Tim Duncan vs Kobe Bryant [in terms of accomplishments]

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

MrChow
Freshman
And1: 93

Re: Tim Duncan vs Kobe Bryant [in terms of accomplishments] 

Post#41 » by MrChow » Wed Sep 1, 2010 4:00 am

In conclusion

Duncan is not on Kobe's level, it's not just about rings, in 10 years Tim Duncan will be forgotten outside of San Antonio but Kobe will continue to be compared to the up and coming greats
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,538

Post#42 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Wed Sep 1, 2010 4:02 am

Duncan was more dominant at his peak. Kobe has had a longer peak though, thanks to Duncan coming into the league later and having a few injuries slow him down.
DreamShakeFTW
Senior
And1: 56

Post#43 » by DreamShakeFTW » Wed Sep 1, 2010 4:15 am

LALegend wrote:I have never seen anyone say that David Robinson is a role player. Please quote someone saying that...I'm sure we're all anxious to see. People are going to be trolls and change the facts. But the truth is...D Rob was one of the best centers of all time.

I was simply refuting what you said about Duncan being the best player on all the championship teams. If this were the case, he would have won Finals MVP instead of Parker. Let's also not forget that he shot 6-17 and 4-15 in the last two games of the Finals (since this always seems to be a popular argument against Kobe).

* Report this post

Re: Is D-Rob a top 10 center of all time?

New postby tsherkin on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:51 pm
There's a WORLD of difference between Robinson's position as a clear roleplayer on the 2003 title and what Kobe did for L.A. even as far back as 2000.
The Restricted Zone

tsherkin
Global Mod

* Private message
* Website

* Report this post

New postby therealbig3 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 pm
Oh I don't even consider that 2003 title towards Robinson's legacy, just like nobody should consider Payton's ring with Miami towards his legacy.

therealbig3
Sophomore

Terry Silver
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#44 » by Terry Silver » Wed Sep 1, 2010 5:00 am

MrChow wrote:In conclusion

Duncan is not on Kobe's level, it's not just about rings, in 10 years Tim Duncan will be forgotten outside of San Antonio but Kobe will continue to be compared to the up and coming greats

What a stupid post.
joeyAdaMan
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Post#45 » by joeyAdaMan » Wed Sep 1, 2010 5:27 am

Terry Silver wrote:

What a stupid post.

+!
Volcano wrote:Kobe must the best at everything. He's faster than Westbrook and stronger than Dwight. He's taller than Yao Ming and shorter than Earl Boykins. Nothing you say is going to change their minds.
Gotta_B_KD35
Pro Prospect
And1: 9
Location: Everywhere you've never been, i"m better than I've ever been

Post#46 » by Gotta_B_KD35 » Wed Sep 1, 2010 5:30 am

No. Don't know if you're being sarcastic but people would have forgotten Malone by now also. Duncan's one of the best PFs in NBA history if not the best. Most people have him in their top 10 before Kobe was considered. LOL your post was very biased and ignorant.
LALegend
Bench Warmer
And1: 14

Post#47 » by LALegend » Wed Sep 1, 2010 5:44 am

DreamShakeFTW wrote:
LALegend wrote:I have never seen anyone say that David Robinson is a role player. Please quote someone saying that...I'm sure we're all anxious to see. People are going to be trolls and change the facts. But the truth is...D Rob was one of the best centers of all time.

I was simply refuting what you said about Duncan being the best player on all the championship teams. If this were the case, he would have won Finals MVP instead of Parker. Let's also not forget that he shot 6-17 and 4-15 in the last two games of the Finals (since this always seems to be a popular argument against Kobe).

* Report this post

New postby tsherkin on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:51 pm
There's a WORLD of difference between Robinson's position as a clear roleplayer on the 2003 title and what Kobe did for L.A. even as far back as 2000.
The Restricted Zone

tsherkin
Global Mod

* Private message
* Website

* Report this post

New postby therealbig3 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 pm
Oh I don't even consider that 2003 title towards Robinson's legacy, just like nobody should consider Payton's ring with Miami towards his legacy.

therealbig3
Sophomore

Ok. Lets not get ridiculous now. 03 was way past his prime. He averaged 8 ppg and 8 rpg. Those are very average numbers for a center. He WAS a role player on that team. He was a big part of it in 99.
34Dayz on Smush Parker
34Dayz wrote:If he was given a few years to develop I could see him being a Star.
34Dayz wrote:I think because he has a silly name people will never take him seriously.
initiald
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#48 » by initiald » Wed Sep 1, 2010 5:46 am

Some of you are dumb as ****. Duncan can win with less cast? WTF?? Duncan's game is not much better than KG and we all can see what happen to KG's Mineesota. 1st round exit or not making the playoff. Compare that with Kobe with Smush, Cook, Kwame and got 7th seat and almost upset a superior team? That to me is a better than anything Duncan can do alone.

