Who is Zach Edey's best historical NBA comparison?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,199

Re: Who is Zach Edey's best historical NBA comparison? 

Post#21 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:00 am

penbeast0 wrote:He made Boban look like Sarr.

Are you on the Sarr bandwagon?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 494

Post#22 » by giordunk » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:58 am

a more bruiser ish less skilled Yao Ming
i like peanuts
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#23 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:47 am

Big Country Bryant Reeves.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,771

Post#24 » by penbeast0 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:07 pm

Colbinii wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:He made Boban look like Sarr.

Are you on the Sarr bandwagon?

I have found that I am one of the worst draft predictors out there; I don't watch enough college or European ball to make an informed judgement so I don't try and just hope my team knows what they are doing.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,850

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:00 pm

Colbinii wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:He's Yao Ming with longer arms and people don't want to say this because it makes them depressed that so much time has passed and so much change has happened that Yao would not be able to play in the NBA anymore.

Comparing him to Boban is weird as Boban was never that good at any level and Edey was a ridiculously elite college player.

Like, he won PotY twice and drug a horrible Purdue team to the national championship game.

Boban is a weird comparison. Boban moves like a snail.

Both guys the slowest (by far) on the court every time they step on there. The next Edey transition bucket will be the first. The next Edey drive from the perimeter to the rim will be his first.

They effectively do the same things. Get deep, use size and skill to overwhelm offensively. Try to survive defensively with their rebounding their one saving grace.

No comparison is perfect. But this one is way better than Yao or Eaton or some of the others itt. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jdzimme3
Pro Prospect
And1: 305

Post#26 » by jdzimme3 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:08 pm

Reminds me of bogut. Dominate college big thay probably wont see similar success in the nba. If he played when bogut played he would likely be drafted like him too.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,984

Post#27 » by RCM88x » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:18 pm

Edy Tavares

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,113

Post#28 » by rk2023 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:21 pm

Crazy to say that Edey could come into the league right now and be better than AD on offense?
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
PurpleGreenGold
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#29 » by PurpleGreenGold » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:52 pm

I'm going to say Shawn Bradley. Both have a couple of offensive moves, both can sorta run the floor, both paint monsters in college. And both will be footnotes in NBA history, as in "oh yeah, I sorta remember that guy."
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,025

Post#30 » by Owly » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:00 pm

PurpleGreenGold wrote:I'm going to say Shawn Bradley. Both have a couple of offensive moves, both can sorta run the floor, both paint monsters in college. And both will be footnotes in NBA history, as in "oh yeah, I sorta remember that guy."

If Edey manages over a decade in the NBA with the majority of that as starter with a substantially positive impact footprint (big impact signal in 97-14 RAPM from memory and databall era RS on-off and 94 and 95 on-off approximates [96 not available due to trades]) driven by very strong defense that seems higher than most (idk whether rightly or not) and to posit his strengths very heavily towards the defensive end.
penbeast0
And1: 8,771

Post#31 » by penbeast0 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:34 pm

PurpleGreenGold wrote:I'm going to say Shawn Bradley. Both have a couple of offensive moves, both can sorta run the floor, both paint monsters in college. And both will be footnotes in NBA history, as in "oh yeah, I sorta remember that guy."

Monsters? I looked up Bradley and in college he was a 14.8/7.7/51.8fg% player. Bogut, Bryant Reeves roughly equivalent. Edey has been a monster in the NCAA, the other players named were drafted on size and potential but none had really been dominant before coming to the NBA though Bogut was college player of the year despite his numbers. The only guys who have won the award two or more times are Edey, Ralph Sampson, and Bill Walton (award started after Kareem became a pro). Even Duncan only won it once.

FWIW, though I see it as a bad comp, Bradley's best pro year was 13.2/8.4/.449fg%. IF Edey plays at an equivalent pro level, he would be putting up 23/13/55%. That's better than 2x All-NBA player Julius Randle in either of his All-NBA seasons even with defensive limitations. Someone will take the risk at some point I think.

Of course, Bradley was an excellent defender and rim protector in an age that still focused on midrange and post scoring despite all the poster memes. As I said, I see it as a bad comp.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,470

Post#32 » by D.Brasco » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:29 pm

penbeast0 wrote:

Monsters? I looked up Bradley and in college he was a 14.8/7.7/51.8fg% player. Bogut, Bryant Reeves roughly equivalent. Edey has been a monster in the NCAA, the other players named were drafted on size and potential but none had really been dominant before coming to the NBA though Bogut was college player of the year despite his numbers. The only guys who have won the award two or more times are Edey, Ralph Sampson, and Bill Walton (award started after Kareem became a pro). Even Duncan only won it once.

FWIW, though I see it as a bad comp, Bradley's best pro year was 13.2/8.4/.449fg%. IF Edey plays at an equivalent pro level, he would be putting up 23/13/55%. That's better than 2x All-NBA player Julius Randle in either of his All-NBA seasons even with defensive limitations. Someone will take the risk at some point I think.

Of course, Bradley was an excellent defender and rim protector in an age that still focused on midrange and post scoring despite all the poster memes. As I said, I see it as a bad comp.

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of people here downplaying Edey's college career. Whether you think he'll be an NBA star or not he's had one of the better college careers for a center in recent memory.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,775

Post#33 » by homecourtloss » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:45 pm

colts18 wrote:Enes Kanter

Eddy had more defensive awareness as a freshman than Enes did as a 30 year old. Kanter is more explosive, though, even if he is t relative to others in the league.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,984

Post#34 » by RCM88x » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:53 am

penbeast0 wrote:

In Bogut and Bradley's era, guys like them would enter the NBA draft much sooner because they were far more valued as prospects. Edey playing 4 years for someone his size is kind of an outlier in the last 30-40 years. I think that's a reflection of how the NBA game has changed. I also think the quality of talent in College basketball has dropped so far in the last couple decades. FWIW Bradley had a far better freshman year than Edey did, like not even comparable. Bogut probably did too. Just that in those guys eras they were projected as top players where Edey stayed in school.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
carlquincy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,172

Post#35 » by carlquincy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:06 am

Yao Ming. From highlights I've seen
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,310

Post#36 » by trex_8063 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:49 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:He's Yao Ming with longer arms and people don't want to say this because it makes them depressed that so much time has passed and so much change has happened that Yao would not be able to play in the NBA anymore.

Comparing him to Boban is weird as Boban was never that good at any level and Edey was a ridiculously elite college player.

Like, he won PotY twice and drug a horrible Purdue team to the national championship game.

????

Boban was the MVP of the Serbian League......3 times. Won a championship in the ABA [Adriatic] League, in which he was playoff MVP, several All-league Team selections in those leagues......
Weird statement to make.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd

Return to Player Comparisons