A.Randolph vs M.Beasley

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Re: A.Randolph vs M.Beasley 

Post#401 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:06 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:When did KG put on 20 pounds in one offseason?

I was using his listing without shoes in comparison to KG.

He'll be strong enough to PLAY PF, but being able to guard someone, and being able to establish strong position are two entirely different things.

I think both guys have a lot of their talent wasted if you pigeonhole them into one position.

I like big lineups personally, and I'd try to get both of them in at SF if I could, but that's just me.

It was when he made the jump over 250, they had an article I think on real GM about how he and Murphy put on weight. I won't really disagree with the above statement to much, it's fair.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,096

Post#402 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:06 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:The New York Knicks website lists Eddy Curry at 285 pounds.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/roster/

Yeah, they never lie about weight on team websites. :roll:

Quoted for emphasis. If you can convince me Curry is really 285, I'll believe Randolph is 210.
dookieguy
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#403 » by dookieguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:11 am

22/5 for Beasley in 12 minutes. He's doing a helluva job on the boards these past 5 games as a starter.

Last 5 Games a starter: 24.5 ppg, 11.4 rpg in just 32mpg.

I just hope this carries on to the playoffs and next season.

On the comparison notes, I think AR is definitely a special player, and he was a steal at that draft position, but I just don't feel he'll ever have the superior offensive ability required to become a true superstar in the league.
Soca
Veteran
And1: 845

Post#404 » by Soca » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:36 am

Randolph is going to make a great point forward, special player indeed.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,291

Post#405 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:18 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:They list Beasley at 6'9". My point has been proven.

They always use height with shoes rounded up. 6'7 without, 6'8.25 with, 6'9 on the player card.

So, how many effective power forwards have their been listed at 6'9"? I'd venture to say hundreds. My point, my good friend, has just been proven by you. Thank you for your assistance.
I'm pretty sure they don't put rocks in the pockets of the players hough...

Miami used to lie about Shaq's weight all the time.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#406 » by NetsForce » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Randolph is more Kirilenko than anything else right now. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#407 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:27 pm

BBallFreak wrote:So, how many effective power forwards have their been listed at 6'9"? I'd venture to say hundreds. My point, my good friend, has just been proven by you. Thank you for your assistance.

Huh? Listed at 6'9, lots. But ones that are actual 6'7 with a small standing reach like Beasley? Have fun finding ten out of these hundreds now.(1)

And according to you guys Randolph is going to have trouble because he's weak, and he's only going to get stronger. You have given zero examples of him having trouble with this(0), but we have shown that he is a great rebounder(2) and had zero problem finishing at the basket(3). Two things weak big men have problems with.

3-0, me, thanks for playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWxhQ3JAdRE
canefandynasty
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#408 » by canefandynasty » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:35 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:So, how many effective power forwards have their been listed at 6'9"? I'd venture to say hundreds. My point, my good friend, has just been proven by you. Thank you for your assistance.

Huh? Listed at 6'9, lots. But ones that are actual 6'7 with a small standing reach like Beasley? Have fun finding ten out of these hundreds now.

Josh Smith
Shawn Marion
Thaddues Young
Al Horford
Joakim Noah

Have all defended PFs pretty decently
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#409 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:43 pm

canefandynasty wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

Huh? Listed at 6'9, lots. But ones that are actual 6'7 with a small standing reach like Beasley? Have fun finding ten out of these hundreds now.

Josh Smith
Shawn Marion
Thaddues Young
Al Horford
Joakim Noah

Have all defended PFs pretty decently

Marion... small forward, was eaten alive on man defense when he played PF
Young... Small Forward, playing some PF due to injury
Noah... Not that good
Harford... Not that good
Smith... more of a small forward forced to play PF

You just showed me tweeners, guys who aren't good enough for either position... Find me some GOOD power forwards.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#410 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm

With Beasleys size these are the cream of the crop

canefandynasty wrote:Josh Smith
Shawn Marion
Thaddues Young
Al Horford
Joakim Noah

With Randolph size these are the cream of the crop
Garnett
Brand
Odom
Gasol
Aldridge
Nowitzki
etc. etc. etc.

Just face it, like most players he's not perfect.
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#411 » by yehyeh82 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:56 pm

Give it a rest, Oaktown, Beasley's frickin' good. They both are, and right now none of us can say what their future is going to bring. They are both so young that it could go either way.
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
BlaZeN27
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#412 » by BlaZeN27 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:18 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:With Beasleys size these are the cream of the crop

canefandynasty wrote:Josh Smith
Shawn Marion
Thaddues Young
Al Horford
Joakim Noah

With Randolph size these are the cream of the crop
Garnett
Brand
Odom
Gasol
Aldridge
Nowitzki
etc. etc. etc.

