A.Randolph vs M.Beasley

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Re: A.Randolph vs M.Beasley 

Post#41 » by Wade2k6 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 7:13 pm

If Beasley was playing on a terrible team like the Warriors that play at a very high pace there's no doubt in my mind he would be averaging 20 ppg with about 7-8 rebounds a game.

They're in much different situations so they're hard to compare right now. Beasley is playing on a playoff team and Randolph is not. I think the comparison will be much more clear by the end of next season (and by the middle of their 3rd years).
Wade2k6
RealGM

Post#42 » by Wade2k6 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 7:19 pm

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:You make no sense. Randolph is in fact further from his peak. He was less polished coming in. He still is less polished and doesn't have a great skill set yet. Beasley is closer to being what he will be in the future, he's just not that good. He was the most NBA-Ready player in the draft, hard concept for some to understand but yes that means he's going to be closer to his peak coming in as opposed to other guys who have a long road to climb first.

Dwyane Wade was more skilled and polished then Milicic in the '03 draft. Does that automatically make him closer to his ceiling, just because he's more skilled at the time of the draft? Because Wade has sure as hell improved more then Milicic throughout their careers.

OHHH OKAY I UNDERSTAND i guess just because Randolph is less skilled at the same age means he has a higher ceiling? Right. Flawed logic on your part. I guess by your logic Hibbert, Ryan Anderson and JJ Hickson are also further away from their ceiling then Beasley too, because all 3 of them were less NBA ready and skilled then Beasley coming into the draft, and are still less skilled.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#43 » by GswStorm3 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 7:22 pm

Until Beasley's defense improves those pre-draft Zach Randolph comparisons aren't going to be too far off.

All Randolph really has to do is get his mid range jumper consistent and it truly will be watch out league.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,789

Post#44 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 3, 2009 7:29 pm

This is a major apples and oranges comparison IMO. Their styles of play and team situations could not be more different for two rookies who play basically the same position.

Like the voices of reason have said, I'll wait 2-3 years before making my call on this one.
Soca
Veteran
And1: 842

Post#45 » by Soca » Fri Apr 3, 2009 7:37 pm

I'll go with Randolph because I think he just has big defensive potential with his shot blocking skills. Randolph's length and shot blocking also gives you some versatility to slide him to Center if needed.

Beasley because he's undersized doesn't present that same versatility as Randolph.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#46 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:09 pm

Wade2k6 wrote:
WadeKnicks2010 wrote:You make no sense. Randolph is in fact further from his peak. He was less polished coming in. He still is less polished and doesn't have a great skill set yet. Beasley is closer to being what he will be in the future, he's just not that good. He was the most NBA-Ready player in the draft, hard concept for some to understand but yes that means he's going to be closer to his peak coming in as opposed to other guys who have a long road to climb first.

Dwyane Wade was more skilled and polished then Milicic in the '03 draft. Does that automatically make him closer to his ceiling, just because he's more skilled at the time of the draft? Because Wade has sure as hell improved more then Milicic throughout their careers.

OHHH OKAY I UNDERSTAND i guess just because Randolph is less skilled at the same age means he has a higher ceiling? Right. Flawed logic on your part. I guess by your logic Hibbert, Ryan Anderson and JJ Hickson are also further away from their ceiling then Beasley too, because all 3 of them were less NBA ready and skilled then Beasley coming into the draft, and are still less skilled.

Horrible comparisons used there.

Do you know what a ceiling is? If you want to say Beasley is going to be better, fine. But he doesn't have as high a ceiling as Randolph. I wasn't arguing that being polished = lesser ceiling, no. Learn some reading comprehension unless you're blatantly misconstruing that on purpose to play dumb. Randolph has the potential to be a much better player than Beasley, whether he does has yet to be seen. Beasley is at best a run of the mill forward who likes the perimeter and doesn't play a lick of defense, as all objective viewers and even Heat fans would attest to. Not much of a passer either. But Randolph on the other hand could be a solid interior defensive big man which are vital to being an elite team. The Heat themselves were lacking a true NBA caliber center for most the season until recently where they got Jermaine O'Neal.

