A.Randolph vs M.Beasley

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

A.Randolph vs M.Beasley 

Post#1 » by GswStorm3 » Thu Apr 2, 2009 3:22 pm

Who's going to be the better player long term?

Beasley obviously can score more right now.

But Randolph is already a much better rebounder and shotblocker than Beasley and I would give Randolph the edge as a much better overall defender. The athleticism edge definitely goes to Randolph as well.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Re: A.Randolph vs M.Beasley 

Post#2 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 2, 2009 3:55 pm

GswStorm3 wrote:Who's going to be the better player long term?

But Randolph is already a much better rebounder and shotblocker than Beasley and I would give Randolph the edge as a much better overall defender. The athleticism edge definitely goes to Randolph as well.

Apples and oranges, IMO.

Beasley is more of an offensive weapon who needs to polish his rebounding and defensive skills. Randolph is a defensive player who rebounds and blocks a shot or two. They could be on totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

Worst case for Beasley, IMO, is Corliss Williamson. Worst case for Randolph, IMO, is Lorenzo Williams. A couple of utility big men who fit their niche, but nothing else. Who knows where they'll end up?

One thing's for sure though, in order to fulfill their potential, both need to step up and earn more playing time...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Apr 2, 2009 3:56 pm

you can't compare players before age 21, you have to wait until drinking age. Especially these 2 because both of these guys look like they're going to get their drink on
Harry10
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Harry10 » Thu Apr 2, 2009 3:58 pm

Randolph........ Beasley came in NBA ready, when Randolph gets NBA ready, he is going to make alot of noise....... i think.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#5 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Apr 2, 2009 4:02 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

Apples and oranges, IMO.

Beasley is more of an offensive weapon who needs to polish his rebounding and defensive skills. Randolph is a defensive player who rebounds and blocks a shot or two. They could be on totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

Worst case for Beasley, IMO, is Corliss Williamson. Worst case for Randolph, IMO, is Lorenzo Williams. A couple of utility big men who fit their niche, but nothing else. Who knows where they'll end up?

One thing's for sure though, in order to fulfill their potential, both need to step up and earn more playing time...

I think they're both already beyond your worst case comparisons; Beasley is way more skilled than Corliss, who was basically an undersized guy who played to matchups bruising smaller defenders. Corliss had no perimeter game. I don't even know who Lorenzo Williams is, I don't know if you mean Lorenzen Wright, but Randolph has rare skills that really have no comparison.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by GswStorm3 » Thu Apr 2, 2009 4:18 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

Apples and oranges, IMO.

Apples and oranges? They're both 20(Dolph in a few months) year old left handed power forwards. I get that you're saying both just excel at different aspects of the game. But this will be a legitimate comparison in the future imo.
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#7 » by some_rand » Thu Apr 2, 2009 4:35 pm

beasley is a better scorer
randolph is better at everything else
so it depends what you want, an elite scorer or a guy who is all over the floor and fills up the stat sheet
i'll take randolph
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 2, 2009 4:57 pm

some_rand,

That implies that all Beasley does is score, making him thoroughly incompetent in other aspects of the game. He's not. Give me the guy who can take over a game. I'll take Beasley...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#9 » by 5DOM » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:06 pm

BBallFreak wrote:some_rand,

That implies that all Beasley does is score, making him thoroughly incompetent in other aspects of the game. He's not. Give me the guy who can take over a game. I'll take Beasley...

Maybe he just means that Randolph is great at everything else.
canefandynasty
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#10 » by canefandynasty » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:06 pm

Beasley is a 28-32 PPG type scorer and 8-10 RPG type player.

Randolph is a defensive stopper. Quit comparing Beasley to scrubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbUKIyuGqrk
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:10 pm

5DOM wrote:

At this point in his career, I don't think you can call him great at much of anything. If he were, he'd be getting more than 15 minutes a game. He's good, don't get me wrong, but greatness comes with achievement. Let's not throw the word great around too loosely, OK?
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#12 » by some_rand » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:11 pm

LOL, is that the best video you got? that means absolutely nothing a couple of plays from 2 on 2 game with no intensity.

but then again you think beasley is a 35/10 player if he doesnt have to play with wade
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:13 pm

canefandynasty wrote:Beasley is a 28-32 PPG type scorer

NO! Stop it. Stop making yourself look like a homer. 28-32 ppg makes him one of the best players in the NBA. No one looking at his game all year with any kind of objectivity could say that. It's just not a rational expectation. He is eventually going to be a second option in this league, and will probably average in the low to mid 20's, but expecting him to lead the league in scoring, or even be close to it, is ridiculous...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#14 » by 5DOM » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:15 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
5DOM wrote:

At this point in his career, I don't think you can call him great at much of anything. If he were, he'd be getting more than 15 minutes a game. He's good, don't get me wrong, but greatness comes with achievement. Let's not throw the word great around too loosely, OK?

