Post#16 » by Jcrawford11 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:23 pm

wade anyday
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Re: Dwyane Wade or Clyde Drexler 

Post#17 » by farzi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:22 pm

Drexler
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#18 » by miamiballer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 pm

what i got out of this is that hou and port fans choose drexler, just about everyone else, wade

right now, id give the edge to drexler ONLY because of longevity, but if wade keeps it up itll be him pretty easily, both are/will be top 5 sg's of all time though
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#19 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Its pretty obvious that Wade is better. People just like to pick players whose careers started further in the past to sound more experienced and wiser. Sorry kids it doesn't work that way, the better player is the better player, regardless of what era they played in.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#20 » by CB-Blazer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:29 am

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:Its pretty obvious that Wade is better. People just like to pick players whose careers started further in the past to sound more experienced and wiser. Sorry kids it doesn't work that way, the better player is the better player, regardless of what era they played in.

Or a lot of people chose Wade do to the fact that they know little to nothing about Drexler. Many posters on this board weren't even watching b-ball during Drexlers career.

Nothing is "obvious" in this comparison albeit scoring, playmaking, overall offense, or defense. This is one of the closer comparisons that have been on this board.

You can make a case for both players and both will be regarded as some of the greatest of all time. There is no clear winner and no one should be ridiculed for picking one or the other.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#21 » by mojomarc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:56 am

HeatInOhio wrote:
mojomarc wrote:Drexler. Bigger, stronger, better rebounder, better passer, more durable.

But for a given peak season, that one or two magic year seasons, I am getting pretty darned close to saying Wade.

Drexler did it for longer and was an awesome player but some of those arguments don't fly IMO. Yes he's bigger but stronger? I'm not sure. Wade is pretty strong these days:

Did Clyde ever have arms/shoudlers that shredded?

Clearly, then, Arnold Schwarzeneggar was stronger than Vasili Alexeyev, who for years held the world heavyweight weight lifting record. After all, Alexeyev was never ripped like Ahnuld:

The point being, obviously, that just because someone shows muscle definition doesn't mean they are stronger than someone who doesn't. Even so, it isn't like Clyde was small--he weighed about 235 in his prime, big enough to play extended minutes at SF.

The extra weight, combined with abservations about how he would blow through the lane and contact opposing players, leads me to believe that Drexler was a stronger player.

Clyde was a better rebounder (albeit he was a few inches taller) and more durable. I'm not so inclined to agree he was a better passer. Wade pretty much sets up around 15ish wide open jumpers for his teammates every game. Also if you look at just stats, Wade's first 6 years collectively are better as a whole. And consider that last year before his shoulder injury Wade was averaging similar numbers to this season. But coming back for the last few weeks and playing limited minutes really dropped his averages.

Drexler did more than just set up players for open shots. Drexler ran the fast break for one of the best fast breaking teams in the NBA in that era. He was an exceedingly gifted and creative passer. Wade isn't good, but Wade seems a bit more limited in the types of passing he could do. Drexler also had Terry Porter who played on the ball most of the time during his prime, which limited his assists compared to Wade, who is far more ball dominant than Drexler ever was. Still, Drexler was able to average 8.4 Per36 APG at his peak, which is better than Wade has ever averaged by a considerable amount, and that was without having the ball in his hands as much as Wade normally does.

You can get an idea of some of the passing he was capable of in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-vSeXskRY. Obviously not definitive, and I would never claim that it was it is a blowout in any direction because I think Wade is an all-time great player. I just think Clyde is better at least to this point in Wade's career.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,088

Post#22 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:34 am

miamiballer wrote:what i got out of this is that hou and port fans choose drexler, just about everyone else, wade

CB-Blazer wrote:Blah blah I think Clyde is better blah blah

Blazers fan

mojomarc wrote:Blah blah I think Clyde is better here are some good arguments blah blah

Blazers fan and mod on Blazers board

Miamiballer is quite observant ;)
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#23 » by kooldude » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:44 am

mojomarc wrote:Drexler did more than just set up players for open shots. Drexler ran the fast break for one of the best fast breaking teams in the NBA in that era. He was an exceedingly gifted and creative passer. Wade isn't good, but Wade seems a bit more limited in the types of passing he could do. Drexler also had Terry Porter who played on the ball most of the time during his prime, which limited his assists compared to Wade, who is far more ball dominant than Drexler ever was. Still, Drexler was able to average 8.4 Per36 APG at his peak, which is better than Wade has ever averaged by a considerable amount, and that was without having the ball in his hands as much as Wade normally does.

