The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING)

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,154

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS) 

Post#701 » by Colbinii » Wed May 1, 2024 1:21 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
AEnigma wrote:I guess if no one else is going to say it, I may as well: regardless of whether there was any negative intent behind it, I do not see the purpose in bringing up family members during a deliberately adversarial conversation.

I don't think Colbinii meant it maliciously, but I do agree it's wisest to avoid these things.

There was 100% non malicious. VanWest has mentioned in the past how he was at his daughters basketball game.

I simply made a comment about how if the season is over for LeBron fans, it isn't over for me (Minnesota Fan) or Him (Daughters basketball league).

While you say it is adversarial, it's an internet forum where I can think someone is a dumbass, troll and waste of internet data storage but also understand they are human. I don't hate humans unless they are absolute vile beings who have done harm to many people or continuously lie to many people (think people like Luis Garavito or Bashar Al Assad or to a lesser extent Donald Trump as I am a US Citizen and Resident).

So when I brought up someone's family member, understanding the context is important. Clearly many people disagreed with it, but I find it most important when analyzing discourse is understanding intent. While we were in a back and forth (and at that point it was quite civil), nothing I said or did was mean, nasty, malicious or of ill-intent.

I'm obviously not going to bring up his or likely anyone's family members on here again unless it's in a positive light during a positive discussion, but it appears many people jumped to a conclusion that just because it's VanWest82 (Spends time hating a sports figure on the internet) vs Non-Hater, that it is malicious, and it wasn't.

If you think it's bad or crossed a line you should probably re-read the conversation from the beginning.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,664

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS) 

Post#702 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 1:24 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
rk2023 wrote:Idk about yall, but I do NOT want Trae or Murray in LA next year. Neither nor. Isn’t the same organization killer as trading for Westbrook, but it’s not gonna end well either way.

I agree with this. It's not the move to make honestly. I said it last year and throughout this season multiple times: they need a proper backup center.

I'm also done with Rui. Get him out of here. They need a PF a la Naz Reid.

If they could add Trae without getting rid of AD somehow, that would be a win for them in terms of giving them a last gasp with Lebron, though. Dunno what they'd reasonably have to give up, but that's a trio.

Trae's biggest problem is that he can't sustain volume scoring in the playoffs, but can still exert a strong level of offensive impact with his playmaking. You give him Lebron and AD to front the scoring load while he spaces and runs plays, they're going to look very, very good on O. You get them a coach who can exploit the Trae/Lebron pick and roll, and they'll be a nightmare to guard even with 40yo Lebron. Yes, their D will be horrific, but that might not matter.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,509

Post#703 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed May 1, 2024 1:44 pm

tsherkin wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
rk2023 wrote:Idk about yall, but I do NOT want Trae or Murray in LA next year. Neither nor. Isn’t the same organization killer as trading for Westbrook, but it’s not gonna end well either way.

I agree with this. It's not the move to make honestly. I said it last year and throughout this season multiple times: they need a proper backup center.

I'm also done with Rui. Get him out of here. They need a PF a la Naz Reid.

If they could add Trae without getting rid of AD somehow, that would be a win for them in terms of giving them a last gasp with Lebron, though. Dunno what they'd reasonably have to give up, but that's a trio.

Trae's biggest problem is that he can't sustain volume scoring in the playoffs, but can still exert a strong level of offensive impact with his playmaking. You give him Lebron and AD to front the scoring load while he spaces and runs plays, they're going to look very, very good on O. You get them a coach who can exploit the Trae/Lebron pick and roll, and they'll be a nightmare to guard even with 40yo Lebron. Yes, their D will be horrific, but that might not matter.

That last sentence is it. I'm just not convinced their potentially highly effective offense will make up for it. It'd depend on price, I guess.

The biggest positive takeaway these playoffs for the Lakers is Reaves, for me. While he had a pedestrian Games 1-2 on offense, he turned it on Games 3-5 and played very good defense on Murray the entire series. The latter to me was the best part and showed me that he could do it if he's asked to focus more on that end than on offense.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#704 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 1:49 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:That last sentence is it. I'm just not convinced their potentially highly effective offense will make up for it. It'd depend on price, I guess.

It would unquestionably be a gamble.

But this is also their last gasp with Lebron, and they aren't going to be doing a grand rebuild really quick anyhow.

