Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 949

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2761 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 3:43 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
That's cool, but the core 3 are much older.

I may like this one better, but both are A+ tier rebuilding cores.

This team strikes a much better balance between star power and depth than the KD+Russ Thunder

I'm not sure any team in history had a much better balance than OKC. Those clubs were elite.

Even after Harden left the Thunder hit a 9 SRS. The crazy thing is from 2012-17. The only series in which Kawhi was healthy and SAS was outscored was against the 2012 Thunder. In 2016 they played 2 10+ SRS teams back to back and played them to a draw by point differential. I'm convinced if you ran things over 100 times most times they win a title.

This isn't meant as a knock on the current Thunder but the Durant era Thunder have a very credible case as the best core never to win a title.

Only ringless core that is better is Stockton-Malone.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer

Post#2762 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 3:45 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
That's cool, but the core 3 are much older.

I may like this one better, but both are A+ tier rebuilding cores.

This team strikes a much better balance between star power and depth than the KD+Russ Thunder

I'm not sure any team in history had a much better balance than OKC. Those clubs were elite.

Even after Harden left the Thunder hit a 9 SRS. The crazy thing is from 2012-17. The only series in which Kawhi was healthy and SAS was outscored was against the 2012 Thunder. In 2016 they played 2 10+ SRS teams back to back and played them to a draw by point differential. I'm convinced if you ran things over 100 times most times they win a title.

This isn't meant as a knock on the current Thunder but the Durant era Thunder have a very credible case as the best core never to win a title.

Oh those Thunder teams were amazing but this team already has a SRS of *7.3*, is going to make the WCF (probably), and they're the second-youngest team in the league.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,060

Post#2763 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 3:59 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

By decade:
80s Bucks: Unbalanced conferences did not help them. They were a step below Showtime/Celtics but if they had been in the West and Showtime in the East I think they probably get a title.
90s Jazz: Occasionally I get tempted to tout the 90s Sonics but those teams face planted severly in the post-season against some seriously weak teams. I don't like dismissing cores based solely on post-season. Bad luck matters but those clubs dropped off significantly and you have to weight that.
00s Suns: Really bad luck with Donaghy series followed up by a terrible decision with Kerr in 08 getting Shaq.

The worst personnel decision of the decade goes to the 03 Mavs acquiring Walker/Jameson. Those two were the worst possible players to pair with Dirk/Nash. I'm convinced Nelson trashed a 2 title minimum club due to his obsession with small forwards given how high the 03 Mavs peaked with pre-peak Dirk and how high the Suns/post-Dirk Mavs played. Just the worst decision for consequences of any contender this century.

10s Thunder: Agreed. But I will say them moving on from Harden while quite wrong in retrospect was more intelligible than the 03 Mavs decision making.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,195

Post#2764 » by Colbinii » Wed May 8, 2024 4:10 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

By decade:
80s Bucks: Unbalanced conferences did not help them. They were a step below Showtime/Celtics but if they had been in the West and Showtime in the East I think they probably get a title.
90s Jazz: Occasionally I get tempted to tout the 90s Sonics but those teams face planted severly in the post-season against some seriously weak teams. I don't like dismissing cores based solely on post-season. Bad luck matters but those clubs dropped off significantly and you have to weight that.
00s Suns: Really bad luck with Donaghy series followed up by a terrible decision with Kerr in 08 getting Shaq.

The worst personnel decision of the decade goes to the 03 Mavs acquiring Walker/Jameson. Those two were the worst possible players to pair with Dirk/Nash. I'm convinced Nelson trashed a 2 title minimum club due to his obsession with small forwards given how high the 03 Mavs peaked with pre-peak Dirk and how high the Suns/post-Dirk Mavs played. Just the worst decision for consequences of any contender this century.

10s Thunder: Agreed. But I will say them moving on from Harden while quite wrong in retrospect was more intelligible than the 03 Mavs decision making.

Mavericks decision makes was horrible.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer

Post#2765 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 4:12 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

By decade:

80s Bucks are totally forgotten about. I had no idea that they had teams this good between Kareem and Giannis
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2766 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 4:15 pm

Colbinii wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

By decade:

Mavericks decision makes was horrible.

