Gravity: Top 5 of All-Time?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 500

Gravity: Top 5 of All-Time? 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:01 am

In terms of gravity only on the court who are your top 5 players of all-time?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,756

Re: Gravity: Top 5 of All-Time? 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:09 am

Wilt and Shaq would be my top 2 in some kind of order. After that it gets closer as you have other traditional post scorers like Kareem, drive and dish guys who would draw a crowd like Nate Archibald or Allen Iverson, guys like Curry who bend a defense out away from the basket, etc.

From other thread:
penbeast0 wrote:I would agree. Steph has great gravity for an outside shooting guard and his man has to pick him up very early while everyone has to watch if he gets by but people don't leave their man to double him easily considering his range. Shaq could and did collapse whole defenses as two or three guys would try to double down on him leaving him easy open shooting looks when he didn't just bully his way through them all.

Doesn't mean Shaq was better, just better at this one thing.

tsherkin wrote:Yeah, I mean Shaq had incredible gravity because of his high-percentage threat and everything, but you certainly didn't have to guard him from halfcourt, and he wasn't nearly as mobile as Steph in terms of cutting around screens and what have you. He tended to stay within an 8-foot bubble, give or take.

As you say, doesn't mean Shaq was better, but neither the reverse. Just that the two were the max-gravity guys of their eras. And of course Shaq might have had a comparatively "simple" game, but he parlayed his few tricks into exceptional results, for sure.

penbeast0 wrote:I think of gravity as drawing players OTHER than the one guarding you out of their defensive rotation and away from their man creating openings. So having to pick up Steph earlier is a relatively small effect; having to guard him tight so far away that everyone else has to be aware of the threat of him blowing by his man is a much bigger one.

Someone made a gravity thread, I'll copy this there and we can move this discussion if you want to continue it.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,393

Post#3 » by lessthanjake » Sun May 5, 2024 12:24 am

In terms of how far opposing players are being drawn away from their normal defensive assignment, the answer is probably Shaq. But the thing with a shooter’s gravity (most prominently Steph) is that they’re drawing defenders *away* from the basket, and that’s more valuable than drawing them towards the basket. The best shot in basketball is at the basket, so if your gravity draws opponents away from the basket, then it’s better than gravity that draws more defenders towards the basket, because the gravity is creating space for teammates in a more valuable area.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,683

Post#4 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 12:41 am

penbeast0 wrote:I think of gravity as drawing players OTHER than the one guarding you out of their defensive rotation and away from their man creating openings. So having to pick up Steph earlier is a relatively small effect; having to guard him tight so far away that everyone else has to be aware of the threat of him blowing by his man is a much bigger one.

I am disinclined to agree with that definition. Individual gravity from shooting ability has been a critical element for decades. Steph forcing you to consider him an additional 20+ feet from the basket is a whole other situation. And then he still warps a whole defense beyond just his initial defender, unless you want to concede a series of money shots from him with your rotations. I do agree that worrying about him getting past the initial defender is a consequential element as well, though.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,404

Post#5 » by Outside » Sun May 5, 2024 2:23 am

The thing about prime Steph's gravity is that he exerted it both on- and off-ball, and when off-ball, through his tremendous movement. The big guys also had some off-ball gravity, but not nearly as much as Curry, and certainly not through movement like Curry, who drew the focus of multiple defenders as he moved around the court throughout a possession and used or set screens.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#6 » by OhayoKD » Sun May 5, 2024 2:53 am

Matt15 wrote:In terms of gravity only on the court who are your top 5 players of all-time?

Idk how they rank but I'd say the best gravity people

-> overwhelming interior presences (shaq, wilt)

-> all-time deep shooters who can cut and play on-ball well (steph, lillard)

-> ball-handlers who can overwhelm inside (Jokic, lebron, giannis)

People who score a bunch in mid-range, are reliant on going around defenders to get inside, or take open threes don't produce the same space for teammates and consequently their "creations" and "assists" tend to be less valuable. The flip-side is ball-handlers tend to draw alot of defensive attention and ball-handlers tend not to be great inside. So players like Magic and Lebron get a big boost from being able to do both.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by OhayoKD » Sun May 5, 2024 2:57 am

Outside wrote:The thing about prime Steph's gravity is that he exerted it both on- and off-ball, and when off-ball, through his tremendous movement. The big guys also had some off-ball gravity, but not nearly as much as Curry, and certainly not through movement like Curry, who drew the focus of multiple defenders as he moved around the court throughout a possession and used or set screens.

Steph is the only volume off-ball creator in league history. People try to make Bird out as a peer but he doesn't even offer a real spacing advantage relative to the likes of a lebron. People also try to make Lillard out as a peer, but he doesn't move off ball enough to actually draw defenders like curry does.

