Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,662

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - General Thread 

Post#21 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:10 pm

LA Bird wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
LA Bird wrote:Interesting that we are going back to the nomination system. My initial thoughts was that adding only one nominee to the pool each round would make the list too similar to the previous one but then I figured if a player did not have enough support to beat out the other nominees, they wouldn't have enough support to be voted in anyway even if they were in the voting pool. The only exception is if somebody who was out of the top 6 last project had a legitimate GOAT case but that seems increasingly unlikely.

I do think it is feasible to have some kind of ranked choice voting with the small voting pool though. The issue with the last project was that people ended up ranking 20+ players towards the end of the project because everyone was voting for different players and there was no upper limit. With only 6 or maybe 7 players each round, the rankings shouldn't be too much of a problem.

One thing we could do is every 20 picks, add 1 spot to the nomination pool.

1-20 = 6 nominees
21-40 = 7 nominees
41-60 = 8 nominees
61-80 = 9 nominees
81-100 = 10 nominees

Considering the rationale for the smaller voting pool,
Spoiler:
* It allows someone who just wants to focus their attention on a handful of guys and choosing between them to do so.
* It prevents the voting from getting too spread thin, which helps us reduce the amount of tiebreaking concerns we have.
I don't think we will be increasing the number of nominees in later rounds. The only way to decrease "stickiness" from previous lists would then be to introduce a relegation vote in addition to the nomination vote - if there is 2 nomination and 1 relegation each round, new players can jump into the discussion quicker without affecting the pool size.

Creative solutions from both of you. Whenever the possibility of Relegation comes up, I'm intrigued! :lol:

Let's keep these in the back of our minds. I'd like to keep this as simple and smooth as possible. If the simplicity's inadequacy causes turbulence, we'll fortify as needed.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#22 » by rk2023 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:12 pm

OhayoKD and Lou Fan brought up some good points regarding balloting / voting logistics. I haven't participated in a holistic and robust project of this stature on here and in general before, so may not be my space to form an opinion or suggest what ought to be done. With that said, I certainly see pros in having a three name ballot for each voting iteration (unsure how I feel about nominees) - but understand a tradeoff of time can be a factor here. I feel like choosing between the 2-fold "one and one" and the 3-selections / round options is at the least worth discussing to gauge interest & arguments from potential voters.
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#23 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:18 pm

Jaivl wrote:Thanks for hosting, this project is what defines the identity of the board, and it seems like a huge investment of time.

Won't participate as I don't have the energy/motivation to commit (and past projects have left a sour taste at times), but I'll probably punt here or there, if that's okay.

First I want to say that I love hearing people say how much they appreciate the existence of this project. I share this feeling, and that's why I'm stepping back in after being a passenger on the trex-beast of burden that's been carrying us for a good while.

I think there's power in an iterating list like this in a community focused on discourse.

Re: punt here or there. If you just want to hop in and add your thoughts whenever that'd be great.

Remember though, that when it comes to voting I'm not asking you to commit to all 100 threads, it's just that when you're in it you stay in it unless something knocks you out, and then you try to get back in it when you're back on your feet.

Cheers Jaivl!

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#24 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:20 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:With the nomination method I'm more confident I'll be able to participate consistently throughout the project. Looking forward to it.

I'm glad to hear both that you're looking to be in it, and that you see a benefit to the approach I'm using. Yeah, I'm hoping it means it's easier for the participants.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#25 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:22 pm

Colbinii wrote:
-Luke- wrote:Don't feel quite well-versed enough to participate, but I will follow this with a lot of interest. Thanks for starting this Doctor MJ!

At the very least, you can participate in the discussion.

Yup, and Luke I might encourage you to start thinking of questions if you don't feel like you have answers. Those questions could be posted inside the project threads, but they might actually be worth their own thread on the board.

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,999

Post#26 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:29 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
LA Bird wrote:Interesting that we are going back to the nomination system. My initial thoughts was that adding only one nominee to the pool each round would make the list too similar to the previous one but then I figured if a player did not have enough support to beat out the other nominees, they wouldn't have enough support to be voted in anyway even if they were in the voting pool. The only exception is if somebody who was out of the top 6 last project had a legitimate GOAT case but that seems increasingly unlikely.

