RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - General Thread

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,951

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - General Thread 

Post#81 » by OhayoKD » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:20 am

eminence wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Let'd say there's a situation where Lebron wins the vote but more posters actually thought Jordan was greater. There is precendent suggesting(impact thread, kg vs kobe) that a bunch of posters might rush over from GB and start ruining everyone's fun

Other than locking the voter roll (questionable) I don't see a way to prevent this, out voter base simply isn't large enough to prevent outside intervention at that level.

Not risking a pluraity/majority split isn't a bad start.

And of course, discussion is just going to be more varied, and there will be significantly more engagement with greater vote-flexibility, which off course also turns the thread into a better tool of future educational merit, more representative of the community, and more insightful for whatever "audience" may be procured.

That seems like a pretty clear-cut upgrade in terms of discussion quality and at 3, we have seen it works very well. It may make decision-making "less effecient" as iggy and doc for some posters, so if that's what we're prioritizing here, then you can make it 2 and accept the trade-offs.

Making the extra votes optional also lets participants choose for themselves, but discussion will be more "focused" without that choice
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#82 » by eminence » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:41 am

OhayoKD wrote:
eminence wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Let'd say there's a situation where Lebron wins the vote but more posters actually thought Jordan was greater. There is precendent suggesting(impact thread, kg vs kobe) that a bunch of posters might rush over from GB and start ruining everyone's fun

Other than locking the voter roll (questionable) I don't see a way to prevent this, out voter base simply isn't large enough to prevent outside intervention at that level.

And of course, discussion is just going to be more varied, and there will be significantly more engagement with greater vote-flexibility, which off course also turns the thread into a better tool of future educational merit, more representative of the community, and more insightful for whatever "audience" may be procured.

That seems like a pretty clear-cut upgrade in terms of discussion quality and at 3, we have seen it works very well. It may make decision-making "less effecient" as iggy and doc seemed to outline for some posters, so if that's what we're prioritizing here, then you can make it 2 and accept the trade-offs.

Making the extra votes optional also lets participants choose for themselves, but discussion will be more "focused" without that choice

I support a 2 or 3 vote ranked choice method, but I'm not seeing some of these arguments.

Less of a risk early for sure, which is a positive, but it'll still be there later in the project with any realistically sized ballot (ie not 20 places). There's simply too varied of opinions on who the #56 guy is for that to be avoided.

Your position is that discussion will be more varied, and perhaps you can guarantee it will be on your end, but I don't see a reason for that being a logical necessity. Posters aren't idiots and can read the tea leaves well enough to see which candidates will be viable each thread (based off past threads). Discussion will strongly centralize around those candidates regardless of voting method.
I bought a boat.
ShaqAttac
Rookie
And1: 342

Post#83 » by ShaqAttac » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:42 am

iggymcfrack wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
I'm glad that you're committed to the idea of the one man ballot. As a slight compromise to the people who wanted to be able to vote for more spots, how do you feel about some sort of run-off threshold? I'm not saying we should do a run-off every vote that doesn't have a majority, but maybe even a run-off if it's within 1 or 2 votes? That way no one's ever "wasting their vote" by not voting for one of the top 2 candidates since if it's close enough for their vote to matter, they'll have another chance anyway. This could have an additional positive impact in reducing strategic voting and getting people to select a wider range of candidates.

Yeah, I definitely see the beauty of a 1-man ballot...but I think that if it's a choice between an optional 2-man ballot or a separate run-off thread whenever there's no majority, I'd rather the 2-man ballot.

Here's the thing I'm thinking:

If a lack-of-majority becomes the norm - and it may - then we're looking at regular 2-thread process for every spot on the list, or, 200 threads. 100 is a lot, but making a choice that takes us to double that? That feels unnecessarily cluttering of the board to me.

Yeah, but I'm specifically NOT suggesting that. Having a run-off when the vote is 15-8-6-3 is pointless. We don't need that. I was just saying we could have a threshold where if the top 2 candidates are within 1 or 2 votes, then and only then do a run-off. That would make run-offs still feel rare and exciting and shouldn't add much volume to the project. You could literally even say only within 1 vote. So 14-12-8-3, player A wins with 14 votes. 13-12-7-4, that's within one vote, do a run-off.

uhh whats the point of a runoff if ur only usin it as some gimmick. if more ppl like a over b then b shouldnt win just coz.

sorry for sayin ur lazy, but idg this big-brain whatever. if we can do 3 votes n some ppl wanna vote 3 players just lettem vote 3 players
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,775

Post#84 » by homecourtloss » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:33 am

OhayoKD wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:You may not be trying to, but I think it is an inevitable outcome of reducing the number of votes. I think anenigma outlined why well, but what is possible is not the same as what is going to happen in practice. Human psychology is human psychology. A poster quite literally just said they'd be less interested in making points for Mikan if they had to choose between voting for him or russell or lebron.