It was bat ****. Your team had the best point differential in the league and the 2nd best record. You were tied 1-1 to the eventual champs before your best player got injured. Your big 2 was 28/24 and both of them were clearly offensive centric. There were only 2 sensible decisions:
1. Roll back the same team and hope for improvements (reasonable).
2. Try to make trades 3-12 to add a little more defensive strength to the roster (also reasonable).

Instead they said let's get an atrocious defensive player whose offensive value isn't needed (jameson) and a guy whose playmaking skills aren't needed (walker). terrible,
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,195

Post#2767 » by Colbinii » Wed May 8, 2024 4:16 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

By decade:

80s Bucks are totally forgotten about. I had no idea that they had teams this good between Kareem and Giannis

Don Nelson was an excellent coach. They essentially had an 8 year run where they ranged from 4 SRS to 8 SRS, with losses to some incredible teams like the early 1980s 76ers and mid 1980s Celtics. The team was also built on its defense, a -4+ defense for those 8 seasons.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer

Post#2768 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 4:18 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

By decade:

For the 2000s I think it might be the first iteration of the LeBron Cavaliers. You had someone playing at a GOAT level, but his supporting casts in 2009+2010 just ghosted him in the post-season
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2769 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 4:20 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

By decade:

Before my time but they were very impressive clubs with some impressive playoff victories. But it seems like they struggled greatly with those great Sixers teams and when they fell off they weren't quite as great as the peak 80s Celtics.

Still an excellent core. As an aside they are a good example of why I'm not a fan of "blow it up." Those teams never won a title and were probably never the best single season team. But they were excellent clubs and gave their fans lots of entertainment. Letting that squad go a decade was reasonable.

Maybe the late 10s rockets are a good parallel but not sure.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2770 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 4:21 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

By decade:

For the 2000s I think it might be the first iteration of the LeBron Cavaliers. You had someone playing at a GOAT level, but his supporting casts in 2009+2010 just ghosted him in the post-season

That supporting cast was so weak that I think your critique of the tens thunder apply. They were just too lop-sided to win a title. And they really only had 2 strong seasons. The 07 team never sniffs a final if conferences are balanced.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer

Post#2771 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 4:30 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
By decade:

Before my time but they were very impressive clubs with some impressive playoff victories. But it seems like they struggled greatly with those great Sixers teams and when they fell off they weren't quite as great as the peak 80s Celtics.

Still an excellent core. As an aside they are a good example of why I'm not a fan of "blow it up." Those teams never won a title and were probably never the best single season team. But they were excellent clubs and gave their fans lots of entertainment. Letting that squad go a decade was reasonable.

I mean its also that if you are consistently a 4+ SRS team then you might catch lightning in a bottle and win a title even if you aren't a particularly great team (like the Jokic era Nuggets!). Also why I think Ainge's decision to blow up the Gobert Jazz was questionable.
CumberlandPosey
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#2772 » by CumberlandPosey » Wed May 8, 2024 4:32 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:Which player improved the most for you this year in comparison to your expectations?

Which player regressed for you most this year compared to your expectations?

Table normal aging curve decline/improvements unless it was unexpected.

Nesmith for me.never expected him to be this kind of player.almost thought he busted on the cs roster.

Harris.i knew he would regress but he became a joke.albeit a rich one for 30 plus per.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,838

Post#2773 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 8, 2024 4:33 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:

Important context -- yes that 03-04 Mavs roster was a mess, but it makes a lot more sense if you look at what was planned. Which was the NVE for Jamison swap. Get a younger, bigger 6th man. And Jamison was great in that role for Dallas, though ultimately he wanted to start and so Dallas accommodated him the next summer.

They didn't say we love Antoine Walker and think he's a better fit than a healthy Rafe. They knew Rafe's knees were nearly done and they had given him like a 6 or 7 year contract and this was an escape hatch. This deal was made literally days before the season started. Dallas never thought they could get off the contract and when it came up they jumped. It was always a one year deal knowing they would flip Walker as an expiring the next summer(back when bad expirings had trade value due to the number of big contracts during that CBA).

And even with Nash leaving, the Mavs went right back to contender status immediately. The plan was sound even if they knew that one year would rough. And even with that, had anyone but Dirk showed up in the playoffs they still would have advanced. But the whole roster played bad. And with that they still had 3 last possession losses where Peja made the game deciding shot.