Who knows where these two will be in the future. Michael Beasley has to work on being the best power forward on his team at the moment. He's currently being benched behind an undrafted undersized forward.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#47 » by RoyceDa59 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:28 pm

canefandynasty wrote:Beasley is a 28-32 PPG type scorer and 8-10 RPG type player.

Randolph is a defensive stopper. Quit comparing Beasley to scrubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbUKIyuGqrk

32 and 10 eh? Shaq never even did that.

I think 20 / 8 is much more realistic, but I do think Beaser has tremendous upside and will be a suitable 2nd fiddle to Wade. Miami's got something pretty special going on over there, I think they will develop into a team to be reckon with in a few years.
Go Raps!!
Wade2k6
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wade2k6 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:40 pm

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:Do you know what a ceiling is? If you want to say Beasley is going to be better, fine. But he doesn't have as high a ceiling as Randolph.

How do you figure? Both are the same age. Beasley was picked higher. Beasley was an all-american last year, Beasley was 2nd in POTY for college and put up 25-12 AS A FRESHMEN. To say he doesn't have as high a ceiling as Randolph is just wrong.

I wasn't arguing that being polished = lesser ceiling, no. Learn some reading comprehension unless you're blatantly misconstruing that on purpose to play dumb. Randolph has the potential to be a much better player than Beasley, whether he does has yet to be seen.

I'm not misconstruing what you said, you said Beasley is closer to his ceiling right now. Why? Once again let me state this again, just because Beasley is more skilled and NBA ready doesn't mean he's closer to his ceiling. That's a ridiculously flawed logic. And if you disagree, why?

Beasley is at best a run of the mill forward who likes the perimeter and doesn't play a lick of defense, as all objective viewers and even Heat fans would attest to. Not much of a passer either.

Nice. Just throw claims out without backing anything up. Bosh, Dirk (Aldrige) are all jumpshooting big men, does that mean they are "run of the mill forwards" as well? Beasleys defense has actually been pretty decent lately, and has improved alot throughout the year, but I wouldn't expect you to know because I'm sure you have watched all of 5 Heat games all year. And finally, Beasley might not be a great passing forward, but neither is Randolph. So I'm not really sure why you're questioning Beasleys passing but not Randolphs.

But Randolph on the other hand could be a solid interior defensive big man which are vital to being an elite team. The Heat themselves were lacking a true NBA caliber center for most the season until recently where they got Jermaine O'Neal.
Yeah he could be, but so could Beasley. What's your point? Second, I would like to see Randolph add about another 20-30 pounds on his frame. Because if he doesn't he will absoultely get pushed around by the TDs, Nenes, etc. of the league.

2nd, What does the Heat getting JON have anything to do with this comparison?

Who knows where these two will be in the future. Michael Beasley has to work on being the best power forward on his team at the moment. He's currently being benched behind an undrafted undersized forward.

Michael Beasley plays with a PF that has great chemistry with Wade, plays pretty good D (which SPO loves), and has a great relationship with Spo. Haslem is a better player then the Brandon Wright so I'm not sure what your point is.

And finally as I said before, if Beasley played on the Warriors (who play on a top 3 paced team every single year) he would be putting up 20 ppg and about 7-8 boards per game.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:15 pm

You still make no sense. You're obviously just trying to argue with me for the sake of arguing. Forget it, you're not worth it man. All you do is use conjecture and putting words in my mouth to drag this on. I'm sorry I don't feel like playing. Just stop embarrassing yourself. The majority of posters agree, and justifiably so that Randolph has the higher ceiling. I can't see how you're standing here arguing this. You're the only one who thinks Beasley has the higher ceiling(and Canefandynasty of course). And not coincidentally you're both Heat fans.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,258

Post#50 » by BBallFreak » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:39 pm

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:You still make no sense. You're obviously just trying to argue with me for the sake of arguing. Forget it, you're not worth it man. All you do is use conjecture and putting words in my mouth to drag this on. I'm sorry I don't feel like playing. Just stop embarrassing yourself. The majority of posters agree, and justifiably so that Randolph has the higher ceiling. I can't see how you're standing here arguing this. You're the only one who thinks Beasley has the higher ceiling(and Canefandynasty of course). And not coincidentally you're both Heat fans.

