PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,591

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#41 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:54 pm

I don't *really* care about awards shows, but uncut gems not getting any oscar noms is pretty weak.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#42 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:I don't *really* care about awards shows, but uncut gems not getting any oscar noms is pretty weak.

It is weak but the point of the Oscars isn’t to celebrate the best movies, it’s to generate controversy and conversations. If they just picked the “right” movies every year it would be incredibly boring and no one would tune in. I think they deliberately make awful choices so they stay in the limelight.

This might sound like a conspiracy but when I look at Joker getting 11 nominations it’s fairly clear to me what the Academy’s goals are.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,591

Post#43 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:I don't *really* care about awards shows, but uncut gems not getting any oscar noms is pretty weak.

It is weak but the point of the Oscars isn’t to celebrate the best movies, it’s to generate controversy and conversations. If they just picked the “right” movies every year it would be incredibly boring and no one would tune in. I think they deliberately make awful choices so they stay in the limelight.

This might sound like a conspiracy but when I look at Joker getting 11 nominations it’s fairly clear to me what the Academy’s goals are.

Heh, I guess that's why I don't really care. You go back to someone like scorsese taking forever just to win one and you're like, "really?" I suppose the weak part is it would've been nice for them to get "official" recognition. That said, they've gotten plenty from other outlets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncut_Gems#Accolades
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,814

Post#44 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:45 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:

People tune into the oscars because people think it's the most important awards - why would people tune into see awards getting snubbed from nominations? that's something that is read not viewed.

the reason why the oscars have bad selections is because the voting process is bad. simple as that. the academy awards are ran by the academy which consist of people who have been nominated for awards in the past - so people just vote for their friends, and it's almost entirely hollywood centric (hence why kobe bryant has an oscar).
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,576

Post#45 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 am

Sandler had bad luck that Best Actor was a brutal category this year, you had 4 guys that probably could’ve won in an average year (Phoenix, Driver, DiCaprio, Pryce - yes Pryce, they love giving Oscars to real life roles like playing Pope Francis, see Renee Zellweger’s upcoming Oscar for a movie nobody will care about in 5 years) and then last spot went to Banderas who apparently gave career best performance and is one of the classiest actors it seems like so they wanted to nominate him for the first time. The 2nd team All NBA lineup of Sandler - Uncut Gems, De Niro - Irishman, Bale - Ford vs Ferrari, Egerton - Rocketman, Murphy - Dolemite is My Name seems like a normal nomination year. Also like Jennifer Lopez who was the most shocking snub, he may have suffered from stigma of making too many bad movies in the past. You can say that this is all sign of the Oscars biases but I would still take them over an award show like the Grammys any day
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,838

Post#46 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:53 pm

I never understand people getting so upset over awards that are clearly subjective.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,195

Post#47 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I never understand people getting so upset over awards that are clearly subjective.

What are objective awards outside of Medals in the olympics/events?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Texas Chuck

Post#48 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:11 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I never understand people getting so upset over awards that are clearly subjective.

any that match what I think. Duh. :roll:

But yes that was somewhat redundant of me....

I mean if Forrest Gump can win over the GOAT--The Shawshank Redemption (and Pulp Fiction btw) it's clear that my take on movies can vary quite differently from the Academy. And it's their deal not mine so I don't recall care who got the hardware.

Just like Rose winning MVP will never change that Lebron was the best player that year. Or Duncan having no DPOY doesn't change the fact that he was the best defensive player of a generation.

Lots of actors give great performances every year, but we all know the types of performances that are recognized by the academy and those that aren't. Great comedic performances essentially never get their due despite most actors admitting that comedy is far harder to do right than drama. You will never convince me that Steve Martin shouldn't have an Oscar for Planes,Trains. That performance was brilliant. But it's not considered "serious acting". Meanwhile Daniel Day Lewis can do some brooding performance in movies that are borderline unwatchable and people can't stop praising it.

It is what is. And actually reading this sounds like I'm mad too. So ignore this hypocrite lol.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#49 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

any that match what I think. Duh. :roll:

But yes that was somewhat redundant of me....

I mean if Forrest Gump can win over the GOAT--The Shawshank Redemption (and Pulp Fiction btw) it's clear that my take on movies can vary quite differently from the Academy. And it's their deal not mine so I don't recall care who got the hardware.

