3%

Total votes: 65

5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Re: Al Jefferson vs. Andrew Bynum vs. Andrea Bargnani 

Post#21 » by 5DOM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:50 am

bryant08 wrote:^How is Bargs overrated? 90% of RealGM still thinks this guy's a scrub because he isn't a traditional big man.

Maybe 90% of non Raptors fans.
If you include us, it's gotta be much lower.
quackquack
Senior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by quackquack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 am

bryant08 wrote:^How is Bargs overrated? 90% of RealGM still thinks this guy's a scrub because he isn't a traditional big man.

Bargs is very polarizing... I'd say Raptors fans overrate him, while the rest of RealGM underrates him.
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#23 » by thegreatblaze » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 am

What an insult to Jefferson.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#24 » by evilRyu » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 am

Bargnani should not be in this list IMO.. not sure why he's added, other than to further bash him...
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#25 » by kooldude » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:45 am

TAI8 wrote:This thread is an insult ot Big Al.
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#26 » by kooldude » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:46 am

dcash4 wrote:stop acting like jefferson is the prime example of health. he played the same number of games as bynum last yr. has one full 82 game season like bynum, and has never missed less than 10 games in another other season.

basically u used bynum's rookie yr in a dishonest way. whether it was intentional or from ignorance, u couldn't man up and decided to go on some wild rant. its ok though.

but you're a Lakers' homer. :)
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,923

Post#27 » by gswhoops » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Neither Bynum nor Bargnani has done enough to even be in the same discussion as Big Al.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#28 » by timdunkit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:02 pm

gswhoops wrote:Neither Bynum nor Bargnani has done enough to even be in the same discussion as Big Al.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#29 » by john2jer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:15 pm

dcash4 wrote:basically u used bynum's rookie yr in a dishonest way. whether it was intentional or from ignorance, u couldn't man up and decided to go on some wild rant. its ok though.

Couldn't man up? Don't be a tool. I took your suggestion and excluded his rookie year and it got even worse. Quit being such a homer. One of your buddies tried making a statement about Bynum's defense and a healthy Bynum is supposedly better than 23/11 Jefferson, but the truth to the matter is there's hardly such a thing as a "healthy Bynum". So really you have to judge the players on what they are, not what you want them to be. And when you step into reality and look at the facts, Jefferson is better than Bynum, and Big Al's signed to a cheaper contract.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#30 » by Malinhion » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:22 pm

john2jer wrote:
dcash4 wrote:basically u used bynum's rookie yr in a dishonest way. whether it was intentional or from ignorance, u couldn't man up and decided to go on some wild rant. its ok though.

Couldn't man up? Don't be a tool. I took your suggestion and excluded his rookie year and it got even worse. Quit being such a homer. One of your buddies tried making a statement about Bynum's defense and a healthy Bynum is supposedly better than 23/11 Jefferson, but the truth to the matter is there's hardly such a thing as a "healthy Bynum". So really you have to judge the players on what they are, not what you want them to be. And when you step into reality and look at the facts, Jefferson is better than Bynum, and Big Al's signed to a cheaper contract.

This is the part that's such a gem to me.

Do you guys really think the Odom negotiations would have been such a pain in the ass if the Lakers didn't break the bank on Bynum? His extension sucked up all the cap space left by an expiring Ariza and Odom.
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#31 » by eatyourchildren » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:29 pm

Moot point now, isn't it? The whole team is back, minus the Artest-Ariza swap.
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,102

Post#32 » by dockingsched » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:48 pm

john2jer wrote:

going off on a wild rant again. you used bynum's rookie yr to talk about his health, which was either ignorant or dishonest. you got called on it, but couldn't just let it go. you start getting all smartass for some odd reason: "Are you seriously arguing that Bynum is player that can be counted on? Or did you want to try and skew the numbers a different way? How about total number of games played in the LA area? Does that help the argument?" i didn't argue anything other than you should be a little more informed when you post.

i could say, bynum played 83 games last yr, jefferson barely played 50, bynum's health > jefferson's health. thats lame though, like your inclusion of bynum's rookie yr.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#33 » by john2jer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:13 pm

Oh dear...

You're again ignoring reality. Comparing the two for exactly what they are, which is what this thread is about, and apparently what hurts your feelings, Jefferson is better than Bynum.