That said, Curry is still way more valuable on-ball and his on-ball plays take out more defenders than his off-ball ones do.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,593

Post#8 » by 70sFan » Sun May 5, 2024 9:15 am

As always, Kareem is a must-have in this conversation and somehow nobody ever mention him...
penbeast0

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:56 am

70sFan wrote:As always, Kareem is a must-have in this conversation and somehow nobody ever mention him...

I put him below Shaq and Wilt partially because of his strengths. He worked farther away from the basket and, when younger, with more movement and from more different spots so defenses didn't collapse on him to the same degree. It made him a greater scorer than either but with a bit less gravity according to the definition I gave above.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 12:24 pm

70sFan wrote:As always, Kareem is a must-have in this conversation and somehow nobody ever mention him...

It's a good mention to at least have him in the discussion.

I also understand where penbeast is coming from, in terms of how his spacing didn't affect things quite as much as with Shaq/Wilt because he was higher up the key or further out along the baseline, so he wasn't sucking in defenders quite as far away from the perimeter guys. Still, you had to get up in him or he'd absolutely murder the beans out of you, plus he was a good and willing passer.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,025

Post#11 » by Owly » Sun May 5, 2024 12:41 pm

I think it's hard to say and debate meaningfully unless/until there's a consensus on what is meant by gravity.

Already discussed here is a greater value in pulling people away from the basket than closer to it. So a notion of raw pull versus value derived from pull.

In terms of "pull" a poor and/or reluctant passer, who shoots at volume and takes a lot of time to make decisions/moves will see more doubles etc and show more of that "pull" gravity than a willing, able, decisive (though sometimes patient) passer.

If (probably with a simple "pull" definition) gravity is, or is dictated by, fear of advantage creation by "normal" coverage, skilled passers (and obviously teammate context is important here) perhaps exert an inverted gravity or gravity for teammates and potentially dangerous spaces.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,593

Post#12 » by 70sFan » Sun May 5, 2024 12:42 pm

penbeast0 wrote:

I put him below Shaq and Wilt partially because of his strengths. He worked farther away from the basket and, when younger, with more movement and from more different spots so defenses didn't collapse on him to the same degree. It made him a greater scorer than either but with a bit less gravity according to the definition I gave above.

Even with that in mind, his influence on defenses faced was staggering and I made one post about it a few years ago:

70sFan wrote:About Shaq's gravity - this one is a massive game changer, but I wonder how much different it was compared to Kareem. I mean, this is how Kareem was guarded in 1977 playoffs:

Spoiler:

This are not highly selected screens - I picked them from one quarter of game 3 vs Warriors. Kareem absorbed ridiculous amount of defensive attention and he had a harder time beating it without the three point line.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 12:46 pm

70sFan wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Even with that in mind, his influence on defenses faced was staggering and I made one post about it a few years ago:

70sFan wrote:About Shaq's gravity - this one is a massive game changer, but I wonder how much different it was compared to Kareem. I mean, this is how Kareem was guarded in 1977 playoffs:

Spoiler:

This are not highly selected screens - I picked them from one quarter of game 3 vs Warriors. Kareem absorbed ridiculous amount of defensive attention and he had a harder time beating it without the three point line.

Nice, thanks for the stills, 70sfan!
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,723

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 3:12 pm

And also as always it shouldn't require a Dirk homer like me to bring him up. He was breaking defenses in his late 30's still with his gravity. Forget him in his prime....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 3:15 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

And also as always it shouldn't require a Dirk homer like me to bring him up. He was breaking defenses in his late 30's still with his gravity. Forget him in his prime....

He is another excellent mention!
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,269

Post#16 » by McBubbles » Sun May 5, 2024 7:43 pm

Kareem was mentioned in the first post :D
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,638

Post#17 » by EmpireFalls » Sun May 5, 2024 8:36 pm

Klay Thompson deserves a mention.
penbeast0

Post#18 » by penbeast0 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:09 am

EmpireFalls wrote:Klay Thompson deserves a mention.

AS top 5 of all time? Or even top 10? I don't see it. Of course I tend to favor the bigs who draw a crowd as you can see from my discussion with Tsherkin but even among wings, I don't see him up there with Curry, Jordan, Kobe, Oscar, even Reggie.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 6, 2024 3:12 am

EmpireFalls wrote:Klay Thompson deserves a mention.

no
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 929

Post#20 » by Special_Puppy » Tue May 7, 2024 2:51 pm

Dame and Luka are extremely underrated candidates. Absolutely absurd on-ball gravity

Return to Player Comparisons