Who would you pair with Wemby?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

giordunk
Analyst
And1: 494

Who would you pair with Wemby? 

Post#1 » by giordunk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:33 am

If you could pair any active NBA player with Wemby, who would you choose?

Let's do separate answers for if you were to win now, and if you were building for the future.

I think the biggest thing is getting an elite guard who will get the ball to Wemby and set him up. But as you can see with Denver no matter how good Jokic is, it's still nice to have a guard shot maker.

If I'm trying to win now I'd pick Stephen Curry just for the little bit extra playoff experience, and still elite.

If building for the future I think Shai or Luka would fit. Shai seems to be more of a personality match for Wemby. Luka is kind of the opposite so I feel like they can kinda bring out the best in each other.
i like peanuts
picko
Starter
And1: 3,458

Re: Who would you pair with Wemby? 

Post#2 » by picko » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:39 am

Perhaps Haliburton. I'd like to pair Wemby with a pass-first PG who can make it his life's goal to make Wemby as effective as possible.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,785

Post#3 » by LukaTheGOAT » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:38 am

Darius Garland

Trae Young

Tyrese Haliburton
Read on Twitter
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,608

Post#4 » by EmpireFalls » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:05 am

Ugh I’m throwing up at all of these no defense pick and pop guards. You want to build a future around Wembanyama maybe don’t curse him to having to do the work of two men on every PnR he defends for the next 10 years. Trae and Haliburton would be good fits offensively but they are traffic cones on defense. The last thing you want to do is place too much on Wemby defensively too soon and get him injured.

Win now player: I’d kill to see him with Curry or LeBron. Obvious completely unrealistic

Realistic future guy: you need a 3 level scorer who can also play defense and pass at a high level. Comfortable shooting pull up jumpers. Am I crazy to say, De’Aaron Fox?
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,101

Post#5 » by rk2023 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:36 am

LeBron , hands down
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,656

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:43 pm

if we are going to think about realistic options for the Spurs to actually acquire, I'd probably go with Spida. If he doesn't extend, Cleveland will likely look to trade him. He gives a perimeter scorer to help close games. And if you are worried about having one bad defender on your team, then you don't actually believe much in Wemby and shouldn't even worry about this.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,668

Post#7 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Realistic future guy: you need a 3 level scorer who can also play defense and pass at a high level. Comfortable shooting pull up jumpers. Am I crazy to say, De’Aaron Fox?

Yes, I'd say. ;)

Fox isn't good enough a scorer to be worth the responsibility you're outlining in this pairing. He's literally been at or over league average efficiency once in his career, and it wasn't this season. He is also a small guard who relies on high-volume 3pt shooting, and while good, isn't any kind of epic playmaker. He is also not good at the line for his role. Never managed 80% FT in his career yet. And his downhill is closer than his uphill at 26.

You'd want someone who is actually a good scorer, for starters. As a third guy behind some kind of more skillful wing, sure, but not as a The Guy driving San Antonio's offense, not with how little other scoring talent they field.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,359

Post#8 » by spree8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:47 pm

I’d probably go with Ant. Hali would definitely make life easiest for Wemby, but in terms of winning a title, I dunno if Hali is the type of talent that could be a championship level sidekick alongside him.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,124

Post#9 » by Zeno » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:57 pm

I am going to answer this question with a player who I think might be relatively cheap and easy to obtain.

Give me the Wemby/Zion combo with a bunch of shooters
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,105

Post#10 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:34 pm

I’ve said this before as a very irritated Pistons fan, but Cade would work REALLY well with Wemby. Superb lob thrower, big guard, can work in the areas away from Wemby’s strengths. Yeah, his defense and turnovers still need work, but he’s young and improving.

Then the Pistons could just fold, I guess.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:27 pm

tmorgan wrote:I’ve said this before as a very irritated Pistons fan, but Cade would work REALLY well with Wemby. Superb lob thrower, big guard, can work in the areas away from Wemby’s strengths. Yeah, his defense and turnovers still need work, but he’s young and improving.

Even more so than Fox, Cade would have to become a ton better as a scorer to really drive things. I imagine there would be some contextual improvement from him, but like he needs to finish WAY better in the RA to get himself out of the rather large efficiency hole in which he remains. One to watch, but yeah, bleh.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,105

Post#12 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:41 pm

tsherkin wrote:
tmorgan wrote:I’ve said this before as a very irritated Pistons fan, but Cade would work REALLY well with Wemby. Superb lob thrower, big guard, can work in the areas away from Wemby’s strengths. Yeah, his defense and turnovers still need work, but he’s young and improving.

Even more so than Fox, Cade would have to become a ton better as a scorer to really drive things. I imagine there would be some contextual improvement from him, but like he needs to finish WAY better in the RA to get himself out of the rather large efficiency hole in which he remains. One to watch, but yeah, bleh.

It could very easily be my bias, but I’m going to hold onto the idea that Cade is a much better player than his numbers. Playing with non-shooters and non-defenders is just destroying his efficiency in my eyes. Not that the Spurs are exactly flush in those areas, either…

EDIT: oops, just realized I’d wandered into the PC board. Seeing myself out now.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:24 pm

tmorgan wrote:hole in which he remains. One to watch, but yeah, bleh.

It could very easily be my bias, but I’m going to hold onto the idea that Cade is a much better player than his numbers. Playing with non-shooters and non-defenders is just destroying his efficiency in my eyes. Not that the Spurs are exactly flush in those areas, either…

EDIT: oops, just realized I’d wandered into the PC board. Seeing myself out now.[/quote]

I think that he's got a chance. He can clearly shoot, he's developed the 3 and his FT shooting is fantastic. His mid-range game is on point. And he's 22, so it's not like his career is written in stone at the moment. He has shown signs of improvement, and obviously context matters a lot. And certainly I could see his passing benefiting them. The question just becomes, do you want to start in a hole and pray, you know what I mean?
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#14 » by parsnips33 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:23 pm

Nobody said Giannis yet? Could you imagine that defense?
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,442

Post#15 » by dygaction » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:48 pm

Wemby/Chet twin twoer
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#16 » by eminence » Wed May 1, 2024 12:01 am

Of guys who are reasonably possible to get in the near future, I think Quickley could be a decent fit as a guard to grow with.

I don't like going with an older guy (eg PG) and I'm not sold on Trae. Not too many other good guys currently rumored as available.
I bought a boat.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 12:40 am

eminence wrote:Of guys who are reasonably possible to get in the near future, I think Quickley could be a decent fit as a guard to grow with.

Not that I want to give up Quickley from the Raps, but he would indeed be a good fit.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#18 » by eminence » Wed May 1, 2024 12:57 am

tsherkin wrote:
eminence wrote:Of guys who are reasonably possible to get in the near future, I think Quickley could be a decent fit as a guard to grow with.

Not that I want to give up Quickley from the Raps, but he would indeed be a good fit.

What $$$ amount would you be comfortable with Toronto bringing him back at?
I bought a boat.
Modulate
Rookie
And1: 1,409

Post#19 » by Modulate » Wed May 1, 2024 4:33 am

dygaction wrote:Wemby/Chet twin twoer

The Thin Towers.
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 321