Add me to that list, and I'm a Heat fan too. And guess what? You've done nothing to prove your case. You've got a pair of uber-young players and you claim one has a higher ceiling than the other because he's not as polished. Well, I find that to be ridiculous.

You're a Wade fan. Obviously you are because you want him on your team in 2k10. So, do you remember what people around here said about Wade in comparison to Melo and LeBron during their rookie campaign? "Wade has reached his ceiling - at 16.2 points per game - because he's the oldest out of them and is the most nba ready." I assume you know how how wrong they were.

No, the sensible people around here are telling you to wait 2-3 years, and are doing so for a reason. Their situations are completely different, they're both far too young to be considered polished NBA products, and neither player deserves to be judged on this season alone...
canefandynasty
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#51 » by canefandynasty » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:47 pm

WadeKincks,

How does Randolph have the higher ceiling? If he had more pounds to his frame, then you'll have something, but remember that he is defending a power position. PFs would be able to post him up all day in the halfcourt. You don't see the terrible man defense that he plays, only the spectular weakside blocks that makes him look like a better defender than he is. Heck, he even plays on a team that doesn't emphasize defense.

Add that to the fact he mostly relies on athleticism to score. Most (if not all) of his highlight reels on YouTube had someone else creating for him, or putbacks. He cannot create his own shot to the extent of Beasleys, and one can argue his stats are inflated due to the system he plays in. Let him play on a slow paced team like Miami (we're talking bottom 10) and his stats wouldn't look as impressive. The pace allows for him to get more opportunities to go for the block or steal, when he should be looking to try and make the person hes guarding take a difficult shot (Beasley is actually as good in that department).

How many skinny PFs in the league became defensive juggernauts in the post. KG is an exception however.
sdeezy
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#52 » by sdeezy » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:48 pm

Randolph = Lamar Odom on a sugar high
Beasley = Melo + 10-15 lbs

I'll take Beasley though..for now that is..simply because i can give him the ball when i need a bucket
montestewart wrote:Blatche and McGee standing next to Boozer and Thomas reminded me of first-time offenders meeting real cons in a "scared straight" program.
The Sludge
Senior
And1: 0

Post#53 » by The Sludge » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:48 pm

Right now, I take Beasley. It's close, but when you need to just put the ball in the hoop efficiently, it's got to be Beasley.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:52 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
Add me to that list, and I'm a Heat fan too. And guess what? You've done nothing to prove your case. You've got a pair of uber-young players and you claim one has a higher ceiling than the other because he's not as polished. Well, I find that to be ridiculous.

You're a Wade fan. Obviously you are because you want him on your team in 2k10. So, do you remember what people around here said about Wade in comparison to Melo and LeBron during their rookie campaign? "Wade has reached his ceiling - at 16.2 points per game - because he's the oldest out of them and is the most nba ready." I assume you know how how wrong they were.

No, the sensible people around here are telling you to wait 2-3 years, and are doing so for a reason. Their situations are completely different, they're both far too young to be considered polished NBA products, and neither player deserves to be judged on this season alone...

Again you're misconstruing my argument on purpose. Just like that other guy. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt anyway. I'm not saying one has a higher ceiling BECAUSE he's not as polished. That was a response to that guy who argued with my statement that Beasley is closer to his ceiling than Randolph is. I think we can all agree on that. Beasley already has game. He can drive he can do a lot of things well. He has a stronger skillset than Randolph, as expected since Beasley was considered by all experts to be the most NBA-ready player in the draft. This isn't a comparison of who has the higher ceiling. This is a comparison of who is closer to it.

