PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,791

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#2001 » by penbeast0 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:58 pm

trex_8063 wrote:What the heck? Fight training? What conversation did I walk in on?

I’m old and frail, apparently. The last time I went sledding with my son I cracked a rib (seriously).

Also I’m small and skinny. Kinda scrappy I guess. Bob Oederkirk in Nobody???

Ah heck, that was 35 years ago for me, I'm old and no longer quite so skinny. Also my feet are pretty messed up so I can't walk long distances anymore much less run. Cycling still works and it's super low impact here in South Florida where there aren't even any hills, but that's about it for me now other than sitting at a computer or in my recliner to read or watch TV.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,582

Post#2002 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:15 am

"We won a title but it still feels kind of bad" club

MLB - 90s Braves still have the edge with 4x World Series losses over current Dodgers but it's getting closer
NBA - West Lakers, Wilt 76ers also in the mix but he wasn't there long enough. Bucks modern candidate if they take more bad Ls.
NHL - last 15 years Bruins slight edge over Capitals in same period (depending if you take blown 3-2 and 2-1 finals leads as more painful than never make it past 2nd round)
NFL - Rodgers Packers and Manning Colts basically in exact tie, my gut feeling is the Rodgers Packers era feels worse despite how in other sports losing in finals usually makes them seem more tortured.

Edit - Golf: Greg Norman’s 2 majors. Not sure who the tennis version is. Maybe Roddick.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#2003 » by Colbinii » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:34 am

Dr Positivity wrote:"We won a title but it still feels kind of bad" club

MLB - 90s Braves still have the edge with 4x World Series losses over current Dodgers but it's getting closer
NBA - West Lakers, Wilt 76ers also in the mix but he wasn't there long enough. Bucks modern candidate if they take more bad Ls.
NHL - last 15 years Bruins slight edge over Capitals in same period (depending if you take blown 3-2 and 2-1 finals leads as more painful than never make it past 2nd round)
NFL - Rodgers Packers and Manning Colts basically in exact tie, my gut feeling is the Rodgers Packers era's success feels worse.

Giannis Bucks is a good mention.

Ironically, I see Toronto as extremely proud of theirs, even though their only post-season success during the Lowry Era was due to the Mercenary of Kawhi.

I see Denver as a happy team--knowing how ravaged they were with injuries and getting over the hump. Jokic is also a quiet superstar (far more than Giannis, for example).

I see Boston happy with the 1 KG got them.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ShaqAttac
Rookie
And1: 342

Post#2004 » by ShaqAttac » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:22 am

Colbinii wrote:

NFL - Rodgers Packers and Manning Colts basically in exact tie, my gut feeling is the Rodgers Packers era's success feels worse.

Ironically, I see Toronto as extremely proud of theirs, even though their only post-season success during the Lowry Era was due to the Mercenary of Kawhi.

I see Denver as a happy team--knowing how ravaged they were with injuries and getting over the hump. Jokic is also a quiet superstar (far more than Giannis, for example).

if bos is happy about the kg one why they fans always tryna act like they won in 09 and 10
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#2005 » by Colbinii » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:48 am

ShaqAttac wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

if bos is happy about the kg one why they fans always tryna act like they won in 09 and 10

Cuz day hate elay
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
penbeast0

Post#2006 » by penbeast0 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:45 pm

With Scottie Pippen Jr. Waived and Brandon Knight in Spain, the last NBA players I coached against have left the building. Sigh.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Post#2007 » by penbeast0 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 1:32 am

eminence wrote:
MrLurker wrote:It's nice to win get a win on the board. Ayton seemed to do a bit better. Our starlets aren't blowing me away but early tidings.

I still cannot send messages so I shall inquire once more - what websites am I allowed to upload an avatar from?

Mine is hosted by imgur, don't know beyond that.

This is a better place for this topic.

Imgur quit working for me, haven't made one work since. May try it again if it's working for you.
MrLurker
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#2008 » by MrLurker » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:54 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
eminence wrote:
MrLurker wrote:It's nice to win get a win on the board. Ayton seemed to do a bit better. Our starlets aren't blowing me away but early tidings.

I still cannot send messages so I shall inquire once more - what websites am I allowed to upload an avatar from?

Mine is hosted by imgur, don't know beyond that.

This is a better place for this topic.

Imgur quit working for me, haven't made one work since. May try it again if it's working for you.

In retrospect I should have realized off-topic discourse belongs in an off-topic thread - apologies

Imgur worked for me.
MrLurker
Sophomore

Post#2009 » by MrLurker » Thu Nov 2, 2023 10:35 pm

As I finished this comment the thread was locked. I hope it is acceptable to offer 2 pennies here.

Feels a storm was drawn up over a minor spat - Both posters talked past each other a bit - noted wrong-doing to a degree.

A-B is not nothing - it is also not everything. Luka is great - but not beyond reproach.

I interpreted the write-up as a warning against reacting strongly to small snippets - but I think some of the resulting mayhem may have been avoided if the initial spark was at the top.

Frankly - while I enjoyed reading the top 100 project - there was an outpouring of vitriol at the beginning. Some of it was entertaining - but more often it was a pain to read.

Things seem to have greatly cooled - and I credit everyone for taking steps to lower the temperature - but the climate is sometimes tense.

Perhaps striving to use a more generous tone - even if one does not wish to alter the meat of their commentary - would be a benefit
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,486

Post#2010 » by AEnigma » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:27 am

So is the Lebron thread going to be unlocked or did a singular and obvious troll succeed in his mission.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 6,048

Post#2011 » by falcolombardi » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:16 am

Gregoire: baits
Anyone: idiot

Mods: you are outta line!