The Shawshank Redemption is so good. I remember reading it in class and my mother recommended the Movie as well. Normally [as we all know] movies don't stack up to movies but my god if I have ever read a good book and the movie was even better again I would be shocked. Now I suppose LOTR could potentially qualify as well but I enjoyed those books so much!

Just like Rose winning MVP will never change that Lebron was the best player that year. Or Duncan having no DPOY doesn't change the fact that he was the best defensive player of a generation.

Yup! That Rose MVP is the ultimate "Narrative over substance" award in professional sports for me.

Lots of actors give great performances every year, but we all know the types of performances that are recognized by the academy and those that aren't. Great comedic performances essentially never get their due despite most actors admitting that comedy is far harder to do right than drama. You will never convince me that Steve Martin shouldn't have an Oscar for Planes,Trains. That performance was brilliant. But it's not considered "serious acting". Meanwhile Daniel Day Lewis can do some brooding performance in movies that are borderline unwatchable and people can't stop praising it.

Underrated aspect of actors [and analyzing them] is differentiating the roles. It is very similar to Scoring in Basketball [A Drama] while a a play making hub [comedy] is more difficult.

It is what is. And actually reading this sounds like I'm mad too. So ignore this hypocrite lol.

We have a right to be mad, especially you when I am mean to you :lol: :box: :party:

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Texas Chuck

Post#50 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:26 pm

Colbinii wrote:We have a right to be mad, especially you when I am mean to you :lol: :box: :party:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was hoping we could just forget that ever happened. I might have reacted a wee bit quickly there and hence overreacted.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#51 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Colbinii wrote:We have a right to be mad, especially you when I am mean to you :lol: :box: :party:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was hoping we could just forget that ever happened. I might have reacted a wee bit quickly there and hence overreacted.

In most cases it is better to address the claim [even in a light and playful manner] rather than the "forget and forgive" approach.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#52 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:18 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

People tune into the oscars because people think it's the most important awards - why would people tune into see awards getting snubbed from nominations? that's something that is read not viewed.

the reason why the oscars have bad selections is because the voting process is bad. simple as that. the academy awards are ran by the academy which consist of people who have been nominated for awards in the past - so people just vote for their friends, and it's almost entirely hollywood centric (hence why kobe bryant has an oscar).

That still doesn’t answer why people would tune into the Oscars over whatever is in their Netflix queue. Just because it’s the best award show doesn’t mean awards shows are a viable piece of entertainment.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but if they want to maintain their status as the “most important awards show” they should revamp their completely broken voting system. They don’t, which IMO is partly because the insane outputs of that voting system drives clicks and views. Hate-watching is a thing, and every podcast and media outlet is still obsessed with the Oscars IMO precisely because of how unpredictable and often times irritating it is.

The clearest example this year is Joker. It’s a totally mediocre movie but because there was so much fervor about it online and in the media and it made a Billion dollars there’s no way it couldn’t be all over the Oscars. The controversy will drive people to watch. And I don’t think Todd Phillips is a ton of friends in the academy and I know Joaquin certainly doesn’t given how much contempt he has shown for them over the years.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#53 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:52 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:That still doesn’t answer why people would tune into the Oscars over whatever is in their Netflix queue. Just because it’s the best award show doesn’t mean awards shows are a viable piece of entertainment.
Because it's seen as an important event. It's live content and it's on network television, so people will watch.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but if they want to maintain their status as the “most important awards show” they should revamp their completely broken voting system. They don’t, which IMO is partly because the insane outputs of that voting system drives clicks and views. Hate-watching is a thing, and every podcast and media outlet is still obsessed with the Oscars IMO precisely because of how unpredictable and often times irritating it is.
The Oscars has been this way for a 100 years, they do not need to change anything to maintain their status. Most people don't know any better than to take the Oscar's word for it.

The clearest example this year is Joker. It’s a totally mediocre movie but because there was so much fervor about it online and in the media and it made a Billion dollars there’s no way it couldn’t be all over the Oscars. The controversy will drive people to watch. And I don’t think Todd Phillips is a ton of friends in the academy and I know Joaquin certainly doesn’t given how much contempt he has shown for them over the years.