Ah, but Ben was releasing a piece at some rate for the consumption of others. He had no choice but to choose a rate, even that rate was infinite - all at the same time - and so he looked to hit a sweet spot to regularly draw consumers.

Here, while we have the idea of an audience on our mind, community participation is king.

(And agree that I'm not particular concerned if something weird happens there's an hours-gap between live thread.)

Well, I think by any objective measure, community participation was higher with 3-votes, especially for the #1 thread. If we were proposing 4 or 5 votes I'd agree, but we already have prood of concept, no?

. And if a few hours aren't really an issue, then anenigma should be up to the task. It really comes down to if you want more and more diverse discussion or less and more artificially focused discussion. I tend to think artifical barriers are undesirable, but at the end of the day, I can only point out the trade-offs.

Not to be annoying but also worth considering. With 2-votes it's still plausible you end u p with a "person people dont think is greater than other candidate is voted as greater". With 3-votes it's virtually impossible.

Let'd say there's a situation where Lebron wins the vote but more posters actually thought Jordan was greater. There is precendent suggesting(impact thread, kg vs kobe) that a bunch of posters might rush over from GB and start ruining everyone's fun

I tend to agree here.

Count me in — I’m looking forward to this.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,206

Post#85 » by Colbinii » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:57 am

homecourtloss wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

Well, I think by any objective measure, community participation was higher with 3-votes, especially for the #1 thread. If we were proposing 4 or 5 votes I'd agree, but we already have prood of concept, no?

. And if a few hours aren't really an issue, then anenigma should be up to the task. It really comes down to if you want more and more diverse discussion or less and more artificially focused discussion. I tend to think artifical barriers are undesirable, but at the end of the day, I can only point out the trade-offs.

Not to be annoying but also worth considering. With 2-votes it's still plausible you end u p with a "person people dont think is greater than other candidate is voted as greater". With 3-votes it's virtually impossible.

Let'd say there's a situation where Lebron wins the vote but more posters actually thought Jordan was greater. There is precendent suggesting(impact thread, kg vs kobe) that a bunch of posters might rush over from GB and start ruining everyone's fun

I tend to agree here.

Count me in — I’m looking forward to this.

Ardee admitted his entire point of the 2020 project was to get Kobe in before KG. It happens :lol:
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,951

Post#86 » by OhayoKD » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:00 am

eminence wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
eminence wrote:

That seems like a pretty clear-cut upgrade in terms of discussion quality and at 3, we have seen it works very well. It may make decision-making "less effecient" as iggy and doc seemed to outline for some posters, so if that's what we're prioritizing here, then you can make it 2 and accept the trade-offs.

I support a 2 or 3 vote ranked choice method, but I'm not seeing some of these arguments.

Less of a risk early for sure, which is a positive, but it'll still be there later in the project with any realistically sized ballot (ie not 20 places). There's simply too varied of opinions on who the #56 guy is for that to be avoided.

Your position is that discussion will be more varied, and perhaps you can guarantee it will be on your end, but I don't see a reason for that being a logical necessity. Posters aren't idiots and can read the tea leaves well enough to see which candidates will be viable each thread (based off past threads). Discussion will strongly centralize around those candidates regardless of voting method.

1. Sure, the early threads are always going to be the hot-points of interest and participation though, so getting it right there is arguably of more import. As is, I've specifically proposed having the 3-votes at the start and letting it go down after if there is some deficit in "focus" or if it's too cumbersome to have 3 votes throughout(though we have a volunteer to handle all that)

2. I mean we see the difference in variety if we compare the 3-vote threads to the 1-vote thread. While I am intending to talk about multiple players anyway, a poster on this thread has explictly noted that being strategic and not voting for mikan would make them less likely to talk about mikan, and I very much doubt that is some isolated phenomenon.

