JJ Redick was a very similar player to Kyle Korver.

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

FartinLuther7
Ballboy
And1: 3

JJ Redick was a very similar player to Kyle Korver. 

Post#1 » by FartinLuther7 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:37 am

JJ was a great college player. But I think his pro career tends to get overrated by basketball fans at large lately, because they like him as an analyst. There are posts about him being the most underrated player of all time? Offensively he was very similar to Korver. Although JJ was the better scorer and Korver was better defensively.

JJ was a great shooter during the regular season. He's 18th all time in 3p %, and he was taking more 3's than a lot of the guys on that list. So as a 3 pt shooter, he was truly elite.

But he was also pretty 1 dimensional as a player. He was mainly just a spot up guy. If he wasn't making shots he didn't provide much value in other ways, especially later in his career. And in the playoffs JJ usually underperformed.

Defensively he gave effort, and to be fair he actually had 2-3 good defensive years in Orlando early in his career. But during the Clippers years and after, he had trouble with bigger and more athletic guards, and could be picked on defensively.

He also wasn't much of a play maker. He averaged 2 assists per game for his career. This is somewhat low for the amount of touches he had.

His stats and play style are really comparable to Kyle Korver. Korver - 9.7 pts, 3rb, 1.7 ast, 44% fg, 43% 3p, career averages. Redick- 12.8 pts, 2rb, 2 ast, 44% fg, 41.5% 3p.

Korver was the better defender and really underrated in this aspect, having a career 107.4 career defensive rating, JJ with 110.9. And while they both had similar assist numbers, I always felt like Korver had better court vision. I can remember some really good assists from Korver over the years.

JJ was a better scorer, and had better peak seasons than Korver offensively, but over the course of their careers they were very similar players. And nobody is writing love letters to Kyle Korver on basketball/ NBA reddit. This isn't a shot at either player. Both were all-time great shooters and important role players on many teams. Just my thoughts, curious what others think?

This is my first post on here, so sorry if I broke any posting rules.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Re: JJ Redick was a very similar player to Kyle Korver. 

Post#2 » by Heej » Thu May 16, 2024 3:17 am

Very fair breakdown. Only thing I'd add is that JJ was slightly more capable of putting the ball on the deck vs a closeout. I'm glad to see Korver get recognition for his positional defense. That was always a constant refrain from his coaches how he was slightly better at defense than people realize due to his size and low error rate on rotations. I think Korver was a slightly better screener but JJ was pretty cerebral with using his man as a screener whenever he got top locked.

I'm fairly confident no one really thought JJ was much better than Korver for their careers. Hell 2015 Korver got more love as a player than JJ ever did in the league. That was the year he was a pseudo all-star and people were saying him and Steph were the clear 2 best pure shooters in the league.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 16, 2024 2:47 pm

This isn't too controversial, they were the premiere spot up shooting non all-stars. I think Redick was more versatile on offense, leading to some 16-18ppg seasons (19-20 per 36 minutes) and was genuinely the 3rd option on 50 W Clippers teams. I'd say Korver was even better than him at pure spot up shooting and was better on defense.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,698

Post#4 » by Doctor MJ » Thu May 16, 2024 6:14 pm

FartinLuther7 wrote:JJ was a great college player. But I think his pro career tends to get overrated by basketball fans at large lately, because they like him as an analyst. There are posts about him being the most underrated player of all time? Offensively he was very similar to Korver. Although JJ was the better scorer and Korver was better defensively.

JJ was a great shooter during the regular season. He's 18th all time in 3p %, and he was taking more 3's than a lot of the guys on that list. So as a 3 pt shooter, he was truly elite.

But he was also pretty 1 dimensional as a player. He was mainly just a spot up guy. If he wasn't making shots he didn't provide much value in other ways, especially later in his career. And in the playoffs JJ usually underperformed.

Defensively he gave effort, and to be fair he actually had 2-3 good defensive years in Orlando early in his career. But during the Clippers years and after, he had trouble with bigger and more athletic guards, and could be picked on defensively.

He also wasn't much of a play maker. He averaged 2 assists per game for his career. This is somewhat low for the amount of touches he had.

His stats and play style are really comparable to Kyle Korver. Korver - 9.7 pts, 3rb, 1.7 ast, 44% fg, 43% 3p, career averages. Redick- 12.8 pts, 2rb, 2 ast, 44% fg, 41.5% 3p.

Korver was the better defender and really underrated in this aspect, having a career 107.4 career defensive rating, JJ with 110.9. And while they both had similar assist numbers, I always felt like Korver had better court vision. I can remember some really good assists from Korver over the years.

JJ was a better scorer, and had better peak seasons than Korver offensively, but over the course of their careers they were very similar players. And nobody is writing love letters to Kyle Korver on basketball/ NBA reddit. This isn't a shot at either player. Both were all-time great shooters and important role players on many teams. Just my thoughts, curious what others think?

Welcome FL! I can see you put some real thought into this and that's a great start for your first post.

I'll echo what others have said: You're take here is totally reasonable...it's just a little unexpected because I don't perceive perception of Redick as a player to be above Korver, let alone a tier above him.

