Chris Paul is the Best Point Guard

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,804

Post#61 » by thamadkant » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm a Suns fan...

But Chris Paul is my favourite player.

I wouldnt say he is "CLEARLY" better than Nash..

people here are all impulse buyers..

Anyone forget when Nash scored 42 points 15 assists against Jason Kidd?.. who had a monster triple double also..

see.. people come here and proclaim "greatest" too often.. but its a free forum with free opinions so expect that.

Nash still has the edge when it comes to know what to do when it is down to the wire... 9/10 times.

But Chris Paul without a doubt to me... is destined to be on the same category as Isaiah Thomas... has the potential to be better as he is very atheltically gifted as well as a very high IQ at this age..

Deron Williams is a nice point guard... he usually uses his size against CP3 and thats one advantage... Deron Williams when things are not going his way tend to be less stable than CP3, but it also works his way as when he is on a roll... he stays on that killer mentality... and again... his size is a huge plus.. I like both PGs..

But I still think Nash has this season at the top... with Chris Paul just... JUST behind him ready to take it, Nash just has the intangibles and the decision making.. and ability to be CLUTCH.. he has more ablity right now to carry the whole offense when it counts...
Darren
RealGM
And1: 846

Post#62 » by Darren » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:27 pm

2poor wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The kind of defense that lets guys like Jannero Pargo score 24 points on 9-14 shooting? What I find funniest about CP's miserable game against the Jazz the other night is that nobody wants to mention that while Paul was on the bench because of foul trouble, Pargo was having his way with Deron.

But yeah, Chris isn't a good defender. Thats why Steve-freaking-Nash had 10 TOs last night right? Now compare that to the 1 TO Paul had and the many steals Chris got from Nash's turnovers (finished with 8, many off of Nash passes).

I am not talking about an individual players but a team.

NOK is surrounding by a bundles of defender like Chandler, West, Peterson, CP3 plays D. Only Peja doesn't have quick feet to play D. And he's tall enough to alter some shots.

Nothing against CP3, he is okay but not as good as Deron on defense.
Not to say, Deron's killer instinct is rare. He's tough leader.

Unlike CP3, Deron's playing underdog. Boozer doesn't play D. Okur isn't a shotblocking presence. AK cannot stay in front of his man. Korver, come on...you can't compare those 2 teams at all.

I think NOK can go deeper than UTA. That's my point. But Deron is my pick as the best PG in the league nowadays.
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#63 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:29 pm

I don't know who 'NOK' is. Looks like the lame acronym they used while OKC was trying to steal them.

Darren wrote:Nothing against CP3, he is okay but not as good as Deron on defense.

People always say this but never substantiate it. Chris has the stats, Deron has the opinions. I've never seen anyone give any reason why Deron is a better defender. He's good because a.) he's "bigger" and b.) since Chris Paul gets a lot of steals, that instantly makes him a bad defender because all he does it get steals.

So far from the truth.

Watch CP3-only highlights from last night and admire the steals he's getting. He's a good defender. And your rationalization that because the Jazz's frontcourt D sucks, this somehow makes Deron a better defender, really has no bearing. If you want to talk about how overrated AK47 is defensively because of the matadors in the frontcourt, maybe.

John Hollinger said it best in his chat yesterday;

ESPN.com wrote:Aaron (Seattle): Thoughts on the D-Will vs. CP3 matchup last night?

John Hollinger: (3:22 PM ET ) Impressive showing by D-Will, especially that dunk over Chandler. But it was one night -- we can counter with about 200 games worth of evidence that Paul is better.

Wayne (utah): Are you kidding? Here I thought I trusted you. First off Williams defers so much more than Paul, shoots a better percentage, career numbers are the same and oh ya he's more durable and did you forget the run to the conference finals last year. Most important Williams steps up in big games while Paul sits on the bench chewing his fingernails.

John Hollinger: (3:32 PM ET ) You're confusing Paul with LeBron on the fingernails thing. You're right, Williams has a better shooting percentage, but that's about where the argument ends. Paul is better in every other category and has been all three years of their respective careers.

Jake (Tacoma): If you're basing your ranking of Paul over Williams on stats alone, you may be right. But Paul lacks desire compared to Williams. Deron is a true competitor with the "X" factor found in all true superstars. Until Paul shows he has this, I'm going with Williams. 10 years down the road, you'll agree with me, guaranteed!

John Hollinger: (3:36 PM ET ) I presume by "X" factor, you mean "I've seen Williams a bunch more on TV than I've seen Paul."
T.Duncan21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#64 » by T.Duncan21 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:16 pm

Can't believe this is even a debate. Deron is a very good player but I would take Paul over him everytime.
risktaker91
Banned User

Post#65 » by risktaker91 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:24 pm

CP3 for MVP.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#66 » by bleu » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:27 pm

Apparently none of you guys watched the Jazz-Hornets game the other night. If you did you could see that Deron Williams is clearly a better Point Guard than Chris Paul. Chris Paul may put up good #'s, but he cant do **** when he plays a Point Guard thats auctually good.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#67 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:28 pm

So apparently, Steve Nash isn't good?
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#68 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:28 pm

I'll take the bigger PG if everything else is relatively close. I can see Billups, Deron, Baron being able to work CP3 in the post in the playoff's........
I'm so tired of the typical......
G35
RealGM

Post#69 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:31 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:^ i saw that play and i didnt get the feel he was like "you're not supposed to challenge my shot" i felt he got mad because barbosa almost injured him, but that's just my opinion

That's my point. "Almost injured" him. Paul doesn't like hard contact; he gets an attitude everytime I've seen him and someone doesn't just let him run all the court. Basketball is a contact sport. Barbosa barely hit him.........
2poor
RealGM

Post#70 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:41 pm

Barely hit him? What game were you guys watching? He came running full speed and blindsided an unsuspecting Paul (in midair no less). And he didn't "almost injure him," he knocked the wind out of him.

