RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #79 (Bob Cousy)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,672

RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #79 (Bob Cousy) 

Post#1 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Mar 2, 2024 9:03 pm

Our system is now as follows:

1. We have a pool of Nominees you are to choose from for your Induction (main) vote to decide who next gets on the List. Choose your top vote, and if you'd like to, a second vote which will be used for runoff purposes if needed.

2. Nomination vote now works the same way.

3. You must include reasoning for each of your votes, though you may re-use your old words in a new post.

4. Post as much as they want, but when you do your official Vote make it really clear to me at the top of that post that that post is your Vote. And if you decide to change your vote before the votes are tallied, please edit that same Vote post.

5. Anyone may post thoughts, but please only make a Vote post if you're on the Voter list. If you'd like to be added to the project, please ask in the General Thread for the project. Note that you will not be added immediately to the project now. If you express an interest during the #2 thread, for example, the earliest you'll be added to the Voter list is for the #3.

5. I'll tally the votes when I wake up the morning after the Deadline (I don't care if you change things after the official Deadline, but once I tally, it's over). For this specific Vote, if people ask before the Deadline, I'll extend it.

Here's the list of the Voter Pool as it stands right now (and if I forgot anyone I approved, do let me know):

Spoiler:
AEnigma
Ambrose
ceilng raiser
ceoofkobefans
Clyde Frazier
Colbinii
cupcakesnake
Doctor MJ
Dooley
DQuinn1575
Dr Positivity
DraymondGold
Dutchball97
f4p
falcolombardi
Fundamentals21
Gibson22
HeartBreakKid
homecourtloss
iggymcfrack
LA Bird
JimmyFromNz
Joao Saraiva
lessthanjake
Lou Fan
Moonbeam
Narigo
OhayoKD
OldSchoolNoBull
penbeast0
Rishkar
rk2023
Samurai
ShaqAttac
Taj FTW
Tim Lehrbach
trelos6
trex_8063
ty 4191
WintaSoldier1
ZeppelinPage

Alright, the Nominees for you to choose among for the next slot on the list (in alphabetical order):

Bob Cousy

Adrian Dantley

Cliff Hagan

Allen Iverson

Bill Walton

As requested, here's the current list so far along with the historical spreadsheet of previous projects:

Current List
Historical Spreadsheet
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,809

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #79 (Deadline ~5am PST, 3/5/24) 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 9:41 pm

Vote: Adrian Dantley Easily the greatest scorer left. Amazing combination of volume and efficiency.

One of only 5 players in NBA history to have a season over .400 TS Add, something neither LeBron James or Micheal Jordan ever accomplished! Of the top 11 guys in this stat, everyone else is in except for Alex Groza whose career was ended quickly over college point shaving scandals in the 50s. And it wasn't isolated, he was consistently among the league leaders in both scoring and efficiency for his whole career.

His history with coaches is mixed. Frank Layton in Utah ripped him publicly as a selfish player though he later tried to walk it back a few times. On the other hand, Chuck Daly praised his professionalism, work ethic, and even his defense. But basically he is a serious candidate as one of the greatest wing scorers to ever play and everyone close to him in volume and efficiency is in.

Code: Select all

TS ADD LEADERS (single season) -- thanks to Owly for posting this

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 460.4
Steph Curry 454.7
Charles Barkley 433.5
Wilt Chamberlain 430.3
Adrian Dantley 404.8

Kevin Durant 394.9
Oscar Robertson 392.5
Jerry West 374.3
George Mikan 365.5
Karl Malone 362.8

+ Alex Groza '50. 377.4

Alt vote: Bob Cousy[/i] Cousy was the best guard of his era and while his playoff performances with Russell were James Harden level fails, his playmaking was still strong and his pre-Russell prime is the key to his case, not the rings where I feel he was the weak link in the Celtics lineup rather than a strength.

Iverson will not be a vote for me. He had one main skill, scoring, and compared to the other top scorers he was inefficient, selfish, and didn't space the floor while putting up his huge point totals. He played weak defense and was a miserable team leader. The whole "practice?" thing was emblematic of his missing practices and focusing on his personal glory rather than team goals. Great entertainer, not a great contributor to winning; he was the Pete Maravich of his era.

Nominate: Sam Jones On the downside, Celtics didn't win with their offense, on the upside, Jones was the main offensive engine of that dynasty and a consistent strong scorer with good efficiency (in a scheme that people say drove scoring efficiency down).

Alt: Bill Sharman Best shooting guard of his era, combined relatively good scoring with relatively good defense for an extended period. Still valuable up into the 60s.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
trelos6
Junior
And1: 151

Post#3 » by trelos6 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:14 pm

Vote: Iverson

Enough all nba level years. Still a robust scorer despite his efficiency woes. We saw once he got to Denver, he had a season with +2rTS%, so if he wasn’t forced into hero ball, his shot profile may be different. After his rookie year, he didn’t play alongside another 20 ppg scorer until 05-06 Webber.

