The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING)

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,528

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING) 

Post#821 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri May 3, 2024 5:36 pm

Heej wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Darvin Ham outcoached both Taylor Jenkins and Steve Kerr in playoff series. And I do not mean that he won the series, no, he countered their counters and adjusted to them and got the upper hand tactically in both series.

That is not something that should just be wiped aside.

He's a great assistant coach. I've always said the gameplans have been relatively on point. He's just not good at momentum management unfortunately which is probably one of the main skills a head coach needs.

This is it. His gameplan adjustments have been on point come playoff time, but tbh the idea that the team should play drop in PnR and give up 3s all season in this day and age really hurt. Was he employing that because he was convinced we didn't have the personnel to defend differently and this was the lesser of two evils? Maybe.
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,366

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING) 

Post#822 » by TroubleS0me » Fri May 3, 2024 5:56 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers have interest J.J. Redick lol.
LBJ knew what he was doing lol with this podcast.
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,366

Post#823 » by TroubleS0me » Fri May 3, 2024 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,932

Post#825 » by Heej » Fri May 3, 2024 6:34 pm

Kenny Atkinson would be an interesting choice from the Xs and Os perspective. I'm extremely disinterested in Bud. A Lue reunion makes the most sense right now to me unless someone else shakes loose.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,101

Post#826 » by rk2023 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:36 pm

Heej wrote:Kenny Atkinson would be an interesting choice from the Xs and Os perspective. I'm extremely disinterested in Bud. A Lue reunion makes the most sense right now to me unless someone else shakes loose.

Elaborate on Atkinson please?
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#827 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri May 3, 2024 6:36 pm

Heej wrote:Kenny Atkinson would be an interesting choice from the Xs and Os perspective. I'm extremely disinterested in Bud. A Lue reunion makes the most sense right now to me unless someone else shakes loose.

I'd really like Joerger to be on the bench for defense. I'd also like Atkinson there for the Xs and Os. But in terms of head coach, I think either try and pry Lue or get Stotts.
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,295

Post#828 » by dcstanley » Fri May 3, 2024 8:34 pm

Read on Twitter

This is why I was in favor of trading Rui. Now, he had a damn good regular season and his shooting was a legitimate asset but he's just not capable of playing next to Bron and AD defensively.. Just too slow of foot laterally to guard 3s. Couple that with his lack of motor, force, and IQ and you have a guy who has no business guarding an elite off-ball shooter like MPJ or an offensive rebounding demon like Gordon.

Lakers need a connector willing to do the dirty work in that role. If OG was available this offseason I would have preferred a trade for him over Trae Young.
Heej
General Manager

Post#829 » by Heej » Fri May 3, 2024 8:40 pm

dcstanley wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is why I was in favor of trading Rui. Now, he had a damn good regular season and his shooting was a legitimate asset but he's just not capable of playing next to Bron and AD defensively.. Just too slow of foot laterally to guard 3s. Couple that with his lack of motor, force, and IQ and you have a guy who has no business guarding an elite off-ball shooter like MPJ or an offensive rebounding demon like Gordon.

Lakers need a connector willing to do the dirty work in that role. If OG was available this offseason I would have preferred a trade for him over Trae Young.

Yea that and the DLo slot seem like the obvious places to upgrade at
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Todeasy
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#830 » by Todeasy » Fri May 3, 2024 10:40 pm

Heej wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Heej wrote:Both are playoff droppers I fear

Mitchell isn't.

He kinda s*** the bed vs my Knicks last year. And I'm not too high on how he's playing this series.

From what I've seen/heard, he's injured and has been for quite some time.
Heej
General Manager

Post#831 » by Heej » Sat May 4, 2024 1:56 am

Todeasy wrote:
Heej wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Mitchell isn't.

He kinda s*** the bed vs my Knicks last year. And I'm not too high on how he's playing this series.