Just face it, like most players he's not perfect.

Lmfao, just making up names I see. What do Gasol, Brand, Nowitzki have anything to do with Randolph? Give me a break.

You claiming Al Horford is not that good should eliminate all credibility you have at this point. I love how you leave out Kevin Love, Paul Millsap, and David Lee. You keep repeating yourself saying he has a small standing reach but its just not true. His standing reach is above average for a player that is 6'7 without shoes.

Like the guy above me said, give it a rest.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#413 » by Wade2k6 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:39 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

I forgot that players play the game of basketball in barefeet. They play with shoes on, so he's 6'8 1/4 .

First off, 3/4 of an inch isn't going to stop a player as talented as Beasley from reaching his potential. If a PF is 6'9 nobody would consider them undersized, and Beasley is 3/4 of an inch from being 6'9. And 2nd, he has shown the ability to finish around the rim the last month or two (which is why his FG% has gone up so much the last month or so) so I'm not sure why his height is even being brought up as a problem for him.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,175
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#414 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:20 pm

They don't play in barefeet, but they also don't play in the ultrapadded shoes and multiple pairs of socks they wear to measure in at the pre-draft camp.

That's like saying NFL players should be weighed in pads and helmet, that's what they play the game in.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#415 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:22 pm

His standing reach maybe good for a guy that's 6'7 but not for a PF, and the other guys that are also small... and still not elite PF BTW, make up for it in other areas... Beasley is not doing that right now. He's an offensive player and will most likely never be a good defender.

Like I have said the entire time, great player but he will never be one of the best... learn to accept it than I will give it a rest.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#416 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:26 pm

doesn't matter, neither are going to anchor an elite defense, they will both have to be a piece of a defense as opposed to THE defense.

To clarify, Beasley is always going to have trouble with some guys that can shoot over the top of him, likewise, Randolph is never going to be able to hold his ground against the stronger 4's in the league, and Beasley is already pretty damn strong.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,291

Post#417 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:52 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:His standing reach maybe good for a guy that's 6'7 but not for a PF, and the other guys that are also small... and still not elite PF BTW, make up for it in other areas... Beasley is not doing that right now. He's an offensive player and will most likely never be a good defender.

Oh great Nostradamus, can you give me the lottery numbers for NY state while your predicting? It's up to $109 million and I could really use the capitol.

Seriously, this is just dumb stuff you keep spewing. Charles Oakley and Dennis Rodman were both in the same height range as Beasley, going up against 6'10" power forwards, but neither was considered anything but a stellar defender at their position. Anyone remember Brian Grant? He played center in Miami and was, by no means, big enough to play the position, but he anchored some very good defensive groups in Miami. Hell, Udonis Haslem is considered to be a pretty damned good defender at the position and he's barely 6'7" with shoes on. It's not about wingspan. It's effort, positioning, footwork, and heart.

Now, will Beasley become an elite defender at the power forward position? Probably not, but it's not because he's too small. That's just asinine.

Like I have said the entire time, great player but he will never be one of the best... learn to accept it than I will give it a rest.

Unfortunately for you, no one recognizes you as the ultimate authority in basketball. Learn to accept THAT...
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#418 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Beasley's tools don't stop him from being an effective man defender, they just stop him from being a dominant anchor like Garnett, Duncan, etc. He can be a very good defender with his quickness and his strength to deny position.

I don't see Randolph being an anchor either, that's why I think this is a stupid argument.
BlaZeN27
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#419 » by BlaZeN27 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Beasley's tools don't stop him from being an effective man defender, they just stop him from being a dominant anchor like Garnett, Duncan, etc. He can be a very good defender with his quickness and his strength to deny position.

I don't see Randolph being an anchor either, that's why I think this is a stupid argument.

Exactly.

Even if Beasley's defense is just above average, that still is huge considering how many points he can put on the board. Most elite scorers aren't amazing defensive anchors either. I'll be just fine if Beasley can grab 10 boards a game, play solid defense, and block a shot a game (which he has definitely showed the ability to do so, if not more). I do not expect Beasley to be Carlos Boozer on the defensive side of the ball.
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#420 » by J-Rich- » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Here's another sample from the last game of what Randolph will do to the league for the next 15 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsepV-kEIkY

Return to Player Comparisons