The Joker is one of the highest selling rated R movies of all time and it won the Venice Film Festival's highest honor. It is a movie designed for the masses and the masses like the Joker. Most people who are watching the Oscars think the Joker is a good movie, not a bad one. The Joker getting a lot of nominations is not all that surprising to me. It's hardly the only mediocre movie with nominations this year or any other given year - most of the best picture wins of the last 15 years are mediocre movies, much less the nominees.

Joaquin Phoenix is highly respected within Hollywood. The Academy isn't a real organization like the NBA. The people who nominated Phoenix are other actors, and every actor in Hollywood respects Phoenix, regardless if Phoenix thinks the Oscars suck. And Phoenix had a great performance in Joker, why would he not be nominated?

The Joker getting nominated for a lot of junk is not all that surprising. Especially with Black Panther getting a best picture nomination last year. The guys who vote for these movies are the same guys who are now working in comic book oriented content.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#54 » by limbo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:57 am

Okay, first order of business for today.

Was the McGregor v. Cowboy fight rigged?
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,363

Post#55 » by GSP » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:17 am

limbo wrote:Okay, first order of business for today.

**** no :lol: :lol: :lol:

Conor is absolute terror of a matchup for Cowboy. Cowboy sucks dealing with pressure specially from southpaws. Conor is one of if not the fastest starters ever in Mma. He does his best work in the 1st 2 rounds (mostly 1st. Damn near all his knockouts are from there

Conor early TKO was what all the smart ppl were betting. And Cowboy was coming off 2 knockout losses including a brutal one against Gaethje and hes at the end of the road of his career too

This reminds of me of the ppl who thought Floyd VS Tenshin was fixed with how easily Floyd beat the **** out of him. Obviously Cowboy is a legit fighter (and Tenshin isnt a boxer while being drastically undersized) but thats just the difference b/w them at this point. Altho Conor early TKO is the likely outcome 95% of the time they even fight in their careers
limbo
Veteran

Post#56 » by limbo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 am

GSP wrote:
limbo wrote:Okay, first order of business for today.

**** no :lol: :lol: :lol:

Conor is absolute terror of a matchup for Cowboy. Cowboy sucks dealing with pressure specially from southpaws. Conor is one of if not the fastest starters ever in Mma. He does his best work in the 1st 2 rounds (mostly 1st. Damn near all his knockouts are from there

Conor early TKO was what all the smart ppl were betting. And Cowboy was coming off 2 knockout losses including a brutal one against Gaethje and hes at the end of the road of his career too

This reminds of me of the ppl who thought Floyd VS Tenshin was fixed with how easily Floyd beat the **** out of him. Obviously Cowboy is a legit fighter (and Tenshin isnt a boxer while being drastically undersized) but thats just the difference b/w them at this point. Altho Conor early TKO is the likely outcome 95% of the time they even fight in their careers

Here's the thing. I don't rate Cowboy as a particularly good fighter at this stage of his career. He's 36 years old and 4-6 before this fight. By all accounts, i'd favor McGregor before the start of this match.

That said, the way Cowboy, as a veteran fighter with over 50 professional fights, put absolutely zero resistance in this fight rubs me the wrong way. The dude threw 1 kick in the whole entire match, when it was basically over... Dude was eating those shoulders with absolutely zero interest of defending himself or escaping the clinch... he just stood there taking shoulders in his face. He looked like an amateur that is fighting for the first time in his life.

Conor's strategy has always been to try and knockout his opponents in the first two rounds, but i never seen McGregor charge all in at the sound of the bell like dinner is served. Usually he's moving in while keeping distance in his stance and looks for openings or counters. This fight he opened up like he knew he wasn't going to get hit back, so he just went wailing away.

The only possible way this fight wasn't rigged is if that initial knee Cowboy took from Conor at the very start of the fight completely destroyed his nose/eye to the point it took away all his stamina and will in 3 seconds... Seriously, the way he was taking those shoulders without resistance is what you'd expect at the end of round 4... not in the first 5 seconds of a match. He looked like he was getting hit in the face for the first time in his life.