You don't have to be an idiot to want to discuss things you have a vote-attached to. You also don't have to be an idiot to not want to have to choose between voting the players you want to vote for and having your vote actually matter in the final tally. So I think it's a good idea to avoid both to the best extent that is feasible.

As in real-life, I think there should be as much freedom and easy access in voting as is feasible without major trade-offs in integrity or feasibility. The stakes are not the same here, but I think the principle should still be followed to the extent it reasonably can.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,519

Post#87 » by Ambrose » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:16 am

If the options are 1 vs. 3, I'd prefer the latter. Personally, I think it should be at least 2.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#88 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:09 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the extra votes from #2 onwards just for eventual run-offs? And those run-offs are expected to be less frequent than they were in 2020? So it isn't nearly as impactful to have more people on your ballot as it is with the condorcet method?

I'd personally go for making it mandatory to list at least 3 names. The main person you're voting for, at least one back-up vote in case there does turn out to be a run-off since having to go back to every voter for an extra pick is going to get annoying quickly and then the nominee.

I do definitely get the argument that more people on ballots makes things a mess later on in the project. I was there till the end last time and a little past halway in the ballots were starting to get ridiculous with everyone listing like 20 guys and nobody getting more than 1-2 first place votes. However, this should already be eliminated by the nominations. If there are only 5-6 people up for induction in a round, especially in later rounds, it does make sense to me to just give a ranked choice of them since run-offs are going to become more frequent later on.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 6,033

Post#89 » by falcolombardi » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:36 am

Have not followed this debate in depth since i have not been able to be on realGM last few months for study/career reasons. But i would love to try participating in the project if possible

Also i kinda have to take the side that more votes probably is better, 1 vote only feels too limiting both for accurately gauging people actual players rankings as in artificially limiting the discussion and debate in each thread to fewer players

So i would think the 3 player ballot system use is just fine
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,989

Post#90 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:31 am

For the first time, I'm in! So excited for this.

Thank you, Doctor MJ, for taking the lead, and thanks in advance for your investment of time and emotional energy. I know it isn't easy to commit to this, but it's a valuable contribution, and I think the tri-annual continuation of this project is important to the community.

As for the debate, my bias undoubtedly informs my view here. I am less concerned with exact final rankings of players than I am with using this common approach to basketball history as a lens for appreciating what makes the sport so impressive and meaningful to us as fans. For this reason I support the methods which (1) ensure the project begins at all and is completed, (2) elicit the greatest depth and breadth of discussion, and (3) keep as many participants engaged as possible.

To (1), I would submit that deference needs to be given to the project-runner. We need, and have, a credible leader at the head of this project, and if said leader indicates a preference for simplifying the voting, that's nearly enough for me to want to follow. But, he did invite discussion, so yes, let's consider the merits of each system before proceeding.

On (2), I am frankly not convinced by the overly deterministic cases for ranked-choice compelling better discussion. Those posts pointing to past projects using ranked-choice as precedent for longer threads and more players earning mentions are more convincing. So, there is an argument on that side. One quality I have not seen named explicitly by that side, but that I think is a merit to that method, is the variety of discussion topics and elements of the sport that arise. The more players whose accomplishments are referenced, the more likely it is that we have to reckon with different ways of being great at basketball and the more we all learn. A limited nomination pool may prevent deep dives into some of the players who never make the pool.

However, let's not be tempted to be overly deterministic, or be limited by an either/or (Doctor MJ's proposal vs. exactly what we've done before). Doctor MJ has already indicated a willingness to modify based on feedback, so if we have to customize the parameters around discussion and voting, let's do it. There's also a case to be made for variety in methods over the span of many years of this project, just to see what new and different ideas, trends, and final rankings emerge.

What if, in the interest of ensuring breadth and variety, we required everybody to name (and defend) three nominations for the pool of eligible players? The tallying would remain simple: you'd just count up all the mentions and add the player who gets the most to the pool of eligible nominees. Requiring three nominations of each contributor provides the space to really ramp up discussion on a large set of players without the constraint of voting; i.e., I can use that space to steer discussion for the sake of learning and sharing rather than for the sake of influencing votes. Now, as with voting, there is nothing limiting such discussion even under a method of one person, one nomination. But it might lead some to emphasize breadth of discussion even more than, say, a desire to stack a ranked-choice list with as many worthy players as possible would. More clearly separating voting from nominating, as has been done in some past projects, leads to an interesting bifurcation of conversation such that the nominating portion can be as free-flowing or as in-depth as each person feels the moment calls for.