Doesn't mean my perception of mainstream perception is correct though. Redick's post-playing significance could well be reshaping the conversation between the two. But when they played, only one of these guys was named all-star, and it was Korver.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,415

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
FartinLuther7 wrote:JJ was a great college player. But I think his pro career tends to get overrated by basketball fans at large lately, because they like him as an analyst. There are posts about him being the most underrated player of all time? Offensively he was very similar to Korver. Although JJ was the better scorer and Korver was better defensively.

Welcome FL! I can see you put some real thought into this and that's a great start for your first post.

I'll echo what others have said: You're take here is totally reasonable...it's just a little unexpected because I don't perceive perception of Redick as a player to be above Korver, let alone a tier above him.

Doesn't mean my perception of mainstream perception is correct though. Redick's post-playing significance could well be reshaping the conversation between the two. But when they played, only one of these guys was named all-star, and it was Korver.

If only the 2016 LAC were awarded with 3 All-stars like the 2015 ATL were :lol:

To put into perspective of how little top-end talent the 2015 Eastern Conference had, just 5 players in the Top 20 in BPM [LeBron, Butler, Kyrie, Horford and Wall] were in the East. LeBron was the only one in the Top 10.

I prefer Redick's offensive game to Korver's but much prefer Korver's defensive game to Redick's. I believe Redick was a better all-around shooter offensively, better off the dribble [usually just one dribble] and better at moving both left and right off the catch.

Korver's defense was always a chef kiss to his complete package as a GOAT level catch-and-shoot threat while being a net positive defensively.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,698

Post#6 » by Doctor MJ » Thu May 16, 2024 8:55 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

If only the 2016 LAC were awarded with 3 All-stars like the 2015 ATL were :lol:

To put into perspective of how little top-end talent the 2015 Eastern Conference had, just 5 players in the Top 20 in BPM [LeBron, Butler, Kyrie, Horford and Wall] were in the East. LeBron was the only one in the Top 10.

I prefer Redick's offensive game to Korver's but much prefer Korver's defensive game to Redick's. I believe Redick was a better all-around shooter offensively, better off the dribble [usually just one dribble] and better at moving both left and right off the catch.

Korver's defense was always a chef kiss to his complete package as a GOAT level catch-and-shoot threat while being a net positive defensively.

Hawks actually got 4 all-stars so that helps your argument even more.

That said, I actually think Korver was at worst the 2nd most valuable player on those Hawks and think he absolutely deserved to be an all-star. Millsap was the other clear cut all-star. Horford was also generally worthy as an all-star and had a case that year. And Jeff Teague was truly just a random starter-ish dude in the right place at the right time.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
dennythedino
Senior
And1: 622

Post#7 » by dennythedino » Fri May 17, 2024 3:53 am

Duncan Robinson is probably the closest to their ilk today. Even added some cutting to his game, which Korver/Redick sometimes did.

Duncan Robinson and Korver were not really good 1-on-1 defenders but they're good at help defense and generally knew where to be. I thought Redick was actually a solid defender in Orlando.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 479

Post#8 » by Hair Jordan » Fri May 17, 2024 8:11 pm

Redick was a one dimensional stiff who couldn’t put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble and couldn’t create offense for himself without running off of a million screens. Players like him only exist because there’s a three point line. Take that away and he’s out of the league. He was basically a poor man’s Steve Kerr who played in a friendlier era for one dimensional, 3 point shooting stiffs. He’d be Kyle Macy in the 80’s and Bobby Hansen in the 90’s. At least Korver had size and a quick release. He’d be Del Curry in the 80’s.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,021

Post#9 » by OhayoKD » Fri May 17, 2024 8:19 pm

Hair Jordan wrote:Redick was a one dimensional stiff who couldn’t put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble and couldn’t create offense for himself without running off of a million screens. Players like him only exist because there’s a three point line. Take that away and he’s out of the league. He was basically a poor man’s Steve Kerr who played in a friendlier era for one dimensional, 3 point shooting stiffs. He’d be Kyle Macy in the 80’s and Bobby Hansen in the 90’s. At least Korver had size and a quick release. He’d be Del Curry in the 80’s.

Reddick's dribbling is better than the vast majority of 80/90's guards. Unfortunately there is a 3-point line circa one of the weakest eras in league history so Reddick is going to be balling.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Hair Jordan
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Hair Jordan » Sat May 18, 2024 2:26 am

OhayoKD wrote:
Hair Jordan wrote:Redick was a one dimensional stiff who couldn’t put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble and couldn’t create offense for himself without running off of a million screens. Players like him only exist because there’s a three point line. Take that away and he’s out of the league. He was basically a poor man’s Steve Kerr who played in a friendlier era for one dimensional, 3 point shooting stiffs. He’d be Kyle Macy in the 80’s and Bobby Hansen in the 90’s. At least Korver had size and a quick release. He’d be Del Curry in the 80’s.

Reddick's dribbling is better than the vast majority of 80/90's guards. Unfortunately there is a 3-point line circa one of the weakest eras in league history so Reddick is going to be balling.