Comparing to Dantley.

Alt vote: Bob Cousy

Not too many 10+ year all stars left on the board. Terrific passer.

Nomination; Nance

Larry Nance

Historically, he's been voted in around the 73-83 range. He had a 11 year stretch where he averaged 18.8 pp75 on +5.2 rTS%. When he got to Cleveland, he finally was able to make the post season with regularity. He was around 17.4 pp75 on +5.8 rTS%. The rest of his game was solid, with basically no weakness. Once you combine the efficient scoring with his reputation as basically the best shot blocking PF in history, I think that propels Nance to, at the very minimum, an ALL STAR level player for the vast majority of his career.

Looking at his PIPM over his career, Image I think he was a pretty impactful player for 11 seasons.

Alt nom: Marion

Shawn Marion.

Another guy who's been voted in 77-78 in the last 3 projects. Not a flashy scorer, but he was a high impact player. A couple of seasons of efficient scoring alongside prime Nash, but otherwise, he was around league average in rTS%. I have him with 6 ALL D level seasons. He was a beast defensively, as a giant wing who could rebound with the best of them.

Looking at his PIPM, he had 3 really good peak years, which were borderline weak MVP level. I err on the side of caution, so I only have them as ALL NBA level seasons, but ultimately, his great peak and defensive play is what gets him here.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,507

Post#4 » by AEnigma » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:47 pm

VOTE: Allen Iverson
Alternate: TBD
NOMINATE: Al Horford
AltNom: Tony Parker

AEnigma wrote:Much like with Isiah, I am surprisingly one of the first to back Iverson. Iverson had a pretty nice 10-to-12-year prime before his rapid decline. His cultural legacy outpaced his real impact, but his ability to shoulder massive minutes and scoring loads did have a notable lift on his team. The 76ers went from a -9.5 SRS team to a -5.5 team (factoring his missed games) upon his arrival. From 1997-2007, they won at a 33-win pace without him and a 42-win pace with him. That is not overwhelming improvement, but it is a lot of value provided over eleven years. His effect in Denver was more tepid — unsurprising given the scoring overlap with Carmelo — but I think he deserves credit for helping them reach what to that point was a new high mark in wins and SRS, and as I believe I have detailed elsewhere, the difference between the 2008 team and the 2009 team tends to be overstated (although Billups was indeed better for that team).

Will join with Trex on Parker. Not a higher peak or better prime than players like KJ or Baron Davis, but seeing as neither reached that top five player mark which I usually look to as a bar for reasonable title contention, I think the totality of Parker’s career is worth more. Also tough to say Davis or KJ accomplished more than Parker did (while acknowledging that KJ leading back-to-back conference finalists at his apex at least gives him an argument).
ShaqAttac
Rookie
And1: 342

Post#5 » by ShaqAttac » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:41 pm

VOTE

WALTON

Won a ring and mvp n swept kareem

IVERSON

mvp and led team to final and went crazy against kobe and shaq. also good impact i guess.

Ill nom

HOFORD
eni made a good arg i guess. Also took bron to 7 and carried flat earther next year. Prob not the best but none of the players i like are getting votes rn

Tatum
led team to final and ecf and he has a vote so. luka is better tho
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,875

Post#6 » by eminence » Sun Mar 3, 2024 3:53 pm

Deciding between Iverson/Dantley for my 2nd spot this round. Cousy at the top. Any nomination will likely leapfrog Walton/Hagan for me.
I bought a boat.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#7 » by iggymcfrack » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:13 pm

Vote: Bob Cousy
Wins by default for being pioneering and a key part of several championship teams, but I do not like this group of candidates at all. Hope we nominate someone better next time or I don't know who I'll vote for when Cousy goes.

Nominate: Sidney Moncrief
Ranks 6th in prime WOWYR behind Magic, Stockton, D-Rob, Jordan, and Nash (disclaimer: old dataset, only goes to 2016). 2-time DPOY winner. All around defensive monster with better offensive numbers than most of the current crop.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#8 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:32 pm

So with the run of modern players recently, I want to get my head around the scale of it, and am going to post my analysis here:

# of players so far by birth decade:

1990s - 9
1980s - 11
1970s - 16
1960s - 14
1950s - 8
1940s - 11
1930s - 6
1920s - 3

Since we do this every 3 years, we can't go back a perfect decade, but if we go back to 2014, that'd be 9 years ago. Here's how the Top 78 looked by birth decade then, along with the guys who've dropped off:

1980s - 6
1970s - 18 (Hill, Iverson, Marion) (Billups jumped up)
1960s - 17 (Wilkins, Worthy, KJ)
1950s - 14 (McAdoo, English, Dantley, King, Moncrief, Nance)
1940s - 12 (Tiny)
1930s - 7 (Sam)
1920s - 4 (Cousy)

We definitely seem to be seeing younger modern players jumping in a bit faster than before now, with players from the previously most represented decades taking the biggest hit. Not saying this is right or wrong, just worth chewing on.

Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,418

Post#9 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 10:47 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:So with the run of modern players recently, I want to get my head around the scale of it, and am going to post my analysis here:

1990s - 9
1980s - 11
1970s - 16
1960s - 14
1950s - 8
1940s - 11
1930s - 6
1920s - 3

Sort of interesting to think who might be the first player born in the 2000's to make it(though it might not be until a project in 2029).
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,875

Post#10 » by eminence » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:06 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:So with the run of modern players recently, I want to get my head around the scale of it, and am going to post my analysis here:

1990s - 9
1980s - 11
1970s - 16
1960s - 14
1950s - 8
1940s - 11
1930s - 6
1920s - 3

Sort of interesting to think who might be the first player born in the 2000's to make it(though it might not be until a project in 2029).

Edwards is the only one I could see with a very slim shot for '26 if he leads the Wolves well to end this season and the next two.

Nobody else is in position with their teams to overcome the lack of longevity. Nobody is on a Tatum pace. Well, Wemby/Chet are, but they'll only have 3 seasons under their belts, so '29 will be their first crack at it, though it'll be even tougher by then.
I bought a boat.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:38 pm

eminence wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:

1990s - 9
1980s - 11
1970s - 16
1960s - 14
1950s - 8
1940s - 11
1930s - 6
1920s - 3

Edwards is the only one I could see with a very slim shot for '26 if he leads the Wolves well to end this season and the next two.

Nobody else is in position with their teams to overcome the lack of longevity. Nobody is on a Tatum pace. Well, Wemby/Chet are, but they'll only have 3 seasons under their belts, so '29 will be their first crack at it, though it'll be even tougher by then.

Good names. I think Haliburton deserves a shout out too.

OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,803

Post#12 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:07 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
eminence wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:

I don't know about 2026 necessarily, but some names that could be in the conversation at some points(besides those already mentioned):

Zion - One of the most hyped draft picks in recent memory; his health has been an issue, but he's played 50 out of 61 games so far this season and the Pelicans are the fifth seed in the West right now. He's a -7.8 on/off this season, but he's been positive in all other seasons. He's not there yet but certainly a name to keep an eye on.

Tyrese Maxey - He's only 23 and he's been the Sixers' second best player this season(and arguably last season) and appears to be keeping the Sixers afloat in Embiid's absence(fifth seed, ten games over .500, won their last two). He's scoring 26.1ppg on about league average efficiency(but 38% from 3 on 8 3PA per) while sustaining a ridiculous assist/turnover ratio(6.3apg to 1.7tpg). If the Sixers were to finally make a serious playoff run this season or next with him playing a big role, he could be a name to talk about.

LaMelo Ball - Very early yet but he could conceivably eventually be someone to talk about.

Paolo Banchero - This guy was getting some hype last season, but it seems like Holmgren and Wemby have already eclipsed him even though it's their first year and his second.

Evan Mobley - He was getting a lot of hype a couple years ago but seems to have plateaued, having not taken the third year leap. He's on a playoff team though, so if he were to step up in the playoffs, he might become a more interesting guy to talk about.

Of course, given my reluctance to consider younger/active guys, I think, barring one of them winning a championship, I probably wouldn't vote for any of them until 2029 at the earliest even if their resumes had merit before then.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,008

Post#13 » by OhayoKD » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:24 am

1990s - 9
1980s - 11
1970s - 16
1960s - 14
1950s - 8
1940s - 11
1930s - 6
1920s - 3

Since we do this every 3 years, we can't go back a perfect decade, but if we go back to 2014, that'd be 9 years ago. Here's how the Top 78 looked by birth decade then, along with the guys who've dropped off:

1980s - 6
1970s - 18 (Hill, Iverson, Marion) (Billups jumped up)
1960s - 17 (Wilkins, Worthy, KJ)
1950s - 14 (McAdoo, English, Dantley, King, Moncrief, Nance)
1940s - 12 (Tiny)
1930s - 7 (Sam)
1920s - 4 (Cousy)

We definitely seem to be seeing younger modern players jumping in a bit faster than before now, with players from the previously most represented decades taking the biggest hit. Not saying this is right or wrong, just worth chewing on.

Seems like people born in the 60's and 70's are disproportionately represented on both lists anyway
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#14 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:50 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
eminence wrote:

I don't know about 2026 necessarily, but some names that could be in the conversation at some points(besides those already mentioned):

Zion - One of the most hyped draft picks in recent memory; his health has been an issue, but he's played 50 out of 61 games so far this season and the Pelicans are the fifth seed in the West right now. He's a -7.8 on/off this season, but he's been positive in all other seasons. He's not there yet but certainly a name to keep an eye on.

