How good is Danny Granger?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Derekman
Banned User
And1: 0

How good is Danny Granger? 

Post#1 » by Derekman » Sun Nov 2, 2008 5:45 am

Where does he rank among small forwards; the only players i see ahead of him are Carmelo,Bron and Pierce. This guy can flat out play and he's probably the most underrated player in the L. He's showing the world what he can do right now and him and the Pacers are going to surprise a lot of people this year.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Re: How good is Danny Granger? 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Sun Nov 2, 2008 5:51 am

Well, he's showing he's certainly got scoring down.

I wouldn't be so quick to rank him ahead of Rudy Gay, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, Richard Jefferson, Iguodala or Caron Butler though. Or even Josh Howard.

20/6 is awesome, but Granger doesn't do anything that separates him from a lot of other SFs at this point.

He's very good, very young and improving but that's a bit hasty.
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,547

Post#3 » by TheRaptor! » Sun Nov 2, 2008 5:52 am

Alot better then Graham...
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#4 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Nov 2, 2008 5:58 am

definitely underrated right now, although it's early..

for small forwards..

#1. Lebron
#2. Pierce
#3. Anthony
#4. Butler
#5. Artest
#6. Granger

that's how I would rank it..Rudy Gay is up here too..might be forgetting somebody..is AI2 a shooting guard here?..Josh Howard is lumped in as well..

I agree with tsherkin though..there are A LOT of SF's right now that look like similar players..
IndyMac
Sophomore

Post#5 » by IndyMac » Tue Nov 4, 2008 2:34 am

You guys may want to reconsider your rankings after the way Danny completely outplayed Pierce.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#6 » by Patterns » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:01 am

IndyMac wrote:You guys may want to reconsider your rankings after the way Danny completely outplayed Pierce.

Ok.

1.Lebron
2.Granger
3.Pierce
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#7 » by Kabookalu » Tue Nov 4, 2008 10:18 am

Whenever I think of Danny Granger, I think of how we drafted Joey Graham over him and were pleased with it because of this pic:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_jMjrgDvjZHA/RtzNo ... Graham.jpg

I think Danny Granger is good, he plays good defense and his offensive game is starting to come to form but there are a couple of guys I would still pick over him.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#8 » by Alex_De_Large » Tue Nov 4, 2008 1:14 pm

top10, but nowhere top5.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by conleyorbust » Tue Nov 4, 2008 5:31 pm

He's a very good player but are we assuming that he's going to average 26.5 for the season because he did it for two games? Is he also going to have 4 times as many TOs as assists? Or 4.5 PFs a game? Probably not, Through two games last season he was "averaging" 22.5 and 11.5 shooting 60% from 3, that would have been impressive to keep up all season to, but he obviously didn't.

If he can get to the line more consistently this season, 7 times a game or so, and hit from deep like he did last season, he could be a really deadly scorer. Then he just has to work on the passing and defense against quick, slashing forwards.

He's definitely a good player. In terms of guys I'd say are better on the court at primarily SF: Bron, Melo, PP, Artest, Butler.

If you consider Iggy a SF I take him over Granger as well.

I'm not convinced Deng is as bad as he's been lately and Josh Howard on his game is also more well rounded, if he ever gets back on his game. Granger is certainly up there in the range of Jefferson, GWallace, Gay, etc.

Someone will distinguish himself this season and get into that upper echelon of elite SFs.
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 401

Post#10 » by CzBoobie » Tue Nov 4, 2008 7:07 pm

Pretty good for the 17th pick...
The_Answer
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#11 » by The_Answer » Tue Nov 4, 2008 7:21 pm

My pick for the most underrated player in the league. Deceptively good, and a pure scorer. He'll show that this season.
thesportsfan30
Freshman

Post#12 » by thesportsfan30 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:24 am

I really think he will come into his own and play like he did towards the end of the year last season. Id put him at number 5 right now.

Going out on a limb and I know Celtics fans will hate me but I think he will be better than Pierce next season.
Check out my website on Books, Magazines, Fitness, Humor, and a Bunch of Randomness!
http://www.randomjournal.com
Houston Rockets fan since 1993.
GaNGsTaRr93
Starter
And1: 2

Post#13 » by GaNGsTaRr93 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:49 am

Lebron
Melo
Durant
Granger?
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#14 » by Ojmayo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:20 am

Alex_De_Large wrote:top10, but nowhere top5.
MSGBallerz
Banned User

Post#15 » by MSGBallerz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:21 am

Derekman wrote:Where does he rank among small forwards; the only players i see ahead of him are Carmelo,Bron and Pierce.

Durant says hi. Oh and Durant is probably 10 leagues ahead of Pierce. If Celtics had Durant instead of Pierce they'd be holding the trophy.
Oomph
Veteran

Post#16 » by Oomph » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:36 am

MSGBallerz wrote:
Derekman wrote:Where does he rank among small forwards; the only players i see ahead of him are Carmelo,Bron and Pierce.

Durant says hi. Oh and Durant is probably 10 leagues ahead of Pierce. If Celtics had Durant instead of Pierce they'd be holding the trophy.

You might want to check on the OP's date? :wink:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#17 » by tsherkin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:42 am

Two years is a long time.

Granger has turned himself into a very good defender. Still not a great playmaker or passer and still PHENOMENALLY reliant upon volume three-point shooting and not super-creative in any other respect.

But any time you're logging 24-26 ppg, even if you're on a fast-paced team, there has to be some recognition of your talent. He draws fouls, he hits his threes and he's pretty efficient, even if his two-point field goal conversion is underwhelming. Not what I'd look for in a franchise centerpiece but when he's healthy (and it's been kind of rare the last two seasons), he's been quite a compelling player.

At the time, he didn't look a lot different from several other SFs. I mentioned: Rudy Gay, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, Richard Jefferson, Iguodala, Caron Butler and Josh Howard.

Now, he's managed to move ahead of pretty much all of those guys. I'll wait and see if Caron Butler can get himself together and what Iguodala does this year, but beyond those two, Granger's definitely up there.

He's probably a top 5 SF in the league right now. The only guys who are clearly ahead of him are Melo, Lebron, Durant, though you could make semi-convincing arguments for Stephen Jackson (at least as he played in Charlotte for a partial season) and Paul Pierce (even though he's no longer a comparable volume scorer) because of their diverse games.

Still, even if you put one or both of those guys there, he's one of the 7 best SFs in the league and that's something, given the generational talents at the top of the list. And that's based on a couple of sub-70-game seasons. If he manages to put together a healthy 24, 5.5 and 2.5 season on his customary 56% TS, then he's definitely got to be considered right up there.

A very good player.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,535

Post#18 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:44 am

Haha, tsherkin's post on page 1 made me go "What the f... oh"
OscarusPrime32
Senior

Post#19 » by OscarusPrime32 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:26 am

Didn't realize how old this thread was. Anyway hes a pretty good player. Pretty underrated since he plays for the Pacers. He is a top 10 SF in the league.
Ripp
General Manager
And1: 324

Post#20 » by Ripp » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:Haha, tsherkin's post on page 1 made me go "What the f... oh"

tsherkin is part of the reason why I like RealGM so much. Quality-ass poster.

Return to Player Comparisons