Jamal Crawford V. Stephon Marbury 

Post#1 » by Grinditout » Fri May 3, 2024 10:28 pm

Who had the better NBA career?
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,432

Re: Jamal Crawford V. Stephon Marbury 

Post#2 » by AEnigma » Fri May 3, 2024 11:07 pm

Marbury had 11 real seasons, averaging 20/3/8 over 38.4 minutes a game, with slightly above average scoring efficiency. He made the all-star game twice and all-NBA twice.

Crawford had 18 meaningful seasons. During his 11 best seasons, he averaged 17/2.5/4 over 33.6 minutes a game, with slightly below average scoring efficiency.

It is a less facially objectionable comparison than my initial gut reaction, propelled by my personal affinity for Starbury. However, I still do not see it as especially close whether I would rather have eleven years of a good (but not at all great) playmaker than eighteen years of a functional relief scorer. And judging by their career earnings, front offices generally agree.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,672

Post#3 » by tsherkin » Sat May 4, 2024 12:18 am

Steph for sure. Crawford was an exciting guy but largely a fairly bleh player outside of 2010.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,793

Post#4 » by One_and_Done » Sat May 4, 2024 2:22 am

You can't compare a bench player to an all-star, even if his career did derail.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,024

Post#5 » by Owly » Sat May 4, 2024 9:30 am

Not looking closely, first glance response...

Wouldn't want to keep either on my roster long term. Both probably get paid more than they are worth. Marbury has some intangible issues.

But Marbury. He was overrated (massively overhyped by Slam). He was a poor defender. He wasn't, as I recall, always the best teammate. His playoff numbers look very poor relative to RS - there's some mitigation for it not all being prime stuff but even so. There's a possibility he didn't scale well as we didn't really see him much on good teams. Personally he was a little shoot-first for my taste.

So there's the caveats there. But 99-05, especially '05 he's productive. The surface level on-off is ... solid (if vacillating quite a lot), again with 05 looking strong). There's the caveats above but '05 could perhaps be a needle-mover for a good team. How many years of Crawford add up to '05 Marbury...

Haven't looked in detail but on the surface I'm not sure how much Crawford ever helps you win at a high level. Fwiw, depending somewhat on measure of choice, he doesn't look great in the playoffs either.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,305

Post#6 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sat May 4, 2024 12:03 pm

Jamal Crawford is the kind of guy when you watch his highlights you're like damn this dude must have been one of the greats. Then you actually watch him play and you realize he's probably up there as one of the most overrated players in the game.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#7 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 4, 2024 8:41 pm

Starbury easily. Talent wise it's like comparing Morant to Herro (I guess I'd take Morant over Marbury though he also played in a more favorable guard era).

Return to Player Comparisons