Tyrese Maxey - He's only 23 and he's been the Sixers' second best player this season(and arguably last season) and appears to be keeping the Sixers afloat in Embiid's absence(fifth seed, ten games over .500, won their last two). He's scoring 26.1ppg on about league average efficiency(but 38% from 3 on 8 3PA per) while sustaining a ridiculous assist/turnover ratio(6.3apg to 1.7tpg). If the Sixers were to finally make a serious playoff run this season or next with him playing a big role, he could be a name to talk about.

LaMelo Ball - Very early yet but he could conceivably eventually be someone to talk about.

Paolo Banchero - This guy was getting some hype last season, but it seems like Holmgren and Wemby have already eclipsed him even though it's their first year and his second.

Evan Mobley - He was getting a lot of hype a couple years ago but seems to have plateaued, having not taken the third year leap. He's on a playoff team though, so if he were to step up in the playoffs, he might become a more interesting guy to talk about.

Of course, given my reluctance to consider younger/active guys, I think, barring one of them winning a championship, I probably wouldn't vote for any of them until 2029 at the earliest even if their resumes had merit before then.

So, my general rule of thumb for what to expect in these project is this, while recalling that we only do these every 3 years so you don't get a chance as soon as you're qualified a good chunk of the time:

Making the 100 in 5 years or less is an unusually fast rise to prominence.
Making the 100 in 6 to 8 years is in general what we expect from guys who make the list.
Making the 100 only after your 9th year is a slow burn.

So in 2026 this will be the expected series counts for guys:

Luka, Shai and the 2018 crowd will have completed 8 years.
Ja, Garland and the 2019 crowd will have completed 7.
Ant, the Tyreses, and the 2020 crowd along with Zion will have completed 6.
Scottie, Mobley and the 2021 crowd will have completed 5
Paolo, Kessler and the 2022 crowd will have completed 4.
Wemby, Lively and the 2023 crowd along with Chet will have completed 3.

My guess would be that no only in the 5 or less category will make the list, but we'll certainly be watching Wemby.
My guess would that Luka, Shai, and quite possibly a couple others from these cohorts will make it.

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,815

Post#15 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:33 am

Vote: Bill Walton

Alternate Vote: Cliff Hagan

Two high peak players. Their sample sizes for excellence are a little small for my liking, but there is also the case of me not being a overly impressed with the competition. Cousy, Iverson, and Dantley have bigger warts in their games. I am not sure if I really would take a full career of Cousey for a couple injury prone years of Walton - certainly an interesting question. I do subconsciously take into account college play if I think the level of play is high enough which may affect my ranking of Walton.

I'll go with the playoff heroics of these two guys for now.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,623

Post#16 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:41 pm

There are only a handful of things I feel strongly about when it comes to the top 100, and Walton not making the cut is one of them. He's the outlier example of a player who absolutely deserves to shine in a peaks project, but not here. I've always voted for him highly in those.

While everyone has different criteria, we're still looking at careers here and Walton just doesn't have much of one. Even if I wasn't a longevity guy, he still doesn't really match say active players with very strong primes or even other all time greats with durability issues.

He cracked 70 games played once in his career, his second to last season when he won 6th man of the year playing 19.3 MPG. He missed 3 full seasons due to injury. In the 10 seasons he did appear in an NBA game, he played in 35 or less in 4 of them. His peak was no doubt incredible as I said. But the severe lack of availability ultimately hurt his teams between Portland and Boston where he didn't make a single playoff appearance.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,815

Post#17 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:02 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:There are only a handful of things I feel strongly about when it comes to the top 100, and Walton not making the cut is one of them. He's the outlier example of a player who absolutely deserves to shine in a peaks project, but not here. I've always voted for him highly in those.

While everyone has different criteria, we're still looking at careers here and Walton just doesn't have much of one. Even if I wasn't a longevity guy, he still doesn't really match say active players with very strong primes or even other all time greats with durability issues.

He cracked 70 games played once in his career, his second to last season when he won 6th man of the year playing 19.3 MPG. He missed 3 full seasons due to injury. In the 10 seasons he did appear in an NBA game, he played in 35 or less in 4 of them. His peak was no doubt incredible as I said. But the severe lack of availability ultimately hurt his teams between Portland and Boston where he didn't make a single playoff appearance.

Well, I don't think it's news that Walton had a couple of seasons in the NBA. He sure made them count though.
penbeast0

Post#18 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:14 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:There are only a handful of things I feel strongly about when it comes to the top 100, and Walton not making the cut is one of them. He's the outlier example of a player who absolutely deserves to shine in a peaks project, but not here. I've always voted for him highly in those.

Well, I don't think it's news that Walton had a couple of seasons in the NBA. He sure made them count though.

In terms of making it to the playoffs as a starter, Walton didn't have "a couple of seasons," he had one. He had one other season of over 60 games as a starter and one as a reserve.

