Rank these players offensively (peak): Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Curry, Jokic

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,432

Re: Rank these players offensively (peak): Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Curry, Jokic 

Post#121 » by AEnigma » Thu May 2, 2024 3:56 pm

If Lebron were an elite offensive player he would have taken a discount timed with a cap spike so he could sign Kevin Durant at no real team cost. :nod:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,176

Post#122 » by Colbinii » Thu May 2, 2024 4:01 pm

Djoker wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Onus wrote:Yea the lakers had bad spacing, but Steph deals with worse. I'm not arguing that the Lakers didn't have terrible spacing. I'm saying Steph had even worse spacing. He's also had the worst 2nd option among these players outside of the KD years.

He also put up considerably worse results, so much so that I fail to see spacing as the major limiting factor as to why Steph was a worse offensive player than LeBron James or Magic Johnson.

But good discussion was had and we both learned something and I think it is now time to move on before talking in another circle :lol:

How did Steph have worse results? His regular season offenses reached heights that Lebron's teams never did and then in the postseason where sample sizes are smaller, while he has an overall disadvantage while playing in a stronger conference, he also led much better offenses wversus 5+ SRS teams.

In terms of individual impact stats, he's also at least competitive if not superior to Lebron since 2014-15. I remember lessthanjake posting a whole bunch of them from different sources and Curry leads Lebron more than vice versa.

I have 2016 and 2017 LeBron as the best offensive player ever.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#123 » by ardee » Thu May 2, 2024 11:37 pm

By peak?

2017 LeBron
1991 Jordan
2023 Jokic
1987 Magic (1990 very close)
2016 Curry (controversial, but the regular season was so good that it's still very hard for me to consider any other year his peak. The only other consideration would be 2017 but I think the RS gap is bigger than the PS gap frankly)
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#124 » by ardee » Thu May 2, 2024 11:40 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Djoker wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
He also put up considerably worse results, so much so that I fail to see spacing as the major limiting factor as to why Steph was a worse offensive player than LeBron James or Magic Johnson.

But good discussion was had and we both learned something and I think it is now time to move on before talking in another circle :lol:

How did Steph have worse results? His regular season offenses reached heights that Lebron's teams never did and then in the postseason where sample sizes are smaller, while he has an overall disadvantage while playing in a stronger conference, he also led much better offenses wversus 5+ SRS teams.

In terms of individual impact stats, he's also at least competitive if not superior to Lebron since 2014-15. I remember lessthanjake posting a whole bunch of them from different sources and Curry leads Lebron more than vice versa.

I have 2016 and 2017 LeBron as the best offensive player ever.

I think 2017 and 2018 were a level up from 2016 purely on offense, but 2016 was good enough defensively to still put it in the ballpark for his overall peak.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,269

Post#125 » by McBubbles » Mon May 6, 2024 5:57 am

ShotCreator wrote:
And actually notice how I said LeBron is faster, I never said he was an actual superior ballhandler. I don't know if that's even true. :lol:

This is low-key one of the strangest things I've read.

Lebron can do all the things on ball that Jokic can do, whilst Jokic can't do half the things on ball that Lebron can do, but you don't know who's the better ball handler, just that Lebron is faster?

That's like saying you don't know if Jokic is a better rebounder than Lebron, just that he's taller, heavier and stronger with longer arms.

Skills and athleticism aren't in seperate categories. They're on a continuum, with "physical" (measurable) athleticism being on one side and hand-eye coordination being on the other. There are no pure versions of ball handling skills that are isolated from athleticism. If you have a lower centre of gravity and better acceleration, deceleration and lateral quickness that allows you to initiate a variety of play types whilst moving without being stripped relative to another player, then you have better handles than said player. What else is there to consider?
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,169

Post#126 » by Laimbeer » Mon May 6, 2024 3:06 pm

This is a classic "depends " question. But if they have average teammates, playing today, probably LeBron. It's somewhat era-dependent as well. Jordan was more effective in his role as a go-to scorer before threes dominated the game.

Return to Player Comparisons