And finally, since the announcement of this fight, there was simply no incentive for Cowboy to win and every incentive for Conor to win. We don't have to dance around the fact that Conor accounts for more than half of UFC's popularity and earnings. He's the one pushing the business into overdrive. This was the start of Conor's comeback and he had to win, no questions asked. The problem is most top/respectable MMA fighters wouldn't be up for sacrificing their careers and stature in order to welcome Conor back to the scene. Enter Cowboy, the guy was perfect to collect a fat pre-retirement check. Now like i said, even if this was a title fight, i'd put my money on McGregor, because i believe he's the better fighter, but i don't think he's so much better to the point Cowboy can't even throw a punch or defend himself... And what was with all the ass-kissing in the pre-game conference and interviews? Seems like the plot was understood by both. Cowboy literally praised Conor more than Conor himself... No way was he prepared to fight seriously with that type of mindset. He was at peace with being a stepping stone for Conor to generate some hype/momentum back for when he has to fight with actual title contenders.

And please don't tell me ''Aldo got knocked out even sooner''. Because that scenario was entirely different. Aldo was aggressively trying to open against Conor and he caught a punch to the face while his momentum was carrying him forward and he got slept. Cowboy just stood there like a practice dummy with no effort to fight back. If he's indeed that weak of a fighter as a veteran with over 35 wins in the octagon, then the UFC should be giving him fights against amateurs or he needs to retire.
limbo
Veteran

Post#57 » by limbo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:16 pm

Also, one of the most underrated aspects of this whole debacle was Conor needing to come out of this fight UNSCATHED. And ironically, that's exactly what happened, to the absolute best possible way. He didn't even break a sweat much less take any damage...

If you have a serious fight on your hands you don't go out there talking about activity and how you can't wait to fight all these different divisions and fighters this year. Because as far as you know, you might take serious damage in the upcoming fight and then you have to be sidelined possible for 6-9 months... Masvidal said he wants to fight Conor as soon as possible and McGregor said he's up for it in March/April if he's healthy enough. Surprise, surprise. Not only is he healthy, dude doesn't even need to recuperate. He can fight Masvidal next month if he wanted to because tonight was a joke.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,363

Post#58 » by GSP » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Plenty of fighters have gotten blown out with even 0 strikes thrown while getting finished with no offense. And the opening knee clearly did damage to Cowboy, and Conor uses that often for anticipating double leg entries which is one of the few times Donald looks for takedowns and he did look for it and got hit. He narrowly got Khabib with it too but Khabib is just on another level

As for Cowboy not defending the shoulder strikes it's not like his other had was free. In the clinch Conor had it trapped and went for a shoulder crank to yank the socket, breaking his posture and he's one of the most explosive athletes in Mma. Cowboy actually moved away a bit from the 3rd attempt but he was clearly stunned from the knee, the first 2 and then the 4th one really busted his nose. It was masterful clinching by Conor. We rarely see clinch work on that level in this sport but we've seen it with the shoulder strikes and all it's not easy to defend when a man is dazed and having his posture broken and stance prioritized while having his free arm yanked on the opposite side. Similar situations altho not as devastating with shoulder strikes happened with Anderson/Bonnar, Bones/Glover, Matt Brown/Erick Silva etc. Basically most elite clinchers. Cowboy has a Dutch style Thai game and was never great on the inside even Robbie tried a similar gameplan on him early

Conor also went back to his old boxing coach recently for this camp and integrated him with the Sbg. Back in the Irish circuit he had some blitzes and early KOs as well when he through himself into the fire, did it against Brimage too and ate some counters for it. Cowboy is a rhythm striker too and barely a threat in the opening stanza of a fight it was the clear blueprint to beat him for years and basically anytime Cowboy has been hurt in his career he folds not long after

As for where Cowboy is now he's clearly washed up and that was obvious when Gaethje crumpled him in a couple minutes. He'll still beat most fighters but he's not even the gatekeeper for the truly elite championship level top 5 guys anymore
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#59 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:07 pm

Not rigged at all. Conor is a fast starter, Cerrone is a notoriously slow one - and is past his prime, and was tko'd by Gaethje his last fight. I don't think Donald is as good at WW as he is at LW either, despite being larger than many of his WW opponents.