In those seasons, he was terrific, exactly the type of player I love with defense and passing rather than high scoring being his trademarks. But while he's a legit candidate for top 10 all time peak season, he's got nothing else and I can't see him above a "pretty good for a long time" guy like Larry Nance, Shawn Marion, or even contemporary (and multiple ABA champion) Mel Daniels.

The rest of his career, he demanded to be paid like a HOF superstar, that teams be built around him, then broke down again and again leaving those teams (Portland and the Clippers) to flounder. He finally accepted a reserve role on the ATG candidate Bird/McHale/Parish Celtics only to break down again after one year as an all time great reserve. That's just not enough for this level of competition.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,319

Post#19 » by trex_8063 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 12:21 am

Induction vote: Bob Cousy
Been waiting forever to have this guy on the ballot. Far overdue for the guy who was literally THE face of the PG position (and probably the best to grace the position as well) until Oscar/West showed up.
Was a notable piece of SEVEN contender teams, winning six titles, and led some winning teams prior to that.

He stands extra tall in terms of both media-awarded and player/peer-awarded accolades, fwiw:
*There are only 16 players in NBA/ABA history with as many or more All-Star selections......and all of them were LONG since inducted.
**There are only 11 players in NBA/ABA history with as many or more All-NBA selections.......and all of them were LONG since inducted.
***He's one of only 5 NBA MVP's who have yet to be inducted......though among them, only he and Iverson actually played 29k+ minutes in his career.

People look to knock his offense, but he anchored or co-anchored not one, not two, but THREE #1 offenses in the early-mid 50s (plus another #2-rated offense).
The +5.0 rORTG in '54 is [to this day, including current team] the 4th-best rORTG in franchise history. In terms of proportion above league average, it's actually 3rd, behind only the '88 Celtics and the current '24 Celtics.
And based on faulty methodology toward estimating turnovers, it's entirely possible that there are actually only two negative rORTG's in his career [read below], BOTH occurring in his post-prime as his minutes dwindle [and KC Jones' increase]: '61 and '63.
And the first year after his departure is [officially, at least] the worst in franchise history.

He was not good enough [apparently] to be the best player on a title-winning team........though that hardly seems a disqualifier given I think that this is arguably true of literally EVERY CANDIDATE we have presently on the ballot, not to mention several [or all??] of the last handful of inducted players: Kyle Lowry wasn't either, nor was Bobby Jones or Rasheed Wallace; and most likely Lillard and George weren't/aren't either.

His prime/career WOWYR are +4.4 and +3.9, respectively. One poster has suggested this leans too heavily on the "before he arrived" sample (from '50), since he didn't miss much time in his prime. Though I also note the following WOWY (W/L only) in his career:
'55: 36-35 [.507] with, 0-1 without
'57: 41-23 [.641] with, 3-5 [.375] without
'58 (a noted down year within his prime): 44-21 [.677] with, 5-2 [.714] without
'59: 48-17 [.738] with, 4-3 [.571] without
'61: 56-20 [.737] with, 1-2 [.333] without
'62: 56-19 [.747] with, 4-1 [.800] without
'63: 55-21 [.724] with, 3-1 [.750] without

Overall in these years (even inclusive of post-prime years): 336-156 [.683] with, 20-15 [.571] without (equiv of >9 wins added to an already winning team). Yeah, I didn't investigate SRS or parallel injuries, but it may already be seen as supporting that his WOWYR isn't just smoke and mirrors.

I'd like to take a moment to talk about the seeming poor offenses in the Russell-era, which is often a fixation of his critics (while they ignore the elite offenses that came prior).
I'd mentioned that the pace-mandate [from Red] necessitated a lot of [bad] shots early in the shotclock, which were frequently taken by the guy(s) handling the ball. This contributes to both poorish team offense, and [arguably] to Cousy's own shooting efficiency.

@ Owly:
It was mentioned that Red always wanted to push the pace, even pre-Russell. So why didn't it affect things in that pre-Russell time period?
Well, I'd done a correlation study, looking at relative pace vs rORTG year-by-year........and I found that there seems to be a "tipping point" or critical threshold: a pace threshold where if you're trying to push significantly past it [faster], it is to the detriment of your offense.
I noted that a very faint correlation begins to appear in years where the league-average pace is >107 (that is: where increasing rPace corresponded with worsening rORTG [or where slowing rPace corresponded with better rORTG]).
The correlation looks more reliable ["real"] in seasons where the league average pace was >115.

Which makes some sense conceptually: every possession cannot be a transition opportunity; so to maintain certain "extreme" paces, it requires taking whatever first shot presents itself (which---it goes without saying, I think---that many of those will be low quality).

And what's more, I found the OPPOSITE effect when dealing with really sluggish paces: in years were the league average pace was <92, increasing rPace was mildly correlated with INCREASING rORTG (or stated alternately: playing SLOWER than this already sluggish league-average resulted in WORSENING offense).
This too kinda makes some sense, as paces around 90 and lower almost necessitates a relative lack of transition, necessitates ALWAYS giving the defense ample time to set-up in the half-court, and likely represents relatively little offensive flow and off-ball movement (because if you WERE moving, good shots would [at least once in awhile] present themselves early in the shotclock: and then your pace wouldn't be lagging around 85-90).

