2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,193

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2581 » by Colbinii » Sun May 5, 2024 7:28 pm

Donovan Mitchell going to Orlando would make for a scary team for years to come.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,103

Post#2582 » by rk2023 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:52 pm

Love seeing Spida do well :D
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,518

Post#2583 » by Ambrose » Sun May 5, 2024 9:49 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
Not trying to be petty here but this is a wildly lower than the (admittedly unfair often) standard best in the world players usually get held to

Having a worse bench and maybe slightly worse starters is usually not accepted as a excuse for the top 1 player losing to the ...top 10? Player in the playoffs no matter what for the past 15 years

Like coming into the plauyoffs nobody argued towns/mcdaniels/ old ass conley were a way better trio than gordon/mpj/kcp and naz reid wouldnt usually be considered a unfair team difference

Hell, with previous top players (and yes i mostly mean lebron if it was not obvious) murray or gordon struggles woukd automatically get put on the top player fault

For all the talk of jokic as a goat tier contender this is a unusually lax standard to demand from him

You're basically saying we should see more people discredit Jokic, the clear #1 player in the world, because past casual fans were stupid? Not a great sell.

If people genuinely still think he's the "clear #1 player in the world" then he deserves more discrediting I think. You can argue it longer if you want to pretend the playoffs didn't happen, but as long as the playoffs mater 2023 is the only season Jokic has had a legitimate claim to that mantle.

Jokic won't surpass LeBron all time. You don't have to be so concerned about him to say things like this.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#2584 » by OhayoKD » Sun May 5, 2024 9:59 pm

Ambrose wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
You're basically saying we should see more people discredit Jokic, the clear #1 player in the world, because past casual fans were stupid? Not a great sell.

If people genuinely still think he's the "clear #1 player in the world" then he deserves more discrediting I think. You can argue it longer if you want to pretend the playoffs didn't happen, but as long as the playoffs mater 2023 is the only season Jokic has had a legitimate claim to that mantle.

Jokic won't surpass LeBron all time. You don't have to be so concerned about him to say things like this.

I would love to see a modern big surpass Lebron all time, or for peak, or for prime. Getting rofl'd harder against a worse warrior team than 2015 Lebron was isn't going to cut it though. Nor would losing in the second round while giving up the highest fg% in the playoffs while you pad your assist average with rondo assists.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,909

Post#2585 » by ronnymac2 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:30 am

I didn't watch an Orlando Magic game all season long - for obvious reasons - but I got to watch them vs. Cleveland a bit. Then I check the season stats.

What a future this team has. Banchero, Wagner, and Suggs all 22 and below. You have to get to Joe Ingles to find a guy over age 30. This was the second-best defense in the league, with much room to improve considering they were only 14th in Opponents' eFG%. To excel in the playoffs, you want that to be your strength. Still, second in defense for a team so young is awesome. Props to their coach.

This free agent class is pretty weak, so if I were them, I'd hold off on the max deals. Mitchell would be okay. Hard NO to Paul George. Injury history, 34, and an ego. Let's see these youngsters develop together. Cleveland isn't some amazing team, but they are a legit good team, so winning 47 and pushing the Cavs to 7 games is something to be proud of.

Keep Ingles (IDK his contract status) and sign some more solid, high-character vets to two-year deals and work to get the SRS up to 3.5 or 4 next season. Then start attracting legit free agents to put them over the top. Very bright future in 3-4 years time.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Post#2586 » by The-Power » Mon May 6, 2024 6:57 am

Great intensity and excitement this game.

Mitchell really carried the offense for longer stretches. It was striking to see that Garland, against this physical and long defense, could not do anything – not just in terms of scoring but also in terms of creating advantages – until the very end. I know he has been reasonably efficient up until last night but that was really concerning to look at. Let's see how he looks against the Celtics who will pose similar problems. Mobley also looked completely lost on offense and could not do anything for most of the game. I had hoped that his offense would be further along by now but it's still very rough. At the same time, that was a defensive masterclass. His rim protection truly anchored that defense. Impressive stuff.

I feel bad for the Magic. They fought hard and were up early, but couldn't sustain the offense. They could do nothing but grab offensive boards in the 2nd half. Banchero showed that he could be a primary option on a great team one day. He certainly has the mindset and his ability to draw fouls is sustainable in the playoffs because he is just truly physical. He needs to improve his awareness, though, and when he doesn't draw fouls his efficiency plummets. Wagner just had a truly bad offensive night in what had been a very good series up until that point. Let's hope he can get over this game quickly. Suggs also struggled. Not only as a scorer but he had some mental lapses, too. Perhaps that's the other side of the coin with someone who has an insane motor and a ton of confidence in himself. Nonetheless, this Magic team has a lot of promise. They just need to add a bit more offense in the backcourt and they can pose a challenge for anyone.