I am less worried about achieving depth of discussion because these projects always deliver, but I would suggest that the more we emphasize the nomination process, the more we ensure each eventual inductee has been thoroughly vetted for their worthiness. Maybe, anyway?

As to (3), it appears to me that the greatest challenges to engagement are making the greatest number of people happy about the process by which #1 is chosen and keeping the greatest number of participants involved throughout the project. I think these problems invite different solutions. Ranked-choice may be the best way to open the project and establish the initial pool of nominees for #2 and beyond. More players get discussed. Strategic voting is weighted rather than forced into an absolute or a throw-your-vote-away situation. The resulting nomination pool has been discussed with some depth already, rather than assumed to be valid from a previous project. So, my recommendation would be doing #1, and #1 only, using this method.

Following the initial vote, for which I'd also allocate more than 3 days (it's just special to people, even if not so much to Doctor MJ or me), I think the priority for keeping people engaged flips to simplicity: keeping as many people contributing as much as possible. Maybe the same ranked-choice method is best for this too, but I'm not sold that it has to be this way. As I said above, an increased focus on a nomination process may help to invite variety, which might keep advocates for specific and less-heralded players involved. And the battles for #2 and beyond are just less likely to matter so much as to who wins or be so contentious (although, counterpoints: KG vs. Kobe, Isiah vs. Stockton), such that I think at that point, no matter what method is chosen, it's really up to each contributor to stay committed to contributing beyond wanting to see their guy(s) land at certain spot(s).

I've gotta wrap this up, but I guess what I'm advocating for is an unlimited, ranked-choice ballot for the initial thread only, using that to choose the GOAT and also the pool of (5, 6, 7?) eligible nominees for #2. Then, it's a simple most-votes-wins format after that, choosing one player from the pool at each spot. If we're worried about thoroughly covering each player (again, I'm not, but some are), we could require every voter to say something about each nominee, even if only a sentence. Along with one vote, each voter names three players for the nominee pool, and the player with the most mentions is added to the next voting thread.

Not married to any of these ideas, but I wanted to throw them out there as a sort of compromise to the concerns and priorities I've been reading.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,940

Post#91 » by Moonbeam » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:37 pm

I think I’d like to return to this. :)

I had a lot of fun participating in 2014 and learned a ton from the project.

I’ve been tinkering with a new model to give me a baseline ranking that I can use as the backbone of my list.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#92 » by PistolPeteJR » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:59 pm

Thank you for doing this!
I won’t have time to participate this time around, but will tune in!
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,433

Post#93 » by AEnigma » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:47 pm

eminence wrote:I liked the criteria thread that was made last time around, so here goes for me, stream of thought on criteria.

1. I focus on cumulative career value, with the primary unit of measurement being the season. Games in a season, possessions in a game, games/minutes played by a top player have all changed significantly over the years. But it's always one season (well, minus those split league years where there were kinda two seasons at once). A season in the 1950's having the same baseline value for me as one in the 2020's (even seasons right next to one another may not be identical, but I'm not starting from a point of 'seasons in the 50's are worth 60% as much as ones in the 10s').

2. To determine seasonal value I have what I would call a 'Corp-adjacent' technique. The thought of value assigned per season is similar, but not strictly about determining # of championships, as I believe that requires league analysis (league structure, playoff structure, etc) beyond evaluating the talent/value of the players. Informally I'd assign rough value tiers along these lines:
-Replacement Level Player (no actual career value assigned to these seasons/players)
-Bench Player
-Starter
-All-Star
-All-NBA
-MVP
-ATG

-All the above are relative to the other players playing at the time or near to (comparing seasons a few apart is fair game).
-Tiers are more about degrees of separation from the pack than ordinal ranking from the top, eg there were a few years in between Mikan and Russell where no MVP or higher level players graced the game, despite there always being a literal 'Most Valuable Player'.
-I do not assign negative value seasons to any player ('16 Kobe comes to mind).

3. I do offer a slight upwards curve on longevity to players who retired prior to or near ABA creation (significant healthcare gains, more lucrative careers, etc).