I think it will be interesting to see how folks take to it now. To be honest, while it wasn't something I would have come up with back in the day, and I was fine getting rid of it, I've come to appreciate the advantages of it since we've gone away from it. And with recent projects developing greater complexity that made this new Top 100 almost not run, I think it's time to try it again.

LA Bird wrote:I do think it is feasible to have some kind of ranked choice voting with the small voting pool though. The issue with the last project was that people ended up ranking 20+ players towards the end of the project because everyone was voting for different players and there was no upper limit. With only 6 or maybe 7 players each round, the rankings shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think that would be possible to do. It's something we can discuss as the project goes on. A couple concerns I want people to keep in mind though:

The issue here is the potential pitfalls of this will peak at the vote for #1 when the voter-base and interest will peak. Simply put, if you are only allowing 1-vote, the strategic voting may well just turn into a lebron-jordan flame-war where everyone else gets little focus or dicussion. And in the worst-case scenario where the person whose selected is not the one most people think is greater, there's a decent chance you get something like the kg-kobe incident from way back except times 100 because its the #1 vote.

That is also where non-realgm people's interest peaks, so for posterity, it would probably be neat if all the major candidates got some limelight which allowing 3 votes like they did the last time would garuntee. If anything it might be wise to start with 3-votes and then consider lowering it to 2 or 1 so the entry barrier is lowered at the point where interest subsides. Reducing it from 3 at the point where it's cumbersome to "rank a dozen guys" is probably a better approach to increasing it after-the period where people aren't considering a dozen guys has subsided.

1. Adding any complexity to the voting structure adds time cost to the runner of the project at the very least, and so we must ask why we are demanding this of the runner. It's one thing if the runner himself has a sophisticated voting scheme he wants to try, but some - including myself 17 years after leading my first project on these boards - don't have enthusiasm for it, and it makes them less likely to want to run stuff.
[/quote]
Well, if from what I understand, this is a long-term project which is only done once every three-years, doing things right here is probably more important than doing them quickly.

And maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to enlist some help with the project-running?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,495

Post#27 » by AEnigma » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:31 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
AEnigma wrote:Interested in participating.

I suspect the runoff rule will needed to be changed but it should suffice early on.

How many names will be on voting ballots? I see 2020 had three and 2017 had two.

I appreciate you recognizing that what I've laid out doesn't have to be perfect to get us started, and we can discuss how to optimize the process later if we need to.

Re: names on ballot. My intent is just 1 for the Induction and 1 for the Nomination.

Using a vanilla scheme like this gives people the option to vote strategically. They can opt to Vote for Player B to keep Player C from winning even though they prefer Player A above all.

This is a distinct con of the system I'm intending to use, but the context we're doing this matters here.

I'm someone who has long been a proponent of a more sophisticated voting scheme in politics because I see strategic voting concerns crippling our public discourse. Because the winner in politics gains actual power, the result of the voting IS the goal.

But the purpose of this project is first and foremost to foster growth in basketball knowledge and community, and so strategic voting is a more minor concern. The reality is that if in strategically voting for Player B, it encourages you to learn/share more about Player B than you otherwise would have if you'd continued to just champion Player A, that's a value add in my book.

I will say that the potential to pile on tearing apart Player C IS a major concern. That can concentrate and accelerate negativity depending on the behavior of the participants, and if it ends up going in that direction unchecked, it will really kill the enthusiasm we use as fuel to get us through this marathon.

Were negativity starts to ensue, that's where moderators come. Please do Report any clear cut behavior violations as you normally would. I'm specifically going to be trying to steer us toward a positive vibe, so that people want to keep participating.

Yeah I pretty emphatically disagree with not making it at least a two-vote ballot. Just like in many actual political systems, that functionally cripples the ability to vote principally and instead necessitates acquiescing to a choice between two, maybe three potential pluralities.

Outright, if anyone does not vote for Lebron or Jordan in the first round, they are throwing away their vote. That is the simple truth. Regardless of how strongly they may feel about Russell or Kareem (or anyone else), they will be a minority and that vote will go nowhere.

Yeah, I can recognise that this is the “simplest” way to run the project. And honestly, I would tally the votes for you each round if it meant not doing it this way.

