Kevin Durant-Nets/Suns- 22-23 Thread- any last thoughts on Bradley Beal?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,310

Re: Kevin Durant traded to the Phoenix Suns- 22-23 Thread - Here we go again 

Post#41 » by GSP » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:03 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
AEnigma wrote:In a season with no favourites, now the league has one.

That said, odd to me that the Nets did not push for Ayton. I guess they can have a fire-sale this offseason? All these roleplayers sitting around with no one to support (apologies to Cam Thomas).

Claxton is probably going to have a better career than Ayton imo. I'd make an Ayton trade by tomorrow if I was Phoenix for more depth.

Ayton is redundant with Claxton neither can shoot for ****. Why would Phoenix trade Ayton tho? Do they even have any other bigs? Dario Saric.....? Yeah thats not gonna work. Theyre not getting a center back anywhere close to Ayton they cant afford to give him up
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#42 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:10 am

GSP wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

That said, odd to me that the Nets did not push for Ayton. I guess they can have a fire-sale this offseason? All these roleplayers sitting around with no one to support (apologies to Cam Thomas).

Claxton is probably going to have a better career than Ayton imo. I'd make an Ayton trade by tomorrow if I was Phoenix for more depth.

Ayton is redundant with Claxton neither can shoot for ****. Why would Phoenix trade Ayton tho? Do they even have any other bigs? Dario Saric.....? Yeah thats not gonna work. Theyre not getting a center back anywhere close to Ayton they cant afford to give him up

I saw a Collins/Capela for Ayton suggestion and liked it a lot, maybe not the most modern frontcourt but it gives them two bodies and Capela wins the Luol Deng award for always being younger than I thought.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,780

Post#43 » by Peregrine01 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:35 am

There's something really wrong with the league when superstars can force their way out of the contracts they got themselves into so they can get on another stacked team after the previous stacked team that they engineered together failed. Honestly making me lose interest in the sport as a lifelong fan.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,268

Post#44 » by McBubbles » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:09 am

Peregrine01 wrote:There's something really wrong with the league when superstars can force their way out of the contracts they got themselves into so they can get on another stacked team after the previous stacked team that they engineered together failed. Honestly making me lose interest in the sport as a lifelong fan.

I said before that the situation went from Player Empowerment to Owner Exploitation pretty quickly :lol:

Granted, I'm not sure I'd agree with you on the specifics on this KD situation specifically, but it is pretty weird how you can give someone a 5 year supermax just so they can sit out, tank their trade value and request a trade. I'm all for labour power but I'm not sure how I feel about that fundamentally.

Edit - Just found out that KD specifically requested a trade to the Sun's, you were correct. Gyad damn. Queue KD not understanding why he gets no props for taking a 60+ win recent NBA Finalist to a title lol.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,935

Post#45 » by OhayoKD » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:14 am

Peregrine01 wrote:There's something really wrong with the league when superstars can force their way out of the contracts they got themselves into so they can get on another stacked team after the previous stacked team that they engineered together failed. Honestly making me lose interest in the sport as a lifelong fan.

Kd didn't force his way out of anything. The nets could have kept him, they just decided it wasn't worthwhile. I don't really get why people complain about players "forcing their way out of contracts" when they do things they are contractually allowed to do
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,780

Post#46 » by Peregrine01 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:17 am

OhayoKD wrote:

Kd didn't force his way out of anything. The nets could have kept him, they just decided it wasn't worthwhile. I don't really get why people complain about players "forcing their way out of contracts" when they do things they are contractually allowed to do

He tried to force himself out early on in the season before any games were even played. And the second Kyrie got traded, the wheels started turning again. Let's be real, if KD was on board after Kyrie left, there was no way he was getting traded.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by OhayoKD » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:18 am

Peregrine01 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

He tried to force himself out early on in the season before any games were even played. And the second Kyrie got traded, the wheels started turning again. Let's be real, if KD was on board after Kyrie left, there was no way he was getting traded.

Yeah, by requesting a trade. As he is contractually permitted to do.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,101

Post#48 » by rk2023 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:24 am

I don’t buy the Suns sure-fire contender hype at the moment (but could change my view). It’s too reactionary,
they are solid on paper but it’s a depth and wings’ league. Not the greatest wing depth or defense now, and their three stars don’t pressure the rim.
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,101

Post#49 » by rk2023 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 8:29 am

McBubbles wrote:

I said before that the situation went from Player Empowerment to Owner Exploitation pretty quickly :lol:

Granted, I'm not sure I'd agree with you on the specifics on this KD situation specifically, but it is pretty weird how you can give someone a 5 year supermax just so they can sit out, tank their trade value and request a trade. I'm all for labour power but I'm not sure how I feel about that fundamentally.