Now as to why I think Randolph has the higher ceiling(note to repeat myself, this is separate from my previous paragraph. What I sad until now has nothing to do with this, it solely had to do with who was closer to their ceiling, not who has the higher one). I believe centers who can defend and protect the interior and rebound at a strong rate are a very valuable commodity in this league. The guy who's about 6'10 and up, can block shots, plays good help defense, and rebounds... I'd venture to say that's the most sought after player in basketball. Randolph can become that. Beasley on the other hand. If I gave him the benefit and assessed his ceiling, he'll always be a tweener forward who isn't quick enough to guard small forwards and is too small to guard big guys defensively. He'll get his shot blocked often when playing against taller frontlines and will never be a great finisher. He just doesn't have the tools, which limits his ceiling.. He'll certainly be able to hit the 20s though in points..

P.S. Its a little bit of a misconception that I'm a Wade fan. I can only be a fan of a player if they play for my team. I'm a Knicks fan. As a Knicks fan I want to have a good team. To have a good team you need good players. In my opinion Dwyane Wade is the best player in the NBA currently. Thus I want him on the Knicks. If he goes 0-82 next season and doesn't sell any jerseys or sneakers I wouldn't care less.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#55 » by GswStorm3 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 10:09 pm

canefandynasty wrote:WadeKincks,

How does Randolph have the higher ceiling? If he had more pounds to his frame, then you'll have something, but remember that he is defending a power position. PFs would be able to post him up all day in the halfcourt. You don't see the terrible man defense that he plays, only the spectular weakside blocks that makes him look like a better defender than he is. Heck, he even plays on a team that doesn't emphasize defense.

Add that to the fact he mostly relies on athleticism to score. Most (if not all) of his highlight reels on YouTube had someone else creating for him, or putbacks. He cannot create his own shot to the extent of Beasleys, and one can argue his stats are inflated due to the system he plays in. Let him play on a slow paced team like Miami (we're talking bottom 10) and his stats wouldn't look as impressive. The pace allows for him to get more opportunities to go for the block or steal, when he should be looking to try and make the person hes guarding take a difficult shot (Beasley is actually as good in that department).

How many skinny PFs in the league became defensive juggernauts in the post. KG is an exception however.

So basically you're saying Randolph is done growing into his body at only 19 years old? It's been only a year since Randolph was playing at LSU he's already added some muscle definition to his body.

"only the spectular weakside blocks that makes him look like a better defender than he is"

Yeah but what shot blocking is Beasley doing in Miami? His poor defense is part of the reason why he's not even starting right now.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#56 » by killacalijatt » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:50 am

AR4 with nearly a double double at the half with 12 points and 9 boards
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#57 » by J-Rich- » Sat Apr 4, 2009 5:02 am

Randolph with a 20pt/15rebound tonight vs hornets and most of his pts werent from passes just like more than half his points arent from passes in other games.
killacalijatt
General Manager

Post#58 » by killacalijatt » Sat Apr 4, 2009 5:19 am

AR4 with a 20/15 game with only 1 block though this game
Dont even talk about pace Warriors only took 77 shots

This guys upside is >>>>>compared to Beasleys
killacalijatt
General Manager

Post#59 » by killacalijatt » Sat Apr 4, 2009 5:21 am

Not to mention hes the YOUNGEST player in the league, and he continues to back up the posters who are defending him on REALGM
killacalijatt
General Manager

Post#60 » by killacalijatt » Sat Apr 4, 2009 5:37 am

Since the league started tracking blocked shots as a stat in 1973, there have been only a handful of rookies who have played at least 890 minutes (the same amount Randolph clocked heading into Friday’s game with the New Orleans Hornets) and put up per-minute averages as high or better than Randolph’s in terms of scoring (21.3 points per 48 minutes), rebounding (15.5) and blocks (3.6).

And let’s just say the list puts Randolph in pretty good company.

In chronological order:

** Hakeem Olajuwon (HOU, 1984-85, 27.9 points, 16.0 rebounds, 3.6 blocks per 48 minutes)

** David Robinson (SAS, 1989-90, 31.9, 15.7, 5.1)

** Shaquille O’Neal (ORL, 1992-93, 29.6, 17.5, 4.5)

That’s it.

His 20/15 backs him up on the per 48 even though he only played 35

Return to Player Comparisons