15, 2024 5:14 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I'd like Edwards advanced stats to be a bit better than .130 WS/48 and 3.3 to take him over a proven MVP candidate in SGA. For example 2017 Giannis as a similar athletic freak who was 2 years away from his real MVP form still had .210 WS.48 and 7.3 BPM.

The general pro-Ant argument is about his postseason play.

Last year, he was at .190 WS/48 and +7.3 OBPM, to borrow your stats. So far this postseason, .219 WS/48 and +6.4 OBPM.

It's quite different than his RS play, to be sure.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,472

Post#24 » by Billl » Wed May 15, 2024 8:51 pm

Average over those 7 years? Shai. He's already there, so Ant is playing from behind.

The best single season in the next 7 years? I might bet on Ant. If he keeps going like this, what's he going to look like at 27?
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,578

Post#25 » by GSP » Sat May 25, 2024 3:27 am

Youre basically betting on Ants ball Iq to get to a certain level to make this him.

As of 2024 they are not on the same tier as this series and really season as a whole is showing. Sga is far better but Ofc this thread was about future so we shall see

Return to Player Comparisons