After reinforcing the roster and trading Westbrook, I am glad there’s more a hope of James and Davis playing out their contract(s) here rather than going through the show that is NBA trade speculation.
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
ShaqAttac
Rookie
And1: 342

Post#50 » by ShaqAttac » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:52 am

boi is soft
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,194

Post#51 » by donnieme » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:58 am

rk2023 wrote:

I don’t buy the Suns sure-fire contender hype at the moment (but could change my view). It’s too reactionary,
they are solid on paper but it’s a depth and wings’ league. Not the greatest wing depth or defense now, and their three stars don’t pressure the rim.

Think they have enough depth and two way play their starting lineup. Injuries are the only concern and they are no less durable than anyone else with the talent to match.
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,357

Post#52 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:21 pm

“I’m just glad he got out of there,” Irving said. “I’m just praying for his happiness and praying for his well-being. We’ve had a lot of conversations throughout the year of what our future was going to look like. There was still a level of uncertainty. But we just cared about seeing each other be at places where we can thrive. Whether that can be together or whether that can be apart, there has never been one moment where I felt like he’s been angry at me for the decisions I’ve made or I’ve been angry at him. We’ve just tried to understand each other a lot and grow as human beings and grow as brothers.”

Read on Twitter
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,171

Post#53 » by Colbinii » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:22 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1623572294781239296

"If everywhere you go smells like ****, maybe it's time to check your own shoes."
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by OhayoKD » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:35 pm

The more I think about this, the dumber it seems. Why did we trade Durant for a 26 year old non-star and picks.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,268

Post#56 » by McBubbles » Thu Feb 9, 2023 5:43 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:

Of course this nyukka is wearing a cross stitched peace symbol bucket hat and beads. Why do all crystal mommies dress the same.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,023

Post#57 » by Owly » Thu Feb 9, 2023 6:24 pm

OhayoKD wrote:The more I think about this, the dumber it seems. Why did we trade Durant for a 26 year old non-star and picks.

Very first glance thoughts
1) the probability he wasn't happy (not that this equals an obligation to trade, but is relevant)
2) he's expensive (and tied up as expensive)
3) He's in his age 34 season
4) He's missed a very significant amount of time since 2019 (and a pretty significant chunk since 2014)
5) the franchise maybe didn't believe greatly in the title upside of the present core
6) Bridges may not be an all-star but he's got a career +5.2 on-off. Noisy measure, I don't know what a better impact stat of choice that goes over multiple years is but ... I think there's indication that he's impactful.
7) There are also a couple of other rotation pieces from what has been a somewhat serious contender in the last couple of years. I don't know what the market is for them (and Johnson is young enough that he, like Bridges, could be useful in the medium to long term) but I guess they could be flipped for more value on the new timeline. In a small sample Johnson's production and on-off this year is promising for what that's worth.
8) "picks" as I presently read is 4x unprotected first rounders and a later end (i.e. Paul gone, Durant likely gone etc) pick swap.
9) those later picks are likely to accumulate more value because the team is denied the earlier picks, so will find it harder to rebuild.

I could be wrong (entirely open to that), this isn't zero-sum and as I say this is very first glance ... but that doesn't look like a terrible haul if you can look past the lack of a star name, scorer, all-star in return.

(edit: possible 10: without a great calibrations for the cap and value these days, my sense in that Bridges would be considered underpaid/good value - something the team could benefit from directly or in any return if they flip him)
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,011

Post#58 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:24 pm

Colbinii wrote:

"If everywhere you go smells like ****, maybe it's time to check your own shoes."

Kyrie is one of the few players I genuinely dislike who arrived on the scene during my adulthood.

He is just a uniquely selfish, unprofessional human being.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 6,023

Post#59 » by falcolombardi » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:07 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Kyrie is one of the few players I genuinely dislike who arrived on the scene during my adulthood.

Are you glad nets experiment failed as catastrophically as it did? I remember you had a special dislike to them
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,171

Post#60 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:27 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Are you glad nets experiment failed as catastrophically as it did? I remember you had a special dislike to them

I'll say this--The Warriors from 2017-2019 were the only team I truly wanted to fail and fall on their face. I had no problem with what Brooklyn did as Free Agency is a real thing and trading for James Harden is a fair basketball move, but the Warriors were 100% lucky the league had absolutely no idea how to implement cap smoothing at the time and an error caused by the NBA allowed the Warriors to acquire Durant [and joining an already super-team is different than joining forces with another star via Free Agency or trading for a Star].

Durant joining the Warriors had always left a bad taste in my mouth, but Durant playing in 2021 and his level of play, almost leading a hobbled Nets team over the Super-Bucks with Giannis/Middleton/Holiday, is respectable.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.

Return to Player Comparisons