The biggest positive takeaway these playoffs for the Lakers is Reaves, for me. While he had a pedestrian Games 1-2 on offense, he turned it on Games 3-5 and played very good defense on Murray the entire series. The latter to me was the best part and showed me that he could do it if he's asked to focus more on that end than on offense.

We'll see. He's been pretty up and down so far, especially compared to last season. LA definitely needs more defensive presence, but they need more health in their frontcourt depth as well. They need a lot of things, and some extra punch on O would take a lot of load off AD and Lebron, which could help as well.

Sometimes, you gotta go big and give it a shot, IMHO. It could have ramifications for a lengthy period after and might not work, though, so there is surely that to consider.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#705 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed May 1, 2024 1:54 pm

tsherkin wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:That last sentence is it. I'm just not convinced their potentially highly effective offense will make up for it. It'd depend on price, I guess.

It would unquestionably be a gamble.

But this is also their last gasp with Lebron, and they aren't going to be doing a grand rebuild really quick anyhow.

We'll see. He's been pretty up and down so far, especially compared to last season. LA definitely needs more defensive presence, but they need more health in their frontcourt depth as well. They need a lot of things, and some extra punch on O would take a lot of load off AD and Lebron, which could help as well.

Sometimes, you gotta go big and give it a shot, IMHO. It could have ramifications for a lengthy period after and might not work, though, so there is surely that to consider.

I said it many times last year: if they go for Trey, I really think they need to go a bit bigger and grab Capela as well. I think he'd be a great piece to help fit.

The only thing that should make them halt on Trey + Capela I think is if another star wants out to LAL specifically (eg. Mitchell, Irving, KD). While Irving is a gamble and KD is older, the latter two on talent only are still preferred (price-dependent, of course).
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#706 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 1:57 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:I said it many times last year: if they go for Trey, I really think they need to go a bit bigger and grab Capela as well. I think he'd be a great piece to help fit.

The only thing that should make them halt on Trey + Capela I think is if another star wants out to LAL specifically (eg. Mitchell, Irving, KD). While Irving is a gamble and KD is older, the latter two on talent only are still preferred (price-dependent, of course).

If they could, that'd be a solid plan for sure. I don't think Kyrie is gonna leave Dallas. KD, if he could be had at an affordable tag would be a very interesting addition, also. That would be one hell of a last gasp, that pairing.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#707 » by Colbinii » Wed May 1, 2024 2:00 pm

tsherkin wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:I said it many times last year: if they go for Trey, I really think they need to go a bit bigger and grab Capela as well. I think he'd be a great piece to help fit.

If they could, that'd be a solid plan for sure. I don't think Kyrie is gonna leave Dallas. KD, if he could be had at an affordable tag would be a very interesting addition, also. That would be one hell of a last gasp, that pairing.

I think a player the Lakers acquire [assuming LeBron stays] is going to be on this list.

The players they can get without giving any valuable assets include guys like Malcolm Brogdon, Bruce Brown, Nikola Vucevic, Kevin Huerter, Grant Williams and Jordan Clarkson.

I like giving up some minor-to-medium assets though for guys like Dorian Finney-Smith, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Jerami Grant, C.J. McCollum and Alex Caruso.

I actually really like the idea of adding Vucevic, Caruso and (Malcolm) Brogdon.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#708 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed May 1, 2024 2:01 pm

tsherkin wrote:

I don't see how Phoenix gets better, at this point. They're going to run back the same squad with a Beal and KD that are both a year older, not to mention Gordon, a newly-extended Grayson Allen which pretty much locks 'em up from making any salary moves, no assets for trades, etc.

If I'm KD, I see this clearly and go, "What do I do?"

That said, I don't think he's going to ask for a trade this offseason, to be clear. I actually think the most likely trade partner is Cleveland with Mitchell. Given he hasn't extended yet, the question mark looms large.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#709 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed May 1, 2024 2:02 pm

Colbinii wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

I think a player the Lakers acquire [assuming LeBron stays] is going to be on this list.

The players they can get without giving any valuable assets include guys like Malcolm Brogdon, Bruce Brown, Nikola Vucevic, Kevin Huerter, Grant Williams and Jordan Clarkson.

I like giving up some minor-to-medium assets though for guys like Dorian Finney-Smith, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Jerami Grant, C.J. McCollum and Alex Caruso.

I actually really like the idea of adding Vucevic, Caruso and (Malcolm) Brogdon.