It's an oversold negative narrative regarding that roster and it ignores Rafe's knees and contract. And we saw sure enough 2 years later he was effectively done with a ton of money and years still on the books.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#2774 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 4:35 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

I mean its also that if you are consistently a 4+ SRS team then you might catch lightning in a bottle and win a title even if you aren't a particularly great team (like the Jokic era Nuggets!)

Yes 94/95 Rockets, 04 Pistons, 2023 Nuggets and controversially 2016 Cavs show if you're 3-4 you have a punchers chance. As a knicks fan I'm enjoying this season immensiley even though I know all these clubs are tough outs for us. And Boston is a GOAT caliber squad. All you need are couple of injuries, some lucky draws and a few guys playing over your head if you're a high 40, low 50s caliber team That can happen. And does.
CKRT
Analyst
And1: 416

Post#2775 » by CKRT » Wed May 8, 2024 5:14 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

By decade:

There were definitely signs that Harden was him as soon as he was drafted. They should have abandoned the whole 'make Russ a PG' thing as soon as they realized what they had, but unfortunately I don't think Russ would have taken very well to it. The FO decision making in the 2012 off season was really tragic...even if you wanted to keep Russ, the amnesty was right there for Perkins and would have allowed them to keep their big 4. I get the impression that people think adding Perkins unlocked a lot for the Thunder but the trade's biggest boon was getting Jeff Green off the team so that Brooks couldn't play him 40 minutes a game while Harden rotted on the bench.
lilojmayo wrote:Juice is not a chucker, like say James Harden
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,788

Post#2776 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Wed May 8, 2024 6:49 pm

Some more great non-title cores that haven't been mentioned...

2002 Kings...enough said. Many would say they should have won it all that year.

1992-95 "Riley" Knicks - those teams are iconic, #2 defense in 92, and then #1 in 93, 94, and 95. Took the Bulls to 7 in 92, tied for the best record in the league in 93 and had a 27-game home winning streak until the Bulls took Game 5 in the ECF, lost the 94 Finals in 7, one possession from winning it all in Game 6.

1993-00 Pacers - I mean those were tough teams for the better part of a decade. Five ECFs and a Finals appearance in seven years. Took the Riley Knicks to 7 in 94, took Shaq and Penny to 7 in 95, took the dynasty Bulls to 7 in 98, took two games off Shaq/Kobe in the 2000 Finals.

1994-96 Magic- Shaq & Penny. Shaq's departure and Penny's knees derailed it, but you know they would've won one if they could've stayed together and healthy.

I also like the 93 Suns a lot.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,363

Post#2777 » by GSP » Thu May 9, 2024 2:28 am

Haliburton might be the worst defensive guard in the league. Its night and day when Tj Mcconnell is in the game compared to him he makes Mcconnell look like Caruso lmao. Mcconnell isnt a bad defender but man Haliburton is lost
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,363

Post#2778 » by GSP » Thu May 9, 2024 2:31 am

Carlisle is mad overrated. Thibs outcoached him bad w/ half his roster injured lol

Doc was outcoaching him too but no Giannis and Dame on 1 leg as a decoy for most the series was too much to overcome
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,910

Post#2779 » by ronnymac2 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:01 am

GSP wrote:Haliburton might be the worst defensive guard in the league. Its night and day when Tj Mcconnell is in the game compared to him he makes Mcconnell look like Caruso lmao. Mcconnell isnt a bad defender but man Haliburton is lost

My Knicks are not a dangerous offensive team. Defending us on our initial shot is really not difficult.

So when I compare how easy things are right now compared to the last series, my only conclusion is that Indiana absolutely sucks on defense. They are the worst defense I have seen in the NBA this season. It doesn't even matter who is out there. I thought Turner was supposed to be a deterrent. He's either out of position or gets pushed around. Even McDonnelly just does the old Derek Fisher where it looks like he's playing tough defense, but he's not really. They are horrific as a team on defense.

Strong offensive team though. Ball moves, good shooting, etc.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,762

Post#2780 » by tsherkin » Thu May 9, 2024 10:59 am

I will say this: whilst I am very much rooting for Denver, if they have to lose to anyone, I think this Wolves team is the most palatable option. They are quite good, and pretty fun to watch as well. Evsn if Jokic is kinda getting 95 Robinson'd.

Return to Player Comparisons