So when did Boston's individual pace tip above that 115 threshold? As it turns out: '57, the year Russell arrived.
What year did the league average (which Boston was ALWAYS well-ahead of) top 115? Well, it hit 117 in '58, dropped back to 112 for one year in '59, then bounced to >120 in '60, where it remained for a few years.
The Celtics played at an estimated pace of 125 or higher for Cousy's last FIVE seasons straight (and was 124.8 the year before that). In terms of relative to league avg, the SLOWEST pace in those years was a +7.8 rPace (one of only two years that were <+10 rPace).

The mantra I remember from my youth was "work the ball around, find a good shot".
For the Celtics of this era it was "shoot the damn ball already! don't slow the game down!"

So yes, I contest that such extremes were hurting their offense. (EDIT: btw, I mentiond the THREE #1 offenses, plus a #2 offense......the ONLY pre-Russell/prime Cousy year in which the Celtics were NOT #1 or #2 offensively was in '56, when their pace had jumped to nearly that 115 threshold [at 114.5, which was +11.7 to the league avg]; they were still 3rd that year)

I've further commented that the pace listed on bbref [and thus the rORTG/rDRTG data] is all estimated, because certain statistics were not yet recorded......such as turnovers. Turnovers were estimated largely based upon how many shots a team was taking: it was basically assumed that if you're getting "X" number of shots off, than it must correspond with a proportionate amount of turnovers.
But what if----because you're shooting early in the clock---you have less opportunity to turn the ball over (as has been suggested for these Russell-era Celtic teams)? Why, that would mean the pace estimate on bbref is HIGHER than reality!.......and thus that the ORtg listed is LOWER than reality (and the DRtg HIGHER than reality). Having logged some Celtic games from the early 60s, I could buy this as valid, since it does not appear as frenetic [visually] as circa-135 pace would suggest.

Take '59 as an example: Celtics supposedly had a 128.7 pace (way the hell out in front of league avg [by +16.7!], with a -0.4 rORTG [5th of 8 teams]. Suppose that within that pace estimate bbref is OVER-estimating their turnovers by a rate of just 2 turnovers per 48 minutes [1 per half]........that mis-estimation alone would mean their ORtg was actually +1.4 better than estimated (and their DRtg was also +1.4 worse). They'd still be comfortably the best DRtg in the league, but now have a slightly above avg ORtg [which is now ranked 4th of 8].
The result of such mis-estimations (of just 2 turnovers/48 minutes) could mean that the Celtics never actually had a negative rORTG until '61 (perhaps non-coincidentally at the time when Cousy [at 32 years old] is beginning to dwindle into his post-prime). It's even possible that the Celtics actually only had two negative rORTG's in his career: '61 and '63.

What's more, I don't believe Red ever criticized Cousy's defense or defensive effort (something which cannot be said for Cliff Hagan, fwiw).

(NOTE: I may swap these two, pending vote specs, as they're adjacent on my list, and to me are far and away the most deserving candidates on the ballot)
Alternate vote: Allen Iverson (SKEPTICS: PLEASE READ)
penbeast0 wrote:
Spoiler:
I have credited Iverson with both scorer's gravity and his ability to avoid turnovers. It's a real thing; he doesn't try to pass the ball unless his teammates are pretty wide open and he has excellent handles in traffic. I don't see him getting the ball to his teammates in THEIR sweet spots, only if he draws attention and they are left open. Or do his teammates just go stand around on the perimeter knowing that even if they make great cuts or get to their sweet spots, Iverson will go 1 on 3 down the middle and only kick it to them if they are standing still and open (obviously an exaggeration but a real effect). You are calling him a great playmaker, I'm not seeing it. While I agree that it doesn't matter how you create offensive efficiency as long as you do so, does Iverson create offensive efficiency for his team the way a great playmaker like a Steve Nash does?

The following isn't to be seen as "coming at you"; merely using this recent quote as a jumping point, because this is common type of argument that comes up with Iverson.....

Obviously he's not the calibre of offensive engine that Steve Nash was (nor has anyone said so).......if he were, we would not be discussing him right now (because he'd have been off the table dozens of places ago).
Nash is someone this very panel inducted 55 places ago (55!), despite the fact that he's even worse on defense, and barely has a notable edge in meaningful longevity.
The fact that Iverson doesn't compare very well to HIM is little more than a misdirect (whether that was the intention or not): it seems like it should function as an argument against considering Iverson here, but in truth it's not.

And this happens a lot on this forum where Allen Iverson is concerned: I was digging through some archived conversations and I found one [where I was again championing Iverson], and when talking about his floor-raising potential the argument thrown at me was that he couldn't lift the floor as well as '06 Kobe or '87 Jordan. Seriously?

