2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,044

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2601 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 3:00 am

OhayoKD wrote:Shocking Jokic looks like 2020 (playoff) Jokic when playing against size at the 5 and 4. It's almost like he's basically the same player...

Jokic works in this era because the amount of small big men. You put Jokic in 90s or 2000s, he isn’t the same player. Idc what any of yall say
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,832

Post#2602 » by eminence » Tue May 7, 2024 3:06 am

Crazy first half from Minnesota.

And uhh... did Murray deserve an ejection/a suspension for that heat pack stunt? I don't know that I've seen that before, bush league stuff.
I bought a boat.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,193

Post#2603 » by Colbinii » Tue May 7, 2024 3:08 am

eminence wrote:Crazy first half from Minnesota.

And uhh... did Murray deserve an ejection/a suspension for that heat pack stunt? I don't know that I've seen that before, bush league stuff.

Throwing stuff on the court while the game is playing is a major penalty. Imagine if someone slipped on it.

Should be a suspension.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,909

Post#2604 » by ronnymac2 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:10 am

I don't get the criticism for Denver's defense or Jokic's defense here. Denver scored 35 points in the half. It's their offense that is the problem and is leading to easy semi-transition buckets on the other end.

Edwards is so electric. Those angled layups off the glass remind me so much of prime D-Wade. Great to see KAT fired up. And those other wings on defense for Minny have been maniacs.

Also, amazing to hear NWO Wolfpac music as TNT went to break at halftime. Kudos to the production team.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
eminence
RealGM

Post#2605 » by eminence » Tue May 7, 2024 3:12 am

ronnymac2 wrote:I don't get the criticism for Denver's defense or Jokic's defense here. Denver scored 35 points in the half. It's their offense that is the problem and is leading to easy semi-transition buckets on the other end.

Edwards is so electric. Those angled layups off the glass remind me so much of prime D-Wade. Great to see KAT fired up. And those other wings on defense for Minny have been maniacs.

Also, amazing to hear NWO Wolfpac music as TNT went to break at halftime. Kudos to the production team.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly inspiring defense from the Nuggets, but the far larger problem was getting eaten up on the other end.
I bought a boat.
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#2606 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 3:20 am

ronnymac2 wrote:I don't get the criticism for Denver's defense or Jokic's defense here. Denver scored 35 points in the half. It's their offense that is the problem and is leading to easy semi-transition buckets on the other end.

You do realize that if lakers knew how to finish games, they would’ve washed the nuggets in like 5 games? Their interior defense is bad. Again, Jokic is not bron or MJ level. Prime bron would’ve washed this nuggets team with ease with the lakers. Nuggets let people run free to the rim
tlee324 wrote:

yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,836

Post#2607 » by yoyoboy » Tue May 7, 2024 3:21 am

I don’t want to downplay what the Wolves are doing. It’s impressive. I even said they would lock up Denver in the series before it started. But I really don’t like how refs have a tendency to let a lot of contact go when it comes to teams/players with reputations of being more physical and tough, whereas other teams and players aren’t afforded the same luxury of being able to put their hands all over guys while playing D. I think Minnesota and NY in particular have benefited from this in these playoffs from what I’ve seen.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#2608 » by OhayoKD » Tue May 7, 2024 3:21 am

bigboi wrote:

You do realize that if lakers knew how to finish games, they would’ve washed the nuggets in like 5 games? Their interior defense is bad. Again, Jokic is not bron or MJ level. Prime bron would’ve washed this nuggets team with ease with the lakers. Nuggets let people run free to the rim

Swap the coaches, Nuggets might have lost.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#2609 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 3:25 am

yoyoboy wrote:I don’t want to downplay what the Wolves are doing. It’s impressive. I even said they would lock up Denver in the series before it started. But I really don’t like how refs have a tendency to let a lot of contact go when it comes to teams/players with reputations of being more physical and tough, whereas other teams and players aren’t afforded the same luxury of being able to put their hands all over guys while playing D. I think Minnesota and NY in particular have benefited from this in these playoffs from what I’ve seen.

