Scoring Assist Differential - Breaking Down The Kobe Laker E

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Re: Scoring Assist Differential - Breaking Down The Kobe Laker E 

Post#81 » by Jordan23Forever » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 am

Asianiac_24 wrote:Kobe could of easily scored over 81 against Dallas when he dropped 62 in 3 quarters.

Wow, so Kobe could have "easily" scored 20+ points in the 4th that game, despite the fact that the only reason he had that many points through 3 quarters was because he was gifted 18 FT's in the third quarter? Yeah, doubtful...

Lastly, the biggest myth of all Kobe hate posts, "Kobe does not make his teammates better". Funny because almost EVERYONE who played with Kobe avged career high in FG% in LA. Smush, Cook, Odom, Gasol, Turiaf, you name it.

How many of those guys had played in the triangle under Phil Jackson before? Yeah, that's what I thought. It's not informative to compare players' FG% pre-triangle and under the triangle, because they're completely different systems. The triangle itself should boost players' efficiency, especially role players. Kobe's a factor in that, but far from the only one.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,599

Post#82 » by Asianiac_24 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:11 am

Wow, so Kobe could have "easily" scored 20+ points in the 4th that game, despite the fact that the only reason he had that many points through 3 quarters was because he was gifted 18 FT's in the third quarter? Yeah, doubtful...

Kobe was on that game, he was making every shot. I don't think its stupid to say Kobe could of dropped 80+ had he played the 4th quarter. There was a pretty high chance.

How many of those guys had played in the triangle under Phil Jackson before? Yeah, that's what I thought. It's not informative to compare players' FG% pre-triangle and under the triangle, because they're completely different systems. The triangle itself should boost players' efficiency, especially role players. Kobe's a factor in that, but far from the only one.

Why is it that when Kobe's teammates got better, its because of the system, but if they become worse, its because of Kobe? People will use anything to discredit Kobe. The Lakers don't even run the triangle that much anymore.
indiefan23
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#83 » by indiefan23 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:11 pm

wallflower wrote:To be honest its not that stat you used that bugged me, but the conclusions you drew from them. Your stat could be accurate for all I know (am terrible at understanding stats) and within normal confidence interval but that doesnt mean it says half the stuff you claim it does.

That's quite valid and something I'll totally accept wallflower. The conclusions, as stated, are somewhat subjective. No one can get them all right nor do I put that expectation on myself. I do think that I got some things right. If you'd like we can talk about which ones I got right/wrong. I'm willing to accept there are both.

All it says is that when Kobe scores a lot there is a tendency for his box score to have less assists. That has nothing to do with his character (selfish? lol) or what happened during the game, or his motivations for making the plays he does. If you want a scientific approach with mathematical conclusions, then fine make them dont confound your findings with anything psychological because it clearly doesnt show any of that.

Hmm... I don't know if its that clear at all. Thing is, I said something to the tune of this before based on games I've watched over the years and some Kobe fans came back and said I was just full of crap, look at his high assist totals, the numbers don't support that at all they said, so I made a stat that shows exactly what you said, and it supported what I thought before the stat was made. Its also pretty congruent with the reputations that most players in this league have. Jordan/Iverson/Kobe are all seen as a little more selfish then Lebron/Wade/Arenas.

Lastly, that's all my stat says because that's all its supposed to say. The stat alone does not mean a player is selfish, however I think failing to involve your teammates when you get it going, which this stat does show, is a pretty solid knock against you in the selfish direction.
Check out fullcourtpest.com, a place for intelligent, through and humorous basketball analysis.

Latest article: LayMan's Math: Wilt Chamberlain's Sexual Statistics
indiefan23
Sophomore

Post#84 » by indiefan23 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:49 pm

kflo wrote:did kobe play well in the 96 games your "stat" is based on? and how does your "stat" answer that question?

It doesn't, nor does any stat do this on it's own. If a magic number stat existed telling us who did well and who did not we would just look it up. Thats what running is like. You run faster, you did better. End of story. We could just refer to that number but hoop is not like that at all. Your expectations are just a little too high so I don't know what you want me, or my stat to say that would make you happy. If you want to know how I felt about Kobe's play you're welcome to read the article where I wrote 4-5 thousand words on the matter.
Check out fullcourtpest.com, a place for intelligent, through and humorous basketball analysis.

indiefan23
Sophomore

Post#85 » by indiefan23 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:54 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:Kobe was on that game, he was making every shot. I don't think its stupid to say Kobe could of dropped 80+ had he played the 4th quarter. There was a pretty high chance.

Could have? For sure. 'n yea, his shots were falling really well.

Why is it that when Kobe's teammates got better, its because of the system, but if they become worse, its because of Kobe? People will use anything to discredit Kobe. The Lakers don't even run the triangle that much anymore.[/quote]

Why is it when Kobe's production goes down its because of the triangle and his crap teammates and when they win its because of Kobe? Kobe's not the only factor at all, but he's for sure one of the biggest factors because he's the best guy on his team and did have okay role players. Not fantastic, but not horrible. I think LA fans are so used to stacked teams that when they had an even half-way normal one where their 9'th men would start on their final's oppoentes they think its somehow unfair to them and their star should get a pass for stat padding.

LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#86 » by LakerFanMan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:15 pm

It's kind of hard to claim that you're being unbiased or that you don't have and agenda when you spend literally paragraphs comparing Kobe's help in the Lakers' losing years to Lebron's help. Or when you spend time talking about how kobe had his best scoring efforts came against bad teams. It's also very difficult to claim you're being unbiased when you use phrases like "jacked up" when you describe Kobe's shooting. It helps to use neutral words and phrases when you're speaking of something you claim to be unbiased about.

The "scoring against bad teams" and "having good teammates" arguments have been argued countless times in countless threads around here. If you want to hear counter-arguments are on those points, go read any one of the countless threads that have been made on the subjects. They've been argued to death around here, but it might be good for you to at least glance through them. Ill only say this, you're break downs of Kwame Brown and Smush Parker are, no offense, but a little funny. There is a reason why Smush parker was nothing before going to the Lakers and why he is out of the league now. There is also a reason why Kwame Brown doesn't play any more. They're bad ball players. They both have very low bball IQ's. I'm hoping that you did spend time watching them play and didn't just draw your conclusions from a few good games or series that you may have found stats from. You also fail to point out that they had the best seasons of their careers playing with Kobe.

As far as Caron and Odom, Caron was NOT an all star caliber player at that time in his career and Odom has never been an all star. Wade got to the playoffs with them, not only because he played really well, but mostly because the East was a joke for nearly a solid decade after MJ retired. There were several teams under .500 routinely making the playoffs in the east. In the west, teams had to be over .500 to even have a shot.

You also make the point that if MJ, Lebron, and other top scores had had less assists and took more shots they would have scored a lot more points, ala Kobe. That's assuming that their shooting percentages stayed the same, which they probably would not have. Most likely, their %'s would have regressed closer to their averages. It's almost like saying a player who puts up 20 points on 20 shots, while shooting way above his normal shooting percentage, will score 40 points on 40 shots. Basic statistics tell us that, mostly likely, wouldn't happen.

Your statistic seems well thought out and as close to unbiased as possible (all statistics have bias and flaws). However, you obviously have a bias as far as Kobe is concerned. I'm not knocking you, I'm just telling you what's obvious. There is nothing wrong with not liking a player or thinking a player is overrated. There are plenty I also feel that way about. What I'm getting at is this, just because you have a stat that is relatively unbiased, doesn't mean you are using that stat in an unbiased way. It happens all the time. Your statistic is good and relatively unbiased, but the conclusions you draw from it are obviously based on how you feel about Kobe, the Lakers, and/or Laker fans. Again, it's no knock on you, it's just something that's nearly impossible to avoid when you feel strongly about a subject.
LebronsCavs
Banned User

Post#87 » by LebronsCavs » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:
LebronsCavs wrote:This article should shut the kobe fans up. Kobe is a stat padder, not until this year did he kind of understand how to win.

And Lebron understands how to win? :lol: Last time I checked he has as much rings as you and me in his 7 year career

He has been in the league for six years...
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 895

Post#88 » by Wile E. Coyote » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:11 pm

LebronsCavs wrote:He has been in the league for six years...

Six long years...
wallflower
Senior
And1: 108

Post#89 » by wallflower » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 pm

I think Kobe does stat pad and chase records but I dont think he does it to the detriment of winning or the growth of his teammates or the team. So no I dont think you can accurately label him selfish, ambitious? Maybe thats too positive of a word but I dont think selfish is right either. You also have to be fair too though in that all superstars pad stats and chase records, Bird was notorious for it and even Lebron pads his rebounding and assists numbers when he's close to a triple double. Does that make them "selfish"? No I dont think so. Does that dimminish their accomplishments as players? No I dont think so either...
indiefan23
Sophomore

Post#90 » by indiefan23 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:34 am

wallflower wrote:I think Kobe does stat pad and chase records but I dont think he does it to the detriment of winning or the growth of his teammates or the team. So no I dont think you can accurately label him selfish, ambitious? Maybe thats too positive of a word but I dont think selfish is right either. You also have to be fair too though in that all superstars pad stats and chase records, Bird was notorious for it and even Lebron pads his rebounding and assists numbers when he's close to a triple double. Does that make them "selfish"? No I dont think so. Does that dimminish their accomplishments as players? No I dont think so either...

Clap clap to you wallflower. I think you're one of my fave posters on here. I agree, but I do think it hurts his team. Do all stars stat pad? To an extend, and I think Lebron was guilty of this a year or two ago for sure. Wade I think came into the league a mature player. He got it right away. Jordan saved his best for his best competition. Here are a couple of stats I just cranked out.

top 10 scoring games opponent win averages

Kobe: 33
Lebron: 33
Wade: 44
Jordan: 47

Those numbers suggest Jordan was a guy who scored more to help his team win vs much better teams. Wade too. But Lebron/Kobe do not look so hot. Good post. Repped.

indiefan23
Sophomore

Post#91 » by indiefan23 » Tue Mar 8, 2011 7:38 am

Hmm... so where's the prof mod... are you going to ban me again when you have no response to this article?

Return to Player Comparisons