Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

indiefan23
Sophomore
And1: 0

Scoring Assist Differential - Breaking Down The Kobe Laker E 

Post#1 » by indiefan23 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:56 am

Scoring Assist Differential - Breaking Down The Kobe Laker Era

Accuracy Rating: 6

Check out this stat that analyzes assist production with respect to scoring, and then applies it to the post-Shaq Kobe era lakers. Scoring/assist differential. Its not loving on Kobe, but its quite fair. Definitely an original view of the stats.

Is anyone else here good with the numbers and would like to talk abut the legitimacy/illegitimacy of such a statistic and it's use in comparing players?

Cheers real GM!

http://www.fullcourtpest.com/2009/06/sc ... aking.html
Check out fullcourtpest.com, a place for intelligent, through and humorous basketball analysis.

Latest article: LayMan's Math: Wilt Chamberlain's Sexual Statistics
LebronsCavs
Banned User

Re: Scoring Assist Differential - Breaking Down The Kobe Laker E 

Post#2 » by LebronsCavs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:08 am

This article is very legit. this was my fav part:

5. How many more 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90+ point games would these other guys on this list have if they played Kobe ball? I'm going to say that if Jordan had 0 dimes instead of 6, and 3 boards, not 18 when he scored 69 points it would only be a questions of how close he sat to Wilt.
Lebron Playing Kobe-Ball For 2 Minutes, People Knock Lebron For Not Having A 60 Point Game? What?
If he passes 12 times to get 6 dimes and hit 62%, he's at something like 85-86 points. If he was not crashing the boards and was playing the worst defensive team in the league (Raptors) instead of great defensive team, I think Jordan break's Wilt's record.

The other guys go way up too. Wade's 48/12 pushes 60 as does 50/9, 48/11 and even 46/10. So does Iverson's 58/6, 60/6 goes up, maybe to 70, and 51/6. Arenas 60/8 pushes 70 for sure, and 51/5, 47/8 and 54/4 all push 60.

Lebron is the best scorer of this decade if he played this way. 56/5, 55/9, 52/11, 52/7/, 51/9, 51/9, 51/8, 50/9 and 50/10 all go upwards of 60 points. Its not even close.
Frosty
General Manager
And1: 13,499

Post#3 » by Frosty » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Who are these high totals against? If you believe this scoring to win theory, you may be surprised. I'm going to call it the 27, 32, 60, 32, 22, 33, 23, 37, 22, 52 club. Those are the opponent season win totals of Kobe's top 10 scoring games. 1.5 quality wins vs Dallas and Houston... the only .450+ teams. 1.5 as Vs. Houston he scored 53 twice in the same season going 1-1. LA was supposed to win the others. Its really a revision to say Kobe was shooting "because its the only way they could win" instead of padding his stats.

I've been saying this for years but never actually looked at the stats. Kobe is a bottom feeder :lol:
Atheism is a non-prophet organization
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#4 » by Kobay » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:12 pm

I didn't know stat nerds were having a party today.
ugkfan2681
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#5 » by ugkfan2681 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:29 pm

i usually bash kobe but this thread is stupid give the man his due.
Frosty
General Manager
And1: 13,499

Post#6 » by Frosty » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Kobay wrote:I didn't know stat nerds were having a party today.

:roll:
Atheism is a non-prophet organization
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#7 » by Kobay » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Its funny tho, every single player who came and left kobe's team had significantly better % with. Of course some of them are out of the NBA and can't even sniff much time. I wonder how good kobe's team could have been if they could play defense like Iverson's 76ers , LeBron's cavs etc.

Too bad lebron the beast couldn't make his teammates shoot better with those awesome "assists".

I sometimes forget the point of this game, oh ya score more than the opponent.

Ya, send me an invite when ur holding this kind of a party its a good practice for my analytical and math skills.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Malinhion » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Solid article. Obviously the guy doesn't like Kobe, but the stats don't lie.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#9 » by Patterns » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:51 pm

Malinhion wrote:Solid article. Obviously the guy doesn't like Kobe, but the stats don't lie.

At 19 Kobe told t-mac that he was already better then Jordan, he was going to crush him.

What a load of crap and he has bad grammar too.
Malinhion
Banned User

Post#10 » by Malinhion » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Also he was wrong about the Hea't run with rookie Wade. They beat the Hornets in the first round, then lost to the league-leading Pacers in the second round, who lost to the Pistons in the conference finals, who won the title over the Lakers.
LebronsCavs
Banned User

Post#11 » by LebronsCavs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm

This article should shut the kobe fans up. Kobe is a stat padder, not until this year did he kind of understand how to win.
LebronsCavs
Banned User

Post#12 » by LebronsCavs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Kobay wrote:Its funny tho, every single player who came and left kobe's team had significantly better % with. Of course some of them are out of the NBA and can't even sniff much time. I wonder how good kobe's team could have been if they could play defense like Iverson's 76ers , LeBron's cavs etc.

Too bad lebron the beast couldn't make his teammates shoot better with those awesome "assists".