Okey.
I think I worded it wrong.
What I meant to say is "Maybe he just means that Randolph would simply be better than Beasley at everything else"
Then it doesnt necessarily mean that Beasley would be a one dimensional player.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:15 pm

5DOM wrote:Okey.
I think I worded it wrong.
What I meant to say is "Maybe he just means that Randolph would simply be better than Beasley at everything else"
Then it doesnt necessarily mean that Beasley would be a one dimensional player.

Then he could have said that. Either way, I don't agree with him. I like Randolph, but I'd prefer to have the guy who can take over the game...
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by GswStorm3 » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:18 pm

canefandynasty wrote:Beasley is a 28-32 PPG type scorer and 8-10 RPG type player.

Randolph is a defensive stopper. Quit comparing Beasley to scrubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbUKIyuGqrk

I don't care how many points Beasley scores, his defense is still very poor. Randolph has played some center this season and actually held his own protecting the paint against players twice his size.

I seriously hope you're joking digging up an old video of a 17 year old A.Randolph and then calling him a scrub.
canefandynasty
Banned User

Post#17 » by canefandynasty » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:30 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
canefandynasty wrote:Beasley is a 28-32 PPG type scorer

NO! Stop it. Stop making yourself look like a homer. 28-32 ppg makes him one of the best players in the NBA. No one looking at his game all year with any kind of objectivity could say that. It's just not a rational expectation. He is eventually going to be a second option in this league, and will probably average in the low to mid 20's, but expecting him to lead the league in scoring, or even be close to it, is ridiculous...

Give him a terrible team and he would do just about what Durant did his rookie season. If you don't think he can score with the best of 'em then you are a fool. Melo almost averaged 30 in a season. Beasley has just about the same skillset and like Melo, is a volume scorer. Can score in a variety of ways. Not to mention he hasn't filled out yet.

When Beasley is 27 Wade will be 35. Beasley will be in his prime and Wade will be way past his prime. Beasley would have to be the #1 scoring option by them. I can see him averaging:

28-32 PPG | 8-10 RPG | 2-3 APG | .500 FG | .350 3-PT FG | .826 FT

by then, or something close to that. He's too good a prolific scorer not to shoot something like that. Beasley averages over 17 shots a game on a slow-paced team. And he's a second option. First opition, I expect him to scoot over 20 times at least.

Jamison averaged 13 shots (per 36) his rookie season, on a super fast paced team
Bosh 10 shots per 36 (never averaged over 15.5)
Nowitzki 12.6
Amare 11.6 shots per 36 (never averaged over 16.6)

Lets look at the following renown volume scorers their rookie seasons (per 36)

Melo 17.6
Durant 17.8
LeBron 17.2
Beasley 17.0 (second option on the Heat)

The only time Wade did not play this season, Beasley had the most attempts he ever took in a game (18), and he ended up having:

21 points | 7 rebounds | 2 assists in 32 minutes

Just about the average he would have if he played on a terrible team
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#18 » by killacalijatt » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:52 pm

Yesterday in 19 minutes AR4 had 17 points and 10 rebounds and hardly stepped on the court in the second half maybe cuzz he had 5 fouls but if you have a sixth and cant use it whats the point?

THe other day against the spurs he had 13 points 9 rebounds 5 blocks, in 25 minutes
2 games ago he had 10 points 4 blocks 3 steals 14 rebounds in 30 minutes

AR4 averages more blocks, more rebounds, more steals in 10 less minutes played thats a huge difference
canefandynasty
Banned User

Post#19 » by canefandynasty » Thu Apr 2, 2009 5:55 pm

killacalijatt wrote:Yesterday in 19 minutes AR4 had 17 points and 10 rebounds and hardly stepped on the court in the second half maybe cuzz he had 5 fouls but if you have a sixth and cant use it whats the point?

THe other day against the spurs he had 13 points 9 rebounds 5 blocks, in 25 minutes

AR4 averages more blocks, more rebounds, more steals in 10 less minutes played thats a huge difference

Randolph is a Josh Smith type of player

Beasley is in the Durant-Melo mold
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#20 » by killacalijatt » Thu Apr 2, 2009 6:31 pm

canefandynasty wrote:
killacalijatt wrote:Yesterday in 19 minutes AR4 had 17 points and 10 rebounds and hardly stepped on the court in the second half maybe cuzz he had 5 fouls but if you have a sixth and cant use it whats the point?

Randolph is a Josh Smith type of player

Beasley is in the Durant-Melo mold

How is that? only thing Beasley does better in 10 more minutes a game is score and even that is only 6 more points, If AR4 got those 10 extra minutes he'd be scoring at the same pace as Beasley and killing him in every other catagory, Raping him to be exact
AMoungst Rookies AR4 is 4th in PER ahead of Beasley,

Return to Player Comparisons