Kevin Durant-Nets/Suns- 22-23 Thread- any last thoughts on Bradley Beal?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Re: Kevin Durant traded to the Phoenix Suns- 22-23 Thread - Here we go again 

Post#61 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:37 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:There's something really wrong with the league when superstars can force their way out of the contracts they got themselves into so they can get on another stacked team after the previous stacked team that they engineered together failed. Honestly making me lose interest in the sport as a lifelong fan.

Kd didn't force his way out of anything. The nets could have kept him, they just decided it wasn't worthwhile. I don't really get why people complain about players "forcing their way out of contracts" when they do things they are contractually allowed to do

KD absolutely forced his way out. He demanded a trade with several years left on his contract last summer and the Nets had that hanging over their heads all season.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#62 » by parsnips33 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:41 pm

I wonder why we never talk about a GM "forcing" a players way out of a contract. Like seriously, how dare the Suns GM force Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson out of their contracts - contracts that the GM knowingly and willingly signed?
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#63 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:16 pm

parsnips33 wrote:I wonder why we never talk about a GM "forcing" a players way out of a contract.

Because a GM's job is to acquire players and put a roster together, while a player's job is to play the games.

If a GM showed up on game day in a full uniform and demanded to play point guard from now on, people would look at them funny, just like they do when a player tries to dictate roster moves.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#64 » by parsnips33 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:24 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:I wonder why we never talk about a GM "forcing" a players way out of a contract.

Because a GM's job is to acquire players and put a roster together, while a player's job is to play the games.

If a GM showed up on game day in a full uniform and demanded to play point guard from now on, people would look at them funny, just like they do when a player tries to dictate roster moves.

It's not anybody's "job" to ask their boss for a raise either, but we wouldn't treat is as some great moral failing if somebody did
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,015

Post#65 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:39 am

falcolombardi wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
"If everywhere you go smells like ****, maybe it's time to check your own shoes."

Kyrie is one of the few players I genuinely dislike who arrived on the scene during my adulthood.

He is just a uniquely selfish, unprofessional human being.

Are you glad nets experiment failed as catastrophically as it did? I remember you had a special dislike to them

I want to preface my remarks by saying this has nothing to do with me being a Knicks fan. My disdain for them really ratched up when Kyrie went full moron and Durant sided with him. Once KD sided with him my disdain for them just became immense. Add to that Simmons and you have a uniquely loathsome team. And their failure is a good thing.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,015

Post#66 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:42 am

parsnips33 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

It's not anybody's "job" to ask their boss for a raise either, but we wouldn't treat is as some great moral failing if somebody did

I have no problem with trade demands in the abstract. Often times they are justified. You need to evaluate them on a case by case basis.

KD has heavy culpability for why things went so poorly in Brooklyn. This wasn't KG in Minnesota where a star worked hard and mgmt., had no clue. So in this case I'll boo him
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,799

Post#67 » by Peregrine01 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:50 pm

parsnips33 wrote:I wonder why we never talk about a GM "forcing" a players way out of a contract. Like seriously, how dare the Suns GM force Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson out of their contracts - contracts that the GM knowingly and willingly signed?

It’s a gm’s job to make trades. And they are not forcing anyone out of a contract. The player just gets traded with their existing contract.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,937

Post#68 » by OhayoKD » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:09 am

MartinToVaught wrote:

i have no idea what you're talking about. Players don't dictate roster moves. What you're actually saying is dumb is players voicing their opinion as pretty much any employee can do. It just so happens that the best players are more valuable than the owners so the owners respond accordingly.

Not sure why people are trying to make this out to be some sob story for the billionares. It doesn't matter what language you use here("demand, dictate"), the owners are making the decisions, and there is an agreed upon series of consequences if the players were to do something they shouldn't. KD filed a trade request. The owner accepted it. They have nothing to complain about.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,420

Post#70 » by Statlanta » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:44 pm

The core already made the Finals without him he's going to have to do some hard carrying to even convince me he deserves to be a top 20 player
Read on Twitter
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,496

Post#71 » by Jaivl » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:56 pm

2023 Paul is miles behind 2021 Paul. I don't think Durant has an unfair cast, just a very strong one, like many other players before.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,176

Post#72 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:51 pm

Statlanta wrote:The core already made the Finals without him he's going to have to do some hard carrying to even convince me he deserves to be a top 20 player

Here is some convincing:

CP3 in 2021: 16.4/4.5/8.9 on 50/40/93 shooting splits, 3.5 OBPM, 60 TS%
CP3 in 2023: 13.7/4.2/9.1 on 43/37/83 shooting splits, 1.8 OBPM, 55 TS%

There is no Mikal Bridges [The player who led the 2021 Suns in Minutes] on the team.
There is no Jae Crowder [The player who finished 5th in Minutes for the 2021 Suns].
There is no Cameron Johnson [The player who finished 6th in Minutes for the 2021 Suns].