I do not see how it improves discussion, and I definitely do not see how it would produce a more positive message. If you care about the result for your vote, you should be looking to argue against the other main contender(s). And again going back to the first post, that will turn it entirely into yet another “Jordan versus Lebron” thread.

Past that, the few who do hold firm and “vote third party”, as it were, are essentially setting themselves up to be harassed (in a sense) by everyone else, because they constitute a swing vote and they are “throwing away their vote” otherwise.

Outside of the early rounds, I also think it excessively promotes homogeneity — which defeats the purpose of an update at all. 70sFan has Thurmond in his top forty, so either he can throw away his vote for twenty rounds (LouFan touched on this), or he can ignore that entirely and just decide between consensus. Okay, Thurmond needs to be nominated first, and top forty will be a stretch for that to succeed, but there too, he is probably throwing away his nomination spot for fifteen rounds.

I am not saying increase the nomination ballot size (although you could), but what you are giving is essentially two slots to “foster growth in basketball knowledge”, with those two slots frequently compromised by electoral realities. People can communicate more than that, but what will be the motivation past that? We saw people in the peak projects start to tire and feel frustrated when they just quoted the same reasoning vote after vote, and there they had minimum three opportunities to contribute their reasoning. It was concordat voting, but not many of us took full advantage, so I would not expect that to improve when restricted to only one meaningful vote and then nomination. And in that situation, are we really going to expect people to just keep up posting repeats for ten plus rounds at a time, or otherwise stay invested by posting votes for players about whom they care little? I will participate either way, but I doubt I am alone in the sentiment that my participation would be a lot more consistent if I were not continually forced to do nothing meaningful but vote between pluralities I do not support.

I am fine with the nomination process broadly (although I share Colbinii’s sentiment that as the player range expands, so to should the range of nominees; six “valid” GOATs is much different from six “valid” choices at #75). It is the single ballot where I think that excessively hampers discourse.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,582

Post#28 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:39 pm

I'll participate though I don't know how long I'll last based on previous projects
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:41 pm

AEnigma wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I suspect the runoff rule will needed to be changed but it should suffice early on.

How many names will be on voting ballots? I see 2020 had three and 2017 had two.

I appreciate you recognizing that what I've laid out doesn't have to be perfect to get us started, and we can discuss how to optimize the process later if we need to.

Re: names on ballot. My intent is just 1 for the Induction and 1 for the Nomination.

Using a vanilla scheme like this gives people the option to vote strategically. They can opt to Vote for Player B to keep Player C from winning even though they prefer Player A above all.

This is a distinct con of the system I'm intending to use, but the context we're doing this matters here.

I'm someone who has long been a proponent of a more sophisticated voting scheme in politics because I see strategic voting concerns crippling our public discourse. Because the winner in politics gains actual power, the result of the voting IS the goal.

But the purpose of this project is first and foremost to foster growth in basketball knowledge and community, and so strategic voting is a more minor concern. The reality is that if in strategically voting for Player B, it encourages you to learn/share more about Player B than you otherwise would have if you'd continued to just champion Player A, that's a value add in my book.

I will say that the potential to pile on tearing apart Player C IS a major concern. That can concentrate and accelerate negativity depending on the behavior of the participants, and if it ends up going in that direction unchecked, it will really kill the enthusiasm we use as fuel to get us through this marathon.

Were negativity starts to ensue, that's where moderators come. Please do Report any clear cut behavior violations as you normally would. I'm specifically going to be trying to steer us toward a positive vibe, so that people want to keep participating.

Yeah I pretty emphatically disagree with not making it at least a two-vote ballot. Just like in many actual political systems, that functionally cripples the ability to vote principally and instead necessitates acquiescing to a choice between two, maybe three potential pluralities.

Outright, if anyone does not vote for Lebron or Jordan in the first round, they are throwing away their vote. That is the simple truth. Regardless of how strongly they may feel about Russell or Kareem (or anyone else), they will be a minority and that vote will go nowhere.

I think 3 would be better than 2. Especially looking at the #1, there are 4 major candidates here so picking "3" means voters consider all 4.