Hmm interesting. Appreciate the context
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#832 » by Colbinii » Sat May 4, 2024 1:57 am

Heej wrote:
Todeasy wrote:
Heej wrote:He kinda s*** the bed vs my Knicks last year. And I'm not too high on how he's playing this series.

Hmm interesting. Appreciate the context

He is also facing Jalen Suggs and the 2nd best defense
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,295

Post#833 » by dcstanley » Sat May 4, 2024 2:27 am

Mitchell likely isn't attainable but I would sell the farm for him. Probably the only rumored name I would gladly give up Reaves for.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,310

Post#834 » by trex_8063 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:31 am

penbeast0 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.
PaulieWal wrote:.
Doctor MJ wrote:.

homecourtloss wrote:With all due respect, I think the crux of the issue in the LeBron thread is very simple, and it is not about not allowing contrary opinions.

You have posters who have made it clear that they are “haters” and/or have made literally hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands—just run a search on one of the posters currently posting in this thread post the Denver loss) of posts attacking/disparaging James on various boards who then show up after a loss or otherwise down times and then want to somehow engage in some sort of discussion as if all the other posts don’t exist and/or somehow are coming from a civil/neutral stance. When posters who are here do not take those posts at face value given all background, they aren’t guilty of not allowing contrary opinions, but rather understanding what the poster in question is doing here in the first place. Posters here have been critical of James and his game in an analytic way for years and years but nobody reacts to them the same way they react to someone who posts non-stop hate on the GB.

PistolPeteJR wrote:The biggest problem I see is not that LeBron can’t be criticized (even though it seems with some users, it seems they get extra-defensive and can’t handle the fair criticisms, but they’re in the minority I’d say); the biggest problem is in the way certain users absolutely make it a point just to come in here to troll, bait, and make disingenuous arguments. Eventually, it gets exhausting and frustrating. We report, they get warnings, it doesn’t seem to matter much, or so it feels. In some cases, it does matter of course, given some get banned.:

This.

If you're that bothered, I suggest that the ignore function is your friend.

And if someone is truly [like: deliberately] trolling, I think there's wisdom to the "old" internet adage:

Spoiler:

A deliberate troll will get bored (if not fed).

And if someone is NOT deliberately trolling........well, that sort of limits what a moderator can [or even should] do about it. There's no forum rule against being bad at player analysis; and there's no rule against bias, either.
Those people are still given a place at the table (but we can choose to ignore them).

Bias and flawed analysis inject a considerable amount of grey area into our job as moderators, as much as people try to paint things as black & white (e.g. they made it a provocative bad argument-->they're obviously trolling).

But sometimes a bad take is just that: a bad take. The person may not be "trolling"; they may simply have a poor understanding about what carries value in the game of basketball, be newish to player analysis and/or be ignorant of some information/data, or may have processed that info/data differently than you (perhaps even processed information badly).
Or maybe you're the one who's wrong (I know: that's never ever happened. This is the internet; we're always right, it's always the other guy who's wrong).

Anyway, the point is: there's no rule saying that people who are bad at player analysis can't come to this forum and discuss hoops.

As toward the accusation that it is strictly bias driving them toward certain conclusions.......well, no one is free from bias, however much you might believe yourself to be. It's true that some carry more than others, and often the people carrying a good share think themselves pretty fair and even-handed.
But.......as moderators, we cannot police and treat with prejudicial severity, or otherwise exclude posters for their biased basketball opinions [on a basketball forum], simply because we don't like or agree with them. And to the best of our abilities, we don't.

Because---and I hope you and other like-minded posters can understand this---us doing THAT would make this a much worse place in the grand scheme of things. We're not going to filter the demographic, weeding out the "undesirables", until we're left with only people we agree with. That's......actually kinda horrifying when you stop and think about what that resembles.

And even while we try to moderate without our personal opinions and beliefs directing our actions, and even as you seem to be implying we're far too permissive wrt these "LeBron haters", and even as I have [seemingly] come across as overly sympathetic to the "haters".......we have literally just seen itt (I think on almost the very same page as your post that I am quoting) a poster from the other side of the aisle as you, accusing a moderator of action based solely on pro-LeBron bias. Whadyagonnado?