It's obvious Kobe's career last longer. THe same reason Kobe is still an elite player and Duncan's team is not.
Terry Silver
Banned User

Post#49 » by Terry Silver » Wed Sep 1, 2010 5:53 am

^^Is English your first language?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,111
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#50 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Sep 1, 2010 6:09 am

Duncan is not much better than KG, who is also better at his peak than Kobe. Solid argument, thanks.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
kabstah
Sixth Man
And1: 1,007

Post#51 » by kabstah » Wed Sep 1, 2010 7:12 am

initiald wrote:Some of you are dumb as ****. Duncan can win with less cast? WTF?? Duncan's game is not much better than KG and we all can see what happen to KG's Mineesota. 1st round exit or not making the playoff. Compare that with Kobe with Smush, Cook, Kwame and got 7th seat and almost upset a superior team? That to me is a better than anything Duncan can do alone.

It's obvious Kobe's career last longer. THe same reason Kobe is still an elite player and Duncan's team is not.

Remember when Tmac was up 3-1 and almost upset the Pistons? Almost doesn't count for anything. Fact of the matter is, if you took Kobe off of each of his title teams, the team left behind would be better than the 2003 Spurs minus Duncan.
Gotta_B_KD35
Pro Prospect
And1: 9
Location: Everywhere you've never been, i"m better than I've ever been

Post#52 » by Gotta_B_KD35 » Wed Sep 1, 2010 7:16 am

initiald wrote:Some of you are dumb as ****. Duncan can win with less cast? WTF?? Duncan's game is not much better than KG and we all can see what happen to KG's Mineesota. 1st round exit or not making the playoff. Compare that with Kobe with Smush, Cook, Kwame and got 7th seat and almost upset a superior team? That to me is a better than anything Duncan can do alone.

Really? I'd like to see Kobe lead this decade's weakest championship team to a ring? Give me one team in all of Kobe's championship teams that was as weak as 03' spurs? And what does a longer career have to do with their accomplishments? Based on their accomplishments Duncan is better but it's close. And I agree with no-kg-ai. I'd take either KG and duncan before Kobe because they both have shown they can anchor a whole teams defense in their prime.
Bruh Man
Analyst
And1: 743

Post#53 » by Bruh Man » Wed Sep 1, 2010 7:24 am

Duncan n Kobe are both better than kg(peak, career, and accomplishment wise). As for the question Duncan has a very impressive resume, but I would give Kobe the slight edge. I think by the time they finish off their careers Bryant will clearly have the better resume.
initiald
Banned User

Post#54 » by initiald » Wed Sep 1, 2010 10:44 am

Gotta_B_KD35 wrote:

Really? I'd like to see Kobe lead this decade's weakest championship team to a ring? Give me one team in all of Kobe's championship teams that was as weak as 03' spurs? And what does a longer career have to do with their accomplishments? Based on their accomplishments Duncan is better but it's close. And I agree with no-kg-ai. I'd take either KG and duncan before Kobe because they both have shown they can anchor a whole teams defense in their prime.

You mean 2003 Spurs with David Robinson, Young Manu, Tony Parker, and Stephen Jackson. Not to mention a hustler in Malik Rose and Steve Smith? Are you kidding me? That team compliment Duncan so well.

Compare that with Kobe's 09. What Kobe got? Pau Gasol is the only consistent player with Bynum almost a non-factor. The 3rd best player is Trevor Ariza, not even LO. Talking about weak championship cast!

Check KG's accomplishment during his time with Minnesota. He rarely get passed the 1st round. Part of it because he got bad supporting cast and he can't elevate them past the 1st round or making the playoff. My point is if replace Duncan with KG, he would be in the same boat considering at their prime, KG/Duncan are very closed. Kids need to rewatch more tape.
initiald
Banned User

Post#55 » by initiald » Wed Sep 1, 2010 10:47 am

kabstah wrote:

Remember when Tmac was up 3-1 and almost upset the Pistons? Almost doesn't count for anything. Fact of the matter is, if you took Kobe off of each of his title teams, the team left behind would be better than the 2003 Spurs minus Duncan.

Watch the tape again. Game 6 up 3pts, 1 rebound away from going to the 2nd round to face LA Clippers whose the Lakers should be able to compete and win, then WCF vs Mavs which Kobe normally killed them in that season (ie, 62pts in 3 quarters).
dn0774
Junior

Post#56 » by dn0774 » Wed Sep 1, 2010 12:36 pm

initiald wrote:
Gotta_B_KD35 wrote:

You mean 2003 Spurs with David Robinson, Young Manu, Tony Parker, and Stephen Jackson. Not to mention a hustler in Malik Rose and Steve Smith? Are you kidding me? That team compliment Duncan so well.