At the very least, maybe give people the option of doing 3 votes if they want. Many psoters like 70's are going to have very good reasoning and insight for all 4 of the players in question and I think it would be a great loss to the project to force posters to narrow down to the 2-person conversation every other platform/outlet has for simplicity.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,106

Post#30 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Count me in. I've been looking forward to this.
I agree with Doc's reasoning on the voting structure and anticipate it will work well and keep the voting process fun and easier.

While I have my own all-time ranking lists, I don't think it's as rigorous in its process as some users on here. I'm more interested in reading lots of perspectives and learning than I am in influencing things so that my favorite players win. I'll try my best to not nominate Ben Wallace in the top 10 all-time :p
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
ZeppelinPage
Head Coach
And1: 3,326

Post#31 » by ZeppelinPage » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:57 pm

I understand the arguments against the nomination system, but I think we also have to remember that a more complex system is just more work for the runner and probably quite the headache, and heading a project like this is already difficult.

I'm not too hung up on the way we vote, I agree with the idea that its the discussion and sharing of knowledge that is ultimately the most important thing. I'm not really sure how we vote would make much of a difference if most of the board doesn't share my opinions on a certain player. I don't really expect the list to ever be that close to what mine is personally, which is totally fine.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,495

Post#32 » by AEnigma » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:03 pm

I do not see “count #1 votes, if no majority then count #2 votes for a plurality or run-off” as especially cumbersome — and if it is, once again, can always assign that role to a volunteer who does not find it cumbersome.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#33 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:10 pm

OhayoKD wrote:Not trying to pressure you into changing anything, but...
Doctor MJ wrote: think it really helps foster conversation - and thus participation - as we get deep into the list.

Just scanning the opening threads for the 3 nominee/vote projects...
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=831786url
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1123396
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1330968
Was a better conversation really fostered here? I'm barely seeing any engagement with other people's points, reasoning, evidence, or claims. Just from a practical perspective, making nomination a thing takes away focus from the voting discussion itself. We actually see this in the 2011 voting where a fight about isiah and stockton being nominated basically took up all the discussion with little to nothing being talked about the actual voting.

Okay, so first off, there's a stark difference between the 2008 project and the other ones. The 2008 project was just a much smaller thing. What you might not expect is that 2008 was not as successful as the 2006 project (at least in my recollection). At the time I remember the 2008 one with a "Do we need to do this again? feeling. Note that it was only 2 years after the 2006 project and since then we've gone to every 3 years. It just tends to be that after 3 years enough has happened that folks have the requisite reservoir of enthusiasm to really make the thing go.

Second, I'd note that in the 2008 people were posting without giving explanations, but by 2011 they were. It's interesting because I don't recall that being an official rule change, so maybe it happened purely organically, or maybe it was influenced by the discussion of the RPOY in 2010, but that's the BIG improvement where the Top 100 becomes something that's a much more impressive community thing, and it doesn't happen with obvious major structural change from 2008 to 2011.

I think when you go from the latter Nomination projects (2011, 2014) to the non-Nomination projects (2017, 2020), frankly, they're all pretty awesome. If trex wanted to keep running the project this time like he did last time, I'd have been on board. But since it's me doing it, I'm going to try going back to something I saw positives in before.

OhayoKD wrote:Looking at the motivation...
* It allows someone who just wants to focus their attention on a handful of guys and choosing between them to do so.
* It prevents the voting from getting too spread thin, which helps us reduce the amount of tiebreaking concerns we have.
* It makes it harder for a guy to get onto the list within minimal discussion. A guy can still get Nominated without many people saying their piece about him, but once he is Nominated he's going to get the pros and cons bandied about.

This seems to operate on the assumption that it's currently too easy to disrupt the status quo but only 3 people have ever been voted #1 for the top 100 and only 1 person has ever been voted #1 for the peaks iirc. If a guy who wasn't previously considered is able to break past incumbents, wouldn't that imply he had a strong case? Basketball discourse tends to have a strong bias towards convention in my experience. If someone is able to earn a place in spite of that there's probably a good reason. It's not hard to see there being a situation where more than 1 player who have a strong case against the nominated field. Especially with a project that happens every 3-years. Is it really wise to be telling voters they can't vote for people who aren't already popular candidates? Isn't that basically codifying group think?