Redick’s dribbling is better than most 80’s or 90’s guards? :lol: You must be 15 years old or mentally handicapped. Perhaps both :lol:
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,175

Post#11 » by PaulieWal » Sat May 18, 2024 3:02 pm

Hair Jordan wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

Redick’s dribbling is better than most 80’s or 90’s guards? :lol: You must be 15 years old or mentally handicapped. Perhaps both :lol:

Warned for this by PC board mod team
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#12 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat May 18, 2024 8:14 pm

JJ Reddick and kyle Korvey are 2 of the most reliable shooters of open 3s. Similarity pretty much stops there.

They were both slow for their position if Reddick is cnsidered a point guard.

Reddick was smaller and faster and a better ball handler.

Both could catch and shoot with a hand in their face. Korver could dribble slowly and shoot with a hand in his face, i don’t remember Reddick shooting off the dribble with a hand in his face.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Hair Jordan » Sun May 19, 2024 5:54 pm

Redick was a poor man’s Jeff Hornacek. Hornacek barely missed out on being a 50/40/90 guy like half a dozen times in his career. He averaged a career high 20.1 PPG in 1991-92 on only 2.3 three point attempts per game. In fact, he only had two seasons in which he averaged more than 3 three point attempts per game. He only averaged 1.9 three point attempts per game for his career. Redick benefited from the 3-ball era and attempted more than 3 threes a game in 13 out of 19 seasons! His career high was 18.1 but he never came close to being a 50/40/90 guy. Hornacek had a much quicker release and was a better all around scorer. Redick was basically a catch and shoot guy.
FartinLuther7
Ballboy

Post#14 » by FartinLuther7 » Sun May 19, 2024 6:35 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:JJ Reddick and kyle Korvey are 2 of the most reliable shooters of open 3s. Similarity pretty much stops there.

They were both slow for their position if Redick is cnsidered a point guard.

Redick was smaller and faster and a better ball handler.

Both could catch and shoot with a hand in their face. Korver could dribble slowly and shoot with a hand in his face, i don’t remember Redick shooting off the dribble with a hand in his face.

Yes, Korver and Redick are not carbon copy identical players. Korver is 3 inches taller lol. Korver looks like Ashton Kutcher, Redick looks like Freddie Prinze Jr.

The point was that they were very similar from a stats/player profile perspective. They were mainly spot up shooters, who were third/fourth options for the majority of their careers. JJ was only arguably a second option for 1 season in Philadelphia.

Redick might have been a slightly better ballhandler, but this was far from a strength of his. I brought up some of the other differences.

My point was that Redick's career is looked at as a level above Korver's. I disagree with this assessment. They added similar value to teams over the course of their careers. Korver's defensive play was much better than Redick. But because scoring is valued more, and because of Redick's work in the media his career gets slightly overrated.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,087

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Sun May 19, 2024 6:48 pm

FartinLuther7 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:JJ Reddick and kyle Korvey are 2 of the most reliable shooters of open 3s. Similarity pretty much stops there.

They were both slow for their position if Redick is cnsidered a point guard.

Redick was smaller and faster and a better ball handler.

Both could catch and shoot with a hand in their face. Korver could dribble slowly and shoot with a hand in his face, i don’t remember Redick shooting off the dribble with a hand in his face.

Yes, Korver and Redick are not carbon copy identical players. Korver is 3 inches taller lol. Korver looks like Ashton Kutcher, Redick looks like Freddie Prinze Jr.

The point was that they were very similar from a stats/player profile perspective. They were mainly spot up shooters, who were third/fourth options for the majority of their careers. JJ was only arguably a second option for 1 season in Philadelphia.

Redick might have been a slightly better ballhandler, but this was far from a strength of his. I brought up some of the other differences.

My point was that Redick's career is looked at as a level above Korver's. I disagree with this assessment. They added similar value to teams over the course of their careers. Korver's defensive play was much better than Redick. But because scoring is valued more, and because of Redick's work in the media his career gets slightly overrated.

I don’t think either of them were exclusively spot up shooters. Both were very good movement shooters.
FartinLuther7
Ballboy

Post#16 » by FartinLuther7 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:01 pm

They were mainly 3 point specialists. They might have preferred different gum brands though. So feel free point out any difference between them there. Maybe Korver was a trident guy while JJ preferred orbit?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,269

Post#17 » by tsherkin » Sun May 19, 2024 7:36 pm

FartinLuther7 wrote:They were mainly 3 point specialists. They might have preferred different gum brands though. So feel free point out any difference between them there. Maybe Korver was a trident guy while JJ preferred orbit?

I mean my first thought here is that Redick scored a lot more. Korver peaked at 14.4 ppg and had 7 seasons of 10+ (only one over 12.1). Redick averaged 12.8 on his career, and scored more than Korver's career-high in 7 straight seasons. He was also a lot better at drawing fouls. They both mostly shot 3s and long 2s, for sure, but Redick had a little more responsibility and volume, which is noteworthy.
FartinLuther7
Ballboy

Post#18 » by FartinLuther7 » Sun May 19, 2024 8:19 pm

Yes, I mentioned Redick was a better scorer, and had better peak seasons in the original post.

Return to Player Comparisons