Compare that with Kobe's 09. What Kobe got? Pau Gasol is the only consistent player with Bynum almost a non-factor. The 3rd best player is Trevor Ariza, not even LO. Talking about weak championship cast!

Check KG's accomplishment during his time with Minnesota. He rarely get passed the 1st round. Part of it because he got bad supporting cast and he can't elevate them past the 1st round or making the playoff. My point is if replace Duncan with KG, he would be in the same boat considering at their prime, KG/Duncan are very closed. Kids need to rewatch more tape.

Please stop name-dropping David Robinson as if it meant something in 2003. He was done by that time, so was Steve Smith. Manu was a rookie spark off the bench. Stephen Jackson was solid but just as likely to be a liability as he was an asset in big games. Tony Parker was getting bailed out by Speedy Claxton in close games. That 2003 Spurs squad had no business winning a ring...it was thought to be a development year and they heavily overachieved (due almost entirely to Duncans huge playoff run).

Then you go on to mention the '09 Lakers as if they were short on talent? By virtue of having even 1 all-nba'er (Pau) next to him Kobe already had more help than Tim in 2003. Dont try and downplay LO's contributions either, if he weren't on such a stacked team he'd still avg 15/10 easily.

The 2000-2002 rings dont weigh that much into this comparison either. For those rings it wasn't even about how much help Kobe had...Kobe WAS the help.
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Post#57 » by jaypo » Wed Sep 1, 2010 1:30 pm

Initiald- one thing you are forgetting- Kobe may not have had an all time cast in 09, but compared to the rest of the league, he had the best team around him. And he wasn't exactly going thru the 00 Spurs, 00 Blazers, or 02 Kings to get to the finals! As a matter of fact, he had trouble getting thru weaker teams.

Need I remind you of the Rockets minus Yao, McGrady, and Deke??? You know- the team that took the Lakers to 7 games that year? When Kobe should have been suspended for his elbow but conveniently didn't?

People are very quick to point out that Kobe shouldn't be chastised because he had to play with Smush and Kwame. But they fail to mention that they weren't exactly playing agaisnt Bird's Celtics!!
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by Bgil » Wed Sep 1, 2010 2:19 pm

DreamShakeFTW wrote:
LALegend wrote:
DreamShakeFTW wrote:Duncan.

He was the best player on every championship team he was on.

Yeah, lets ignore the fact that Tony Parker won Finals MVP in 07. I don't get how people can be so blind to this fact. When its Kobe, the argument is..."OH he had Shaq, he didn't really win anything." Without Kobe, does anyone really think those championships even happen?

The Spurs have been contenders every year that Duncan has been in the league. No matter who else was on the team.

Kobe whined and bitched and pouted like a baby because he couldn't do it by himself until they traded for Pau.

Speaking of 'people ignoring facts'...

The Spurs were the 7 seed last year and went out in the first round the year before. They haven't contended for the last two seasons.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by Bgil » Wed Sep 1, 2010 2:20 pm

Visigoth wrote:Duncan has always had a crappier supporting cast. He makes his team-mates exponentially better. It's not a coincidence that San Antonio is famous for it's ability to draft "Diamond in the roughs". It's not FO genius, it's Duncan's ability to command the floor and lift his team-mates to higher levels of ball.

So how does that explain Udrih, Stephen Jackson, Barbosa etc.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by Bgil » Wed Sep 1, 2010 2:39 pm

jaypo wrote:Initiald- one thing you are forgetting- Kobe may not have had an all time cast in 09, but compared to the rest of the league, he had the best team around him.

The Magic had 3 All-Stars plus Hedo. Utah had Deron, Boozer, AK47, Milsap, Okur, Harpring, Korver. Phoenix had Nash, Shaq, Amare, Barbosa, J-Rich, and Grant Hill.

All of those are as good or better than Pau, Odom, Ariza, and Fisher.

And he wasn't exactly going thru the 00 Spurs, 00 Blazers, or 02 Kings to get to the finals! As a matter of fact, he had trouble getting thru weaker teams.

Need I remind you of the Rockets minus Yao, McGrady, and Deke??? You know- the team that took the Lakers to 7 games that year? When Kobe should have been suspended for his elbow but conveniently didn't?

People are very quick to point out that Kobe shouldn't be chastised because he had to play with Smush and Kwame. But they fail to mention that they weren't exactly playing agaisnt Bird's Celtics!!

That Houston team traded downgraded arguably their best player (Artest for Ariza) and traded away their second or third best player in Carl Landry and still won 42 games. If they didn't make so many idiotic roster moves last year they would have won 50+ games easy without Yao or T-Mac. Hell, the year before they won something like 22 str8 games with Yao and T-Mac getting hurt during the streak.

That Houston team is IMO the best coached team I've ever seen.

Return to Player Comparisons