Even if a candidate stands no chance of winning, the discussion for that candidate compared to players who are already nominated(as opposed to restricting the conversation towards other non-nominees) could offer some perspective/insight.

I wasn't planning to vote for a non-nominee, but if someone felt strongly about someone not in the top 6 like Hakeem, West, or Mikan, I don't think they should be forced to vote for one of the first 6. If nothing else, it'll probably make for a more interesting discussion than us going over the same points that have been repeated ad-nauseum. If someone wanted to make the case for oscar vs lebron or a method of comparing how Mikan was percieved to how Kareem was percieved I'd want to hear it.

Y'know what, how would this be as a compromise:

No pre-set Nominations in thread #1.

Following thread #1, there will be a 5-man Nominee list created based on:

1. How many votes each guy got at #1.
2. As a tiebreak: Whoever was higher on the 2020 Top 100.

Note that I'm throwing in a change from a 6 to a 5 man ballot which I'm not married to. It's just that 5-man ballots are a more typical thing and I was only doing 6-man for specific reasons that don't seem as relevant if we're using this alternative process for generating a Nominee list beginning in Round 2.

OhayoKD wrote:That said...

Reservations with this process and all, I'd like to vote.

I would also strongly suggest we go with three. As far as fostering discussion goes, having people pick 3 instead of 1 or 2 guarantees more players are considered in some way or the other. And it would be nice not to have the political voting that would pretty predictably occur if people were forced to pick only 1.

Understood and it's something we'll monitor.

I'm glad you're both participating. You're both powerhouses who I think can bring insight to the process, so you should be involved.

I'll also say though, all 3 of us have had a tendency to get strident with each other. I'd like us all to try to keep the vibe upbeat here.

Cheers,
Doc

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:26 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
Y'know what, how would this be as a compromise:

No pre-set Nominations in thread #1.

Following thread #1, there will be a 5-man Nominee list created based on:

1. How many votes each guy got at #1.
2. As a tiebreak: Whoever was higher on the 2020 Top 100.

Note that I'm throwing in a change from a 6 to a 5 man ballot which I'm not married to. It's just that 5-man ballots are a more typical thing and I was only doing 6-man for specific reasons that don't seem as relevant if we're using this alternative process for generating a Nominee list beginning in Round 2.

That seems like a very reasonable compromise.

OhayoKD wrote:That said...

Reservations with this process and all, I'd like to vote.

I would also strongly suggest we go with three. As far as fostering discussion goes, having people pick 3 instead of 1 or 2 guarantees more players are considered in some way or the other. And it would be nice not to have the political voting that would pretty predictably occur if people were forced to pick only 1.

Understood and it's something we'll monitor.

I'm glad you're both participating. You're both powerhouses who I think can bring insight to the process, so you should be involved.

I'll also say though, all 3 of us have had a tendency to get strident with each other. I'd like us all to try to keep the vibe upbeat here.

Cheers,
Doc[/quote]
Will do my best not to agitate ya, doc.

FWIW, Anenigma is offering to handle all the vote-counting. You two working together would be an interesting plot-twist :wink:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#35 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:35 pm

OhayoKD wrote:The issue here is the potential pitfalls of this will peak at the vote for #1 when the voter-base and interest will peak. Simply put, if you are only allowing 1-vote, the strategic voting may well just turn into a lebron-jordan flame-war where everyone else gets little focus or dicussion. And in the worst-case scenario where the person whose selected is not the one most people think is greater, there's a decent chance you get something like the kg-kobe incident from way back except times 100 because its the #1 vote.

That is also where non-realgm people's interest peaks, so for posterity, it would probably be neat if all the major candidates got some limelight which allowing 3 votes like they did the last time would garuntee. If anything it might be wise to start with 3-votes and then consider lowering it to 2 or 1 so the entry barrier is lowered at the point where interest subsides. Reducing it from 3 at the point where it's cumbersome to "rank a dozen guys" is probably a better approach to increasing it after-the period where people aren't considering a dozen guys has subsided.

You make an excellent point about the loss of Condorcet accordance will matter the most to folks right at the #1 spot. I've never had a bother about my #1 vote not being one of the top two candidates in the Top 100, but it's going to take away something for others, and I don't like that.