You can get an idea of some of the passing he was capable of in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-vSeXskRY. Obviously not definitive, and I would never claim that it was it is a blowout in any direction because I think Wade is an all-time great player. I just think Clyde is better at least to this point in Wade's career.

the yr Drexler got 8.6Per36 APG, his team ran significantly more than Wade's and the pace is clearly favoring Clyde in terms of raw stats. Wade has already had 4 seasons of higher or equal assist rate than Clyde's best yr, which is also an aberration from his other prime assist years.
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
thegreatblaze
Banned User

Post#24 » by thegreatblaze » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:44 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
miamiballer wrote:what i got out of this is that hou and port fans choose drexler, just about everyone else, wade

Blazers fan

mojomarc wrote:Blah blah I think Clyde is better here are some good arguments blah blah

Oh, and you're not a homer? Puh-lease.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach

Post#25 » by CB-Blazer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:09 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:

Blazers fan

Your a joke, I did not once specify who I thought was the better player. Your no less of a homer than anyone else on this board.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,088

Post#26 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:23 am

CB-Blazer wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:

Blazers fan

Your a joke, I did not once specify who I thought was the better player. Your no less of a homer than anyone else on this board.

Did I claim I wasn't a homer? I was just agreeing with an observation which is so far holding true.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:55 pm

CB-Blazer wrote:
WadeKnicks2010 wrote:Its pretty obvious that Wade is better. People just like to pick players whose careers started further in the past to sound more experienced and wiser. Sorry kids it doesn't work that way, the better player is the better player, regardless of what era they played in.

Or a lot of people chose Wade do to the fact that they know little to nothing about Drexler. Many posters on this board weren't even watching b-ball during Drexlers career.

Nothing is "obvious" in this comparison albeit scoring, playmaking, overall offense, or defense. This is one of the closer comparisons that have been on this board.

You can make a case for both players and both will be regarded as some of the greatest of all time. There is no clear winner and no one should be ridiculed for picking one or the other.

If you actually watched them both play and know something about basketball the answer is pretty obvious. Look, I know you think picking a guy from the past(and please, drexler's career wasn't even that far back, we're not talking about freaking Oscar Robertson and Jerry West here so you can drop that angle right now) makes you appear more grown up and all, but the question was who is the better player, not which one of you realgm posters are the oldest.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#28 » by Baller 24 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Wade wouldn't be a top 3 player in Drexler's era. Not with Malone, Robinson, Jordan, Hakeem, Ewing, and Barkley all having to say a word.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:43 pm

Baller 24 wrote:Wade wouldn't be a top 3 player in Drexler's era. Not with Malone, Robinson, Jordan, Hakeem, Ewing, and Barkley all having to say a word.

Neither could Drexler.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#30 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Right now (as a long sufferring Wiz fan) I have to say Drexler. Peak, they are similar in value with Wade's run for the ring in '06 giving him the edge but Drexler has three big advantages. (1) Clyde started with as inconsistent a jumper as Wade but developed a dangerous and effective midrange game. Wade may be doing this, he's looked better this year, if so, the gap narrows. (2) Career, Clyde did it for much longer. Wade needs another 5 years or so at this level to have a career arc of a Drexler. (3) Health, Wade has had injury issues in more than half his years in the league. He needs to stay healthy.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Yangsing
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Yangsing » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Drexler. If Wade finishes out his career injury free, then he'll move ahead of Drexler imo

lol @ picking older players to sound smart. :lol:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#32 » by Brandon-Clyde » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Drexler was also more versatile.He could play 3 different positions(pg,sg and sf) at an all star level
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
guy1
Sixth Man
And1: 117

Post#33 » by guy1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Baller 24 wrote:Wade wouldn't be a top 3 player in Drexler's era. Not with Malone, Robinson, Jordan, Hakeem, Ewing, and Barkley all having to say a word.

If we're talking about current Wade, it would depend on the year. Talking about 90s only, Current Wade would probably not be better then any version of Jordan from 90-98, Hakeem from 90-96, Barkley from 90-93, or Robinson from 90-96. I think he could definitely be a top 3 player after 96 fighting with Malone and Shaq for the no. 2 and 3 spots. And assuming current Wade is healthy, he'd most likely go ahead of at least Shaq in those years because of his injuries.

I'd take a current Wade over a prime Drexler, but career-wise its Drexler. Wade is well on his way to surpassing him though. And BTW, this is a much better comparison then Wade vs. Reggie from a while back. Its nice to see Drexler getting some appreciation.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach

Post#34 » by CB-Blazer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 am

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:
CB-Blazer wrote:

If you actually watched them both play and know something about basketball the answer is pretty obvious. Look, I know you think picking a guy from the past(and please, drexler's career wasn't even that far back, we're not talking about freaking Oscar Robertson and Jerry West here so you can drop that angle right now) makes you appear more grown up and all, but the question was who is the better player, not which one of you realgm posters are the oldest.

You are a flippin idiot. You sit here and keep making the claim that I have picked a player. NOT ONCE have I said which player I would have chosen.

You said it yourself tha Drexlers career wasn't even that far back, so would your whole picking the older player to appear more grown up really apply?

You need to deal with the fact that your opinion is not fact and when you have 2 players are are extremely close in terms of stats and skill all you are going to have is opinions.

Return to Player Comparisons