Not that the play was dirty, but it was certainly reckless and not the sort of thing you see on a nightly basis.
G35
RealGM

Post#71 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:49 pm

2poor wrote:Barely hit him? What game were you guys watching? He came running full speed and blindsided an unsuspecting Paul. And he didn't "almost injure him," he knocked the wind out of him.

Not that the play was dirty, but it was certainly reckless and not the sort of thing you see on a nightly basis.

Are you kidding? Paul didn't have any "wind" knocked out of him because he looked right at Barbosa and said "Damn man!". He was pissed because he wasn't given a free pass on the layup. There wasn't even a foul called on the play, give me a break.

If that is reckless then the NBA is getting soft. When Prince tracked Reggie Miller down he knocked Reggie all into the cameras 10 ft out of bounds. No foul called there and it looked worse than what happened last night........
2poor
RealGM

Post#72 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:50 pm

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with the play or the no-call, but I'm not going to act like the collision was minor.

"Barely hit him," please. Barbosa running full speed, leaping, and body checking anything under 6'5" is going to hurt.
otmshank1
Junior
And1: 416

Post#73 » by otmshank1 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:51 pm

Would you deron fans please STFU ALREADY!! Face it, Chris Paul is better than your man. Dont get me wrong, deron is still one helluva player but paul is clearly better

Homer fans
I'm sober enough to know what I'm doing, and drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
T.Duncan21
Junior

Post#74 » by T.Duncan21 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:53 pm

What the hell is it with you guys actually comparing their head to head performances. I hate it when people do that. Chris Bosh for years has been outplayed by Randolph and is Rasheed Wallace's biitch but that doesn't mean that they're better than him. I'm sure practically every team would take Bosh over these two. It's about what a guy can do against every team in the NBA over the course of a season. There are many guys that just get outplayed by certain players but that doesn't mean they're the better overall player. You all must be the same people who thought Melo was better than Lebron because of their head to head match ups and Melo's early success.
G35
RealGM

Post#75 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:54 pm

2poor wrote:I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with the play or the no-call, but I'm not going to act like the collision was minor.

"Barely hit him," please. Barbosa running full speed, leaping, and body checking anything under 6'5" is going to hurt.

That is minor. If there wasn't a foul called and even you aren't disputing that then it's minor. It's not even something to cry about. It was a close game and you don't give up on plays. This is why I want to see Paul in the playoff's.

If he is going to get mad about this little bit of contact then he doesn't want any playoff contact.......
G35
RealGM

Post#76 » by G35 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:56 pm

T.Duncan21 wrote:What the hell is it with you guys actually comparing their head to head performances. I hate it when people do that. Chris Bosh for years has been outplayed by Randolph and is Rasheed Wallace's biitch but that doesn't mean that they're better than him. I'm sure practically every team would take Bosh over these two. It's about what a guy can do against every team in the NBA over the course of a season. There are many guys that just get outplayed by certain players but that doesn't mean they're the better overall player. You all must be the same people who thought Melo was better than Lebron because of their head to head match ups and Melo's early success.

You must not have read about the Hakeem-DRob comparison. Paul better pray the Hornets don't play the Jazz in the playoff's........
2poor
RealGM

Post#77 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 7, 2008 5:00 pm

G35 wrote:That is minor. If there wasn't a foul called and even you aren't disputing that then it's minor. It's not even something to cry about. It was a close game and you don't give up on plays. This is why I want to see Paul in the playoff's.

If he is going to get mad about this little bit of contact then he doesn't want any playoff contact.......

selective attention does wonders.

keep on bringing up pathetic points in hopes that it somehow gives the edge to Deron. after all, this is what most Deron-related points are; pot shots and hearsay.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,591

Post#78 » by hermes » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:02 pm

chris paul is close to nash for being the best
don't know if he's there yet
gonnadunkonU
Pro Prospect

Post#79 » by gonnadunkonU » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:25 pm

2poor wrote:I don't know who 'NOK' is. Looks like the lame acronym they used while OKC was trying to steal them.

-= original quote snipped =-

I don't get why you're using John Hollinger to back up your love for Paul. Everyone knows Hollinger is one of the worst nba analysts. BTW If the 2005 draft could be held over again, I'd take Williams over Paul again. I can understand people who say it's close but I'd take Paul over Williams because of X. But for all the people out there saying Paul is easily better that Williams, you don't know basketball. Paul's stats are barely better Deron's stats, but keep in mind Paul averages more minutes. Also, Williams shoots a better FG% and a better 3FG%, plus he's as clutch as they come. I think Paul is a great player, but as a Jazz fan, I'd take Williams over him.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#80 » by ITK9 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:52 pm

i am absoltly disgusted when i see such threads.why the hell nobody started this trade after derron williams destroyed cp3 a few days ago?why?

pls get over it.he never lead a team to playoffs.he actually only watched playoff games at tv.nash is 2 times mvp and is the best pg in the game today.i would also pick derron over media darling cp3 anytime of the day

Return to Player Comparisons