If the UFC was going to rig a fight they wouldnt pick someone who is on a losing streak and is stylistically a bad match up for McGregor.
limbo
Veteran

Post#60 » by limbo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:04 pm

GSP wrote:Plenty of fighters have gotten blown out with even 0 strikes thrown while getting finished with no offense. And the opening knee clearly did damage to Cowboy, and Conor uses that often for anticipating double leg entries which is one of the few times Donald looks for takedowns and he did look for it and got hit. He narrowly got Khabib with it too but Khabib is just on another level

As for Cowboy not defending the shoulder strikes it's not like his other had was free. In the clinch Conor had it trapped and went for a shoulder crank to yank the socket, breaking his posture and he's one of the most explosive athletes in Mma. Cowboy actually moved away a bit from the 3rd attempt but he was clearly stunned from the knee, the first 2 and then the 4th one really busted his nose. It was masterful clinching by Conor. We rarely see clinch work on that level in this sport but we've seen it with the shoulder strikes and all it's not easy to defend when a man is dazed and having his posture broken and stance prioritized while having his free arm yanked on the opposite side. Similar situations altho not as devastating with shoulder strikes happened with Anderson/Bonnar, Bones/Glover, Matt Brown/Erick Silva etc. Basically most elite clinchers. Cowboy has a Dutch style Thai game and was never great on the inside even Robbie tried a similar gameplan on him early

Conor also went back to his old boxing coach recently for this camp and integrated him with the Sbg. Back in the Irish circuit he had some blitzes and early KOs as well when he through himself into the fire, did it against Brimage too and ate some counters for it. Cowboy is a rhythm striker too and barely a threat in the opening stanza of a fight it was the clear blueprint to beat him for years and basically anytime Cowboy has been hurt in his career he folds not long after

As for where Cowboy is now he's clearly washed up and that was obvious when Gaethje crumpled him in a couple minutes. He'll still beat most fighters but he's not even the gatekeeper for the truly elite championship level top 5 guys anymore

To me it looked like Cerrone had no fight in him. If you have any intention of competing, you don't just capitulate after the first hit you take. The opening knee probably did damage but since he wasn't knocked off balance or anything he should be able to fight back or at least evade the onslaught by Conor to an extent. What he did was just stand there and let Conor get the clinch on him. Once in a clinch, he didn't do anything. Conor hit him with a shoulder and his natural reaction was to rest his head into Conor's shoulder and not even attempt to break lose of the clinch? Nah, dude... i'm not buying it. No way he was that bamboozled by a knee hit that didn't even knock him off balance, to the point that he was incapacitated for 10 seconds straight resting his head on Conor. Also, isn't Cerrone like 6 foot 1? Do you know how difficult it is for a smaller guy to get consecutive hits perfectly with his shoulder to the face of a taller guy? Cowboy was literally resting his head on McGregor and McGregor still needed to jump a couple of times for his shoulder to reach Cowboy's face... Even if we believe that a veteran with over 50 professional fights in the cage is completely inept of escaping a clinch in the first 10 seconds of a fight... it's not that hard for a 6-1 foot guy to move his head away from the shoulder of a midget... He might have been surprised by it the first time, but after that, the natural reaction would be just to move his head back... Dude was standing there like a mannequin. Check both of Cowboy's hands. His right hand was clinched - he didn't even attempt to resist. His left hand was supposedly 'locked' under McGregor's arm, but if you watch the reply, there's plenty of opportunities for Cerrone to pull that left arm out of there, or at least maneuver it into a position for a hold or takedown. JUST DO SOMETHING. HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING. He wasn't moving, his left hand was cuddling Conor's back, his right hand wasn't resisting the clinch and his head which is stationed on a 6-1 frame was leaning into McGregor so that he could get midget shoulders in it consecutively...

I agree that Cowboy is washed and would've lost regardless, but i don't believe he's washed to the point he is incapable of either defending himself after getting pressured while simultaneously not being able to land one single finger on McGregor. I don't believe a dude that has over 50 professional fights doesn't know how to do anything in a clinch where a midget is literally jumping to hi him with his shoulder...

This was a rigged freebie for Conor to build momentum/hype for his comeback. Cerrone was the perfect candidate to execute this because he's washed and plans to retire anyway. He takes a beating and sails into the sunset, just make sure Conor can fight again in 3 months if need be. Like i said, McGregor is more than half of UFC's popularity/revenue. Only an extremely naive person would think Dana White has no intention to maximize the McGregor brand for the betterment of his business, which the goal is to take over the fighting world as soon as possible. It was an inevitability that McGregor is going to fight for titles again, and there's no time or skin to waste this on bums like Cerrone. But the public needs to see that McGregor 'still has it' so here we are.

Return to Player Comparisons