I included Bynum's rookie year because it's part of his career, but you got all worked up about that. So I said, fine, we can ignore his rookie year. I have no problem with that, and I can understand your argument about Bynum being the youngest rookie and playing for Phil Jackson, makes sense to me. But Bynum still has only played in 51.8% of his team's regular season games the last two years. I've taken Bynum's rookie year out of the discussion, but you can't let it go. Quit being such a homer.

And again, in reality, no matter how you want to twist the numbers, Jefferson is stil better and still cheaper. Now obviously the Lakers are a better team, but it has very little to do with Bynum. So take comfort in your team being better.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
bigblackben
Junior
And1: 0

Post#34 » by bigblackben » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Bynum is really overated cause hes on the lakers but its still Al Jeff by a long shot followed by Bynum and Bargz.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#35 » by microfib4thewin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:04 pm

eatyourchildren wrote:Moot point now, isn't it? The whole team is back, minus the Artest-Ariza swap.

No. Bynum's extension didn't make sense at the time, and it makes even less sense now with Artest and a resigned Odom. If things are working out then no one would care about the payroll as long as the owner has a deep enough pocket, but if there is a bump the Lakers couldn't overcome and they need to make a move, then they're in deep trouble because they have so many heavy weight contracts. There's just no way Bynum will play up to his contract with even more scoring options from last season, and when we do need to trade him away all we will get back at most are useless expiring players. Heaven forbid we need to trade Pau in order to get value back if things get messy.

It doesn't make sense to only talk about Bynum's last two years or his entire career. His first year has nothing to do with his health status, and he did play for the entire second year even though he was a third stringer back then. However, Bynum does have a more questionable health status, and he hasn't played enough games where he looked like an allstar to be considered over a 20/10 player who has maintained that average for nearly two seasons if you include his last 20 games in Boston. I still think Bynum can surpass Big Al, but right now there's no point in comparing. Jefferson has played long enough to get the benefit of the doubt that he could bounce back, Bynum hasn't.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#36 » by Malinhion » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:07 pm

What have you seen that makes you think Bynum can surpass Jefferson?

Please give me a January box score.
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#37 » by Gunny » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:07 pm

Jefferson's the closest one to being a premier, tier-1 big man.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#38 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:23 pm

Jefferson is obviously the best one here. I'd prefer Bynum over Bargnani, mainly because I don't like jump-shooting centers.

Regarding Bynum.....I'm a Laker fan, and honestly, I love his potential, but I'm very dissappointed by his play. I know he's had injuries and whatnot, but he seems so concerned about his own offense, when the Lakers don't actually need him to score.

Bynum is the THE perfect situation for himself. He's playing on a great team in an offense that is very friendly to bigs who work with their back to the basket. He's got arguably the GOAT big man teaching him and arguably the GOAT coach. He's got great passing bigs in Gasol and Odom, and Gasol takes care of post scoring. He's also got a top 3 player on his team in Kobe, not to mention shooting to space the floor.

He should be playing off others while putting 100% effort into defense and rebounding. His decisions on defense are very inconsistent, which causes foul trouble. His defensive rebounding is fantastic when he's on, but invisible when he's not. He should be a better shot-blocker. If he anchored the defense like I believe he CAN, and allowed Pau to play more of a secondary anchor a la Rasheed Wallace on the Pistons with Big Ben, the Lakers would be a beastly defensive team. Bynum should really study Tim Duncan's defensive fundamentals. There's no reason why Bynum can't be similar to Timmy in that regard.

I don't get why people don't see Bynum's potential though. He's actually got good post moves and a great touch around the rim. When he brings the ball up high in the middle of the paint and shoots over players, he can't be blocked. He squares himself facing the rim when he shoots jump hooks, which is an underrated thing for a big to do. He's got great length and a solid frame to take contact/battle for position. His explosion (jumping ability for dunks) through contact hadn't returned yet in last year's playoffs, but he did have explosion before that, and the 20 games he came back for isn't a good sample size to determine if the decrease in explosiveness is permanent (I doubt it since the injury wasn't horrible and he's young and apparently works pretty hard). He's got a nice jumper to keep defenders honest and can hit his free throws, too.

Bynum's got big potential. He basically sucks right now and is wildly inconsistent (and has been injured a lot), but considering the situation he is in right now and his potential, I think in the future (like, 2-4 years from now), he can become a perennial all-nba center if his health allows (and once again, that's a big if).
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#39 » by COY0607 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:33 pm

how is al jefferson even in this discussion.....he should be considered at the level of bosh, amare, gasol.......

Return to Player Comparisons