And I'll repeat: having bias is not against forum rules.
Yeah, it can interfere with quality analysis: it may cause tunnel-vision on whatever bit of info helps their case, or they may selectively over/under-value certain pieces of information, or draw too broad a conclusion from a cherry-picked piece of data, or whatever other means "disingenuous" argumentation. But.....

.....if an argument is good and truly FOS, probably ~80% of the forum is going to immediately recognize it's FOS, and some of the other 20% will figure it out in time, while most of the rest are dug in and emotionally invested in believing it, so you'll never sway them (it's right there in my signature: "The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it.")
You'll not convince them otherwise. Ever. Why waste your energy trying?

If you nonetheless feel the compulsion to respond to a dubious argument, fine; but there's no need for venom, snide tone, personal attacks or accusations: diplomatically explain all the ways it is flawed, and then move on with your life. You don't need to crusade against perceived repeat offenders until they leave.

"Leave vengeance.......Instead, lead by example." -Akiroq Brost

fwiw, You express that these people are so frustrating and disruptive........but they only are if you allow them to be.

And whether you believe it or not, I think the forum would be a lesser place without some of these people. As much as you seem to imply they target certain topics to an obsessive degree, I note you're both among the post-count leaders in this thread, with many more than most of the haters; and in fact nearly ALL of the post-count leaders here could be viewed as "Pro-LeBron" in sentiment.
I'm willing to bet if we did a broad review of this thread, we'd find the posts from "Pro-LeBron" posters FAR outnumber those from the "haters"; and this would likely be true of any LeBron-related thread on this forum. So this disparaging dissent that is apparently so disruptive and frustrating already comprises only an extreme minority of the content on this forum.

The majority of "anti-LeBron" posting probably comes from only a small handful who are either brave or foolish enough to argue with you at length. You succeed in driving these guys out---[and that is a very REAL risk, btw, for we have had multiple posters voicing to us in private that they feel unwelcome because of opinions that don't conform to the broader consensus]---and you'll have the zero-dissent echo chamber I've cautioned against.

What do you think that does to the forum's credibility in the long-run?
What does it do to our capacity to learn, when we've scared off or bullied into submission everyone who challenged our beliefs? Speaking for myself, even when I recognize an argument is super-flawed, I often learn from it because it compells me to dig into the topic (for no other reason than to explain how/why it's flawed).

I'll leave it there for now, as I've already derailed enough. It's an important topic though.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,366

Post#835 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:32 am

LeBron for Garland/Niang trade would give Cavs a killer team..

Mitchell, Strus, LeBron, Mobley, Allen
LeVert, Okoro, Wade

Shades of Lakers 2020
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,194

Post#836 » by donnieme » Sat May 4, 2024 6:18 am

Heej wrote:
dcstanley wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yea that and the DLo slot seem like the obvious places to upgrade at

Hopefully. D'lo's crappy value is part why the team had to basically throw the same roster build and matchup weaknesses at Denver and probably any title hopes. Thats one KCP, a Caruso and a backup C.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,821

Post#837 » by Mos_Heat » Sat May 4, 2024 7:37 am

Would you double SnT with the Magic for Gary Harris? Seems like he's the odd man out. Not a super fan of him, but they have to keep the salary slot
:reporter:
PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#839 » by PistolPeteJR » Sat May 4, 2024 4:16 pm

dcstanley wrote:
Read on Twitter

He killed me with how many times he’d leave Porter’s body recklessly. Wandering aimlessly. I said it a few days ago: this was the series that made me go, “Absolutely trade him.”
Run DLC
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,793

Post#840 » by Run DLC » Sat May 4, 2024 4:22 pm

LeFriendly is definitely going to recruit KD to team up with him even though KD secretly(not to me) hate him.
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation

Return to Player Comparisons