Rondo's rank as PG in the NBA

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Re: Rondo's rank as PG in the NBA 

Post#41 » by wigglestrue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:32 pm

AKBlazerFan wrote:This is like Wiggles vs RealGM, and he thinks he is winning.

Rondo is no way a top 10 pg, he can and might be in a few years, but not right now.

What's so pleasant about this thread is that I have already -- pardon me, Rondo has already won vs. RealGM, and it's just a matter of it sinking in for the rest of you, which should probably take about a year.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,464

Post#42 » by CBS7 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:36 pm

Looks like we'll just agree to disagree. It is my opinion, and apparently the opinion of many others, that you are way off.
T-Spot
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#43 » by T-Spot » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:40 pm

wigglestrue wrote:
T-Spot wrote:
wigglestrue wrote:You were proved wrong, you just don't know it.

Damn, I'm sorry. I guess I will forever worship the 10/6.5/40% in 32 MPG that is Rajon Rondo. I will also make sure the world knows of Rondo's unbelievable 9/6.5/36% in the last two play-off series! I was defiantly proven wrong! :roll:

It must kill you knowing you'll never see Calderon or Ford be the floor general for a champion.
If Calderon put up 21/7/8/6 in a championship clincher, you'd probably have a "Calderon for HOF" sig.

I'm sorry, Ms.Rondo, I know you're proud of your son's stat-padding in a blow-out. Lets just ignore all of his bad games, make excuses and boost him up for the HoF in a good game [did I mention it was a blow-out?]. I'll let you enjoy it. It really kills me that neither Ford nor Calderon can ride the coat-tails of a great team to a title, though. I think it bothers you that both Ford and Calderon are better point-guards though.
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#44 » by wigglestrue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Looks like we'll just agree to disagree. It is my opinion, and apparently the opinion of many others, that you are way off.

I accept that.
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#45 » by wigglestrue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:49 pm

T-Spot wrote:I'm sorry, Ms.Rondo, I know you're proud of your son's stat-padding in a blow-out. Lets just ignore all of his bad games, make excuses and boost him up for the HoF in a good game [did I mention it was a blow-out?]. I'll let you enjoy it. It really kills me that neither Ford nor Calderon can ride the coat-tails of a great team to a title, though. I think it bothers you that both Ford and Calderon are better point-guards though.

:sleep:
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#46 » by Prophet_C » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Rondo isn't top ten yet but he will be in the next couple of years. He is one of the best rebounding and fastest pg's in the league right now.
shawngoat23
Lead Assistant
And1: 286

Post#47 » by shawngoat23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Rondo is no Andre Miller, and I can't believe you're insulted by that comparison.
penbeast0 wrote:Yes, he did. And as a mod, I can't even put him on ignore . . . sigh.
T-Spot
Veteran

Post#48 » by T-Spot » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:57 pm

wigglestrue wrote:
T-Spot wrote:I'm sorry, Ms.Rondo, I know you're proud of your son's stat-padding in a blow-out. Lets just ignore all of his bad games, make excuses and boost him up for the HoF in a good game [did I mention it was a blow-out?]. I'll let you enjoy it. It really kills me that neither Ford nor Calderon can ride the coat-tails of a great team to a title, though. I think it bothers you that both Ford and Calderon are better point-guards though.

:sleep:

:roll:
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#49 » by wigglestrue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:58 pm

shawngoat23 wrote:Rondo is no Andre Miller, and I can't believe you're insulted by that comparison.

Yep, I'm personally insulted by it, having seen them both play basketball this year.
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#50 » by wigglestrue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 pm

NOW we have the same number of posts, CBS7. Yay for us! (EDIT: Of course, the tragedy behind trying to commemorate such a thing is that a celebratory post always adds one to the total and screws up having the same number.)
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,464

Post#51 » by CBS7 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:05 pm

Yup.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,475

Post#52 » by Gant » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Rondo was also injured during the finals. He had his worst games when hurt (no big surprise).

I don't know where he ranks among points right now, but I do know he was at least as important to the Celtics this season as Ray Allen. (Statistically more wins produced, also more skills that could not be found elsewhere on the roster.)

The Celtics depended on Rondo on both ends. Head to head he cancelled out top-level quick guards like Parker and Chris Paul. (Didn't do well against Deron Williams though.)

