Bird
61%

Total votes: 64

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Re: LeBron or Bird . . . 

Post#61 » by PDXKnight » Mon Feb 9, 2009 3:48 am

I'd go with Bird pretty easily. Lebron may ultimately prove to be better, but after what Bird accomplished in Boston, I'm gonna stick with him until Lebron can prove that he's better.
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#62 » by cb4_89 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 4:10 am

TheSheriff wrote:
That Nicka wrote:I dunno why this is close, or even a debate... This should be Bird easily

exactly. How many rings does lebron have? How many MVPs?

He will have one MVP after this year. And potentially a ring too. And basically every year from now on out lebron will probly win mvp since his team finally has the success.

I would take lebron since I think he will be the GOAT in a few years. I just hate how people act as if its horrible top compare them now when 15 years from now everyone will be laughing at anyone who considers taking bird over lebron even if lebron puts up another 8-9 years of what he is doing right now. When lebron has like 4-5 MVPs, 3-4 rings and over 40 k career points, people will be nuthugging him like crazy.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#63 » by Warspite » Mon Feb 9, 2009 6:14 am

If they were both 19 I would take LBJ 1st and then take Bird in the 2nd rd. Larry Bird wasnt even playing orgainsied basketball when he was 19. He didnt go to Indiana St untill the next fall. Bird at 19 wont be NBA ready for 3 yrs and I as a GM I would most likely get fired before then especialy with LBJs 1st 3 yrs of play.

The whole arguement of knowing the future is useless because for all we know LBJs career ends next week with a broken leg/knee/achilles. We also dont know how much modern medicine could help Birds back and allow him to play several more yrs.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Harison
Starter
And1: 0

Post#64 » by Harison » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:21 am

This comparison is unfair to both players. As of now its easily Bird, so its unfair for him to be compare to LBJ. That said, we dont know what peak LeCrab will have, its possible (not likely, but still) he will eclipse Bird, so this comparison is way too premature.
Who would win one-on-one in HORSE?

Bird: Nobody beats me in H-O-R-S-E. Besides, Magic cant shoot.

Magic: Larry, you'd have no chance against me one-on-one. I've got too many ways to beat you. Plus, as slow as I am, I'm still faster than you.

:lol:
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 895

Post#65 » by Wile E. Coyote » Mon Feb 9, 2009 3:10 pm

LuvOnTheRun wrote:bird was soft, no doubt about that.

Soft, my ass!

avacc19
Sophomore

Post#66 » by avacc19 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 4:03 pm

Birdman hands down
The Main Event
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Post#67 » by The Main Event » Mon Feb 9, 2009 4:46 pm

I would draft Bird, chriogenically freeze him and thaw him out in the the 2010 season to shut all of you up.
"A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
- Pat Riley
Harison
Starter

Post#68 » by Harison » Mon Feb 9, 2009 6:59 pm

Heh, LuvOnTheRun is a pure troll an so many bite his "posts" :wink: I just put him on ignore to avoid degrading brain cells, some nonsense is better to be skipped than read :)
Who would win one-on-one in HORSE?

Bird: Nobody beats me in H-O-R-S-E. Besides, Magic cant shoot.

Magic: Larry, you'd have no chance against me one-on-one. I've got too many ways to beat you. Plus, as slow as I am, I'm still faster than you.

:lol:
Cybulski37
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#69 » by Cybulski37 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 7:16 pm

I'm wondering if a lot of people picking Bird have read the actual OP. If you did and still selected Bird, no complaints, but it seems many people are coming in and listing career accomplishments. This thread is about PROJECTING them, not based on what they've done already. LeBron, PROJECTED, could be better than Bird. LeBron, right now, is not better than Bird for his career. But by the end of his career we will know. It's what GMs do, they draft players based on what they can become, not on what they are.
warriorfan650 wrote:Baron Davis = 2 All Star Games Played.
Jonathan Bender = 2 Games Played.

Owned!
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#70 » by Kabookalu » Mon Feb 9, 2009 7:50 pm

Cybulski37 wrote:I'm wondering if a lot of people picking Bird have read the actual OP. If you did and still selected Bird, no complaints, but it seems many people are coming in and listing career accomplishments. This thread is about PROJECTING them, not based on what they've done already. LeBron, PROJECTED, could be better than Bird. LeBron, right now, is not better than Bird for his career. But by the end of his career we will know. It's what GMs do, they draft players based on what they can become, not on what they are.

That's what I thought at first, but then he states that we'll already know how they're going to end up as. What really makes this comparison interesting is that Bird was 23 when he entered the league and Bron is 23 right now. However Bird still put up mind boggling stats with a 20/10/5 line.
pierced
Junior

Post#71 » by pierced » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Larry Bird.. Took a 29 win team to the ECF.. LBJ wasnt able to do this and was blanked by SAS in the finals..
CELTIC PRIDE
firefox390
Junior
And1: 157

Post#72 » by firefox390 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:06 am

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
LuvOnTheRun wrote:bird was soft, no doubt about that.

Soft, my ass!

On a night in 1984 versus Philadelphia where he was outscoring Julius Erving by a margin of 42-6, he continuously informed Erving of their tallies every chance he got, which resulted in first a shoving match, then swings taken by both players and culminated in a bench-clearing brawl.

Larry Bird = The Greatest Trash-Talker of All-Time.

Return to Player Comparisons