Gregoire: baits (and gets treads locked i guess)
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,174

Post#2012 » by PaulieWal » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:49 am

falcolombardi wrote:Gregoire: baits
Anyone: idiot

Mods: you are outta line!

Gregoire: baits (and gets treads locked i guess)

Warned for backseat modding.

Mods have told everyone that when someone baits you, you are supposed to report the post. Responding to bait or a personal insult with another insult will always result in a warning.

And this is not a new concept, that's how the board has always operated and we have literally made 100s of posts on this.

Worst case if you don't know what's going on....PM a mod.

If people were just allowed to respond to bait or personal insults with personal insults, all this board would be is a cesspool and what you see usually on places like Twitter or Reddit.

For the millionth time use the damn "Report" button :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
MrLurker
Sophomore

Post#2013 » by MrLurker » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:24 am

At risk of a warning - Insulating oneself from mild criticism like this is poor form imho.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#2014 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:35 am

MrLurker wrote:At risk of a warning - Insulating oneself from mild criticism like this is poor form imho.

If you're under the impression that there's no way to communicate to RealGM about something pertaining to a moderator, please do realize there is.

You can use the same Reporting feature for a mod's post as for any other post.
I believe you can PM the mod directly if you want to relay something just to him.
You could also go through Contact Us type methods.

So yeah, backseat moderating concerns aren't about insulating mods from criticism, but about a specific decision that was made a good while ago about what leads to better discussion and community.

Also, in this case the person getting in trouble implicitly called someone else an "idiot". Honestly, that's something that could have led to a warning as well.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,174

Post#2015 » by PaulieWal » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:28 pm

MrLurker wrote:At risk of a warning - Insulating oneself from mild criticism like this is poor form imho.

You should have quoted me at least if you are responding to my post above yours. And I am not insulating myself from "mild criticism".

Assuming you posted this in good faith, it's pretty much a rule on all of RGM that responding to bait with bait or a personal attack will be met with warnings to everyone involved. The poster in question isn't criticizing but just misrepresenting facts.

If you wish to discuss this further, PM me or anyone else from the mod team or the site admins. Do not further hijack this thread.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
MrLurker
Sophomore

Post#2016 » by MrLurker » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:44 am

PaulieWal wrote:

You should have quoted me at least if you are responding to my post above yours. And I am not insulating myself from "mild criticism".

Assuming you posted this in good faith, it's pretty much a rule on all of RGM that responding to bait with bait or a personal attack will be met with warnings to everyone involved. The poster in question isn't criticizing but just misrepresenting facts.

If you wish to discuss this further, PM me or anyone else from the mod team or the site admins. Do not further hijack this thread.

Apologies - I should have quoted.

Also reasonable to note poster Falcolombardi levied an implicit insult.

Still, the acceptable avenues for discussion or criticism only being those where no one beyond the moderation team can witness that criticism is a form of insulation.

If to do this anywhere in the fora itself is hijacking - then perhaps it's better these thoughts are kept to oneself.

I will not further broach this subject, in private or public. I cannot send messages at the moment - but that is a separate matter.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#2017 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Dec 1, 2023 6:48 am

Doctor MJ wrote:

If you're under the impression that there's no way to communicate to RealGM about something pertaining to a moderator, please do realize there is.

You can use the same Reporting feature for a mod's post as for any other post.
I believe you can PM the mod directly if you want to relay something just to him.
You could also go through Contact Us type methods.

So yeah, backseat moderating concerns aren't about insulating mods from criticism, but about a specific decision that was made a good while ago about what leads to better discussion and community.

Also, in this case the person getting in trouble implicitly called someone else an "idiot". Honestly, that's something that could have led to a warning as well.

He didn’t he was imitating me calling gregoire an idiot
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#2018 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Dec 1, 2023 7:26 am

PaulieWal wrote:

The -off topic- thread?

I just DMed trex instead so I wouldn’t get banned, but a few things

(Update: no response lol)

I think a few people thought me getting suspended for a week was dumb but it’s fair I’ve been a dick on here the past year or two, that’s because of a seperate issue I had with the forum in general but that’s off topic and would be dumb to explain

I’m fine with the suspension, that doesn’t change that I think the way the situations been handled has been dumb, and that rewarding the troll to this extent is wild

I’m not saying the “warning button is there” advice is not valid it’s fair advice and something layer out, but if that’s the advice given it has to be trusted that doing so will eliminate the behavior that’s annoying people, no one is actually annoyed at Gregoires bait when they can respond to it because everyone can laugh at him begging everyone for analysis in PMs. If it was like Djoker or someone, yeah sure valid I get it you can’t just ban him, but it’s gregoire lmao. It’s also because the lebron thread itself is basically separate from the rest of the forum, half of us only post there

I’ve PMed about getting hit with a warning over a misunderstanding when I was making a joke about my own warning level and hall thought it was someone else and didn’t get a response
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,486

Post#2019 » by AEnigma » Fri Dec 1, 2023 7:44 am

Nah see they know he wants to be banned just so he can go to the General Board and claim martyrdom.

(Personally, I would oblige him. :lol: )
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#2020 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Dec 1, 2023 7:53 am

AEnigma wrote:Nah see they know he wants to be banned just so he can go to the General Board and claim martyrdom.

(Personally, I would oblige him. :lol: )

I’m banned from the general board for calling him an idiot on there too and posting screenshots of the chat

I don’t mind that the board is extra professional with stuff (well actually I do lol but not in the sense that I think it makes sense to argue against that it’s just how things are and that’s valid)

But this man is so easy to dunk on whenever he pulls anything lol so no one actually gets mad when they respond, if they take that way from us might as well kick him out

Return to Player Comparisons