He's very young and inexperienced. He will be the best point in the East very soon. I think only Billups is better right now.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,151

Post#53 » by UGA Hayes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:07 am

Why is hinrich so high on so many peoples list. They are at best equal defensively. Rondo is a much more talented floor general. He is a better rebounder and steals guy. Out side of two years ago hinrich has been arguably a worse offenssive player throughout his career with consistantly bad percentages. Hinrich is also more TO prone. I don't get the hinrich love. I thought Malinho analysis was pretty good.

However it should be noted that Hollinger and and Wages of Wins did a defensive analysis last year when Celtics were a terrible defensive team and both of them concluded Rondo was a top 5 defensive player and not just for his position. In the playoffs Bibby played terrible. West was solid, Billups played only 2 good game out of 6 though he was injured, and Fisher/farmer were nonfactors almost the whole series. Thats having an impact. Also Rondo has become extremely good at limitng turnovers . I think people are overestimating the impact most of the aforementioned players had during their second year in the league. I suspect rondo compares pretty darn favorabaly to most of those guys.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#54 » by Copperhead » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:25 am

Gant wrote:Rondo was also injured during the finals. He had his worst games when hurt (no big surprise).

I don't know where he ranks among points right now, but I do know he was at least as important to the Celtics this season as Ray Allen. (Statistically more wins produced, also more skills that could not be found elsewhere on the roster.)

The Celtics depended on Rondo on both ends. Head to head he cancelled out top-level quick guards like Parker and Chris Paul. (Didn't do well against Deron Williams though.)

He's very young and inexperienced. He will be the best point in the East very soon. I think only Billups is better right now.

Cancelled out? This season you could say the head to head was 1-1. And if the refs weren't so darn whistle happy in the first meeting of the season looking like they were deliberately trying to keep Paul on the bench, it may have been a different story. And he also needs to start playing better on the road. That will come with more years in the league. Even maybe as soon as next season. He's improving that's for sure because he was better than he was last season. I think it has more to do with the confidence KG gave those guys when he got to the Celtics. Will Rondo be able to keep that confidence once those older guys are gone? Maybe Doc will help him keep his confidence level up.

So if Rondo is 2nd to Billups in the East, is there a chance he can be an All-Star next season? This is a question for anyone, not just you Gant.
JD225
Analyst
And1: 341

Post#55 » by JD225 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:04 am

Rondo is easily replaceable. Some of these comparisons are ridiculous. Andre Miller wipes the floor with him.
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#56 » by wigglestrue » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:46 am

Easily replaceable???? :rofl: Lordy, this thread is a "WTF?" goldmine.
JD225
Analyst
And1: 341

Post#57 » by JD225 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:06 am

Yeah I'd say that an average point guard that shoots 61% from FT line is replaceable. Never mind the fact that defenders leave him wide open to cover other star players. I would love to see a list of teams you think he would start for.
A.J.
Banned User

Post#58 » by A.J. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:29 am

Nope. My list is

PG

1. Paul
2. Nash
3. Williams
4. Baron
5. Billups
6. Kidd
7. Parker
8. Andre Miller
9. Joe Calderon
10. Mike Bibby
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#59 » by wigglestrue » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:34 am

JD225 wrote:Yeah I'd say that an average point guard that shoots 61% from FT line is replaceable. Never mind the fact that defenders leave him wide open to cover other star players. I would love to see a list of teams you think he would start for.

Would start for, or should start for? Here's both.

Would:

Hawks
Celtics
Knicks
Pacers
Cavaliers
Lakers
Nuggets
Heat
Blazers
Sonics
Wolves
Rockets
Grizzlies
Wizards
Clippers
Kings

Should:

Nets
Bulls
Bucks
Sixers
Magic
Bobcats

Cusp, can't decide, probably would not:

Raptors

Would not and should not:

Hornets
Jazz
Suns
Pistons
Warriors
Spurs
Mavs

"Never mind the fact that defenders leave him wide open to cover other star players."

Yeah, that really worked for those defenders, too. :lol:

wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#60 » by wigglestrue » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:37 am

"10. Mike Bibby"

:rofl:

Please humor me, what POSSIBLE reasons are there to rank Bibby over Rondo? Name them.

Return to Player Comparisons