What if these superstars were “moderately better” at this skill?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Hook_Em
Rookie
And1: 764

What if these superstars were “moderately better” at this skill? 

Post#1 » by Hook_Em » Sun May 19, 2024 5:50 am

Humor me:

Not marginally or significantly better, just moderately better (so somewhere in between). Don’t ask me what I mean just give your interpretation of how it would’ve affected their game, peak or legacy:

KG was a moderately better scorer
Dirk was a moderately better passer
Curry was a moderately better defender
KD had a moderately higher bb iq
Wade was a moderately better 3P shooter
CP3 was moderately more durable
Harden was moderately more clutch
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Re: What if these superstars were “moderately better” at this skill? 

Post#2 » by Peregrine01 » Sun May 19, 2024 5:54 am

CP3 being moderately more durable. If that increases his chances of not being injured by say 10%, I think that trumps every other scenario on this list.
jalengreen
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,122

Post#3 » by jalengreen » Sun May 19, 2024 5:55 am

does harden's clutch boost just apply to end of game scenarios or postseason in general

edit: well i guess you specifically insisted on no clarifying questions. i'll just go with the postseason interpretation and say that it boosts his legacy a ton lol
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,028

Post#4 » by OhayoKD » Sun May 19, 2024 6:16 am

cp3 being moderately more durable seems the biggest though moderately better scorer KG becomes a real goat-tier player(at least in terms of impacting winning)
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Throwawaytheone
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#5 » by Throwawaytheone » Sun May 19, 2024 10:00 am

Curry being a little bit better of a defender has literally no impact on his ranking all time, peak wise, prime wise, nothing. It simply doesn't move the needle enough. I think this also applies to Wade here.

If Dirk was a little better of a passer, I don't think his general legacy would change much because he would need a lot more than that to win outside of 2011, but his perception peak/prime wise would change a decent bit, he'd probably be talked about in the top 7 offensive players ever more consistently with some shouts for top 1/2/3.

Harden moderately more clutch is just nothing talk.

If KG was a bit better of a scorer, he'd be a straight up great first option scorer on a title team (even if he wouldn't be particularly noteworthy at that) and that would vault him to GOAT peak conversations with a strong case, but like Dirk, it wouldn't affect his legacy to the masses much, I doubt it'd get them a ring in 04 for example.

If CP3 was moderately more durable, I think this has the biggest legacy jump. He has a chance at multiple rings now, and a much stronger overall postseason resume. I don't think the evaluation of him as a player would change much though.

Durant with moderately higher BBIQ wouldn't change much, it's not like his is notoriously bad, he lacks passing skill and court vision that other players have which more BBIQ wouldn't fix. I suppose you could argue with more BBIQ he would have made that 3 pointer in the 21 Nets vs Bucks series and potentially won a title? Not likely though.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,305

Post#6 » by tsherkin » Sun May 19, 2024 2:10 pm

Hook_Em wrote:KG was a moderately better scorer

They might have won the title in 2004. They might have won the title in 2010. They would have exited the first round more prior to 2004. The discourse around him would be more positive because scoring is emphasized in most media and fan narratives.

Dirk was a moderately better passer

I don't see this changing much. Passing didn't really inhibit him from winning. He was a willing passer, just not a savant.

Curry was a moderately better defender

Largely unchanged.

KD had a moderately higher bb iq

I don't know. They weren't going to beat the Spurs in 2014 and I don't think IQ was why KD fell flat in 2016. I don't think it would have mattered in 2021 for Brooklyn, either.

Wade was a moderately better 3P shooter

Might have had some better longevity. Tough to say, since he was hurling himself at the rim all day long the whole time and had an injury red-flagged while he was still at Marquette. Would have given a different look, though, and changed some synergy with Lebron and all those things. Without totally changing who he was, though, I think it matters more in the later days of his career. Maaaaybe they title in 2011 or (more probably) 2014.

CP3 was moderately more durable

Possible title with Phoenix. Maybe even a title with OKC. Probably a title with Houston. Outside chance with the Clippers in 2015.

Harden was moderately more clutch

So for this, he'd likely need more of a middle game. Might have changed some outcomes. Might have helped in Houston. Perception of him would be a little different, unquestionably.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,323

Post#7 » by DirtyDez » Sun May 19, 2024 4:32 pm

tsherkin wrote:Wade was a moderately better 3P shooter

Might have had some better longevity. Tough to say, since he was hurling himself at the rim all day long the whole time and had an injury red-flagged while he was still at Marquette. Would have given a different look, though, and changed some synergy with Lebron and all those things. Without totally changing who he was, though, I think it matters more in the later days of his career. Maaaaybe they title in 2011 or (more probably) 2014.