I think folks should chime in here. This makes me think we should consider an optional 2-man ballot for the Inductee vote. (Still not sold on 3 - there's an incremental improvement sure, but the 2 man allows a voter to ensure that they put their #1 at #1, while also allowing them to have a say when their tastes run third party.)

OhayoKD wrote:
1. Adding any complexity to the voting structure adds time cost to the runner of the project at the very least, and so we must ask why we are demanding this of the runner. It's one thing if the runner himself has a sophisticated voting scheme he wants to try, but some - including myself 17 years after leading my first project on these boards - don't have enthusiasm for it, and it makes them less likely to want to run stuff.

Well, if from what I understand, this is a long-term project which is only done once every three-years, doing things right here is probably more important than doing them quickly.

And maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to enlist some help with the project-running?

The perfect is the enemy of the good. There is no "right" way to do all this. This is also not about speed. This is about overhead cost.

Re: enlist help with project running. Oh I have in the areas that obvious to do so. trex and beast are still mods on this board and we've been in contact about this. In the event I have to step away for a time, I know they'll step in if they can.

But what you're talking about is outsourcing the count on a thread-by-thread basis, and that's problematic. What you want is the next thread to be started and stickied as soon as the old vote is done, and so that either means an automated process, or one person doing one thing and then the next right after.

If folks want to propose an automated process, I'll listen, but I think it's important to remember that we could just have everyone submit their existing lists, press a button, and then look at the aggregate list. I believe this would be far less valuable to the community though. So while I'm not fundamentally against automating any part of the process, I'll tread carefully there.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#36 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:35 pm

AEnigma wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Yeah, I can recognise that this is the “simplest” way to run the project. And honestly, I would tally the votes for you each round if it meant not doing it this way.

I do not see how it improves discussion, and I definitely do not see how it would produce a more positive message. If you care about the result for your vote, you should be looking to argue against the other main contender(s). And again going back to the first post, that will turn it entirely into yet another “Jordan versus Lebron” thread.

Past that, the few who do hold firm and “vote third party”, as it were, are essentially setting themselves up to be harassed (in a sense) by everyone else, because they constitute a swing vote and they are “throwing away their vote” otherwise.

Outside of the early rounds, I also think it excessively promotes homogeneity — which defeats the purpose of an update at all. 70sFan has Thurmond in his top forty, so either he can throw away his vote for twenty rounds (LouFan touched on this), or he can ignore that entirely and just decide between consensus. Okay, Thurmond needs to be nominated first, and top forty will be a stretch for that to succeed, but there too, he is probably throwing away his nomination spot for fifteen rounds.

I am not saying increase the nomination ballot size (although you could), but what you are giving is essentially two slots to “foster growth in basketball knowledge”, with those two slots frequently compromised by electoral realities. People can communicate more than that, but what will be the motivation past that? We saw people in the peak projects start to tire and feel frustrated when they just quoted the same reasoning vote after vote, and there they had minimum three opportunities to contribute their reasoning. It was concordat voting, but not many of us took full advantage, so I would not expect that to improve when restricted to only one meaningful vote and then nomination. And in that situation, are we really going to expect people to just keep up posting repeats for ten plus rounds at a time, or otherwise stay invested by posting votes for players about whom they care little? I will participate either way, but I doubt I am alone in the sentiment that my participation would be a lot more consistent if I were not continually forced to do nothing meaningful but vote between pluralities I do not support.

I am fine with the nomination process broadly (although I share Colbinii’s sentiment that as the player range expands, so to should the range of nominees; six “valid” GOATs is much different from six “valid” choices at #75). It is the single ballot where I think that excessively hampers discourse.

You do raise good points.

iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#37 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:43 pm

In in in!!! Like the nomination thing. Should be an interesting change. Now I won’t have to vote for Chris Paul 10 threads in a row before he finally gets in if he’s just not nominated to start with. :)
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by OhayoKD » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:59 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:The issue here is the potential pitfalls of this will peak at the vote for #1 when the voter-base and interest will peak. Simply put, if you are only allowing 1-vote, the strategic voting may well just turn into a lebron-jordan flame-war where everyone else gets little focus or dicussion. And in the worst-case scenario where the person whose selected is not the one most people think is greater, there's a decent chance you get something like the kg-kobe incident from way back except times 100 because its the #1 vote.