If negative counterpoint arguments require referencing players that were inducted 50+ places ago, that should [imo] be a red-flag that one might be struggling for actual sound reasons to NOT support him.

I found an old metric I'd archived Iverson's rank (Estimated Impact by shutupandjam: combines box and +/-, and I think some semblance of team differential)......

Estimated Impact League Rank (remember: this is a rate metric, and Iverson plays more minutes than 95+% of those ahead)
'99--->15th
'00--->29th
'01--->8th
'02--->15th
'03--->18th
'04--->30th
'05--->14th
'06--->16th
'07--->34th
'08--->17th

And now I want to talk a bit about '01 (well......and actually the rest of his prime).
It is often said by his critics that he gets too much mileage out of the narrative around that season: the [undeserved] MVP, the "carried a bunch of role players to the Finals", and so on. With the counterpoint being that they didn't have to defeat any notable monster teams to get to the finals, and the "that team won with their defense and Iverson's a weak defender, so...." arguments.

To the first, it's true: he does get way too much mileage from casual fans on the basis of that narrative.......it's why he's often miscast as this top 25 player all-time in the mainstream.
Here on this forum, he does NOT get too much mileage from that narrative (which is why we're only beginning to discuss him out past #75).

As to the "that team won with their defense and Iverson's a weak defender, so....." arguments: these are only slightly more nuanced [or accurate] than the "he carried a bunch of role players" arguments.

But first----just to show I'm not tunnel-visioned on that one season----I'll share what I found looking at basically his entire prime in Philly:
WOWY[u] (I looked at every single game Iverson missed from '99-'06 [and can share the game-by-game data upon request], noting how the team without him vs with him)
Here's how it looks each year (SUMMARY below, if you don't want to look at year-by-year):
[u]’99

0-2 record w/o, 28-20 (.583) record with.
Sixer avg 83.0 ppg w/o him, 89.9 ppg with (+6.9 ppg).
47.5 TS% w/o him, 49.5 TS% with (+2.0%).
97.4 ORtg w/o, 100.0 ORtg with (+2.6).
-12.04 SRS w/o, +3.17 SRS with (+15.21).

’00
7-5 (.583) w/o, 42-28 (.600) with
85.4 ppg without him, 96.4 ppg with him (+11.0 ppg).
46.9 TS% without him, 50.6 TS% with him (+3.7%).
94.7 ORtg w/o him, 102.7 ORtg with him (+8.0).
-1.69 SRS w/o him, +1.48 SRS with him (+3.17).

’01
6-5 (.545) w/o, 50-21 (.704) with
88.8 ppg w/o him, 95.6 with (+6.8 ppg).
51.6 TS% w/o, 51.8 TS% with (+0.2%).
103.2 ORtg w/o, 103.7 ORtg with (+0.5).
+0.48 SRS w/o, +4.12 SRS with him (+3.63).

’02
7-15 (.318) w/o, 36-24 (.600) with
84.7 ppg w/o, 93.3 ppg with (+8.6 ppg).
49.1 TS% w/o, 50.7 TS% with (+1.6%).
100.2 ORtg w/o, 102.8 ORtg with (+2.6).
-4.18 SRS w/o, +3.27 SRS with him (+7.45).

'03: no missed games

’04---banged up much of year, missed 34 games; outlier bad year when he did play
14-20 (.412) w/o, 19-29 (.396) with
85.1 ppg w/o, 90.0 ppg with (+4.9 ppg).
50.8 TS% w/o, 50.3 TS% with (-0.5%)
100.3 ORtg w/o, 98.3 ORtg with (-2.0).
-2.54 SRS w/o, -3.24 with him (-0.70).

’05
2-5 (.286) w/o, 41-34 (.547) with
95.9 ppg w/o, 99.4 ppg with (+3.5 ppg).
52.6 TS% w/o, 52.8 TS% with (+0.2%).
101.6 ORtg w/o, 103.7 ORtg with (+2.1).
-0.60 SRS w/o, -1.11 with him (-0.51).

’06
3-7 (.300) w/o, 35-37 (.486) with
90.9 ppg w/o, 100.5 ppg with (+9.6 ppg).
53.1 TS% w/o, 53.9 TS% with (+0.8%).
103.9 ORtg w/o, 106.3 ORtg with (+2.4).
-5.59 SRS w/o, -1.62 with him (+3.97).

SUMMARY
AVERAGE effect of having Iverson vs. not having him over these years:
NOT weighted for games played/missed
+7.3 ppg
+1.1% TS%
+2.3 ORtg
+4.61 SRS
Weighted for games PLAYED
+7.4 ppg
+1.2% TS%
+2.5 ORtg
+4.21 SRS
Weighted for games MISSED (the outlier bad year in '04 drags this weighted group down)
+7.1 ppg
+0.8% TS%
+1.4 ORtg
+2.90 SRS

Overall with/without during prime in Philly: 39-59 record (.398) without, 251-193 record (.565) with him (avg of +13.7 wins per 82-game season [and roughly +4 SRS boost]).