Wade was already lethal offensively but now teams have to respect him further from the paint? Or at least he’s more reliable if open? To me that not only makes him the 2nd greatest SG at his peak but also a better fit with the big 3.

tsherkin wrote:KD had a moderately higher bb iq

I don't know. They weren't going to beat the Spurs in 2014 and I don't think IQ was why KD fell flat in 2016. I don't think it would have mattered in 2021 for Brooklyn, either.

Higher IQ improves everything so making KD a little bit better at everything is pretty scary given his talent. Or maybe it just means he makes smarter decisions and doesn’t leave Golden St lol
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by tsherkin » Sun May 19, 2024 4:46 pm

DirtyDez wrote:Wade was already lethal offensively but now teams have to respect him further from the paint? Or at least he’s more reliable if open? To me that not only makes him the 2nd greatest SG at his peak but also a better fit with the big 3.

I don't think it really mattered in his day when he was healthy and the solo star on the Heat, to be honest. He was a pretty good shooter from mid-range and had more range than that by 05, let alone 06 or 09. A bit inconsistent, but still.

Ultimately, POA 3pt shooting was less relevant because he spammed pick and rolls to slither in the lane and had an explosive first step, a strong body and good handles. A 3 would have done only so much for him in that regard but take him away from drawing fouls and getting buckets in the paint. It would have had more value later, when he joined Lebron.

Like, there wasn't much space in his healthy career where not having as much range was a huge issue for him, so we're talking a little added to the margins here, not a big change as a focal offensive player.

Higher IQ improves everything so making KD a little bit better at everything is pretty scary given his talent. Or maybe it just means he makes smarter decisions and doesn’t leave Golden St lol

Yeah, maybe? I don't know. KD's problems center more around insecurity and sensitivity than they do with his decisions on the basketball court. And teammate health/quality. He could easily have had many more rings if Westbrook was a competent scorer instead of as weak-sauce as he was, right? Or if things worked out better in Brooklyn with Harden and all that.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,570

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 6:11 pm

Changes nothing with Dirk. He was never a playmaker, but made the right pass and decisively over and over and over again. Dallas was just an extra pass team so you don't see assist totals. But there is a reason Dallas always had great offenses even with a relatively low usage star in Dirk.

Ignoring the last one since clutch is so nebulous, it feels like Dirk gains the least from your added moderate skill. This simply wasn't an area of weakness and nobody who watched the Mavs play could think that. It's just retroactive check the box scores see the low assist totals that could lead one there.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by tsherkin » Sun May 19, 2024 6:29 pm

Texas Chuck wrote: This simply wasn't an area of weakness and nobody who watched the Mavs play could think that. It's just retroactive check the box scores see the low assist totals that could lead one there.

Agreed. He wasn't a dynamic POA playmaker and he wasn't Jokic, but he also didn't hold the ball for lengthy possessions, didn't miss making the basic passes to keep the offense flowing, etc. Moved well without the ball to enable other action in which he didn't have a direct hand, had multiple spots he could operate from. Just a very fluid offensive player.
Hook_Em
Rookie
And1: 764

Post#11 » by Hook_Em » Sun May 19, 2024 7:55 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Changes nothing with Dirk. He was never a playmaker, but made the right pass and decisively over and over and over again. Dallas was just an extra pass team so you don't see assist totals. But there is a reason Dallas always had great offenses even with a relatively low usage star in Dirk.

Ignoring the last one since clutch is so nebulous, it feels like Dirk gains the least from your added moderate skill. This simply wasn't an area of weakness and nobody who watched the Mavs play could think that. It's just retroactive check the box scores see the low assist totals that could lead one there.

My Dirk thought with added playmaking is he already has borderline great handles for his size so he could do some point center stuff. Making an already great player better doesn’t hurt.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by tsherkin » Sun May 19, 2024 7:57 pm

Hook_Em wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Changes nothing with Dirk. He was never a playmaker, but made the right pass and decisively over and over and over again. Dallas was just an extra pass team so you don't see assist totals. But there is a reason Dallas always had great offenses even with a relatively low usage star in Dirk.

My Dirk thought with added playmaking is he already has borderline great handles for his size so he could do some point center stuff. Making an already great player better doesn’t hurt.

Face-up ballhandling from the 5 usually isn't how point center action works. We've largely seen it in the context of action at the nail, DHOs above the arc and then action cutting around a post up. Him being a little better as a playmaker when he was slashing would go only so far. It's not like he was gonna get out there and spam POA pick and rolls.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,028

Post#13 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 20, 2024 8:44 pm

Throwawaytheone wrote:Durant with moderately higher BBIQ wouldn't change much, it's not like his is notoriously bad, he lacks passing skill and court vision that other players have which more BBIQ wouldn't fix. I suppose you could argue with more BBIQ he would have made that 3 pointer in the 21 Nets vs Bucks series and potentially won a title? Not likely though.

Makes a difference on defense
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL

Return to Player Comparisons