4. Mikan/Russell uniquely get a bit of a 'no more ghosts to chase' bonus. I go back and forth on giving Magic a boost due to the unique circumstances of his first retirement. At a minimum I use it as a very strong tiebreaker.

5. I generally feel modern APM style stats do a pretty good job of capturing the value I talked about in #2, but they are certainly not perfect. WOWY type measures prior to that have some lesser use, but are of limited availability. If even WOWY type things are unavailable minutes or games played and team quality isn't worthless (lots of minutes on a good team, you're probably at least alright). Box-score stats are about showing the shape of a players impact or to point towards likely increases/decreases in impact.

If you have any thoughts let me know, questions, things I missed, etc.

The bulk of this matches closely with my approach (little deviation with #2 but otherwise right in line).

If I were to add on for my own standards…

A.) My process features a mild element of weighing “accomplishments”, e.g. I struggle to place Karl Malone above Julius Erving even though I see the case for Malone having an overall more “valuable” career and think he could have conceivably won just as much as Erving did if in some sense they switched places.

B.) On that note, hypotheticals can be relevant, but unprovable abstractions like “Garnett could have potentially won five titles in Duncan’s place” are not a substitute for real production.

C.) When I say “accomplishments”, I am referring to winning, winning more than expected, or being a top player. A scoring/rebounding/assisting title is a literal accomplishment but not one which matters much to me.

D.) I generally do not care too much about title counting, but there is a ceiling to not winning more. Everyone in my top fifteen has a title. And it would take some extraordinary circumstances to make it in there without winning, and similarly extraordinary circumstances to make it into my top eight with only one title. A true outlier like Russell does secure him from falling far though, and if we were only looking at the “best” thirteen years, I may never be able to move him out of the #1 spot.

E.) I am more interested in succeeding with different variables than I am on repeated success with an established core. I also do not care much about timing; 1999-03 Shaq is not more valuable to me than 2003-07 Duncan just because one was LWWWL and the other was WLWLW, and if anything, I am inclined to the larger roster variation we see with Duncan.

F.) Era context matters to me. If I feel you were specifically benefitting from or being limited by certain era standards, I will not just be taking your in-era status at immediate face value.

G.) Size matters. Being a good defensive guard is not as valuable as being a good defensive forward, and being a good defensive forward is not worth as much as being a good defensive big… but as we have seen with Jokic, it is much more possible for the best offensive forwards and bigs to replicate the offensive production of guards.

H.) Efficiency needs to be contextualised to team role and scoring load. This tends to be a mistake with people who mostly are looking at raw boxscore averages, but I see it with people watching games too. Yes, there are players who “chuck”, and yes, that can be frustrating, and yes, it would be better if those players could score more with less, but it is not feasible to funnel shots to roleplayers. There is a burden to shotmaking.
Terry Pluto wrote:One of my first conversations with [Lloyd/World B.] Free led to him asking, “Do you know how hard it is to get 20?”

“Twenty points?” I asked.

“No, 20 shots a game,” he said.

I laughed.

Free was serious. He explained how defenses were set up to stop players like him, scorers on bad teams. The goal was to keep the ball out of his hands. And when he did have the ball, he often faced two defenders. It took strength, energy and ingenuity to get off 20 decent shots a game.

“It can wear you down knowing you have to carry the offense for your team,” he said. “But I did it, year after year.”

Not everything is about “ceiling raising”.

H.) Relatedly, while I generally support APM use as a guideline, role and team context is an essential consideration. Stockton was not a secret superstar anymore than Kyle Lowry has been.

I.) Perhaps tying back to the idea of “accomplishments”: there is a value cap to players who never exceed all-NBA/all-star status. NBA history strongly indicates that having a top tier superstar correlates best with sustained success. Stockton did not drive winning teams more than Patrick Ewing did, and it has bothered me to see that so readily abandoned just because the Riley Knicks maintained fair frontcourt depth behind Ewing. Perhaps we can see this as an encapsulation of a lot of these points: excessively penalising “inefficiency”, irrationally inflating the value of guard defence, improperly failing to properly appreciate big man defence, etc.

J.) Another spot where I think APM has often been misused: seasonal variance and age curves do not result in these massive impact fluctuations or drops the way APM metrics may suggest. Garnett did not go from one of the most valuable regular seasons ever to having more neutral impact. Although I think box score comparisons are reductive and too often skewed to specific archetypes, internally, this is where they are useful for stabilising what “impact” could suggest. If a player’s production holds firm, that should clue you in to there being an alternative explanation.

