Evan Mobley - the next great NBA big man?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,573

Re: Evan Mobley - the next great NBA big man? 

Post#21 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 1, 2023 3:46 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:He anchored the top defense in the league. I think people are stressing a bit on his scoring, his scoring was never supposed to be anything that special.

Can still be a great big man even if he's not Chet/Wembley tier (who is?). I wouldn't say Alounzo Mourning or Dikembe Mutumbo were not great big men just because their careers overlapped with David Robinson and O'Neal.

The Mobley at PF experiment isn't working out all that well, but I'm not too worried about Evan ultimately being an exceptionally good player. One of two things must happen. He either must improve his offense (particularly his shooting), or he has to move to center full time. I figure Cleveland will try out Mobley at PF for one more year and see if the offense comes around (and to buy him more time to continue to fill out). If it doesn't, they'll look to trade Allen and just go with Mobley at center.

Mobley is going to be fine.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,392

Post#22 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Dec 1, 2023 6:58 pm

Eagle4 wrote:People were clamoring for Mobley like was going to be the next Duncan when in reality there's no guarantee he turns out better than current Bam Adebayo. As usual people need to pump the brakes with young prospects.

See, you say that but every single time for the last 40 years that I recall a rookie coming in who possesses very rare combinations of length, athleticism, foot speed with some skill they get hype. That's just the way this works. Some become top 10 players, some become busts but the entire media relies on hyping up new players almost every year. Same as they did with Chet who then got injured and people were already writing off as being too fragile and a bust but now people are like 'holy crap, he's gonna be an mvp caliber player' all within the space of a few months. Mobley has some very proven pluses at this point which make him valuable and still have a high ceiling.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,672

Post#23 » by tsherkin » Fri Dec 1, 2023 9:07 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote: See, you say that but every single time for the last 40 years that I recall a rookie coming in who possesses very rare combinations of length, athleticism, foot speed with some skill they get hype.

I believe that's his point, though, that people should slow down. Because that excitement often ends up turning to bitterness when players don't live up to what is often unreasonable assessment of their potential.

That's just the way this works. Some become top 10 players, some become busts but the entire media relies on hyping up new players almost every year.

Sure, because their profession is mostly useless and all about generating buzz. The media should largely be ignored: it is literally their job to make something from nothing/anything in an attempt to make us care. Neither integrity nor accuracy are their stock in trade.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,321

Post#24 » by GSP » Sat May 4, 2024 1:49 am

Spoiler:

If you are going to post, please make sure to have content. Use your words.

penbeast0

Return to Player Comparisons