You make an excellent point about the loss of Condorcet accordance will matter the most to folks right at the #1 spot. I've never had a bother about my #1 vote not being one of the top two candidates in the Top 100, but it's going to take away something for others, and I don't like that.

I think folks should chime in here. This makes me think we should consider an optional 2-man ballot for the Inductee vote. (Still not sold on 3 - there's an incremental improvement sure, but the 2 man allows a voter to ensure that they put their #1 at #1, while also allowing them to have a say when their tastes run third party.)
[/quote]

Honestly a big part of my preference for 3 is that big-opening thread with the knowledge there are 4 widely accepted candidates. I think it would be good to allow people to have ballots(and presumably corresponding knowledge/insight for everyone whose tuning in) like

1. Russell
2. Kareem
3. MJ
why not: Lebron

or

1. Kareem
2. Russell
3. Lebron
why not: Jordan

With that in mind, maybe you'd be open to this as a compromise?

For the opening thread, as the de-facto "ceremony" so to speak for the event, have it be 2-ballots with an optional 3rd and then reduce to 1-2 optional after.

You have a volunteer for taking care of the additional overhead coast for all the voting, so I think maximizing discussion and flexibility for the big open isn't bad. It's also a nice show of good-faith to have people putting 2 players at the start: i'm honestly considering the candidates, not just popping in so my guy is #1.

Pairing that with the #1 thread also establshing the new "immortal five", I think it would make for a very exciting discussion that showcases the great insight and community of the pc board when the "world"(or at least a small percentage of it) might be watching.
But what you're talking about is outsourcing the count on a thread-by-thread basis, and that's problematic. What you want is the next thread to be started and stickied as soon as the old vote is done

I'm not an expert in forum-running or anything, but would having cool-down time between threads be bad?
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,602

Post#39 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:10 pm

I'm in!
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#40 » by eminence » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:10 pm

I liked the criteria thread that was made last time around, so here goes for me, stream of thought on criteria.

1. I focus on cumulative career value, with the primary unit of measurement being the season. Games in a season, possessions in a game, games/minutes played by a top player have all changed significantly over the years. But it's always one season (well, minus those split league years where there were kinda two seasons at once). A season in the 1950's having the same baseline value for me as one in the 2020's (even seasons right next to one another may not be identical, but I'm not starting from a point of 'seasons in the 50's are worth 60% as much as ones in the 10s').

2. To determine seasonal value I have what I would call a 'Corp-adjacent' technique. The thought of value assigned per season is similar, but not strictly about determining # of championships, as I believe that requires league analysis (league structure, playoff structure, etc) beyond evaluating the talent/value of the players. Informally I'd assign rough value tiers along these lines:
-Replacement Level Player (no actual career value assigned to these seasons/players)
-Bench Player
-Starter
-All-Star
-All-NBA
-MVP
-ATG

-All the above are relative to the other players playing at the time or near to (comparing seasons a few apart is fair game).
-Tiers are more about degrees of separation from the pack than ordinal ranking from the top, eg there were a few years in between Mikan and Russell where no MVP or higher level players graced the game, despite there always being a literal 'Most Valuable Player'.
-I do not assign negative value seasons to any player ('16 Kobe comes to mind).

3. I do offer a slight upwards curve on longevity to players who retired prior to or near ABA creation (significant healthcare gains, more lucrative careers, etc).

4. Mikan/Russell uniquely get a bit of a 'no more ghosts to chase' bonus. I go back and forth on giving Magic a boost due to the unique circumstances of his first retirement. At a minimum I use it as a very strong tiebreaker.

5. I generally feel modern APM style stats do a pretty good job of capturing the value I talked about in #2, but they are certainly not perfect. WOWY type measures prior to that have some lesser use, but are of limited availability. If even WOWY type things are unavailable minutes or games played and team quality isn't worthless (lots of minutes on a good team, you're probably at least alright). Box-score stats are about showing the shape of a players impact or to point towards likely increases/decreases in impact.

If you have any thoughts let me know, questions, things I missed, etc.
I bought a boat.

Return to Player Comparisons