K.) On the subject of aging curves: the best players tend to hold onto more their value than what “impact” and production dips may otherwise indicate. There inevitably is a time where that stops being true, but people seem weirdly eager to get ahead of themselves on those declines. Again often a case of vaguely gesturing at minor declines and overselling their real effect on a team.

More may come to mind as we go deeper into the project, but that should be good place to start.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,519

Post#94 » by Ambrose » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:29 pm

AEnigma wrote:
eminence wrote:I liked the criteria thread that was made last time around, so here goes for me, stream of thought on criteria.

1. I focus on cumulative career value, with the primary unit of measurement being the season. Games in a season, possessions in a game, games/minutes played by a top player have all changed significantly over the years. But it's always one season (well, minus those split league years where there were kinda two seasons at once). A season in the 1950's having the same baseline value for me as one in the 2020's (even seasons right next to one another may not be identical, but I'm not starting from a point of 'seasons in the 50's are worth 60% as much as ones in the 10s').

2. To determine seasonal value I have what I would call a 'Corp-adjacent' technique. The thought of value assigned per season is similar, but not strictly about determining # of championships, as I believe that requires league analysis (league structure, playoff structure, etc) beyond evaluating the talent/value of the players. Informally I'd assign rough value tiers along these lines:
-Replacement Level Player (no actual career value assigned to these seasons/players)
-Bench Player
-Starter
-All-Star
-All-NBA
-MVP
-ATG

-All the above are relative to the other players playing at the time or near to (comparing seasons a few apart is fair game).
-Tiers are more about degrees of separation from the pack than ordinal ranking from the top, eg there were a few years in between Mikan and Russell where no MVP or higher level players graced the game, despite there always being a literal 'Most Valuable Player'.
-I do not assign negative value seasons to any player ('16 Kobe comes to mind).

3. I do offer a slight upwards curve on longevity to players who retired prior to or near ABA creation (significant healthcare gains, more lucrative careers, etc).

4. Mikan/Russell uniquely get a bit of a 'no more ghosts to chase' bonus. I go back and forth on giving Magic a boost due to the unique circumstances of his first retirement. At a minimum I use it as a very strong tiebreaker.

5. I generally feel modern APM style stats do a pretty good job of capturing the value I talked about in #2, but they are certainly not perfect. WOWY type measures prior to that have some lesser use, but are of limited availability. If even WOWY type things are unavailable minutes or games played and team quality isn't worthless (lots of minutes on a good team, you're probably at least alright). Box-score stats are about showing the shape of a players impact or to point towards likely increases/decreases in impact.

If you have any thoughts let me know, questions, things I missed, etc.

The bulk of this matches closely with my approach (little deviation with #2 but otherwise right in line).

If I were to add on for my own standards…

A.) My process features a mild element of weighing “accomplishments”, e.g. I struggle to place Karl Malone above Julius Erving even though I see the case for Malone having an overall more “valuable” career and think he could have conceivably won just as much as Erving did if in some sense they switched places.

B.) On that note, hypotheticals can be relevant, but unprovable abstractions like “Garnett could have potentially won five titles in Duncan’s place” are not a substitute for real production.

C.) When I say “accomplishments”, I am referring to winning, winning more than expected, or being a top player. A scoring/rebounding/assisting title is a literal accomplishment but not one which matters much to me.

D.) I generally do not care too much about title counting, but there is a ceiling to not winning more. Everyone in my top fifteen has a title. And it would take some extraordinary circumstances to make it in there without winning, and similarly extraordinary circumstances to make it into my top eight with only one title. A true outlier like Russell does secure him from falling far though, and if we were only looking at the “best” thirteen years, I may never be able to move him out of the #1 spot.

E.) I am more interested in succeeding with different variables than I am on repeated success with an established core. I also do not care much about timing; 1999-03 Shaq is not more valuable to me than 2003-07 Duncan just because one was LWWWL and the other was WLWLW, and if anything, I am inclined to the larger roster variation we see with Duncan.

F.) Era context matters to me. If I feel you were specifically benefitting from or being limited by certain era standards, I will not just be taking your in-era status at immediate face value.