That’s funny. Mike Malone yelling at a ref in his face and didn’t get a tech. Jamal Murray throwing a heating pad almost injuring a player, didn’t get ejected. Cut the bs.
tlee324 wrote:

AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,432

Post#2610 » by AEnigma » Tue May 7, 2024 3:27 am

yoyoboy wrote:I don’t want to downplay what the Wolves are doing. It’s impressive. I even said they would lock up Denver in the series before it started. But I really don’t like how refs have a tendency to let a lot of contact go when it comes to teams/players with reputations of being more physical and tough, whereas other teams and players aren’t afforded the same luxury of being able to put their hands all over guys while playing D. I think Minnesota and NY in particular have benefited from this in these playoffs from what I’ve seen.

All Jokic can do is put his hands all over people. :lol: If he were refereed fairly, he would earn his team a net two free throws a game while routinely fouling out.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,654

Post#2611 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 7, 2024 3:28 am

Nikola Jokic: best offensive player ever. Best overall player since Michael Jordan.
eminence
RealGM

Post#2612 » by eminence » Tue May 7, 2024 3:31 am

I see the extracurriculars (Malone/Murray) as a different topic than how physical it is.

But I don't think the Wolves have gotten away with that much on the court. They're just out there playing some of the best team defense I've ever seen.
I bought a boat.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,943

Post#2613 » by Heej » Tue May 7, 2024 3:40 am

EmpireFalls wrote:Nikola Jokic: best offensive player ever. Best overall player since Michael Jordan.

Only weaknesses that he doesn't want to shoot from outside enough and can't consistently create from outside. Right now seems like Darvin Ham gave everyone the script on how to play Jokic: high strong side doubles in the post with a bump over and X-out on the weakside; in PnR Chase Murray over the top and play drop. On the other end just get him in PnR action every possession. Saw some arguments about his ballhandling but it's a valid criticism that holds him back against the all time offensive engines.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,335

Post#2614 » by GSP » Tue May 7, 2024 3:42 am

Are Wolves one of the best defenses ever? This is insane...............Rudy is not even playing this game Wtf
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#2615 » by bigboi » Tue May 7, 2024 3:43 am

Shows how dumb some of these advanced stats are. Had folks on here really saying Jokic a net positive on defense. I’ve been saying for years dude is one of the worst defenders ever for a superstar
tlee324 wrote:

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#2616 » by OhayoKD » Tue May 7, 2024 3:45 am

EmpireFalls wrote:Nikola Jokic: best offensive player ever. Best overall player since Michael Jordan.

The best BBR merchant since Jordan for sure
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#2617 » by OhayoKD » Tue May 7, 2024 3:47 am

Heej wrote:

Only weaknesses that he doesn't want to shoot from outside enough and can't consistently create from outside. Right now seems like Darvin Ham gave everyone the script on how to play Jokic: high strong side doubles in the post with a bump over and X-out on the weakside; in PnR Chase Murray over the top and play drop. On the other end just get him in PnR action every possession. Saw some arguments about his ballhandling but it's a valid criticism that holds him back against the all time offensive engines.

But Jokic produces more with 1.5 less minutes per game holding the ball!!!!
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,335

Post#2618 » by GSP » Tue May 7, 2024 3:50 am

OhayoKD wrote:Shocking Jokic looks like 2020 (playoff) Jokic when playing against size at the 5 and 4. It's almost like he's basically the same player...

Kat and Rudy both played in their series last year and he averaged 26,12,9 on .575ts

Biggest difference is Denver has no depth this year losing Brown and Jeff. They dont have anyone reliable off the bench and anyone paying attention couldve seen that before playoffs started

Murray calf injury and Kcp injury has made both play bad so far too. Murray was a disaster most of La series but just had like 3 great quarters that was enough
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2619 » by AEnigma » Tue May 7, 2024 3:50 am

Wolves are going to be in trouble when the superior regular season sample size takes over.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#2620 » by AEnigma » Tue May 7, 2024 3:56 am

80 points total in a must-win Game 2 at home against a team missing the DPoY.

GOAT offence.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you

Return to Player Comparisons