And again: '04 was a definitive outlier within this time period; he was playing banged up and performing well below his usual standard. If I can cherry-pick a little and remove that year from consideration.....
AVERAGE effect of having Iverson vs. not having him during '99-'02, '05 and '06: (that's still a 6-YEAR sample)
NOT weighted for # of games played in each season
+7.8 ppg
+1.4% TS%
+3.0 ORtg
+5.49 SRS
WEIGHTED for games played
+7.7 ppg
+1.4% TS%
+3.0 ORtg
+4.81 SRS
WEIGHTED for games missed
+8.3 ppg
+1.5% TS%
+3.2 ORtg
+4.82 SRS
25-39 record (.391) without, 232-164 record (.586) with: avg of +16 wins per 82-game season (and roughly +5 boost on SRS).

So actually it looks like he's providing pretty substantial [even "super-star"] lift straight through his prime, with the exception of '04.

Circling back to '01.....

It's been vaguely stated that he should have "passed more" or "shot less". Looking at that roster, specifically WHO is he supposed to defer to [more often]? Who's he going to allow to shoulder some of the creation on this roster? Who is going to make shots if they're found open?
Even with all the gravity he possesses (as OhayoKD illustrated previously), this team was still only 28th [of 29] in 3PA, and making only 32.6% [26th of 29]. The rest of the team [outside of Iverson] took just 5.5 3PA/game, and made just 33.0% (despite ~94% of them being assisted).
He didn't even have shooters/shot-makers/floor-spreaders, much less other creators.

And regarding them "winning with their defense": that's true only to an extent (more on that in a moment). But first, again looking at their roster make-up, we really should expect a good defense, no?
The other starting guard is Eric Snow: an extremely limited offensive PG, but very good defensively (sort of what his career was built around).
The starting forwards were George Lynch and Tyrone Hill: good offensive rebounders, but otherwise fairly poor [to terrible??] offensive players. Their entire careers were built around defense and rebounding.
Then at C they had either Ratliff or Mutombo: an ELITE level rim-protector.
They had some capable defensive guards off the bench, too, in Aaron McKie and Kevin Ollie [I mean, Kevin Ollie only had a career AT ALL because he was sort of decent defensively].

So being good defensively is sort of a ldo, isn't it?

When looking at the OFFENSIVE cast, however.......honestly, the image that pops into my head is that of an intimate theater audience, ALL of whom are very familiar with the players of that era, though weirdly have no knowledge of the assembled teams.
You're on stage, and your act is to get them enthusiastic about how the '01 Sixers were built for offense, by relating who the BEST offensive players on the team were......

You: "Firstly, they had Allen Iverson."
(some impressed murmurs ripple through the audience, as people kind of look at each other nodding and shrugging as if to say "that's a decent start")
You: "They also had late-prime Toni Kukoc, though only up to the All-Star break."
(few glances about the audience, seeming to say "OK, whatever")
You (unsure who to next mention): "And........Aaron McKie and late-prime Dikembe Mutombo???"
(..........[cough]..........)
You: "And Todd MacCulloch."
(.....[crickets]; audience now appears to regret paying admission to this show......)

There's just no one else on this team where offense is concerned. That they actually managed to be a better than average offense [+0.6 rORTG, 13th of 29 teams] AT ALL with that cast is truly a credit to Iverson.

And harkening back to when I said "won with defense" was only true to an extent, it's worth pointing out that this is only in looking at the rs. In the playoffs, the paradigm basically flipped.

Here's how the Philly performed on offense and defense in each round, relative to the ORtg/DRtg faced:

1st round (Indiana, won 3-1): +5.6 rORTG, -1.4 rDRTG
ECSF (Toronto, won 4-3): +5.4 rORTG, +2.1 rDRTG (remember positive is bad in rDRTG)
ECF (Milwaukee, won 4-3): +2.1 rORTG, -2.4 rDRTG
Finals (LAL, lost 4-1): -2.2 rORTG, +1.6 rDRTG

Summary: offense performed better than defense by fairly sizable 4.2 in the first round, by a whopping 7.5 in the second round, only 0.3 worse than the defense in the ECF, and only 0.6 worse than the defense in the Finals.

Their average rORTG was around +2.8 in the playoffs, while their average defense was +/- 0. i.e. NOT winning with their defense.

Anyway, I'll stop there for now.
It's overdue for Iverson, imo. I know he's way overrated in the mainstream, and I know his persona is off-putting to some. I'm not a fan. But it's simply overdue.

Nomination: Tony Parker
Alt Nomination: Larry Nance
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0

Post#20 » by penbeast0 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:12 am

To be fair, the claim I was refuting was that Iverson was an all time great playmaker. I never claimed his playmaking had zero value.

Return to Player Comparisons