G.) Size matters. Being a good defensive guard is not as valuable as being a good defensive forward, and being a good defensive forward is not worth as much as being a good defensive big… but as we have seen with Jokic, it is much more possible for the best offensive forwards and bigs to replicate the offensive production of guards.

H.) Efficiency needs to be contextualised to team role and scoring load. This tends to be a mistake with people who mostly are looking at raw boxscore averages, but I see it with people watching games too. Yes, there are players who “chuck”, and yes, that can be frustrating, and yes, it would be better if those players could scoring more with less, but it is not feasible to funnel shots to roleplayers. There is a burden to shotmaking.
Terry Pluto wrote:One of my first conversations with [Lloyd/World B.] Free led to him asking, “Do you know how hard it is to get 20?”

“Twenty points?” I asked.

“No, 20 shots a game,” he said.

I laughed.

Free was serious. He explained how defenses were set up to stop players like him, scorers on bad teams. The goal was to keep the ball out of his hands. And when he did have the ball, he often faced two defenders. It took strength, energy and ingenuity to get off 20 decent shots a game.

“It can wear you down knowing you have to carry the offense for your team,” he said. “But I did it, year after year.”

Not everything is about “ceiling raising”.

H.) Relatedly, while I generally support APM use as a guideline, role and team context is an essential consideration. Stockton was not a secret superstar anymore than Kyle Lowry has been.

I.) Perhaps tying back to the idea of “accomplishments”: there is a value cap to players who never exceed all-NBA/all-star status. NBA history strongly indicates that having a top tier superstar correlates best with sustained success. Stockton did not drive winning teams more than Patrick Ewing did, and it has bothered me to see that so readily abandoned just because the Riley Knicks maintained fair frontcourt depth behind Ewing. Perhaps we can see this as an encapsulation of a lot of these points: excessively penalising “inefficiency”, irrationally inflating the value of guard defence, improperly failing to properly appreciate big man defence, etc.

J.) Another spot where I think APM has often been misused: seasonal variance and age curves do not result in these massive impact fluctuations or drops the way APM metrics may suggest. Garnett did not go from one of the most valuable regular seasons ever to having more neutral impact. Although I think box score comparisons are reductive and too often skewed to specific archetypes, internally, this is where they are useful for stabilising what “impact” could suggest. If a player’s production holds firm, that should clue you in to there being an alternative explanation.

K.) On the subject of aging curves: the best players tend to hold onto more their value than what “impact” and production dips may otherwise indicate. There inevitably is a time where that stops being true, but people seem weirdly eager to get ahead of themselves on those declines. Again often a case of vaguely gesturing at minor declines and overselling their real effect on a team.

More may come to mind as we go deeper into the project, but that should be good place to start.

Point I is something I strongly support that it seems people have gotten away from in recent years. Especially the first two sentences.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#95 » by ceiling raiser » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:24 pm

eminence wrote:

Could have open participation for the first n slots, and thereafter require somebody votes in the previous ballot (or maybe two previous ballots, or 2/3 previous ballots) to prevent brigading.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by ceiling raiser » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:34 pm

What's the projected first thread start date?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,653

Post#97 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:50 pm

ceiling raiser wrote:What's the projected first thread start date?

July 1st (it's on the OP).
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by ceiling raiser » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:36 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
ceiling raiser wrote:What's the projected first thread start date?

July 1st (it's on the OP).

Thanks. Might participate this time around.

Are you considering creating a thread in advance for people to give their pre-project top 15s, 50s, 100s, etc? Would be good to see how many minds are swayed after reading arguments.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#99 » by eminence » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:51 pm

Another criteria I thought of that I somewhat apply (hard to quantify) - As players become more accmplished more of the weight for the value of a season moves onto the playoffs. Do I really care that much about Russells '68 RS when he was chasing his 10th title? (Russell the most extreme example, but it's true to some extent for all who've carried the crown for a bit).
I bought a boat.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,777

Post#100 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:11 am

I am looking forward to this again, though having done a few of these I expect to be posting shorter and less detailed (but hopefully better informed) posts than in past threads. Thank you Doc for taking this on; you can PM me if there's a few days you need to miss and you want me to cover for you.

I will say that in the past, we have continued to discuss even after a winner has been picked, just in the old thread, hopefully not in the new one if one of the people being discussed is now off the table. I will also start a "Criteria" thread where you can post how your decision making works and read other people's thinking processes without worrying about voting.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons