Joel Embiid - 23-24 NBA Thread - 23 NBA MVP

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,101

Re: Joel Embiid - 23-24 NBA Thread - 23 NBA MVP 

Post#121 » by rk2023 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:11 pm

Mickey8 wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:As much as I don't like watching his foul grifting, I feel bad for him. In his 30s now and looks like he's never gonna get through a season healthy.

If you can run up and down the court for 48 minutes you are healthy. If you are on the court you are healthy. He had two months of the rest before the play off's. He was the most fresher player going into the play off's. His injuries are overblown so he can have the cover for the poor performances in the play off's. The most players are banged up at this point of the season. Jokic for example have the issues with his back and wrist. You are just parroting media points for the most protected player in the history of the league.

I don’t think peregrine is doing anything of that sort..
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#122 » by TroubleS0me » Fri May 3, 2024 5:51 pm

TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#123 » by TroubleS0me » Fri May 3, 2024 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,202

Post#124 » by Mickey8 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:15 pm

rk2023 wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:As much as I don't like watching his foul grifting, I feel bad for him. In his 30s now and looks like he's never gonna get through a season healthy.

If you can run up and down the court for 48 minutes you are healthy. If you are on the court you are healthy. He had two months of the rest before the play off's. He was the most fresher player going into the play off's. His injuries are overblown so he can have the cover for the poor performances in the play off's. The most players are banged up at this point of the season. Jokic for example have the issues with his back and wrist. You are just parroting media points for the most protected player in the history of the league.

I don’t think peregrine is doing anything of that sort..

He's emphasizing that Embiid was hurt, so when Embiid is missing wide open lay ups or jump shots that's because of the injury which its not He's not dealing well with the pressure of the play off basketball, he's missing the same shots that he's making with the higher shooting percentages in the regular season. Also his decision making with the ball is very bad. The Sixers wont win anything with him as their go to guy. I think they made horrible decision when they didn't re sign Butler. Embiid would have been good in the role of the third option on the team behind Butler and Maxi and they would probably made it to one of the NBA finals by now.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,348

Post#125 » by ShotCreator » Sat May 4, 2024 1:22 am

ShotCreator wrote:Well he just did 50/84 on 19 shots in what has been a much more defensive playoff season in both conferences.

Haven't watched the series but he's a big positive in the on-court +/- in each game. Philly has slammed NYK with him out there every game.

It seems the narratives have already been established but let it be known the 76ers won comfortably, by 7.3 points per 100 possessions when Embiid was on the court.

And were an incomprehensible disaster without him at -50.8 points per 100 possessions with him off-court.

And this is not the first time. He had extreme splits like this in the 2019 ECSF. +41.6 net on/off in the 19 playoffs.

I would imagine his defense was beyond game changing in this past series.
Swinging for the fences.

This is not normal. one of Lebron, Steph, Draymond, CP3, Kawhi or any other modern high impact guys have seen extreme splits like this.
Swinging for the fences.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,202

Post#126 » by Mickey8 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:23 pm

Plus and minuses is useless category. Embiid has cost his team in every game that they have lost in this series with his bad shooting,decision making and the poor rebounding which is the part of the defense.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,671

Post#127 » by tsherkin » Sat May 4, 2024 1:59 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Plus and minuses is useless category. Embiid has cost his team in every game that they have lost in this series with his bad shooting,decision making and the poor rebounding which is the part of the defense.

While this is an aggressive over-simplification and a pointless dismissal of an entire category of statistics, there is some truth to the idea that timeliness of error still matters. Errors in close games are problems. Now, at least one of Embiid's fouls in the 4th quarter doesn't matter because it was after a made bucket, down 1 with 34 seconds to go. Another one wasn't awesome but Anunoby missed the free throw.

But the game before, he had 9 turnovers, and he did have 6 turnovers in the game, and a loose ball foul (which Philly unsuccessfully challenged) in the 4th which led to a 4-point swing, basically.

Some food for thought, anyway. Speaking to Game 6, he shot 12/25 (48%), which was poor by his standards but he was still a 63.5% TS guy that game because he was 13/13 at the line. And he was 2/4 in the 4th, and 5/10 in the first half, so it was really the 5/11 he dropped in the third (a quarter where Philly was -3) where he was shooting particularly bleh... but still managed 16 points on about 63% TS.

Philly's much larger problem in this series was containing Brunson, who was 5/8 in the 4th... and how badly they got spanked in the first quarter (36-22). Philly was 7/21 from the field in the first quarter, and the hole that put them in cost them the game in the end. FWIW, Embiid was 3/6 for 9 points.

So it's kind of game-by-game, and in some cases down to specific quarters, as well as what his teammates and the opposition were doing. From a scoring standpoint, Game 6 isn't on Embiid at all.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,770

Post#128 » by homecourtloss » Sat May 4, 2024 2:30 pm

Mickey8 wrote:Plus and minuses is useless category. Embiid has cost his team in every game that they have lost in this series with his bad shooting,decision making and the poor rebounding which is the part of the defense.

ShotCreator wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:Well he just did 50/84 on 19 shots in what has been a much more defensive playoff season in both conferences.

Haven't watched the series but he's a big positive in the on-court +/- in each game. Philly has slammed NYK with him out there every game.

It seems the narratives have already been established but let it be known the 76ers won comfortably, by 7.3 points per 100 possessions when Embiid was on the court.

And were an incomprehensible disaster without him at -50.8 points per 100 possessions with him off-court.

And this is not the first time. He had extreme splits like this in the 2019 ECSF. +41.6 net on/off in the 19 playoffs.

This is not normal. one of Lebron, Steph, Draymond, CP3, Kawhi or any other modern high impact guys have seen extreme splits like this.

It’s even more pronounced if you look at the numbers from nba.com. What’s crazy is that there weren’t any garbage time minutes either:

Embiid on: +9.3
Embiid off: -52.5

ORtg with Embiid on: 124.5
ORtg with Embiid off: 72.8

DRtg with Embiid on: 114.8
DRtg with Embiid off: 125.3

ShotCreator wrote:I would imagine his defense was beyond game changing in this past series.
Swinging for the fences.

He was contesting a lot of shots (24.5 shots per game on which he was the closest defender) and especially at the rim:

Player, FGA at the rim defended, FG% allowed

Holgrem, 9.0, 36.4%
Lively, 4.8, 48.3%
Mobley, 7.5, 48.9%,
Embiid, 9.3, 51.8%
Porzingis
Gobert
Turner
Banchero
LeBron
Nurkic
Lopez
Carter Jr
Jokic, 9.4, 72.3%
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…

Return to Player Comparisons