The 2021 Phoenix Suns were incredibly lucky. To state "A team that made the finals" is a bit weak when you realize...
Round 1: Lakers without AD for most of the series and injured in his minutes
Round 2: Nuggets without Jamal Murray for the entire series
Round 3: Clippers without Kawhi Leonard for the entire series

But hey, let's just be irrational.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#73 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:22 pm

KD's constant team-hopping will never be a good look for him, but at least it's not Warriors-level unfair. The truth is, if KD has another playoff meltdown like he did last year, there isn't anyone else on the Suns I'd 100% trust to step up and keep them afloat. The same couldn't be said about the Warriors, where their other stars did step up against the Rockets in 2018 while Durant was trying way too hard to play iso-heroball with questionable results.
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,359

Post#74 » by TroubleS0me » Sat Apr 8, 2023 10:15 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:KD's constant team-hopping will never be a good look for him, but at least it's not Warriors-level unfair. The truth is, if KD has another playoff meltdown like he did last year, there isn't anyone else on the Suns I'd 100% trust to step up and keep them afloat. The same couldn't be said about the Warriors, where their other stars did step up against the Rockets in 2018 while Durant was trying way too hard to play iso-heroball with questionable results.

He said he doesnt care about legacy
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,559

Post#75 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sat Apr 8, 2023 10:53 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:KD's constant team-hopping will never be a good look for him, but at least it's not Warriors-level unfair. The truth is, if KD has another playoff meltdown like he did last year, there isn't anyone else on the Suns I'd 100% trust to step up and keep them afloat. The same couldn't be said about the Warriors, where their other stars did step up against the Rockets in 2018 while Durant was trying way too hard to play iso-heroball with questionable results.

He said he doesnt care about legacy

I don't believe him when he says that.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,442

Post#76 » by Lost92Bricks » Sat Apr 8, 2023 11:16 pm

Durant had 34/5/5 with 3 blocks on 11-21 shooting in game 7 of the WCF. Please stop it.

Then he went on to completely dominate the finals.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,392

Post#77 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Apr 8, 2023 11:50 pm

TheGOATRises007 wrote:

I think he does but probably not to the degree he did from 2016-2022 when he felt the need to go to GS to make sure he retired with one and then went burner mode on twitter for a few years. Hopefully he's at peace with what he's accomplished now and not going to worry that much about any criticism he gets.
TroubleS0me
General Manager

Post#78 » by TroubleS0me » Sun Apr 9, 2023 1:39 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:

I think he does but probably not to the degree he did from 2016-2022 when he felt the need to go to GS to make sure he retired with one and then went burner mode on twitter for a few years. Hopefully he's at peace with what he's accomplished now and not going to worry that much about any criticism he gets.

this
TroubleS0me
General Manager

Re: Kevin Durant & Kyrie Irving- 22-23 Thread 

Post#79 » by TroubleS0me » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:39 am

LesGrossman wrote:the defense looks unorganized but engaged, compared to the lakers. There is a lot of talent on this team, too. I believe they can become a contender with small changes. Trading Kyrie would be a blessing and as much as i am a fan of him and his legacy, i think Steve Nash is overwhelmed with this first coaching job.

Also, Ben is starting to look like the real deal on defense. They dont even need him to score a lot, there is so much shooting on this team that a real playmaker may be exactly the right thing for them. One of the most interseting teams to follow this season imho.

Is it a blessing now?
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Re: Kevin Durant traded to the Phoenix Suns- 22-23 Thread 

Post#80 » by ardee » Mon May 1, 2023 8:29 am

His post GS career is really shaping up to be a comedy of bad luck and bad decisions.

If he had given the Nets the ok to trade Kyrie and keep Harden instead last year he'd be looking like a title favorite right now.

Return to Player Comparisons