I don't really like the idea of Vucevic. His 3PT% has really tanked the last few seasons. Caruso and Brogdon, I love. That'd be tremendous. The only problem with them is their health. Just always getting hurt...
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#710 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 2:20 pm

Colbinii wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

None of those guys would make a real difference, IMHO.

PistolPeteJR wrote:I don't see how Phoenix gets better, at this point. They're going to run back the same squad with a Beal and KD that are both a year older, not to mention Gordon, a newly-extended Grayson Allen which pretty much locks 'em up from making any salary moves, no assets for trades, etc.

That said, I don't think he's going to ask for a trade this offseason, to be clear. I actually think the most likely trade partner is Cleveland with Mitchell. Given he hasn't extended yet, the question mark looms large.

Right? Interesting to consider, but I don't think LA will happen for KD. But if it did, man. Can you imagine if he signed a cheapie 1-year deal with them just to see what could happen?
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,817

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING) 

Post#711 » by Mos_Heat » Wed May 1, 2024 2:21 pm

GSP wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think it's impossible to come up with even sadder list
:reporter:
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#712 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed May 1, 2024 2:24 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

None of those guys would make a real difference, IMHO.

PistolPeteJR wrote:I don't see how Phoenix gets better, at this point. They're going to run back the same squad with a Beal and KD that are both a year older, not to mention Gordon, a newly-extended Grayson Allen which pretty much locks 'em up from making any salary moves, no assets for trades, etc.

Right? Interesting to consider, but I don't think LA will happen for KD. But if it did, man. Can you imagine if he signed a cheapie 1-year deal with them just to see what could happen?

Lol in July 2026?

It's going to be an interesting offseason... Woj just reported LeBron's no longer prioritizing playing with Bronny.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#713 » by Colbinii » Wed May 1, 2024 2:25 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

I don't really like the idea of Vucevic. His 3PT% has really tanked the last few seasons. Caruso and Brogdon, I love. That'd be tremendous. The only problem with them is their health. Just always getting hurt...

You're probably right about Vuc, but he gives AD and LeBron the ability to rest more.

I think they need to hit on the minimum players they sign. I could see a Kevin Love and Cedi Osman re-union.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#714 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 2:27 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:Lol in July 2026?

The last ride Wyatt Earp and his Immortals? xD

It's going to be an interesting offseason... Woj just reported LeBron's no longer prioritizing playing with Bronny.

Yeah, well, we shall see. If nothing else, it'll give us something to rant about through the offseason xD
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,580

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING) 

Post#715 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 1, 2024 2:47 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:
GSP wrote:
Read on Twitter

People who may not follow closely don’t realize the utter hilarity of that list. Juwan freaking Howard the guy who can’t even coach a good team at Michigan and led them to a losing season, lol, Steve Clifford my team’s coach who has a 1990s offensive scheme and led the Hornets to a league worst net rating? He is being transferred into a front office role lol. Honestly the entire list is ridiculous.
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#716 » by Greatness » Wed May 1, 2024 3:01 pm

The list is so bad that LeBron himself is on it lmao
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#717 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 3:17 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:
GSP wrote:
Read on Twitter

People who may not follow closely don’t realize the utter hilarity of that list. Juwan freaking Howard the guy who can’t even coach a good team at Michigan and led them to a losing season, lol, Steve Clifford my team’s coach who has a 1990s offensive scheme and led the Hornets to a league worst net rating? He is being transferred into a front office role lol. Honestly the entire list is ridiculous.

That is brutal.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,915

Post#718 » by Heej » Wed May 1, 2024 3:29 pm

Any chance we get LeExpendables? I don't think people understand how much demand there is among NBA fandom to see the old man trio team up for their final stretch
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#719 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 3:50 pm

Heej wrote:Any chance we get LeExpendables? I don't think people understand how much demand there is among NBA fandom to see the old man trio team up for their final stretch

If they stayed healthy, that sort of thing could be fun.

I think the most hilarious thing, which will never happen of course, would be Lebron and KD with Steph on the Warriors xD
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#720 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed May 1, 2024 4:10 pm

Colbinii wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

You're probably right about Vuc, but he gives AD and LeBron the ability to rest more.

I think they need to hit on the minimum players they sign. I could see a Kevin Love and Cedi Osman re-union.

Cedi could be useful. I don't want KLove.

Return to Player Comparisons