Gravity: Top 5 of All-Time?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,770

Re: Gravity: Top 5 of All-Time? 

Post#21 » by penbeast0 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:47 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:Dame and Luka are extremely underrated candidates. Absolutely absurd on-ball gravity

By absurd, do you mean better than:
Jordan
LeBron
Curry
Oscar
West

Remember, it's top 5 of all time and that's not even including bigs who I tend to have at the top.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,850

Post#22 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 7, 2024 6:55 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:Dame and Luka are extremely underrated candidates. Absolutely absurd on-ball gravity

Jordan
LeBron
Curry
Oscar
West

Remember, it's top 5 of all time and that's not even including bigs who I tend to have at the top.

I would think Luka is definitely ahead of West and probably Oscar, no? Far and away the most blitzed player in the league. He's creating Curry level 4 on 3's by simply accepting the double, backing up and hitting the top of the key. And that's without the attention he draws in a PNR or when he gets into the paint which is all the time. But Luka has led the league I believe 4 years running in percentage of chances(and quantity obviously) created for teammates that are considered open or wide open. And by pretty significant margins. He's sucking so much defense to him.

It's certainly too soon to talk about him in a top 5 of all-time, but there probably haven't been many singular seasons where a player had as much gravity as Luka did this year. He's a logical mention.

Harder for me to see Dame as a serious player in the conversation.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 949

Post#23 » by Special_Puppy » Tue May 7, 2024 6:57 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Jordan
LeBron
Curry
Oscar
West

I would think Luka is definitely ahead of West and probably Oscar, no? Far and away the most blitzed player in the league. He's creating Curry level 4 on 3's by simply accepting the double, backing up and hitting the top of the key. And that's without the attention he draws in a PNR or when he gets into the paint which is all the time. But Luka has led the league I believe 4 years running in percentage of chances(and quantity obviously) created for teammates that are considered open or wide open. And by pretty significant margins. He's sucking so much defense to him.

It's certainly too soon to talk about him in a top 5 of all-time, but there probably haven't been many singular seasons where a player had as much gravity as Luka did this year. He's a logical mention.

Harder for me to see Dame as a serious player in the conversation.

In BB Index's overall Gravity measure that goes back to 2014, Luka has 3 seasons in the top 10. Dame has 4 in the top 10
Djoker
Rookie
And1: 991

Post#24 » by Djoker » Tue May 7, 2024 8:28 pm

lessthanjake wrote:In terms of how far opposing players are being drawn away from their normal defensive assignment, the answer is probably Shaq. But the thing with a shooter’s gravity (most prominently Steph) is that they’re drawing defenders *away* from the basket, and that’s more valuable than drawing them towards the basket. The best shot in basketball is at the basket, so if your gravity draws opponents away from the basket, then it’s better than gravity that draws more defenders towards the basket, because the gravity is creating space for teammates in a more valuable area.

In theory, I would agree with your take but space at the basket is sometimes more difficult to exploit. Shaq's gravity was super simple to exploit. Shaq catches ball, Shaq sees double team, Shaq passes to open shooter, shooter takes shot. Rinse and repeat.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,399

Post#25 » by lessthanjake » Tue May 7, 2024 8:29 pm

Djoker wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:In terms of how far opposing players are being drawn away from their normal defensive assignment, the answer is probably Shaq. But the thing with a shooter’s gravity (most prominently Steph) is that they’re drawing defenders *away* from the basket, and that’s more valuable than drawing them towards the basket. The best shot in basketball is at the basket, so if your gravity draws opponents away from the basket, then it’s better than gravity that draws more defenders towards the basket, because the gravity is creating space for teammates in a more valuable area.

In theory, I would agree with your take but space at the basket is sometimes more difficult to exploit. Shaq's gravity was super simple to exploit. Shaq catches ball, Shaq sees double team, Shaq passes to open shooter, shooter takes shot. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah, there’s perhaps an argument that the space opened up by a shooter’s gravity is in a more valuable area of the court but also an area that’s still harder to get the ball to. That’s probably part of why having Draymond has been such a great fit for Steph.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.

Return to Player Comparisons