Also, have I mentioned that the way Fultz glides over the court is a joy to watch? Too bad he cannot shoot 3s at all or else he would be a really good player for a playoff team. Still rooting for him and he has made it further than many people expected after he had mysterious injury and the yips. Credit to him and I'm curious to see where he plays next.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#2587 » by parsnips33 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:06 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:That Lebron added Jokic to his rivals list is pretty crazy timeline wise.

I just wish the Bron Fans had the same fire for Jokic they had for Steph :lol:

"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemy will float by"
jalengreen
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,115

Post#2588 » by jalengreen » Mon May 6, 2024 6:42 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:That Lebron added Jokic to his rivals list is pretty crazy timeline wise.

I just wish the Bron Fans had the same fire for Jokic they had for Steph :lol:

"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemy will float by"

All about responding to new narratives. once the "wait, is Jokic better than prime LeBron?" discussions began, this was inevitable unfortunately
ronnymac2
RealGM

Post#2589 » by ronnymac2 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:46 am

NYK offense playing like crap. Two offensive rebounds, and the non-Brunson players shot 40%. Seven assists as well. This will definitely not cut it. Only positive was keeping TOV% down. Good to see Precious out there for some minutes though. Indy runs a ragged pace, so hopefully Thibs lengthens the rotation a bit.

Despite the lackluster offense, Indy FEELS easier than Philly so far...on both ends. Maybe it's the lack of foul drawing, Maxey pull-ups, and nut shots by a 7-foot giant.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,831

Post#2590 » by eminence » Tue May 7, 2024 1:41 am

Interested to see if the Wolves bust out anything interesting without Rudy tonight.

And congratulations to Rudy!
I bought a boat.
jalengreen
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,115

Post#2591 » by jalengreen » Tue May 7, 2024 2:07 am

ronnymac2 wrote:NYK offense playing like crap. Two offensive rebounds, and the non-Brunson players shot 40%. Seven assists as well. This will definitely not cut it. Only positive was keeping TOV% down. Good to see Precious out there for some minutes though. Indy runs a ragged pace, so hopefully Thibs lengthens the rotation a bit.

Despite the lackluster offense, Indy FEELS easier than Philly so far...on both ends. Maybe it's the lack of foul drawing, Maxey pull-ups, and nut shots by a 7-foot giant.

Funny way for the game to end lol
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,981

Post#2592 » by RCM88x » Tue May 7, 2024 2:08 am

Ref ball to the maximum

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
eminence
RealGM

Post#2593 » by eminence » Tue May 7, 2024 2:15 am

KAT's got to avoid fouls in this one
I bought a boat.
eminence
RealGM

Post#2594 » by eminence » Tue May 7, 2024 2:25 am

Uhh, was that not a tech for Malone?
I bought a boat.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,822

Post#2595 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue May 7, 2024 2:34 am

The refereeing in this postseason has been quite an adventure.
eminence
RealGM

Post#2596 » by eminence » Tue May 7, 2024 2:44 am

The Wolves have cranked up the ball pressure, this is very impressive so far.
I bought a boat.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#2597 » by OhayoKD » Tue May 7, 2024 2:47 am

KAT killing the doubters
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#2598 » by OhayoKD » Tue May 7, 2024 2:49 am

Shocking Jokic looks like 2020 (playoff) Jokic when playing against size at the 5 and 4. It's almost like he's basically the same player...
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,044

Post#2599 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 2:59 am

Jokic’s defense is asscheeks. Don’t ever compare him to bron or Jordan again. Nuggets biggest weakness is literally interior defense. I’ve been saying this. You drive and you’re shooting fish in a barrel
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
ronnymac2
RealGM

Post#2600 » by ronnymac2 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:59 am

jalengreen wrote:
ronnymac2 wrote:NYK offense playing like crap. Two offensive rebounds, and the non-Brunson players shot 40%. Seven assists as well. This will definitely not cut it. Only positive was keeping TOV% down. Good to see Precious out there for some minutes though. Indy runs a ragged pace, so hopefully Thibs lengthens the rotation a bit.

Funny way for the game to end lol

Even I have to call BS on that foul call on the Turner screen. Not that I feel bad about it, but objectively...c'mon refs. Donte didn't even sell it THAT hard. :lol:

Return to Player Comparisons