I sometimes forget the point of this game, oh ya score more than the opponent.

Ya, send me an invite when ur holding this kind of a party its a good practice for my analytical and math skills.

The Laker's were 33-3 this year when Kobe shot less than 20 shots. Its obvious he kills ball movement when he ball hogs and kills everyone else's rhythm as well. When he feeds his immensely talented team the ball they flourish.
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 895

Post#13 » by Wile E. Coyote » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:19 pm

"I can feel your anger. Give in to your hatred. Good, good!"
Malinhion
Banned User

Post#14 » by Malinhion » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:19 pm

LebronsCavs wrote:This article should shut the kobe fans up. Kobe is a stat padder, not until this year did he kind of understand how to win.

Do you even attempt to add anything to the discussion?

I'm putting you on the ignore list until you're banned.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#15 » by microfib4thewin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:36 pm

There are some truths to his conclusion, but there are also times that Kobe shot a lot during a Laker loss because no one aside from him could create. It certainly does not change the fact that he has been inefficient for most of his career, though there are games where the team offense fails and Kobe had to take over.

What is highly questionable is the following. He directed every loss at Kobe for shooting, well, Wade scored 55 on the Magic and lost by 20, should I say then if Wade let his teammates scored more they would have won? Kobe didn't have Wade's efficiency, but that doesn't take away that it could be a misguided conclusion, maybe they would have lost anyways if Kobe shared the ball. Who knows? Even on those 'quality wins' he has to cite reasons other than Kobe for the cause of winning. The author credits the Lakers win on the other team shooting badly, then conveniently ignore the non-existent D against the Bobcats and the Grizzles(38 FTA for both teams).

Then you get to the part where he says Kobe had help and he has the guts to include Cook and Smush. He concluded that they didn't work out in LA was all because Kobe couldn't develop young talents. First, MJ may have done something to make Pippen to become the player that everyone will remember him by, but he must have the will to work for it, and to put everything on MJ for Scottie's accomplishments is utterly foolish. Cook and Smush have never been players that follow coach's orders well, and their work ethic are pretty bad for pro players. Was Kobe also responsible for Smush hitting a valet? Was Kobe responsible for an out of shape Cook buried on a very shallow Orlando bench? They're adults, not babies. If they can't find playing time elsewhere then that means they didn't work hard enough. There is only so much a star player can do, everything else is up to the role player if he wants to step up.

That second to the last paragraph also deserves a laugh, he mentioned guys like Kareem, Magic, West, MJ, and Lebron on how they always make the talent around them better and was never held back by them. This was written after Mo Williams finished the Magic series with 37% shooting and neither Big Ben or Z played any form of defense against Dwight and Rashard. To me, this sounds like someone who doesn't like Kobe and try to disguise it with an objective approach. Kobe should certainly have a better assist conversion rate if he is truly great, but there are so many sections of the article that are either questionable or downright false it's not worth reading unless you need to feed your hatred for Kobe.
kflo
Sophomore

Post#16 » by kflo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:50 pm

kobe has not been inefficient for most of his career.

and he is obviously truly great.
LebronsCavs
Banned User

Post#17 » by LebronsCavs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:29 pm

Malinhion wrote:
LebronsCavs wrote:This article should shut the kobe fans up. Kobe is a stat padder, not until this year did he kind of understand how to win.

Do you even attempt to add anything to the discussion?

I'm putting you on the ignore list until you're banned.

I've noticed you bring nothing to the discussion, but your homerism and your love of Kobe.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#18 » by Baller 24 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:24 pm

Solid article, now before I do anything:

Bookmarked, indiefan, if you find anymore relevant to this player, you post them.

Thanks
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
indiefan23
Sophomore

Post#19 » by indiefan23 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:31 pm

Frosty wrote:Who are these high totals against? If you believe this scoring to win theory, you may be surprised. I'm going to call it the 27, 32, 60, 32, 22, 33, 23, 37, 22, 52 club. Those are the opponent season win totals of Kobe's top 10 scoring games. 1.5 quality wins vs Dallas and Houston... the only .450+ teams. 1.5 as Vs. Houston he scored 53 twice in the same season going 1-1. LA was supposed to win the others. Its really a revision to say Kobe was shooting "because its the only way they could win" instead of padding his stats.

I've been saying this for years but never actually looked at the stats. Kobe is a bottom feeder :lol:

Nice! I'm glad we agree on something frosty, even if we don't agree on old schoolers. ;0 but to be honest, I appreciate your input on the era debate. Thats the kind of stuff I come to places like this for.
Check out fullcourtpest.com, a place for intelligent, through and humorous basketball analysis.

indiefan23
Sophomore

Post#20 » by indiefan23 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Kobay wrote:I didn't know stat nerds were having a party today.

When you write something like this I usually take a count of the number of insults that are thrown my way from whoever's fans. The number of insults usually corresponds with how accurate the analysis is. I was getting worried for a second, but thanks to you, "Kobay" I'm confident its on the right track. I'm going to add the accuracy meter to the first post. Thanks again.

Return to Player Comparisons